Anyone watching "Industry" on HBO?

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Motives I don't think are always pure. You can have pure friendships, with less pure motives or actions within that friendship or relationship dynamic. If I am aware enough to know the benefit of an action, is it impure? Not to me. but I agree with what you are saying, she knew. but also, she played that as close as possible, she didn't talk about it with anyone. She didn't threaten blackmail. She didn't as far as we know seek special treatments from Yasmin. She just backed her friend up and cleaned up the mess.

but like you said, what the show excels in, is just showing these people as human as possible. It doesn't stack the deck for one character to be good, and another bad. That fight at the end was painful. I don't see a right and wrong, I see two complicated people.

also, the show is probably softly nodding to class/socioeconomic tension, in how we perceive things. Harper has the lower status chip on her shoulder, it colors her worldview, I relate to that some level too. Yasmin has the elites worldview, and values things like friendship and loyalty, because the rest is (or was) all taken care of. Her world is secure. People like Harper are out of blood, because they see how cold the world is.

Yea the game is the game IMO. Harper is a TRUE piece of shyt, but Yasmin should only blame herself. We literally saw Harper not want to use Yasmin in that situation but her hands are tied and the money always comes first in their line of work.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yea the game is the game IMO. Harper is a TRUE piece of shyt, but Yasmin should only blame herself. We literally saw Harper not want to use Yasmin in that situation but her hands are tied and the money always comes first in their line of work.

Also, wealthier people are so used to hanger ons and transactional relationships, that they tend to be overly vigilant about it. But the world is really transactional, esp. the lower down the socioeconomic ladder you go.

They have crossed values on these points is how I read it, not so much bad vs good, or right v wrong.

BUT, Harper can't really get her much, she could give her money, but not a position, because Petra doesn't respect her at all.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
and Eric, unknowingly did the same thing, by propositioning her and sidelining her about work.

and Lord Norton and his proposition about Henry.

The show gave us at least three examples of her being treated a certain way in one episode.

Know a lot of woman who work in professional jobs and are extremely attractive, and it's a real struggle to be taken seriously on any level. There is a crippling cognitive dissonance about every invite, every dinner, every lunch, because on one level, that's how business is done, on another level, they always expect some kind of come on, which if they accept, will probably negate any business, or become industry gossip. And if they don't accept some level of flirting, they probably don't get a deal.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Yeeeeeeea it sucks.

-Harper only got the drop on Pierpoint because she eavesdropped like a snake.

-Harper told Petra because, yes it was a great opportunity, but really because Pierpoint was in trouble. Could’ve kept her mouth shut or built a case to short another firm, but she was just too excited to share the news.
She tried to save Yas by questioning Sweetpea but, unlike Yas, she is a critical thinker and can read the room.

-Eric shutdown Sweetpea instead of having a real discussion, making her feel acknowledged and imploring her to remain quiet.

-Yas was too ditzy and dismissive to listen to Sweetpea. If she had, she would’ve been as alert as the guy from PWM who knew better than to share the list.

-Eric was thinking with his dikk, made things awkward with Yasmin, and couldn’t put his ego aside and put business first when Yasmin invited him to the meeting. If he had been there he could’ve stopped the train that is coming.

The negative aspects of their personalities brought us to this point.

If even ONE of them had behaved better, this shyt wouldn’t be happening.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
and Eric, unknowingly did the same thing, by propositioning her and sidelining her about work.

The show gave us at least three examples of her being treated a certain way in one episode.

Know a lot of woman who work in professional jobs and are extremely attractive, and it's a real struggle to be taken seriously on any level. There is a crippling cognitive dissonance about every invite, every dinner, every lunch, because on one level, that's how business is done, on another level, they always expect some kind of come on, which if they accept, will probably negate any business, or become industry gossip. And if they don't accept some level of flirting, they probably don't get a deal.

Ewwww does Eric think Yasmin will sleep with him?! :why::mjtf:

Trying to get her to drink during lunch.

“With all due respect I don’t see myself as a woman in your life.”

“Desire is practical”.

“I’m going to pay for my own food.”

What
The
Fukk

(FYI weird situations like this definitely happen in your workplace)

Ewww at him jacking off after she yelled at him

:bryan:Perve
:wow:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yeeeeeeea it sucks.

-Harper only got the drop on Pierpoint because she eavesdropped like a snake.

-Harper told Petra because, yes it was a great opportunity, but really because Pierpoint was in trouble. Could’ve kept her mouth shut or built a case to short another firm, but she was just too excited to share the news.
She tried to save Yas by questioning Sweetpea but, unlike Yas, she is a critical thinker and can read the room.

-Eric shutdown Sweetpea instead of having a real discussion, making her feel acknowledged and imploring her to remain quiet.

-Yas was too ditzy and dismissive to listen to Sweetpea. If she had, she would’ve been as alert as the guy from PWM who knew better than to share the list.

-Eric was thinking with his dikk, made things awkward with Yasmin, and couldn’t put his ego aside and put business first when Yasmin invited him to the meeting. If he had been there he could’ve stopped the train that is coming.

The negative aspects of their personalities brought us to this point.

If even ONE of them had behaved better, this shyt wouldn’t be happening.
My question is, why is all the fall on Yasmin and not the PWM guy? Did he give the list because Yasmin vouched for her client? I have no idea how that industry works.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another banger ep. What a fukking run.

First I gotta play Eric defense force...he's fukked up, but I don't believe his intentions there was to pursue Yasmin. There's a theme throughout the show about old men trying to impress younger women in a variety of ways and while that played a role...to me Eric was using her as a therapist again. It's less about young women and more about men who use women for emotional support. And he also thought this was cool because of the last time he did it a few eps ago when they were doing coke with the lawyer. But, to get to what Harper was saying...Yasmin needed something from Eric at that time and played along. Whereas this time she didn't need shyt from Eric.

I feel like Yasmin is at the firm in part to prove she's not just a rich girl spending her dad's money, but also to find the next rich dad whenever she's ready to transition to that more domestic life. Henry's unclear clearly saw it, hence that phone call scene. The game seems pretty clear to him: marry Henry, have a son, secure the family line etc. I think the photos of her dad were leaked to basically just change the story and prevent the murder rumor from gaining traction.

Back to Harper...I don't think she gets away with this. Everything is being set up for a down fall. Will it be Pier Point, or Eric, or Yasmin, etc? Perhaps but Harper's position seems pretty shytty. Petra can get rid of her at any time. Not to mention the fact that going to that firm to talk to Daria and Kenny seems weird....why would Daria want to help Harper, and why would Kenny (potentially) want to hurt Yasmin? I don't think that's gonna work out the way Harper wants it to.

I agree with this. I'll add that Eric is attracted to Yasmin but, I think he's grappling with his mortality. He's middle-aged, his family just imploded and one of the only people that's still around at Pierpont from when he started has cancer (which was a masterful scene). And its fukking with him. He's said a few times this season to various women if he was still like a young man or something similar. Yasmin showing him attention makes him feel young again. He was just too silly to realize (like Harper said) that Yasmin likes using her sexuality to gain advantage and then acting like she didn't later on.

Yasmin's father is twisted. I'm not sure if they were trying to imply that he's always sexually abused her or not but, it's weird af. Outside of that, Yas's father reminds me of Logan when he called her talentless. You mad at your daughter for being privileged and pampered when you raised her and you chose to give her a luxurious life. You're jealous of your own kid having it better than you did. Going on, Yas just isn't built to work in finance. She is educated, multi-lingual, and can network in certain circles, she just doesn't have the shrewdness you need to survive at PP. She's better off working in PR or marketing or something similar.

Harper is.....:snoop: I relate to Harper and Yas for different reasons. Despite Yas using her looks when it suits her, she's ultimately a good person/has a good heart. She just shouldn't be in finance. In result, I'm more inclined to side with her. Harper on the other hand is from a lower class, has a chip on her shoulder because she had to claw her way to PP where Yas showed up without even having to apply and she feels insecure/like a fraud because she didn't finish college. I can understand Harper's mindset. She's just sociopathic and has no qualms about fukking anyone over. She says that she tried to protect Yas and to an extent she did but, deep down she knew the moment she opened up the door that her coworker was gonna steamroll the girl. They're all sharks, this is a potential catastrophic loss for PP, and there's only one person over there that's naive enough to give them what they need. Harper just wanted to pretend she had no choice. Back to Eric. He trained Harper, kept her secret about not finishing school, and enabled her worst tendencies as long as it made money for the firm. Now he's upset because she's firing at him. IMO, she's a younger Eric if he was a bit more amoral. Yas might have reason to not like Harper but, Eric allowed Harper to become what she is now (sidenote: they're like a fukked up version of Harvey and Mike from Suits).

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I agree with this. I'll add that Eric is attracted to Yasmin but, I think he's grappling with his mortality. He's middle-aged, his family just imploded and one of the only people that's still around at Pierpont from when he started has cancer (which was a masterful scene). And its fukking with him. He's said a few times this season to various women if he was still like a young man or something similar. Yasmin showing him attention makes him feel young again. He was just too silly to realize (like Harper said) that Yasmin likes using her sexuality to gain advantage and then acting like she didn't later on.

