Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yo... :dwillhuh:

Yoooo.....:dwillhuh:

Yoooooooooo.......:dwillhuh:

Some issues aside, the ambition of the movie I just watched made no sense. Like what the fukk would they do for a sequel? Ain't goddamn shyt you can do to follow this up because they just did about goddamn everything.

What the hell?:dwillhuh:

:lupe: So I guess i didn't make a mistake by skipping prime early and getting Imax tickets then:lupe:

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
IMAX ticket prepped and ready to go.. 2 more days.. the excitement is killing me

gonna watch it at least 4 more times after... everyone who saw it yesterday wont stop messaging me how good it was... :wow:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Okay, some more (clear) thoughts (and some spoilers)

As I said after the movie just ended, the ambition of this movie is insane. It's a two and a half hour movie that feels like it's only two hours long and has the content of a four hour movie. That's not a bad thing, the pacing in this is excellent as everything moves along swiftly. It does mean that some parts of the plot don't develop beyond the most basic and clichéd of tropes. Arthur and Mera journey along the seven seas and sometimes they stumbl or fall, catch each other only to realize they are holding each other's hand, then stare deeply into each other's eyes. After two hours of this happening three times, of course they are now in love with each other. Because all that extra character shyt is kept tightly locked up in a box in the basement, there's really no opportunity for the actors to give a bad performance. They are just there doing their thing, and some awful, awful jokes aside (seriously, the 'jokes' in this may very well be written by the most unfunny person alive) they literally cannot fukk this up. The best evidence of that is the fact that Dolph Lundgren randomly popped up on the screen as an Atlantean king (I had no fukking idea he was in this), for what I figured was a bit part, but then he kept coming back and talking and later appeared again and talked some more and he ends up having like the fourth or fifth biggest speaking role in the movie. Dolph Lundgren, in 2018, in a Hollywood blockbuster that isn't some 80s nostalgia piece.

It all kinda goes along with the whole vibe of the movie that Wan & co just do whatever the fukk they want. Basic as character motivations and the actual plot are, this movie just does anything it can think of. Big coliseum fight, check. Desert tomb exploration, check. Old European town rooftop chase, check. horror monsters from the depth attack, check. Lost city in the core of the earth, check. Ancient guardian monster, check. Epic blockbuster battle, check. It's really no surprise that the Middle Kingdom eats this movie up because it checks off every element on a fantasy adventure movie check list. Story wise there's some stuff that's kinda hard to ignore though, like how baffling it was to me that they brush over Aquaman's origin in a poorly done parental forbidden romance tale, only to give Black Manta's origin such valid and tragic impact, that you could easily mistake him for the good guy for a good hour or so. This is also a movie where the "bad guy" is a king who wants to attack the surface world for polluting the oceans and destroying the environment (such an evil cause), offers and allows Arthur the opportunity to fight him in an official battle for the throne, does not cheat, then is betrayed and attacked from behind by Mera when Arthur is about to lose. Like how the hell do these writers expect me to root for Aquaman, the man who left Black Manta and his pops to die and desecrates an official duel when he's about to lose? Even with all the bad shyt his correctly motivated but misguided half-brother is planning, Aquaman really is a petty dikk for almost two hours. They do kinda successfully turn him around in the end, and hopefully use that opportunity to kill off the last remnants of that awful bro-character that Snyder envisioned the character as. to make it all work out.

Anyhow, those story issues aside the set pieces and in particular the action direction in this are absolutely incredible. Wan's grasp on this genre is every bit as good as the Russo's and sometimes even better. Basically every time an action set piece starts, you know shyt is about to get real. You can see they use a lot of CGI to create the most spectacular angles and camera movements possible, but since the movie by its very nature is so CGI-heavy, it's not distracting. What is distracting is how insanely bad music choices they've made with this. I mean, why in all of fukking hell would you play a Pitbull song over Aquaman and Mera arriving in Egypt? Why is there a Skylar Grey song playing over the end credits? I miss Obama as much as the next guy but this isn't going to bring back 2012, people! And why does the composed soundtrack by Harry Gregson-Williams' lesser talented brother start every song with Metal Gear Solid-esque string compositions and then turn into full blast 80s synthesizers and snares? I mean, I love that shyt but the contrast is non-sensically wild for no reason.

This movie delivers the good with the bad every single time, and it's hard to make sense of what they ever planned or wanted to achieve, but it's entertaining for what it is, so it's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
This shyt is about to blow up

:lupe:

Goddayumn, Jason fukking Momoa coming in like Ghostface in '00 with Supreme Clientele carrying DC on his back like Ghost did for Wu.

You're not sure what he's saying, why he's saying it and how they came up with this - but it fukking works :whew:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Goddayumn, Jason fukking Momoa coming in like Ghostface in '00 with Supreme Clientele carrying DC on his back like Ghost did for Wu.

You're not sure what he's saying, why he's saying it and how they came up with this - but it fukking works :whew:
you dont know what "rap is like ziti,facing me real tv" means??
:what:

giphy.gif

:troll: