Ask A Coli Breh Living in S. Africa ANYTHING (Now w/ Pics)

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Any updates?
Not much. I spent some time in Cape but mostly weekend getaways and shyt. Lots of new artsy fartsy type of places but that may have to do more with where I’m staying. I’m off Kloof which isn’t too bad. Central to bars and Long St. stayed at a flat in the Claremont area and highly recommend that. If I knew better, I would have stayed out more towards Woodstock. You got Old Biscuit Mill Market and the vibe out there is super laid back. A bit out the way from the CBD but idc. I’m doing more chilling and shyt this trip anyway. Just woke up from a long ass day of day drinking and rooftop hopping. It’s model season so some of the baddest bytches are in town and films/photo shoots are being shot all over. Probably gonna get a spot in Hout Bay for the rest of my stay midweek

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Not much. I spent some time in Cape but mostly weekend getaways and shyt. Lots of new artsy fartsy type of places but that may have to do more with where I’m staying. I’m off Kloof which isn’t too bad. Central to bars and Long St. stayed at a flat in the Claremont area and highly recommend that. If I knew better, I would have stayed out more towards Woodstock. You got Old Biscuit Mill Market and the vibe out there is super laid back. A bit out the way from the CBD but idc. I’m doing more chilling and shyt this trip anyway. Just woke up from a long ass day of day drinking and rooftop hopping. It’s model season so some of the baddest bytches are in town and films/photo shoots are being shot all over. Probably gonna get a spot in Hout Bay for the rest of my stay midweek

You said you were doing consulting there right? You are with an American company with operations there?

I looked up gigs in Cape town and theres a ton of stuff there I see (of course more in JoBurg but :mjpls:).

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
You said you were doing consulting there right? You are with an American company with operations there?

I looked up gigs in Cape town and theres a ton of stuff there I see (of course more in JoBurg but :mjpls:).
No, I worked out of the embassy in PTA

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Have you witnessed any muggings, robberies, or violent crime while in Jo'burg? Whether day or night.
Think I stated one at the beginning of this thread but we used to be based right next to the Gautrain station in PTA and this college aged chick was standing on the corner with her phone out and this dude walked by and rocked the shyt out of her jaw.

Then there was the time I almost got carjacked in the Dube section of Soweto. Should have been smarter about that one but it happened but still didn’t change how I felt about the country overall. Chick I was with last night was telling me how her friend got carjacked at a light near the waterfront. CPT crime is slick tho. You just need to not get comfortable and not be super flashy

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Think I stated one at the beginning of this thread but we used to be based right next to the Gautrain station in PTA and this college aged chick was standing on the corner with her phone out and this dude walked by and rocked the shyt out of her jaw.

Then there was the time I almost got carjacked in the Dube section of Soweto. Should have been smarter about that one but it happened but still didn’t change how I felt about the country overall. Chick I was with last night was telling me how her friend got carjacked at a light near the waterfront. CPT crime is slick tho. You just need to not get comfortable and not be super flashy

What I find interesting is that crime in South Africa is up there with the Venezuelas, El Salvadors, Brazils and Mexicos of the world. In the countries I mentioned, political infighting, drugs and gangs play a huge part in the high levels of violent crime.

What exactly is driving violent crime so much in South Africa. It can't be just poverty because other African countries have poverty as well(Nigeria for example) but that country does not see as much violent crime.

I honestly find it very intriguing. I, as a Nigerian, always viewed South Africa as "the West" of Africa or a "poorman's Europe". But to hear the crime (and rape) is so high is baffling.

Also, what's up with SA and rape? I had a family friend that moved out of SA back to Nigeria once their daughter hit puberty. They said there was a rape problem in SA. Add in the fact that SA is in the top 5 for adult HIV infection rate and you have a recipe for disaster.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
What I find interesting is that crime in South Africa is up there with the Venezuelas, El Salvadors, Brazils and Mexicos of the world. In the countries I mentioned, political infighting, drugs and gangs play a huge part in the high levels of violent crime.

What exactly is driving violent crime so much in South Africa. It can't be just poverty because other African countries have poverty as well(Nigeria for example) but that country does not see as much violent crime.

I honestly find it very intriguing. I, as a Nigerian, always viewed South Africa as "the West" of Africa or a "poorman's Europe". But to hear the crime (and rape) is so high is baffling.

Also, what's up with SA and rape? I had a family friend that moved out of SA back to Nigeria once their daughter hit puberty. They said there was a rape problem in SA. Add in the fact that SA is in the top 5 for adult HIV infection rate and you have a recipe for disaster.

:mjpls:

IF you notice, most of the most dangerous countries like the ones you mentioned had some sort of racial caste system due to apartheid/slavery/segregation, etc. . .

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Bro, I'll be in Jo'Burg in a couple of weeks. I'll be in Maboneng Precinct in an AirBnb, anything I should keep an eye out for?
Maboneng Precinct has 24 hour armed security guards. the whole compolex is very very safe. As long as you don't stray too far at night, but why on earth did you choose to actually live there?:stopitslime:... Should've copped a place in the North of Johannesburg. Not Downtown.

Anyway since you're gonna be there, Braamfontein needs to be your chill spot. Them Milleneial bytchs is back in Varsity and its the beggining of the year.(Summertime), if you wanna spit Game that's the place to be.:takedat:

Also as a way to make yourself ''King" of your environment, you must go to ALL the shops, resturants, museums,sneaker spots, DJ/Music spaces etc etc that you will frequent, ask to speak to the manager/owner and just introduce yourself as the 'American'', ask as many questions about how long the business has been running, which side of Johannesburg does that person stay, what made them start that particular business, have they been to Cape Town or outside of SA, (the more you ask about them the more they willo reveal)etc etc , it builds commaraderry and you must really act impressed and awed by their life story "wow..wow" "you're a bigger than me, that sounds scray" ''thats incredible", suck up and boost their ego etc.
This will endear you to owners and managers locally, long term they will hook you up with information, freebies, possibly introduce to their social/work circles of influence, and look out for you in terms of advising you where to go and what to do etc:wow:.

Don't do that just in Maboneng but all the spots in Braamfintein too.

How long are you gonna be in JHB/SA?
willo you be hitting up Cape Town ?

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
:mjpls:

IF you notice, most of the most dangerous countries like the ones you mentioned had some sort of racial caste system due to apartheid/slavery/segregation, etc. . .
South Africa has a geographical, almost structural racism.

Think of it like Chicago (Blacks being alloowed to kill and harm themselves in their own demarcated areas). They take a large portion of the black population and leave them in an underdeveloped poor area far away from the white rich areas.
In these areas due to the economoic and socio political (white supremacy) conditions everything negatuve and bad will be high. Crime, Rape, High Jackings, skin bleaching, white jesus , buying expesive shoes while living in a shack, these are are ALL pathologies of victims of racism.
When you go to a white area oozing with abanduntant reseouces none of these ailmements and pathologies exist. When they do statistics on South Africa they do NOT give you the WHITE SUPREMACIST/RACISM HISTROICAL AND NEO COLONIAL CONTEXT upon which every aspect of life is dictated by.
The people getting mugged, raped and living in constant fear are the black people in the Townships/Hood.
All the gruesome crime and pathologies exist there, if you're a tourist you will not be anywhere near there. It's the exact same thing in Rio (Brasil), the Favalas are not really that far from the tourist/upper white places in Rio but the chances of you really getting mugged there are slim to none, but when they do crime statsitics they don't give you such a context.

Also the arbitrary FEAR of anything pertainibng to anything majority black ,is just how most people have been conditioned for 500 years and coutning. London, Paris, Manchester, Milan , Rome etc have the some of the most violent and crime infested areas in the world, if you're going to such mega cities danger is always there but there is absolutely never ever any negative coniotation associated with example visiting New York. Yet if you wanna go visit Haiti it's very common to be warned about the crime, kidnappings etc etc

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:lupe: Are you worried about the Jacob Zuma situation OP?