As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
Grime dated pretty badly.

Its one of those things you had to be around at the time to fully experience, and the three countries you named is wrong, for example Grime has a decent following in Canada as well.

Whenever I'm fukking around with my collection and put it on shuffle and a 2003 grime era track comes up (usually Kano) I'm like
4bUV7Ls.gif

OP started a good discussion, I have some posts to go back and dap. I definitely agree that Jamaicans should get bonus points or something for having a small overall population, including the diaspora, yet having this large of an influence on the direction of music in the last century.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Whenever I'm fukking around with my collection and put it on shuffle and a 2003 grime era track comes up (usually Kano) I'm like
4bUV7Ls.gif

OP started a good discussion, I have some posts to go back and dap. I definitely agree that Jamaicans should get bonus points or something for having a small overall population, including the diaspora, yet having this large of an influence on the direction of music in the last century.

LOOL, :russ: and Kano is one of the good ones. I can still play a lot of songs that were on Home Sweet Home, Kano was always very US influenced and had a more mature feel to his music, it the others with their million animated sound effects that are probably the worse. Its crazy because it used to to gass us up to no end when we were younger.

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most of you need to get your heads out your asses. Is Coca Cola really the greatest beverage of all time? Influence is not a good barometer of quality when talking about 20th century popular culture. It's not a coincidence that the biggest world power of the 20th century has the most influential entertainment industry in the world, and the former biggest world power is right behind it. African Americans have the privileges afford to them by the American media machine that Jamaicans don't. But Jamaicans as a former colony of a former super power themselves have a privilege neighboring Cuba for example didn't. I do not think Bob Marley or James brown were more talented than Beny More...who the fukk is Beny More though? Exactly. Cut off the tentacles the British & succeeding Americans have had around this planet and you would be guaranteed to see the 'influences' being talked about here greatly decreased.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Most of you need to get your heads out your asses. Is Coca Cola really the greatest beverage of all time? Influence is not a good barometer of quality when talking about 20th century popular culture. It's not a coincidence that the biggest world power of the 20th century has the most influential entertainment industry in the world, and the former biggest world power is right behind it. African Americans have the privileges afford to them by the American media machine that Jamaicans don't. But Jamaicans as a former colony of a former super power themselves have a privilege neighboring Cuba for example didn't. I do not think Bob Marley or James brown were more talented than Beny More...who the fukk is Beny More though? Exactly. Cut off the tentacles the British & succeeding Americans have had around this planet and you would be guaranteed to see the 'influences' being talked about here greatly decreased.

But influence is a byproduct of privilege. And your point was already made by me but it's not potent enough to disregard what did occur. It's never a level playing field and we should keep that in mind but you got to work with what you have in front of you, not hypotheticals.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
bruh, the UK is not more influential than the US. Just stop trying to make that happen.

Half of what you mentioned was electronic music of various sub-genres.

Its probably 3rd or 4th.

I won't deny their impact on rock music...but the US had jazz, disco, r&B, motown, etc.

man...don't even get me started.
Start it.
I didn't say the USA had no impact because absolutely speaking, they have the biggest one, nobody can deny that. I'm just saying that considering all its means and all its power, the impact is biased. IMO, you overestimate the influence of the US because :
- You're american
- The USA is the superpower of the world for more more than 90 years (well really since WWII) and has imposed its views, its tastes, its way of life on everybody through its entertainment (the "american way of life") so it's OBVIOUS that his influence is bigger than the rest of the world because they "birthed" that world.
- The USA is the World ruler culture-wise, and that's because the USA has enforced its policies and its paradigm through its entertainment (Hollywood, all the worldwide labels, tv shows) leading to the Westernization of our era.

That's why I said relatively speaking, the UK is more influential (and JA is more than both).
It's like stating that a millionaire who gave $1,000 to a charity gave more than a "thousandaire" who only gave $10. Yeah, it's obvious. But the millionaire only gave 0.1% of its fortune while the thousandaire gave 1%, i.e 10 times more. You got to relativize things. That's why, considering their means, JA and the UK achieved more than the USA (which rule the world) and had more influence. That's just what I mean.

That's true but none of that compares to the magnitude of Blues, Rock, Jazz and Hip Hop on a global scale to say nothing of Soul, Funk, Gospel and House music. The USA birthed hip hop which was highly influential to trip-hop (JA music as you said laid the groundwork too) and co-pioneered punk which was obviously rooted in American rock anyway.

US is the most influential country and it's only rivaled by Jamaica.

That said you're right though I was definitely underestimating UK especially as it relates to 90's stuff. DNB, Trip Hop and Jungle is my shyt :ohlawd:.
I don't disagree with the fact that quantity wise, the USA is above everybody because you have such a strike force, media wise, that it's impossible to even compete. But, I'm talking relatively. As said above, the only reason, the USA has that magnitude is because you rule the world, simple as that. If you objectivize everything and relativize the musical creativity of a country to its population and/or it's political power, it's not a debate that the UK is above the US. And that JA is above the two.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Start it.
I didn't say the USA had no impact because absolutely speaking, they have the biggest one, nobody can deny that. I'm just saying that considering all its means and all its power, the impact is biased. IMO, you overestimate the influence of the US because :
- You're american
- The USA is the superpower of the world for more more than 90 years (well really since WWII) and has imposed its views, its tastes, its way of life on everybody through its entertainment (the "american way of life") so it's OBVIOUS that his influence is bigger than the rest of the world because they "birthed" that world.
- The USA is the World ruler culture-wise, and that's because the USA has enforced its policies and its paradigm through its entertainment (Hollywood, all the worldwide labels, tv shows) leading to the Westernization of our era.

That's why I said relatively speaking, the UK is more influential (and JA is more than both).
It's like stating that a millionaire who gave $1,000 to a charity gave more than a "thousandaire" who only gave $10. Yeah, it's obvious. But the millionaire only gave 0.1% of its fortune while the thousandaire gave 1%, i.e 10 times more. You got to relativize things. That's why, considering their means, JA and the UK achieved more than the USA (which rule the world) and had more influence. That's just what I mean.

I don't disagree with the fact that quantity wise, the USA is above everybody because you have such a strike force, media wise, that it's impossible to even compete. But, I'm talking relatively. As said above, the only reason, the USA has that magnitude is because you rule the world, simple as that. If you objectivize everything and relativize the musical creativity of a country to its population and/or it's political power, it's not a debate that the UK is above the US. And that JA is above the two.

outside of some massive trends in rock music, what is the UK responsible for?

Some of the biggest singers out of the UK in the last 10 years are strictly in the vein of old-school big voices and soul singing.

keep trolling.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
UK music is almost entirely regurgitated American music or heavily influenced by imported West Indian sounds (including Jamaican of course).

It's really sad that they've fooled the masses into believing all that shyt is homemade. The Police, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Joy Division, Adele, Winehouse all of that shyt is highly derivative of American or Jamaican music. There's nothing original about Zeppelin or the Stones.

UK/British whites never created any music not based on American music from a popular music POV. They're even jacking American Banjo-based music/string band/Appalachian flavored stuff now:beli:

Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yeah. only way you can make a case for white people is if you center your argument on the influence of classical music.

Ive always been unimpressed by that genre :comeon:

White people didn't create classical music that came from the moors during their 700 year rule of Spain/ Europe.