Apple Music has now surpassed Spotify's user base in the US.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Internet and cell access aren't comparable.

The streaming of movies is, I don't pay for that either, btw

I can't outright own the cell towers and lay my own broadband wires. But I can outright own the music I like.

A little of both
The point is you pay a recurring bill for access, who cares what it's access to, society is set up to keep you paying. Just as people buy/download dvd's/tv show box sets, they still pay for cable Hulu Netflix etc.

Streaming and owning aren't mutually exclusive :heh:

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Netflix is cheaper and making profit. If you get Apple Music you’re most likely already in Apple’s ecosystem, same with google music.

And how do you know YouTube hasn’t made profit? It was only out for 1 year before google bought it, and that was in 2007.

Movies don’t have the same royalties as music, lol. It’s cheaper to broadcast video Over music.... Music is expensive.

If YouTube was profitable it would dominate CNBC and Bloomberg the entire week.

YouTube CEO Says There's 'No Timetable' For Profitability

http://fortune.com

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you have Netflix or pay a cable bill? Or did you have a Blockbuster card back in the day?

It’s pretty much the same concept.

I can’t imagine physically buying every movie I ever wanted to watch.

I can’t imagine not buying any movie or cd and it all being just on cable. But difference is the cable is on demand these days and they can delete content. Netflix deletes/swaps movies and shows every single month.

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
YT music for me...plus I get ad free YouTube.

My heart is Pandora for radio...been a user since 2005. Many parties in college last decade was Pandora playing music in the background.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Movies don’t have the same royalties as music, lol. It’s cheaper to broadcast video Over music.... Music is expensive.

YouTube CEO Says There's 'No Timetable' For Profitability:
Areas where they are investing, she added, include virtual reality. “There’s no timetable,” she said, referring to a question on profitability.

That doesn’t necessarily mean YouTube isn’t profitable, but it just means it’s not a focus at the moment. YouTube, which primarily makes money from advertising within its videos, doesn’t release revenue numbers (it is not separated in financial statements by parent company Alphabet). But some reports put revenue in the billions.

You posted a link thinking I wouldn't read it, let me correct your quote for you.

The only reason Spotify isn't profitable is cause they are investing everything that would be a profit on growing their business because the battle for market share is extremely hot and they have investors such as... some of the best investors in the world believing in them :snoop:

They pay out 70% of their revenue meaning that if they have 10 billion in revenue, 7 billion goes to the labels and 3 billion for operating the company. If you think that a software company of 2-3000 employees can't be run with 3 billion, I don't know where you got your degree.

Do you really think a company is worth $30 billion bucks if the bankers don't believe that they can generate profit? :mjlit:
To put it in perspective, Ford Motor Company with 7+ billion in profit and 160 billion in revenue is worth $45 billion.

Regarding the price for broadcasts, I don't know anything about that. I find it interesting though, would you care to provide a link? And you do know that Netflix produces its own series, movies, documentaries etc too right? You know that they pay comedians millions for specials, sometimes up to 20+ million. Or Shonda Rhymes and these people getting 100-300 million dollar deals?

Last edited:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm one of the people that switched from Spotify to Apple Music. :yeshrug:
I loved Spotify but I had to throw them in the bushes after someone hacked my profile and locked me out of my own account.:what::pacspit:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

YouTube CEO Says There's 'No Timetable' For Profitability

no one knows except for the execs at google/youtube

Article from end of 2017 (whereas yours is from 2016)
But is YouTube profitable? Google has never said. Nor does it disclose viewership data or other financial metrics beyond a few broad statements.

“There’s substantial uncertainty, particularly over the profit levels at YouTube, whether it’s break-even or if they’re doing modest operating margins,” RBC Capital analyst Mark Mahaney told IBD. “They have a lot of content royalty costs, massive bandwidth costs, storage costs, processing costs.

“My guess is that with YouTube’s scale, they’re reasonably profitable, like double-digit margins, but there’s no way of knowing,” Mahaney said. He thinks investors crave a “clean look” at YouTube’s financials.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
Apple Music is a throw away business for Apple and Google to get you into they ecosystem. Streaming music is not a standalone business....and neither is YouTube since they never made a profit.

Spotify can’t raise prices...it would be automatic defeat. Tidal treading water.

Streaming music should be $19.99 a month at normal quality as a stand-alone business. But Google and Apple can have loss leaders so ya screwed as a business.
This.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Tidal should be on top

We outchea getting exclusive hour long Will Smith interviews & 5 hour exclusive J Prince Audiobooks

And live streams of Summer Jam.

Real culture shyt.

fukk them p*ssy ass services

Tidal gang till the casket drop... If u aint riding then u c00ning

The J-Prince book wasn't really exclusive...tidal just had it up in its entirety first.

That Will interview was dope.

Speaking of Will and Tidal streams....Jay gotta get Jeff and Prince to rock the MIA fest in Philly.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Yup it’s convenient to listen to all the music you want just for 10 dollars a month just the same as people pay for Netflix

I don't pay. I stream music for free.