Are Black Americans just cleaner than other types of people?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Be funky in your own country as much as you want. But once you get a job in America, there is no excuse. It's not expensive here.
Old habits die hard.

Some people raised like that habitually never learn to wear deodorant. They need to adapt and adopt it as a habit but it takes time. Until someone mentions something to them or they become hip themselves.

There's things broke brehs do in America that they have to unlearn too once they get upward mobility. That's just life. You don't see younger immigrants doing this. It's usually older folks who grew up not having access to deodorant back home.

King Poetic

I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Overall Yes we are

But I do hear some blacks on the “ I take a shower every other day shyt because your skin this or your skin that if u shower everyday” :camby:

I take a daily shyt, And even if I don’t do too much outside of inside the house, I’m still hitting the shower

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Now that you mention it, I don’t think I’ve noticed American men wearing Sandals. British men don’t do it either.
It's cold in UK and Northern cities so sandals wouldn't make sense since cold air falls. In the south I've seen dudes with slides on though.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
From observation hygiene is a big thing in the AA community and that’s due to bullying anyone that violates the code. I had a friend that forgot to shower and his mom yells from a distance “get ur ass in the shower and wash ur nasty ass” :pachaha:

But in general, normal Africans, AA’s, Caribbeans take pride in their cleanliness. AA’s just take it up a notch with the weekly cut and avoiding sandals like the plague

Its less healthy for your feet to wear shoes in a tropical climate.

Moreover, since your feet sweat - socks/shoes must be smelling terrible. Better use sandals, don’t trap sweat with socks/shoes, open up your feet pores, and throw out multiple sandals per year.

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I think different cultures are just dirty in different ways
I’d be lying if I said I never been around street dudes who smelled musty and wear the same outfit for like 3 days straight while they hustle
You got some black women out here who don’t wash their hair for weeks cause they got a weave in. Can’t even scratch their heads cause all the dandruff and shyt. Over there patting their head and shyt :russ:

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
This is how I know some yall some lost suburban country nikkas that don't be around black folks as much as you think you do.

Yall seriously asking if other black ethnic groups value personal hygiene? Not showering, wearing wrinkled or stain clothes, smelling nasty, your kid walking around with snotty booger noses, are all like cardinal sins in the Caribbean and Nigerian community.
My Caribbean grandmother would throw a fit if we walked out the house with food stains, a wrinkled shirt, ashy face etc

Even at 87 she’ll get on my ass if I don’t got a fresh cut :wow:

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Yes. Due to racial stereotypes of the past a majority of us do emphasize and prioritize cleanliness, which is why we go above and beyond (sometimes even exaggerating towards comical levels) to display/prove how we clean ourselves, not just our bodies but our homes, clothes, and even food, etc.

I don't know about y'all and this might be excessive but, I wash my clothes after every use 🤷🏾‍♀️ the outfit I'm wearing today once I get home I'll be prepping my washer and dryer to wash what I have just worn 🤣. I don't just fold/hang up my clothes and say to myself that it's good for another 2-3 wears, naw I wash them right away. I want my stuff clean all the time before I step outside 🤷🏾‍♀️ some people's bodies be clean but their clothes have odors.

Now there is a segment of black people who aren't always 100% clean, especially if they're elderly and/or disabled which limits their ability to always clean themselves or their homes properly (not everybody can afford a cleaning service or whatever) so I give them a pass or try to understand them.

A neighbor of mine (a man in his 60s who knows my uncle) in the building I live at had a package for me and told me to come to his apartment he opened up his door and told me to wait while I waited outside his apartment door open, I could smell nothing but a.s.s, cigarettes, and just funk scent 😷 on top of his place having a humid/muggy air quality, his apartment didn't look dirty but had old furniture, I said to myself he needs to start opening his windows 🪟 or something.

Last edited:

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Hundreds of years ago black people taught cacs how to bathe but the filthy nature of neanderthals is in their genes, spreading not only dirt but diseases and pests

rice cacs are filthy asf too :scust: