Ask A Coli Breh Living in S. Africa ANYTHING (Now w/ Pics)

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
What's popular in terms of music at the moment?
Need some fire tbh
lot of House joints (shyt all sounds the same to me). Depends on the crowd. Taking a break from hanging with the professional types and more with the hipsters and weirdos. Have more fun hanging out with them. You'd do better asking @rogue_riezo @Chief or @DOUBLE UP

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Lucky_Lefty

How you eating? Anything interesting cuisine wise?

Also I think you said earlier in the thread you didnt have broadband, you still not hooked up?:jbhmm:

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
How you eating? Anything interesting cuisine wise?

I'm eating like I usually eat back in the States. Only thing I've had out of the ordinary was goat head and tongue with pap. Went to a fancy ass spot in the winelands of Cape Town last weekend. Wasn't really my thing. Fine dining to the max. Had to google half the shyt on the menu. :yeshrug: I'm just a regular ass niqqa from Georgia breh. I work with snobs all week. so hanging with them or those like them on the weekend is a no go

Also I think you said earlier in the thread you didnt have broadband, you still not hooked up?
yea, I got it now. Not bad. Still doesn't compare to your avg American ISP but it'll do. Hasn't hampered my netfilx watching but streaming things from the WatchESPN or ABC is the worse. Have to log off all my devices on wifi and only on my AppleTV/firestick

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
uh, no they don't actually. They align themselves with everything white or "coloured" as much as possible. Even when talking about regular everyday stuff, they say "the South Africans" or "the Blacks". And they say it so nonchalantly and with a certain snobbery. Kinda like a southern redneck.

I was riding by a two townships the other day and even THAT is segregated. Coloureds on one side of the highway, blacks on the other. Not saying all, but I don't know too many "coloureds" who date black. Some will date white before they even date coloured so it is a fukked up mindset. And I'm slowly starting to see that it's not just a SA thing. One of the chicks kickin it with us this weekend is from Nigeria is lite bright and we were talking dating and shyt. She emphatically let it be known that she would only date Nigerian (which is her prerogative) but she went further and went that if he isn't as light as she or white, then they have no chance. The dark skin chick from Ghana cosigned everything. I'm sitting at the table thinking, "damn you really hate the skin you're in/black people". But they are heavily Euro influenced and split their time between their home countries and London. But if they like it I love it. Don't make me none

The bad news is girls like that are more common that we like to think, both in Africa and beyond.

The good news: they aren't the majority :ahh:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Lucky_Lefty

How you feeling about being out there for some time now? The newness wore off?:patrice:

Speak on anything you feel breh just wondering:lupe:

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
really not that bad. You have a cage between you and the shark. There was some brave cac from Sweden who threw on the scuba gear with the dive master and did his own thing w/o the cage

@Lucky_Lefty

How you feeling about being out there for some time now? The newness wore off?:patrice:

Speak on anything you feel breh just wondering:lupe:
Yea, I don't really get looked at any different but that's only in Pretoria. I go to other parts of Gauteng or any other province and I feel like a gawd. Whenever I go on site surveys, someone tells someone, who tells another person that there's a guy from America at the school/clinic. AND he's black and next thing you know, getting fukkin swarmed by kids and adults. I have no problems with it whatsoever. I'm here to help do my part however I can. I got pics from schools I've rebuilt and the ones they were in make you wanna lose your shyt. You get mad at the local and national govt and wonder how can they allow their people to live like this. shyt is heartbreaking breh. (I'll post the pics when my time is up here)

I was talking to my coworker on how it feels to be black, in a majority black country and feel like an outsider. It's probably extremely difficult for her because she's a woman. Me, not so bad. I can make moves and not have to worry about safety all that much. Don't have to worry about being bum rushed by thirsty dudes or cats that will try some shyt just because you're a different gender. But we were talking about you'd expect a lot of like conscious peeps and though there are some, everyone pretty much makes moves that only deal with their day to day (which I'm not mad at all about). I did expect their to be a lot of black pride type shyt but it's really not.

For everyone who comes here, have your fun in KZN, Western Cape, Gauteng, but go out and explore the other provinces. Even Free State which may be the most racist fukkin place I've been to overseas. I see a real sense of community when I go out to these areas because they lack a lot of the creature comforts that the main 3 provinces have in abundance.

I've already spoke on the coloured vs. black thing. I'm getting use to that but even then, I don't care. My time here is winding down. I will go back with a better understanding of self. Even though some look at me as a foreigner, I still look at them all as MY PEOPLE. Just a bigger, spiritual meaning for me meeting them than vice versa. God willing, I'll be moving back here in 3-5 years.

@Lucky_Lefty did you take the yellow fever shot and what type of malaria pills?
Took the shot before I left DC but no malaria pills. Apparently you only need them if you're going into certain provinces. TB is extremely bad here

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
really not that bad. You have a cage between you and the shark. There was some brave cac from Sweden who threw on the scuba gear with the dive master and did his own thing w/o the cage

Yea, I don't really get looked at any different but that's only in Pretoria. I go to other parts of Gauteng or any other province and I feel like a gawd. Whenever I go on site surveys, someone tells someone, who tells another person that there's a guy from America at the school/clinic. AND he's black and next thing you know, getting fukkin swarmed by kids and adults. I have no problems with it whatsoever. I'm here to help do my part however I can. I got pics from schools I've rebuilt and the ones they were in make you wanna lose your shyt. You get mad at the local and national govt and wonder how can they allow their people to live like this. shyt is heartbreaking breh. (I'll post the pics when my time is up here)

I was talking to my coworker on how it feels to be black, in a majority black country and feel like an outsider. It's probably extremely difficult for her because she's a woman. Me, not so bad. I can make moves and not have to worry about safety all that much. Don't have to worry about being bum rushed by thirsty dudes or cats that will try some shyt just because you're a different gender. But we were talking about you'd expect a lot of like conscious peeps and though there are some, everyone pretty much makes moves that only deal with their day to day (which I'm not mad at all about). I did expect their to be a lot of black pride type shyt but it's really not.

For everyone who comes here, have your fun in KZN, Western Cape, Gauteng, but go out and explore the other provinces. Even Free State which may be the most racist fukkin place I've been to overseas. I see a real sense of community when I go out to these areas because they lack a lot of the creature comforts that the main 3 provinces have in abundance.

I've already spoke on the coloured vs. black thing. I'm getting use to that but even then, I don't care. My time here is winding down. I will go back with a better understanding of self. Even though some look at me as a foreigner, I still look at them all as MY PEOPLE. Just a bigger, spiritual meaning for me meeting them than vice versa. God willing, I'll be moving back here in 3-5 years.

Took the shot before I left DC but no malaria pills. Apparently you only need them if you're going into certain provinces. TB is extremely bad here

Oh when you leaving, and did you make it to Zanzibar this weekend?

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Oh when you leaving, and did you make it to Zanzibar this weekend?
Nah. Delayed the trip. Perks of being on someones buddy pass :winning: I'm out of here Jan '17 but there's a similar position I'm in now in Liberia, Uganda, and Rwanda that I want to take

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Nah. Delayed the trip. Perks of being on someones buddy pass :winning: I'm out of here Jan '17 but there's a similar position I'm in now in Liberia, Uganda, and Rwanda that I want to take
oh so you will still be in Africa ok.. yea you maybe ready for tha tdual citizenship.. Im not sure what the buddy pass is but my girl work for Qatar airways, that discount:win::lawd:

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
oh so you will still be in Africa ok.. yea you maybe ready for tha tdual citizenship.. Im not sure what the buddy pass is but my girl work for Qatar airways, that discount:win::lawd:
I can get on any flight at a crazy low price if space is available.