ASUS announces their own handheld pc

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
No the prices do not overlap, the bulk of consumers always go for the entry model and there is a $200 difference between them bruh...

Case and point, look at the SD sales numbers, the only SKU constantly sold out is the $300 model...There is a reason for that, most people rather spend that $500 on a PS5...

The performance of the entry level SKU needs to be DOUBLE that of a SD entry level SKU and be on par with a PS5 to warrant that $600 price tag. In other words games that run at 30FPS on a $300 SD need to run at 60FPS on this ASUS joint with better battery performance and push equal performance to a PS5...I'll confidently bet against this...
I don't think most people are buying a handheld to replace their console, or PC. a handheld has to make compromises to be portable. and if being portable isn't important to you, there are better options to play games

the Switch is a different situation, because it's the only option to play their games. and I'm sure a lot of people would prefer a dedicated Nintendo console if it was available

and the entry level SD is $399, not $300

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
No the prices do not overlap, the bulk of consumers always go for the entry model and there is a $200 difference between them bruh...

Case and point, look at the SD sales numbers, the only SKU constantly sold out is the $300 model...There is a reason for that, most people rather spend that $500 on a PS5...

The performance of the entry level SKU needs to be DOUBLE that of a SD entry level SKU and be on par with a PS5 to warrant that $600 price tag. In other words games that run at 30FPS on a $300 SD need to run at 60FPS on this ASUS joint with better battery performance and push equal performance to a PS5...I'll confidently bet against this...
The $399 Steam Deck is unusable longterm without the additional purchase of a large microSD card, so the true cost of a Steam Deck really starts around. $450.

Valve has never released sales figures for the Steam Deck and it's not wise to assume they make all SKUs in equal amounts, especially when most believe the $399 model is a lost leader. The better assumption is Valve makes far fewer of the entry level model than the top SKU. EV automakers have openly admitted this strategy over the past few years. I also witnessed personally as a retailer.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I don't think most people are buying a handheld to replace their console, or PC. a handheld has to make compromises to be portable. and if being portable isn't important to you, there are better options to play games

the Switch is a different situation, because it's the only option to play their games. and I'm sure a lot of people would prefer a dedicated Nintendo console if it was available

and the entry level SD is $399, not $300
Nobody is buying a handheld to replace a console...

Most console gamers only have the choice to spend $600 on one and its not going to be the handheld...Most PC gamers if they had $600 to spend would rather put it towards a GPU, most according to STEAM numbers are on GTX 1660s because they can't afford better...Entry price matters, that is why the SD entry SKU is always sold out...It offers PC gamers on a GTX 1660 a mid tier PC performance experience for less than a console and a GPU upgrade...

The only people copping this ASUS joint are the same that copped a high tier SD SKU and all these other handhelds no one ever heard of...

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I don't know why this appeals to me more than the steam deck does.
I'm sure there a great deal of FOMO here but for some reason, I can't shake it. I do like Asus stuff, it's quality. My dual monitor setup are Asus monitors and they are nice. For hardware, I only intended on buying the Quest 3 whenever it drops but it looks like I might have another piece of hardware to get in the meantime.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

Wow. Not the first time I've heard the in-hand comfort may be a problem, but that 40watt battery is news to me. Even though I rarely travel with my Steam Deck, even at home I almst never play it while plugged in. So the battery may he a problem for me. Everything else confirms why I want to buy it day one though. I'm so tired of checking ProtonDB for every game's steam deck compatibility before purchase.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I wonder if Best Buy will have these available today. I’m gonna check on my way home.

Highly doubt it. I know some people were saying today is the actual launch day and I don't see it. I think today pre orders will go live through the best buy website if I had to guess. But I don't think the actual device will launch until next month.

We'll know in 20 mins lol.