Are you really a feminist?

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I've stated we're not legally but socially denied things. Law can't fix society's mentality.

And no, I don't think I should have to teach my daughter how to dress or when to drink, etc. She should have the freedom to do whatever she wants, wherever she wants as long as she's not breaking any laws. No one teaches people how to avoid being murdered, we teach our children not to murder; same principle applies.

Having the law on your side is the biggest help to equality.

I still can't think of anything women are socially denied in America, tho.

Also, your daughter would have the freedom and does have the freedom to do what she wants. I already said that a rapist gon rape regardless. Feminism can't change that.

That still doesn't excuse you from teaching her not to walk down dark alleys unprotected. She can't control other people's actions, gotta stay safe.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
And no, I don't think I should have to teach my daughter how to dress or when to drink, etc. She should have the freedom to do whatever she wants, wherever she wants as long as she's not breaking any laws. No one teaches people how to avoid being murdered, we teach our children not to murder; same principle applies.

The "teach men not to rape" mantra that is commonly used nowadays is idealistic despite coming from a good place.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of room for educating people about affirmative consent and sex in general, but the notion that education will somehow eliminate rape is naïve. People are taught that murder is wrong, yet it still exists, so it would probably be pragmatic to tackle this issue from multiple angles. The rapist, murderer, robber, or thief are always entirely culpable for their actions, but there are actions we can take to prevent ourselves from becoming victims.

Last edited:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We're not legally denied that but we are socially and I've already mentioned that's a small piece of the pie. Another piece is this rape apology culture. Instead of telling me, as a woman, don't drink too much, don't dress like this, don't flirt with him, don't dance on him, etc. How about teaching men not to rape?
yall are so flip floppy when it comes to why you supposedly need feminism. now its "rape culture" :dead:

how about if you want to be treated equally, you man up and be responsible for your actions like a man would.

and look at your what you're teaching the males. all of you have this matriarchal feminist mindset, where you think you can start families by yourselves. boys grow up watching momma do it all. then yall act surprised when they become deadbeats that believe women can raise kids solo -- yall do it to yourselves.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
yall are so flip floppy when it comes to why you supposedly need feminism. now its "rape culture" :dead:

how about if you want to be treated equally, you man up and be responsible for your actions like a man would.

and look at your what you're teaching the males. all of you have this matriarchal feminist mindset, where you think you can start families by yourselves. boys grow up watching momma do it all. then yall act surprised when they become deadbeats that believe women can raise kids solo -- yall do it to yourselves.

"Manning up" doesn't guarantee equal treatment. It never has. Many woman do man up, but that doesn't mean you are now equal it means you just did what you had to do.

People with a mindset of looking down on women and see them a lesser don't just change because women take up responsibility. Just like a racist doesn't change just because they see a black person that bust their stereotypes. So you therefore need movements to help counter at that.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Manning up" doesn't guarantee equal treatment. It never has. Many woman do man up, but that doesn't mean you are now equal it means you just did what you had to do.

People with a mindset of looking down on women and see them a lesser don't just change because women take up responsibility. Just like a racist doesn't change just because they see a black person that bust their stereotypes. So you therefore need movements to help counter at that.

im sorry, i dont buy the rape culture argument. the law aint protecting black men accused of rape.

the reasons you all "need" feminism are flimsy at best.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin

I agree.

The movement should be winding down, though. Being that the laws have been changed and there aren't any major social or econimic things being denied.

Mission Accomplished, ladies:salute:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
im sorry, i dont buy the rape culture argument. the law aint protecting black men accused of rape.

the reasons you all "need" feminism are flimsy at best.

It's not just about rape. Plenty of other points in this thread have stated more than rape. If you don't think that matter that's your opinion. But how can you tell someone else their struggle? That's like a white person telling me I don't need black organizations because they think something isn't important or they don't affect them. You can speak to the issues of rape laws being unfair and I hear you. I see how they target. I can't tell you how to feel because I'm not a black man.

You and I as black people don't want/ hate to be painted with broad brushes. But then you came in here and did the same thing. It's amazing how some of you guys don't see the parallels between how you sound and white people who discriminate.

@gonzo8402 should black movements winding down because we have some black CEOs and had some laws pass?

Any group in this country who has a long history of discrimination here still has work to do for fairness. Only people who don't are white people. For me it is not a question of what comes first I stated my thoughts in the OP but that doesn't mean none of the other stuff should matter.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
It's not just about rape. Plenty of other points in this thread have stated more than rape. If you don't think that matter that's your opinion. But how can you tell someone else their struggle? That's like a white person telling me I don't need black organizations because they think something isn't important or they don't affect them. You can speak to the issues of rape laws being unfair and I hear you. I see how they target. I can't tell you how to feel because I'm not a black man.

You and I as black people don't want/ hate to be painted with broad brushes. But then you came in here and did the same thing. It's amazing how some of you guys don't see the parallels between how you sound and white people who discriminate.

@gonzo8402 should black movements winding down because we have some black CEOs and had some laws pass?

Any group in this country who has a long history of discrimination here still has work to do for fairness. Only people who don't are white people. For me it is not a question of what comes first I stated my thoughts in the OP but that doesn't mean none of the other stuff should matter.

Yup. There's not much left to accomplish in the black movement. Wind that shyt down.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

how does black feminism address "rape culture"?

if you all want to have your faux empowerment movement, go for it. but as this thread clearly shows you all have nothing to show for 30 yrs of feminist beliefs--except matriarchal men, a sour reputation, and NO patriarchy to protect you.

i mean you women literally fight against the one thing you need; empowered black men.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go

if you all want to have your faux empowerment movement, go for it. but as this thread clearly shows you all have nothing to show for 30 yrs of feminist beliefs--except matriarchal men, a sour reputation, and NO patriarchy to protect you.

i mean you women literally fight against the one thing you need; empowered black men.
Who's fighting against empowered black men? My fight is against white male patriarchy. Where in this thread did we ever mention that our fight to be equal as black women is against black men?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who's fighting against empowered black men? My fight is against white male patriarchy. Where in this thread did we ever mention that our fight to be equal as black women is against black men?
how can you be a feminist and support patriarchy? the ideologies are directly opposed.

and none of you have made an argument for how you're unequal to black men. infact, any other time, BW are telling us how much greater you are than us.

Raava

Staff member
Daps

if you all want to have your faux empowerment movement, go for it. but as this thread clearly shows, you all have nothing to show for 30 yrs of feminist beliefs.

except matriarchal men, a sour reputation, and NO patriarch to protect you.

You didn't address what I posted. If feminism, the concern for equal treatment and rights, if it is a belief, what is there to show? Does the concern and belief expire?

Did you read this?

should black movements be winding down because we have some black CEOs and had some laws pass?

It's faux because you are nitpicking because what was said in this thread is not you definition because it's not about bitterness, man hating, and anti black male? I havnt gone through the thread but did you post a definition from a source on what feminism was or one with your definition? Dismissing tumblr feminist, the extreme and fringe that you are so caught up on, the core value of what it is; what is so bad about concern about rights and equality of women?

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
how can you be a feminist and support patriarchy? the ideologies are directly opposed.

and none of you have made an argument for how you're unequal to black men. infact, any other time, BW are telling us how much greater you are than us.
I don't support patriarchy but how does that mean I'm working against empowered black men?