Yasmin's father is twisted. I'm not sure if they were trying to imply that he's always sexually abused her or not but, it's weird af. Outside of that, Yas's father reminds me of Logan when he called her talentless. You mad at your daughter for being privileged and pampered when you raised her and you chose to give her a luxurious life. You're jealous of your own kid having it better than you did. Going on, Yas just isn't built to work in finance. She is educated, multi-lingual, and can network in certain circles, she just doesn't have the shrewdness you need to survive at PP. She's better off working in PR or marketing or something similar.

Harper is.....:snoop: I relate to Harper and Yas for different reasons. Despite Yas using her looks when it suits her, she's ultimately a good person/has a good heart. She just shouldn't be in finance. In result, I'm more inclined to side with her. Harper on the other hand is from a lower class, has a chip on her shoulder because she had to claw her way to PP where Yas showed up without even having to apply and she feels insecure/like a fraud because she didn't finish college. I can understand Harper's mindset. She's just sociopathic and has no qualms about fukking anyone over. She says that she tried to protect Yas and to an extent she did but, deep down she knew the moment she opened up the door that her coworker was gonna steamroll the girl. They're all sharks, this is a potential catastrophic loss for PP, and there's only one person over there that's naive enough to give them what they need. Harper just wanted to pretend she had no choice. Back to Eric. He trained Harper, kept her secret about not finishing school, and enabled her worst tendencies as long as it made money for the firm. Now he's upset because she's firing at him. IMO, she's a younger Eric if he was a bit more amoral. Yas might have reason to not like Harper but, Eric allowed Harper to become what she is now (sidenote: they're like a fukked up version of Harvey and Mike from Suits).
Yas: I CAN SPEAK SEVEN LANGUAGES!!!:damn:

Her Dad: So? :dahell:

The Villain

Superstar
Daps

I used to feel like that was all in the game when I was fresh out of college, and in someways it was in that way that young 20 somethings interact. I think that's all fair game when you're around the same age.

But now that I'm 30+ and end up on work trips w/ our younger female staff there's so much bullshyt from men I have to check at trade shows and shyt because we really are shameless :russ:

I've been begged to come to client dinners w/ coworkers because they know the client is an absolute sleaze and will press their luck w/o a man being present to enforce that unspoken respect that happens among men to avoid conflict. I've seen clients faces drop when I show up and they realize they can't just use a business meeting as a front for a date.

OTOH I've worked w/ women that are comfortable leaning into it and it's kind of funny to witness because they kind of live for being a tease if that's what it takes to get the bag. One of my old coworkers used to always say "legs out, t*ts up" when it came to how she dressed for our tradeshows and marketing activations.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
My question is, why is all the fall on Yasmin and not the PWM guy? Did he give the list because Yasmin vouched for her client? I have no idea how that industry works.
It falls on both of them, but:

-Technically Yas brought them in as a client, so she is responsible for the account that purposely screwed them

-Yas is bad at her job. The associate at the other firm was hesitant to show their list because he knew they were too smart to be interested in ESGs. The guy in PWM at Pierpoint is also good at his job and also knew that it was a shyt investment and that they were too smart to be interested in it. That list should only be seen by employees or current investors.

Yas should’ve sided with her colleague, but because Harper is her friend, she assumed she and Petra had good intentions.

-Yas shot Eric down so he was mad at her because of that.

-This is the second time Adler asked if Yasmin should be let go because of her family drama

Perfect storm. Eric has 2 legitimate reasons to get rid of Yasmin, when the truth is if he thought he had a chance at sleeping with her, she’d still have a job. :francis:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Also Yasmin was dumb enough to voluntarily give Harper a list of banks when even Sweetpea wouldn't do it.

Oh, and Eric created the monster who Harper became. He's just mad that she's biting back and succeeding without him.

“Everything you do on the floor communicates an ideology that people are a means to an end. I enact your philosophy and you have the nerve to call me a bad person”

she-aint-lying.gif

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
The fact that they live together and Harper had to walk in on Yas right after Eric just read her the riot act & proved her dad's words yet again :mjlol: .

Harper still too impulsive low-key tho. Throwing that half ass rehab info out there after being backed against the wall.

Jesus Christ, that last scene between Harper/Yas. Everybody was gettin' sum Gucci Mane "Truth" this episode but this took the cake
full

Harper to Yas:

I’M CALLING IT NOW- Petra aint letting that shyt go. If she doesn’t cause it, she is going to at least be part of Harper’s downfall.