As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course it is.

Listen to the FLOWS these jamaican dudes had back in the 70s and 80s...then listen to how dudes are rapping in 2010.

Straight. Swagger.

I miss the Jamaican swag in rap, when rappers would start rapping in Jamaican dialect. :ohlawd: KRS, Snoop and a whole lot of rappers usedot do this.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
we gon at like Jamaica don't only have one relevant genre though?:what:

we gon act like that one relevant genre, isn't one of the most beloved and revered genres ever?

name a place on earth that doesn't love reggae:rudy:

i don't even fukk with reggae like that, but :camby:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
breh your reaching hard over here

And that title goes to the uk/England btw

UK music is almost entirely regurgitated American music or heavily influenced by imported West Indian sounds (including Jamaican of course).

It's really sad that they've fooled the masses into believing all that shyt is homemade. The Police, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Joy Division, Adele, Winehouse all of that shyt is highly derivative of American or Jamaican music. There's nothing original about Zeppelin or the Stones.

Germany has contributed more to popular music than the UK. They pioneered electronic music and a few of the major styles like Trance (not that I'm into that shyt).

Last edited:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
we gon act like that one relevant genre, isn't one of the most beloved and revered genres ever?

name a place on earth that doesn't love reggae:rudy:

i don't even fukk with reggae like that, but :camby:

Reggae has more than enough major sub genres and cousin genres like dub, ska, dancehall etc.

Dude you quoted doesn't understand the magnitude.

skillz2

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
UK music is almost entirely regurgitated American music or heavily influenced by imported West Indian sounds (including Jamaican of course).

It's really sad that they've fooled the masses into believing all that shyt is homemade. The Police, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Joy Division, Adele, Winehouse all of that shyt has deep roots in American or Jamaican music. There's nothing original about Zeppelin or the Stones.

Germany has contributed more to popular music than the UK. They pioneered electronic music and a few of the major styles like Trance.

From a purely commercial standpoint you could argue that the UK is number one when you consider the number of huge selling artists they have produced relative to the size of the country. These are the type of artist's that appeal to the masses and leave a long lasting legacy. The list of artist's that achieved this from UK over the last half century is endless and just doesn't happen by chance.

No art form is ever 100% original different styles of music from the world over are having influence on each other.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
From a purely commercial standpoint you could argue that the UK is number one when you consider the number of huge selling artists they have produced relative to the size of the country. These are the type of artist's that appeal to the masses and leave a long lasting legacy. The list of artist's that achieved this from UK over the last half century is endless and just doesn't happen by chance.

No art form is ever 100% original different styles of music from the world over are having influence on each other.

It's not a matter of which nation is the most successful and produces the most famous people, it was a question of who's more influential. Clearly America and then Jamaica fathered most of these popular music styles. Eric Clapton is a lot more successful than all of the American bluesmen he ripped off but it would be ridiculous and foolish to call him more influential than them. The Insane Clown Posse have a way bigger fanbase than and appeal to the masses on a way larger scale than the Last Poets and Afrika Bambaataa but who's more influential to music?

Last edited:

BOBN

Pro
Daps
Track for track I got Pink Floyd and The Beatles on top of rock, worldwide. And obviously they did some original things.

But over here its almost like an inside joke that British acts sold Americas product back to them. I watched an extensive documentary interviewing a grip of the industry of the past and the gist of it was "silly white America, cant see the talent under their own nose (black America) so lets get this money".

And yeah Jamacian culture/music has its fingerprints all over Britsh urban music, moreso than US hiphop. Calling the British scene the most influential would be a stretch.

Last edited: