Anytime you hear the words "first black.." in politics you notice a trend.:mjpls:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
harold_apr11.jpg

David-Dinkins-1989-Speech_Luc-NovovitchLiaison-e1611945431944.jpg

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
BTW, the 'first Black' people in politics were voted-in in the late 19th Century. Most don't have photographs.​
This primarily about post reconstruction politics.

Before Jim crow and just after slavery things were briefly better than they are now actually. at least thats the impression i got from black history class.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
People try to act like colorism in politics isn't a thing. not saying they wrong, just seems like a wild coincidence to me if it is.
also before you get angry, I'm not saying black people are responsible for this, seems to me like white people don't wanna vote for darker complected individuals. they see light skinned people as more intelligent and trustworthy
Seems to undermine their political victories.
3 largest cities in America. NYC, LA, Chicago had first Black mayors men who are not considered fair skinned or ambiguously Black.
Not obscure towns in the sticks, but the largest cities in the country. They get overlooked somehow when this topic comes up.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Seems to undermine their political victories.
3 largest cities in America. NYC, LA, Chicago had first Black mayors men who are not considered fair skinned or ambiguously Black.
Not obscure towns in the sticks, but the largest cities in the country. They get overlooked somehow when this topic comes up.
They get overlooked because none of them was the first black mayor to be elected this country. That honor goes to Carl B Stokes. Thread is specifically about first's. once that hurdle is achieved its usually open after that.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Common colonial tactic

Promote your mixed race descendants to a position of power.

Still celebrating "first blacks" in 2023 is crazy tho
It still works like a charm. They only remixed it now by adding immigrants who don't have black identity into the mix too in place of the usual light complexion or mixed race black people. You can't accuse them of colorism if they bring in a Nigerian or carribbean to act as a buffer caste. They have people who don't have our experience speaking on our experience. It's insane but it works because the country is insane.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
They get overlooked because none of them was the first black mayor to be elected this country. That honor goes to Carl B Stokes.
Goal post moving and False

His niece had been a news reporter in this metro area for decades. She's spoken about his story many times.He wasn't the first mayor......first Black mayor of a "big" city . That gets revised as first Black mayor over time.

780528_wabc-loristokesanddad-then-img.jpg

Everybody from NYC area knows of Lori Stokes.

and as you can see, she and her father are so light and ambiguously featured that you can hardly tell that they are Black

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Surest way to success is having parents with resources. One white parent taps you into that white generational wealth spigot. Having a white parent is like getting pulled over with a white dude in the passenger seat.

Anyone whose been to college sees how many white kids are going to school in cheat mode; parents paying rent, tuition, books, bills, etc.

When I was in school a lot of industries had zero-pay internships. Now who can go 3 months without income while working through school? Just another one of those backdoor Jim Crow traditions that Chris Rock was talking about.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Goal post moving and False

His daughter had been a news reporter in this metro area for decades. She's spoken about his story many times.He wasn't the first mayor......first Black mayor of a "big" city . That gets revised as first Black mayor over time.
How is it goal post moving? Thread title literally says "first black..". you came in here posting second, third and fourths to prove me wrong while telling me i'm the one moving goal posts. :dead:
And if Stokes wasn't the first black mayor who was? post that person's pic then.

Matter fact what is your goal here? you are trying to deny the existence of colorism? To serve what purpose? You think denying this helps black people in what way?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
This thread is ridiculous. We ask for black people in power, now they have to be dark skinned. This is why we don’t get taken seriously. There is too much in-fighting over petty nonsense.
this isn't in fighting this is actually about white people, not black people. If it were up to us, there wouldn't be a trend like like this.