Are we partly responsible for black women's self-hate issues?

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL
Yeah, I remember seeing that. :wow: Sad stuff. Doesn't change my point, though. It's a matter of perception, but if you're unattractive, changing your skin tone doesn't change that.

Again, NOBODY is checking for Lil Mama.

9560_lil-Mama.jpg

That chin of hers is just tragic.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Say you didn't read post but type a long, smarmy response addressing it....even though you "didn't read it" brehs :dead:

I didn't read it. I just clarified the finer points for her. Since you have nothing to add, I wonder why you quoted me?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
So this goes back to white people then, like I said earlier? I thought we were just discussing colorism in the black community? Do black people really want acceptance from white people that bad that we resort to hating light skin people for shyt they're not even responsible for? I rarely met a light skin or even biracial person who wants more acceptance from whites than blacks. Of course you have some c00ns out there but by large, light skin and biracial people seemed to be more concerned with how blacks treat them than whites but then again this could just be in my own little world. This is why you have high bright biracials claiming to be black or acting stereo typically black so people KNOW they are black. I have girls tell me all the time they wish they had my skin complexion, I was shocked when I first heard that. Like why would you want my complexion? Light skin is already on top? But when you actually see what they go through it makes since.

No one, it seems, is happy with the way they are. Always thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

it will always go back to white people because colorism in the Black community didn't begin in the Black community, it began with white people treating people of color differently based on the color of their skin, and the Black community followed suit.

Black people aren't born hating the color of their skin or anyone elses, but what they learn upon entering into this world is that people who are lighter are treated better and darker people are treated worse.

you rarely meeting a light skin person who wants more acceptance from whites than blacks means little, because people tend to behave differently depending on who they are around.

If they're around a majority Black group at the given time, they'll "act black", and if they're around a majority white crowd, they'll "act white", their speech will change, go up a few octaves, they'll speak "proper english" and use very little slang around white people.

there's even a term for it: "code switching"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/04/13/177126294/five-reasons-why-people-code-switch

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
It's actually the second but whatever :ehh:. However, she'd still be viewed by most others as secondary to a girl that looked like this

tumblr_mh227udCXH1qhk81qo1_500.jpg
I left nerdy black girl in quotes which is probably why it came up first. But this is NOT the first image of nerdy white girl, hell it's not even on the first page.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
it will always go back to white people because colorism in the Black community didn't begin in the Black community, it began with white people treating people of color differently based on the color of their skin, and the Black community followed suit.

Black people aren't born hating the color of their skin or anyone elses, but what they learn upon entering into this world is that people who are lighter are treated better and darker people are treated worse.

you rarely meeting a light skin person who wants more acceptance from whites than blacks means little, because people tend to behave differently depending on who they are around.

If they're around a majority Black group at the given time, they'll "act black", and if they're around a majority white crowd, they'll "act white", their speech will change, go up a few octaves, they'll speak "proper english" and use very little slang around white people.

there's even a term for it: "code switching"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/04/13/177126294/five-reasons-why-people-code-switch
So why should we as black people take their values and use it in our communites knowing their agenda already? I mean you guys are really killing me right now. It's like you guys KNOW and ADMIT that, yeah white people made up colorism yet you still use it? I just don't understand....

We know why white people put light skins and biracials on a pedestal but instead of trying to change that with the younger generations, we use it against them? Children that have yet to see the world? This ish starts in the home and last time I checked, not too many dark skin children are living with white parents or growing up in majority white neighborhoods to learn to hate dark skin.

Daps
I left nerdy black girl in quotes which is probably why it came up first. But this is NOT the first image of nerdy white girl, hell it's not even on the first page.

Again, you're missing the point.

It's not to compare "oh, this one is hot and this isn't", the point I'm trying to make, I guess not well enough, is that a 5 white girl gets simped and white-knighted harder than a 5 light skinned girl which gets simped harder than a 5 dark skinned female. Well of course, a 9 dark skinned female would get simped harder than all of them, but don't act like skin tone doesn't matter in what people find attractive :usure:

Daps
So why should we as black people take their values and use it in our communites knowing their agenda already? I mean you guys are really killing me right now. It's like you guys KNOW and ADMIT that, yeah white people made up colorism yet you still use it? I just don't understand....

Because again, it's not going to change anything. Us realizing where it comes from isn't going to stop others from looking down on darker individuals as "inferior", it isn't going to make people actually WANT to be black, and it's not going to improve our standing in the world, and it isn't going to make people feel any less insecure about their complexion. People find that skin color mocking to be funny as fukk (see the Rick James episode of Chappelle). As long as light skin carries with it an improved standing in society, it will always be coveted and dark skinned be shunned.

Not EVERYTHING can be overcome with a positive mindset.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Again, you're missing the point.

It's not to compare "oh, this one is hot and this isn't", the point I'm trying to make, I guess not well enough, is that a 5 white girl gets simped and white-knighted harder than a 5 light skinned girl which gets simped harder than a 5 dark skinned female. Well of course, a 9 dark skinned female would get simped harder than all of them, but don't act like skin tone doesn't matter in what people find attractive :usure:
So you telling me that if you take a fine light skin girl and make her dark skin, all of a sudden dudes ain't gone simp her? :comeon: Maybe simple minded people yeah but a person of average intelligence would simp a fine girl regardless.

272410.jpg

Beyonce looks good in all these pics

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Because again, it's not going to change anything. Us realizing where it comes from isn't going to stop others from looking down on darker individuals as "inferior", it isn't going to make people actually WANT to be black, and it's not going to improve our standing in the world, and it isn't going to make people feel any less insecure about their complexion. People find that skin color mocking to be funny as fukk (see the Rick James episode of Chappelle). As long as light skin carries with it an improved standing in society, it will always be coveted and dark skinned be shunned.

Not EVERYTHING can be overcome with a positive mindset.
I never said anything about thinking colorism away fool. I said why do black people who know the agenda continually use it in their communities. Why, as a dark skin person, not even a person, an ADULT make fun of a dark skin child knowing the affects it will have on them? This is what I'm trying to get across.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've already made numerous comments on how yes, lighter people of all races are more desired to the dominant society than their darker counterparts. We all know this but I'm not talking about how the dominant society treats them, I'm talking about how they are treated within their own community.

Well in both inter- and outer- cases, the groups you're talking about are typically treated better than average. And even if they were treated better on one hand and the same on another, they are still net treated better than than groups that are treated worse all around.

Aside, the truth today is that most of these groups are given a premium both inside and outside the community.

Dark skin people have it worse because they don't look white but that doesn't mean we should turn around and use society's values in our own communities or even get mad because that's how society views them.

Using your logic, no one should get mad because of how society or the world views any privileged person because most privileged people never asked for that perception nor do they have have individual say in it. There is no special logic for your example.

Some of y'all need to learn how to separate the dominant society views from black views. I'm talking strictly about the black community and how we view each other.

We were talking about privilege and whether certain a certain group or group(s) get privilege. The answer is that they do, and it extends far beyond the meaningless trivialities you listed.