As an almost day 1 fan of the 'Souls-Like' genre, Bloodborne is objectively the WORST 'souls-like' game of them all despite being a great game...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
From didn’t create the idea of collecting souls, respawning enemies, stamina based combat, either but here we are :francis:

What they did was make the first, REAL, action JRPG.

They took all the things from a classic 90s JRPG and made it 3D an real time action.

That’s what Dark Souls is. That’s what a Souls-like should be if we were being accurate with our descriptions.

:gucci:

Well I'm gonna need you to school me then because I never heard of an action RPG with stamina bar based combat and "you lose all your EXP when you die" until From Soft.

Fred.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:gucci:

Well I'm gonna need you to school me then because I never heard of an action RPG with stamina bar based combat and "you lose all your EXP when you die" until From Soft.

Fred.
Plenty of games had you lose xp and/or items upon death. Of the top of my head there’s diablo, and lots of MMOs back in the day did the same.

Like it said Souls is like a classic JRPG made into an action game. View the stamina bar as the ATB gauge from an final fantasy game.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I mean Demon Souls predated Thecoli breh IDK what youre trying to say here.
He's not saying shyt. Majority of people that played it on sohh loved the game. It got a ton of praise at release

It sold poorly because it was a new IP from a relatively unknown studio at the time and wasn't really promoted well. It grew a cult following and the series grew from there.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
one thing I do agree about OP on DS3 is the best soulslike game period. Its fukking perfect and has the best DLC oat.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So thats a no.
:mjlol:
Told you mind your business fakkit.
So I'm done. Played a bit of new game+ and the chalice dungeons.

My overall conclusion:

First off I really enjoyed my playtime, one of the best games this gen.

With that said I'd still rate this in 3rd place after DS1 and DS2.

I'll start with the positives. Bloodborne controls, graphics, and presentation are a new high for the series. Being next gen truly shows, the level of detail in the animations/environment is far and away better than any previous souls titles. There's so much detail going on. And the little things add up. You make a big swing at an enemy and miss, you can still see the momentum from you swing blow the fabric of the enemies outfit. It sounds small, but there's little details like this all over that make this game more immersive than previous titles.

The controls are a lot smoother and responsive. The previous souls games feel a bit clunky and laborious in comparison. The camera swings quickly and accurately, a I never felt like I was fighting against the controls like I did in previous souls games. A downside to this is it made the game easier. In DS1 and 2 you'd have to compensate for the clunky controls. In bloodborne it seems the dodge button is a bit OP. you can't get hit during the dodge animation and you cover a lot of ground when using it.

With that said, the omissions, far outweigh the improvements.

Bloodborne is VERY limited in combat options/strategy compared to the previous souls games. There are very few weapons; and they all kinda feel the same. I truly missed being able to use the huge spears or greatswords, or dual blades. There's really no option for making a range character. While the idea of using guns instead of sheilds was pretty cool, I found myself ignoring the gun altogether, except for the one or two bosses that were vulnerable to them. Also i chose my armor for pure cosmetic reasons, in previous titles the type of armor you wore made a huge difference.

My second gripe is the boss battles. It could be cause my better skill at souls games, but I felt like a bunch of the boss battles were very easy. I beat a couple of them on the first try(never did that in previous souls titles) and none of them were very memorable. They all pretty much require the same strategy, and a couple of them had "cheats" or secrets that made them too easy.

My 3rd negative is the level design. It seems like they read the complaints about the lack of shortcuts in DS2 and just went crazy with them in bloodborne. The levels were all kinda samey and forgettable. I was confused most of the time, and never felt like I had an intimate knoledge of the levels like i did with DS1 and 2. Also in both one and two a lot of the levels dictated the challenge/strategy. I.E. the water level at the end of DS2 with all the dudes shooting magic at you. The level itself made the challenge/strategy change, on top of the already challenging combat. Bloodborne didn't have any of that. The levels kinda blended together, and looking back I can't recall one level that stood out to me.

My final gripe is the final boss fight:beli:

It was kinda disappointing. The fight itself was good and challenging, but the build up was crap compared to the other games. In both DS1 and 2 the final level leading to the boss was very challenging, and required all the skills you learned so far. In bloodborne they just kinda tell you to fight the final boss.

All in all I think its a great game. The technical issues took away fromthe experince a bit and i wonder if some of my boss battles were effected by memory leaks, but all in all its another hit by FROM. Going forward I hope they shake things up a bit. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game, but that's 4 in a row now. Hopefully they step out and give is another awesome formula to fawn over before they drive this one into the ground.

In conclusion I'd give this game a 8.5 will be checking for the inevitable DLC

This isn’t even an overly negative assessment of the game. I liked it a lot. It just fell short in some ways. Same as what OP is saying here.

Y’all problem is that any even mild criticism of a “sony exclusive” y’all feel you need to feverishly defend.

:ufdup:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Plenty of games had you lose xp and/or items upon death. Of the top of my head there’s diablo, and lots of MMOs back in the day did the same.

Like it said Souls is like a classic JRPG made into an action game. View the stamina bar as the ATB gauge from an final fantasy game.

I'm asking what game had all those elements. There wasn't one until the Souls games.

There was 2D games, and games where you explore, and games where the world opens as you obtain power-ups....but nobody combined all those things until "Metroid".

There's a reason these games are called souls-like, and not diablo-like.

Regardless, RPG elements are in everything from "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" to "Horizon". Which is why it's not necessarily included in the souls-like formula.

Fred.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I'm asking what game had all those elements. There wasn't one until the Souls games.

There was 2D games, and games where you explore, and games where the world opens as you obtain power-ups....but nobody combined all those things until "Metroid".

Regardless, RPG elements are in everything from "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" to "Horizon". Which is why it's not necessarily included in the souls-like formula.

Fred.

Meach knows this, he fukkin wit you.

• Haha
Reactions: hex

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
He's not saying shyt. Majority of people that played it on sohh loved the game. It got a ton of praise at release

It sold poorly because it was a new IP from a relatively unknown studio at the time and wasn't really promoted well. It grew a cult following and the series grew from there.
Never said people didn’t like the game.

I said it wasn’t a huge success at launch and the people here arguing with me didn’t even play it.

All y’all talked PS3 era was uncharted, Gow, Infamous, Killzone, etc.

I really loved Heavy Rain and Demons souls, and it was clearly evident to me how much the other games were praised and talked about more than the games i liked. And that’s also reflected in the sales of the games.

None of this is made up. Y’all just like to argue what i’m saying for whatever reason.:smh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Fred.
No game had “all” of them.

But that ain’t what you said.

You said from didn’t create rpg elements therefore rpg elements shouldn’t be considered as needed in a “souls like”

I replied by saying they didn’t create any of it, they just put it all together in one package therefor you can’t just remove the RPG stuff and claim it’s a “Souls like”