As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Track for track I got Pink Floyd and The Beatles on top of rock, worldwide. And obviously they did some original things.

But over here its almost like an inside joke that British acts sold Americas product back to them. I watched an extensive documentary interviewing a grip of the industry of the past and the gist of it was "silly white America, cant see the talent under their own nose (black America) so lets get this money".

And yeah Jamacian culture/music has its fingerprints all over Britsh urban music, moreso than US hiphop. Calling the British scene the most influential would be a stretch.
aight man lets have this conversation.

I see what youre saying but on an abstract level all youre doing is drawing a line in the sand between original ideas and subsequent innovation which expands on those ideas.

This is a distinction which shouldnt be made in an objective discussion on creativity.

Its also a distinction which is convenient if youre trying to imply that black artists are more creative and influential then white artists.

Its easy to say "white people stole Rock and Roll" and discard all the post 1950s developments in the genre if you have nothing invested in the genre.

But if we apply the same logic to hip hop, then Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash are the only artists who are truly creative and influential.

This discussion takes a different tone when your argument is effectively discrediting your favorite musicians, huh? :patrice:

Originality def counts for something, which is why the US (mostly on the shoulders of black artists) is easily the most influential music nation. And Jamaica is def in the convo. But innovation counts for something as well, so the UK has to be the second most influential

I mean shyt, man, have you listened to SGT Pepper front to back???:ufdup:

YourSavior

Your Savior
Daps
Reppin
BOSTON
bc579be915f64bbe2f8c94d7e2f5ad3f.jpg

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's true. My mother is Costa Rican, but her gradmothers on both sides came from Jamaica. I'm from

Brooklyn, so in the late 80s and early 90s reggae/dancehall was also a staple growing up. Anybody remembers the Earth Ruler vs Stone Love cassette tapes:banderas:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
It's true. My mother is Costa Rican, but her gradmothers on both sides came from Jamaica. I'm from

Brooklyn, so in the late 80s and early 90s reggae/dancehall was also a staple growing up. Anybody remembers the Earth Ruler vs Stone Love cassette tapes:banderas:

:dj2: I fukking do!!!.......EARTH RULER next to KING ADDIES is my 2nd favorite clashing sound........and not just because they came from BROOKLYN

Them boys were beasts when it came to dubplates...

and LEE MAJOR of EARTH RULER pon di mike when it came to shyt talking>>>> 50 CENT and GUCCI MANE TWITTER RANTS

I remember when they clashed ADDIES in a fight to the death clash till 5 in the morning.....and just flattened the venue with a SNOW dubplate ......"informer" going over the Stalag 16 riddem...

I was like :ohhh:

after that all you heard on the cassette was :bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback:

l

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
For once, I wholeheartedly agree with the OP about something. My parent's birthplace is virtually untouchable when it comes to musical influence. For an island that size and even a town within Kingston to have such a huge global impact is just staggering. Not to detract from the other islands, but Jamaica has that aura and mystique no other island can touch by a long shot.

Not to get too deep, but people (including Jamaicans themselves) also have a LOT to owe to the Rastafari movement when it comes to putting the island on the map.

Daps
lol UK gave birth to every single rock genre and The Beatles are the most influential band of all time