As an almost day 1 fan of the 'Souls-Like' genre, Bloodborne is objectively the WORST 'souls-like' game of them all despite being a great game...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The issue here is people think Souls = RPG, and that isn't the case.

It is an RPG, but that's not why it's a Souls game.

If a game has a stamina bar, you lose progress (souls, echos, runes, etc.) and it's difficult....it's a souls-like.

It's not a souls-like simply because it has RPG elements.

Fred.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
shyt you just made a great argument for why I should give it a try…I feel comfortable saying more gamers in general prefer a more “relaxed” gaming experience like this
Bloodborne has a lot less going on and a lot less to learn than Dark Souls. It plays more like an action game than an RPG. Take that for what you will.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The issue here is people think Souls = RPG, and that isn't the case.

It is an RPG, but that's not why it's a Souls game.

If a game has a stamina bar, you lose progress (souls, echos, runes, etc.) and it's difficult....it's a souls-like.

It's not a souls-like simply because it has RPG elements.

Fred.
I agree with you that this is the way people classify the games, but i think OPs argument is that this shouldn’t be the case.

There’s so much more to what makes Dark Souls, it’s not really valid to call action games with souls elements a “souls-like”

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I agree with you that this is the way people classify the games, but i think OPs argument is that this shouldn’t be the case.

There’s so much more to what makes Dark Souls, it’s not really valid to call action games with souls elements a “souls-like”
Real talk, if you told me to play a game that plays more like Bloodborne(Thymesia, Lies of P, Steel Rising) because it is a 'SOULS-LIKE' and when I play it, it plays more like Bloodborne, I would feel some type of way because I know that Dark Souls and Bloodborne as far as their gameplay loops are different games. I'm expecting something different when I hear someone say something plays like Dark Souls.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I mean, it is the case though.

Souls-like games refer to any game directly influenced by things From created,.

OP is saying RPG elements should be considered a core tenent too....the issue is From didn't create any part of that.

Fred.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
What a coincidence that the two souls games meach feels are overrated are the two exclusives to playstation 🤔

9th most replies in the OT thread at that :dead:

edit: Forgot about this. shyt was so goofy that we had to get a banner for homie :russ:

DEwqHra.jpg

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Only flaw in BB is the main story line bosses kind of bleh.

everything else is perfect and DLC breaches it into goat territory.

cant agree with thread.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
None of you cared, played or talked about the Souls series until bloodborne. Look around it’s only Sony stans that praise that game and beg for a sequel while simultaneously now hating on Lies of P after it was announced as gamepass day 1

Goofy nikkas can never keep your story straight :mjlol:

What a coincidence that the two souls games meach feels are overrated are the two exclusives to playstation 🤔
The first game in a series is usually the weakest just by way of progression. I was literally the ONLY one of the regulars on this board that actually played and talked about the OG Demons souls. Ironically none of you cared about it till you had to stan the remake as a “PS5 exclusive launch game” :mjlol:

Pretty much all Long time Souls fans feel the same way about Bloodborne hence the existence of this thread. Especially considering how shytty it was on a technical level:scust:

Same for Sekiro which was only slightly better than bloodborne, and more technically sound, but still not touching the Souls Games.