As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course it is.

Listen to the FLOWS these jamaican dudes had back in the 70s and 80s...then listen to how dudes are rapping in 2010.

Straight. Swagger.
I thought so too until I heard these two songs. Mind you pigmeat was in the bronx and performed at the Apollo A LOT in the 60's. I have a big feeling the early rappers were copying him. When it comes to music blacks in the south, Jamaicans, and west africans got the music game on lock as far as history.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When we say music, do say "modern music" ? Because music didn't begin after WWII brehs. If we talking music from every times, the USA is not a main factor at all because its influence really started with the westernization of the world.
Anyway, if we're talking about contemporary music, I'd say, relatively to the population :
1. Jamaica
2. UK
3. USA

The UK is so influential, it's ridiculous how underestimated they are : trip-hop, dubstep, dnb, jungle, pop, punk rock, ska all came from here or was greatly influenced by the UK. And it's all because of the massive immigration for Jamaica in the 60s, so that's why JA >>>>>

That's true but none of that compares to the magnitude of Blues, Rock, Jazz and Hip Hop on a global scale to say nothing of Soul, Funk, Gospel and House music. The USA birthed hip hop which was highly influential to trip-hop (JA music as you said laid the groundwork too) and co-pioneered punk which was obviously rooted in American rock anyway.

US is the most influential country and it's only rivaled by Jamaica.

That said you're right though I was definitely underestimating UK especially as it relates to 90's stuff. DNB, Trip Hop and Jungle is my shyt :ohlawd:.

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
aight man lets have this conversation.

I see what youre saying but on an abstract level all youre doing is drawing a line in the sand between original ideas and subsequent innovation which expands on those ideas.

This is a distinction which shouldnt be made in an objective discussion on creativity.

Its also a distinction which is convenient if youre trying to imply that black artists are more creative and influential then white artists.

Its easy to say "white people stole Rock and Roll" and discard all the post 1950s developments in the genre if you have nothing invested in the genre.

But if we apply the same logic to hip hop, then Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash are the only artists who are truly creative and influential.

This discussion takes a different tone when your argument is effectively discrediting your favorite musicians, huh? :patrice:

Originality def counts for something, which is why the US (mostly on the shoulders of black artists) is easily the most influential music nation. And Jamaica is def in the convo. But innovation counts for something as well, so the UK has to be the second most influential

I mean shyt, man, have you listened to SGT Pepper front to back???:ufdup:

I feel what you're saying but The Clash were clearly referencing Jamaican music. UK's whole electronic dance scene with shyt like drum n bass and grime are clearly the products of West Indian immigrants.

I also take into account the resources and leverage a country has when ranking them. It's easier for the UK to spread it's music and provide it's musicians with the proper musical equipment to innovate (Abbey Roads Studios) than a country like Jamaica.

It's the same argument on a individual level when people try to say Daft Punk's last album was groundbreaking. Sure they did some cool things but their budget was 100x that of any bedroom producer who can't afford studio sessions with Pharrell and the dude who did the Starwars soundtrack.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel what you're saying but The Clash were clearly referencing Jamaican music. UK's whole electronic dance scene with shyt like drum n bass and grime are clearly the products of West Indian immigrants.

I also take into account the resources and leverage a country has when ranking them. It's easier for the UK to spread it's music and provide it's musicians with the proper musical equipment to innovate (Abbey Roads Studios) then a country like Jamaica.

It's the same argument on a individual level when people try to say Daft Punk's last album was groundbreaking. Sure they did some cool things but their budget was 100x that of any bedroom producer who can't afford studio sessions with Pharrell and the dude who did the Starwars soundtrack.

Great post.

Great point in the bolded.

Last edited:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison

I also take into account the resources and leverage a country has when ranking them. It's easier for the UK to spread it's music and provide it's musicians with the proper musical equipment to innovate (Abbey Roads Studios) then a country like Jamaica.

youre making good points but I think overall the movement that took place in the 60s/70s is too potent to deny. The British invasion was wild man.

And we couldnt even compete.. Brian Wilson lost his fukking mind trying to keep up with the Beatles :whoa:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison

I also take into account the resources and leverage a country has when ranking them. It's easier for the UK to spread it's music and provide it's musicians with the proper musical equipment to innovate (Abbey Roads Studios) than a country like Jamaica.

But yeah, UK music after 1979, something like that, is 100% influenced by Jamaicans

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
youre making good points but I think overall the movement that took place in the 60s/70s is too potent to deny. The British invasion was wild man.

And we couldnt even compete.. Brian Wilson lost his fukking mind trying to keep up with the Beatles :whoa:

Some would argue "Pet Sounds" is the greatest album ever (not me personally) but I see what you're saying. I think it's splitting hairs when you discuss the big 3. Now if we are talking ethnic impact, regardless of nationality, on music then we have a different discussion...

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Some would argue "Pet Sounds" is the greatest album ever (not me personally) but I see what you're saying. I think it's splitting hairs when you discuss the big 3. Now if we are talking ethnic impact, regardless of nationality, on music then we have a different discussion...
Yeah. only way you can make a case for white people is if you center your argument on the influence of classical music.

Ive always been unimpressed by that genre :comeon:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i don't know how anyone listens to chicago house music or the shyt in the 90s and claim that the UK is truly the originators of that.

...now they might have taken it to another level...but them europeans wasnt creating that shyt. You can't tell me otherwise.

...but Disclosure tho? :mjpls:...:noah: :ohlawd:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah. only way you can make a case for white people is if you center your argument on the influence of classical music.

Ive always been unimpressed by that genre :comeon:

I grew up playing a stringed instrument.

You've gotta have an appreciation for certain time periods. I'm more of a romantic/baroque guy... :ld:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
When we say music, do say "modern music" ? Because music didn't begin after WWII brehs. If we talking music from every times, the USA is not a main factor at all because its influence really started with the westernization of the world.
Anyway, if we're talking about contemporary music, I'd say, relatively to the population :
1. Jamaica
2. UK
3. USA

The UK is so influential, it's ridiculous how underestimated they are : trip-hop, dubstep, dnb, jungle, pop, punk rock, ska all came from here or was greatly influenced by the UK. And it's all because of the massive immigration for Jamaica in the 60s, so that's why JA >>>>>

bruh, the UK is not more influential than the US. Just stop trying to make that happen.

Half of what you mentioned was electronic music of various sub-genres.

Its probably 3rd or 4th.

I won't deny their impact on rock music...but the US had jazz, disco, r&B, motown, etc.

man...don't even get me started.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
I grew up playing a stringed instrument.

You've gotta have an appreciation for certain time periods. I'm more of a romantic/baroque guy... :ld:
Respect. I cant fukk with the baroque era though. They tried to make music into a science
Romanticism is where its at

Budda

Superstar
Daps
i don't know how anyone listens to chicago house music or the shyt in the 90s and claim that the UK is truly the originators of that.

...now they might have taken it to another level...but them europeans wasnt creating that shyt. You can't tell me otherwise.

...but Disclosure tho? :mjpls:...:noah: :ohlawd:

Garage>>>House

Garage is a UK genre.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
People keep mentioning Jamaica's low population. If population had anything to do with it than Nigeria would be the most influential. Jamaican success owes a great deal to the success of black american music on a global scale

Afro-beat ain't really reaching music influence as much as reggae is... I respect it, but we're talking top of the top here.

Hell, most africans pattern their shyt off of what the carribbean is putting together.