How Gaza Has Shaken Black Politics

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Nah, cause sooner or later folks will ask why they've been quiet on the situation and if they say what you said or that they want to focus on issues in their backyard, then people wouldn't like the answer.
people in their district wouldn't like the answer? getting attention from the national media might be nice, but ultimately it's the people in your district that decide your fate.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I've gotten to know Rep. Andre Carson over the years. He's the 2nd Muslim ever elected to Congress, after Keith Ellison.

He's got tenure and been more free to show his support for Palestinian self-determination. This came after being very standard Dem on the issue.

He interviewed with Haaretz a couple years ago: https://archive.is/GKM4f
Cohorting with politicians :jbhmm:

It’ll be interesting to see where @FAH1223 is 10 years from now :mjgrin: @Pressure

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Cori Bush is next depending on how the DOJ investigation shakes out. House leadership probably won't stand with her either but the AIPAC money won't be as influential on her election.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Is this our narrative?

Was bowman so unique he couldn’t just campaign to win?

I’m serious. If he felt morally or ethically required to run his campaign that way win or lose I can respect it.

It makes more sense if that’s the case for him being the only squad member to get bushed.

But we all know that’s bullshyt.

Progressives have a tight coalition on unions,wages, healthcare, and change with the general populace and really nothing else.

Bowman lost because he moved on from being seen as someone who wants to make things better to someone who wants to be a revolutionary whose ideology means they support any and everything.

Also, the dem bench is Roy cooper, whitmer, and newsome in that order.
It’s not a narrative. We are telling you what we know about NY. And Bowman was pro-Israel when elected and switched up and was willing to die on that sword. It’s a combination of all things and him not being a shrewd politician. Are you forgetting who Bowman upset to even win that seat? One of the most staunch Israel supporters in Congress. If you re-run the 2020 election with these demographics, there’s no guarantee he wins.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
people in their district wouldn't like the answer? getting attention from the national media might be nice, but ultimately it's the people in your district that decide your fate.

It's not just that, though. Only a small fraction of voters in any district will vote in a primary, and if you have enough money then someone can publicly distort your answers, manipulate a fraction of the electorate, and get their supporters out to vote more effectively.

It blows my mind how Democrats went a decade claiming that Citizens United was one of the worst decisions in Supreme Court history and basically sold our elections to corporate bidders.....and now y'all trying to claim that money is irrelevant in elections. Y'all want me to bring up receipts of all the times some of you talked about Citizens United as if it mattered?

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
It's not just that, though. Only a small fraction of voters in any district will vote in a primary, and if you have enough money then someone can publicly distort your answers, manipulate a fraction of the electorate, and get their supporters out to vote more effectively.

It blows my mind how Democrats went a decade claiming that Citizens United was one of the worst decisions in Supreme Court history and basically sold our elections to corporate bidders.....and now y'all trying to claim that money is irrelevant in elections. Y'all want me to bring up receipts of all the times some of you talked about Citizens United as if it mattered?

So AIPAC is the reason people didn’t show up and vote? Weren’t they encouraging people to vote?

Anyways I don’t think anyone on this forum supports AIPAC or the Citizens United ruling. I believe AIPAC pre-existed Citizens United btw.

The reason we don’t talk about overturning citizens united is that it is pretty much hopeless post Trump or at least with the current court and divisions.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
So AIPAC is the reason people didn’t show up and vote? Weren’t they encouraging people to vote?

Anyways I don’t think anyone on this forum supports AIPAC or the Citizens United ruling. I believe AIPAC pre-existed Citizens United btw.

The reason we don’t talk about overturning citizens united is that it is pretty much hopeless post Trump or at least with the current court and divisions.
Guys have a million excuses for why a candidate they like lost.

I’m not sure why he thinks I want to engage in a wall of textathon when he has convinced me Hillary lost because she campaigned poorly.

I’m just using the same logic here.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

People never show up to vote for primaries. My point is that AIPAC is able to have outsized power due to limited turnout. And 2 of their 3 biggest ads were negative attack ads on Bowman, which are explicitly meant to depress turnout.

You misunderstand my point - I'm saying that if you don't like Citizens United, then you are admitting that money matters in elections. It's hypocritical to complain about Citizens United and say its a threat to democracy, then turn around and claim that the enormous amount of money AIPAC threw into this race couldn't have an impact.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Guys have a million excuses for why a candidate they like lost.

I’m not sure why he thinks I want to engage in a wall of textathon when he has convinced me Hillary lost because she campaigned poorly.

I’m just using the same logic here.

Y'all have this consistent go-to move where you act like a hypocrite while falsely suggesting your opponents are the real hypocrites.

I have always maintained the position that Russian interference was wrong AND impacted the election, but that Hillary was also a poor choice for a candidate and her terrible campaigning negatively impacted the election as well. That's been my exact position from literally in real time before the vote even happened all the way up through today.

You, on the other hand, are one of many in the establishment who went crazy over Russian interference while never once admitting that Hillary was the wrong candidate, trying instead to suggest that dirty tricks by Trump alone cost the election. Yet now that a progressive Black man lost after a far more intense foreign interference campaign, you want to focus on him as a candidate alone and give the foreign agency interfering a complete pass.

There's only one hypocrite here.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Wall of text. :mjlol:

Breh talking about everything but the topic.

What’s your ethnicity again? :mjgrin:

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
People never show up to vote for primaries. My point is that AIPAC is able to have outsized power due to limited turnout. And 2 of their 3 biggest ads were negative attack ads on Bowman, which are explicitly meant to depress turnout.

You misunderstand my point - I'm saying that if you don't like Citizens United, then you are admitting that money matters in elections. It's hypocritical to complain about Citizens United and say its a threat to democracy, then turn around and claim that the enormous amount of money AIPAC threw into this race couldn't have an impact.

They have to show up. Not showing up is not an option. Clearly. You know that. I read 30% turnout somewhere! It’s not an open primary either!

Maybe it wasn’t you but someone made it very clear that Jews were not and could not be Americans and therefore are not entitled to special interests. I don’t feel comfortable debating that because of historical parallels.

I think I previously pointed out that AIPAC would exist with or without the citizens united ruling.

We’ve got a bigger problem than a few tv ads as you very well know

Also to your point again I don’t think these ads had an impact on turnout… you’re not even debating that from what I can tell

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
How many black senators and congressmen did we lose over Gaza?

I think we should keep a tally

Also are they being shaken because they’re black or because of other reasons?
Warnock won a historical senate race despite his comments and written pieces about Israel.