Anytime you hear the words "first black.." in politics you notice a trend.:mjpls:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Thread is stupid

First Black Physicist in America

220px-Edward_Alexander_Bouchet_Yale_College_class_of_1874_%28cropped%29.jpg

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I am noticing that they have stayed away from Carole Mosely Braun. She was the first Black woman to be elected to the senate in American history.

Chicago gets real funny when you can win without the support of the democratic party. Dorothy Brown had the same problem as well.

Daps
Surest way to success is having parents with resources. One white parent taps you into that white generational wealth spigot. Having a white parent is like getting pulled over with a white dude in the passenger seat.

Anyone whose been to college sees how many white kids are going to school in cheat mode; parents paying rent, tuition, books, bills, etc.

When I was in school a lot of industries had zero-pay internships. Now who can go 3 months without income while working through school? Just another one of those backdoor Jim Crow traditions that Chris Rock was talking about.
Years ago, I was riding with a white friend. He ran a stop sign, and we got pulled over. He was pretty much cussing out the cop, and I’m sitting there like this,

:lupe: and thinking this::damn:

The cop was so polite, and kept calling him sir, but he still got a ticket.

I rarely get pulled over anymore, but I am extra polite. I am not trying to get killed.

:hubie:

Daps
Goal post moving and False

His niece had been a news reporter in this metro area for decades. She's spoken about his story many times.He wasn't the first mayor......first Black mayor of a "big" city . That gets revised as first Black mayor over time.

780528_wabc-loristokesanddad-then-img.jpg

Everybody from NYC area knows of Lori Stokes.

and as you can see, she and her father are so light and ambiguously featured that you can hardly tell that they are Black
Eyewitness News

:umad:

But Sade Baderinwa

2575854_102717-wabc-sadephoto-img.jpg

:shaq:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Thread is stupid

First Black Physicist in America

220px-Edward_Alexander_Bouchet_Yale_College_class_of_1874_%28cropped%29.jpg
Thread is about having to be light skinned in order to break the color barrier in politics.

All the examples against it so far have either been non political like yours, or examples of people who came into office after the color barrier was broken in their particuler political field.

In results driven fields like a physicist its almost always diverse. Can't argue against being the best in the class if you have numbers to support it.
but in fields like politics that heavily rely on popularity and elections there seems to be trend. prove me wrong without moving the goal posts as you all are accusing me of doing weirdly enough

Last edited:

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Surest way to success is having parents with resources. One white parent taps you into that white generational wealth spigot. Having a white parent is like getting pulled over with a white dude in the passenger seat.

Anyone whose been to college sees how many white kids are going to school in cheat mode; parents paying rent, tuition, books, bills, etc.

When I was in school a lot of industries had zero-pay internships. Now who can go 3 months without income while working through school? Just another one of those backdoor Jim Crow traditions that Chris Rock was talking about.

I know a lot of black grown men who have the money to spend on their kids while they're away in school. But chose not too because of selfish reasons.

Im just letting you know you have some blacks who can live that situation like white people, but choose not to.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
This primarily about post reconstruction politics.

Before Jim crow and just after slavery things were briefly better than they are now actually. at least thats the impression i got from black history class.
No.

Speaking on how close-knit Black people were at the time, sure. We actually gave a fukk about each other and actually looked-out for ALL of our well-being, but to sit there and state that our ancestors' lives were objectively 'better' in the 19th Century than now is patently absurd.​

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
One more thing:

During the Reconstruction Era (1868-1878), over 100 Black men served as members of the Alabama Legislature. My great great grandfather was The Honorable Shandy Wesley Jones, who was elected in 1868 with the first group. I refer to them as "Alabama's First Legislative Black Caucus." Alabama has never recognized any of these men for their service, until now. Through my lobbying efforts and the help of a Montgomery news reporter, Gov. Riley recently signed legislation that would provide for 3 memorial plaques per man to be constructed at the Alabama State Capitol.

The Honorable Shandy Wesley Jones was also the first Black elected official in Tuscaloosa County. He was elected in 1868 to the Alabama House of Representatives. I also lobbied to have him recognized by the City of Tuscaloosa, and the Mayor and City Council graciously honored that request in their first council meeting of 2009 with the presentation of a Proclamation to me and my family.

Now that the State legislation has passed, I am on a quest to find the descendants of the other men. We did a local call-out in Alabama and received about 10 responses so far. I know that most of these people have probably moved out of Alabama by now. I would like to issue a national call-out in search of these descendants. I would hate for these families to miss out on such an auspicious occasion as the dedication of the memorials to not only my relative but theirs as well. Please help me with this mission. My dream is about to culminate, but this is a way that it will just keep on giving.

Martha O'Rourke-Arrow
marrow@senate.ms.gov

He was light-skinned, but, as stated above, there were over 100 Black men in Alabama's Legislature during Reconstruction, alone. ALL of them didn't have the same complexion.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's an accurate portrayal of Black politicians, historically, considering how many Black people were involved.​

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
First Black President
overview-Barack-Obama.jpg
TRUE
First black vice president
harris.jpg
TRUE
First black supreme court justice
Thurgood-Marshall-LIFE-e1438877951772-260x170-1438877989.jpg
TRUE
First ELECTED black governor
330px-Wilder1.image.jpg
TRUE
First black mayor of an american city
Stokes%2C_Carl_B..jpg
*FALSE
Virginias first black congressman

230217-virginia-jennifer-mcclellan-mn-1615-a36dd5.jpg
FALSE

Jet Magazine Dec.1, 1966

And the FOLLOWING year, on Nov 7, 1967 , this happened

Mr. Richard G. Hatcher was elected mayor of Gary on Nov. 7, 1967, the same day that Carl B. Stokes, another black Democrat, was elected mayor of Cleveland

same-night.png

[/QUOTE]