Asian stars of "Hawaii Five-0" quit cause CBS refused to pay them as much as white co-stars

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I haven't watched this show since around the second season, but I was wondering why they left after I saw the news.

fukked up situation. All it would have taken was some solidarity from the two leads because 10-15% is already really damn close so I can't see a reason why CBS wouldn't have buckled. 20% or more, yeah, but what they were asking for probably wouldn't have equated to more than 20-30k more an ep which isn't a lot for a show that's an international hit.

:patrice:

Still...

The other half of the story is probably that Caan and the Aussie didn't want them to be paid the same since technically they do carry the show, but at the point where you're all probably clearing 100k+ an episode, who gives a shyt.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
And on another note, how is Grace Park 43 but still looks around 30?

41139919_grace_001.jpg

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
For not officially being the leads, both of them had whole seasons based around what their characters were doing. So I could understand what they are saying but they are all C/D list actors so I probably would have just kept the easy check coming in. The show was sent to the death spot on Friday night a few seasons ago but it has a core audience that's kept it from getting canceled. CBS didn't want to add more budget so I'm not sure how much leverage they really had.

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Wait, so Big Bang Theory, which is also on CBS, had the main actors take less so that all the actors make the same amount of money (like 7 main characters). But this show can't give everyone equal pay?

Yea BBT is a huge show but still, messed up

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I get what you are saying but CBS would have just cancelled it all together if everyone stood together. They don't have Seinfeld leverage.

They didn't need Seinfeld leverage - this show (at least very recently) prints money.

At one point it was being sold to cable for re-runs at $5 mill per episode and making an additional $2.5 mill per episode in foreign sales. That's the only reason it's still around. They moved it to Friday because nobody really watches it, but it prints money via cable and especially internationally.

If they were really only 10-15% away from the right number for the two Asian actors, solidarity probably woulda got it for them.

So with that said, the only thing that makes sense is the two leads didn't want them to get paid the same since they are technically the "leads"