Anybody living comfortably without college?

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Yep. I'm comfortable. Great Topic. As a 28 year old, I think about this a lot.

Started work at 19 and was a package handler at FedEx for a few years. At the time, I went to community college and basically fukked around. Fell asleep in class. Feeling jaded, I decided I needed to paper chase instead of discussing topics in a classroom I didnt give a fukk about.

Then, due the strength of my interviewing skills, I landed a check processing position at a bank, even though my experience obviously wasn't relatable. Get fired due to my newfound urge to party every night @ 21. Scooped up another part time gig and made 13k a year for like two years. :why:

Worked a few odd jobs here and there, but I really didnt get on until I got extremely sick wit it (aka embellished my ass off) and successfully scooped up this gig at a Law Firm assisting racist ass cacs. But I wanted more. Having these cacs look at me like filth was painful every single morning.

"Go to college! Get your degree! You've been on 30 interviews! Nothing's happening!"

But I knew that deep down in my soul, school annoyed the crap out of me. There had to be a way to get in without it, I thought. I kept pushing, kept tweaking my approach. Got an interview for a position in Finance. My competitors were degree'd out the ass. I had 30 credits at a community college. And I destroyed them, all 15 of em, during the interviewing process.

Now I'm not doing too bad (55k, zero debt), but I thank my lucky stars I didn't cave in and accrue debt for a piece of paper. My resume is :blessed: I believe that I can get over whatever obstacle is placed in front of me, but some people aint bout that life and go the saft route.

Ultimately, do what your heart tells you, brah. Dont go back to college if you have no interest in doing so. You'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you go back because people tell you that "there's no other way." There's always another way -- you just have to have the courage to find it.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Yep. I'm comfortable. Great Topic. As a 28 year old, I think about this a lot.

Started work at 19 and was a package handler at FedEx for a few years. At the time, I went to community college and basically fukked around. Fell asleep in class. Feeling jaded, I decided I needed to paper chase instead of discussing topics in a classroom I didnt give a fukk about.

Then, due the strength of my interviewing skills, I landed a check processing position at a bank, even though my experience obviously wasn't relatable. Get fired due to my newfound urge to party every night @ 21. Scooped up another part time gig and made 13k a year for like two years. :why:

Worked a few odd jobs here and there, but I really didnt get on until I got extremely sick wit it (aka embellished my ass off) and successfully scooped up this gig at a Law Firm assisting racist ass cacs. But I wanted more. Having these cacs look at me like filth was painful every single morning.

"Go to college! Get your degree! You've been on 30 interviews! Nothing's happening!"

But I knew that deep down in my soul, school annoyed the crap out of me. There had to be a way to get in without it, I thought. I kept pushing, kept tweaking my approach. Got an interview for a position in Finance. My competitors were degree'd out the ass. I had 30 credits at a community college. And I destroyed them, all 15 of em, during the interviewing process.

Now I'm not doing too bad (55k, zero debt), but I thank my lucky stars I didn't cave in and accrue debt for a piece of paper. My resume is :blessed: I believe that I can get over whatever obstacle is placed in front of me, but some people aint bout that life and go the saft route.

Ultimately, do what your heart tells you, brah. Dont go back to college if you have no interest in doing so. You'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you go back because people tell you that "there's no other way." There's always another way -- you just have to have the courage to find it.

so you'd rather make 55 k with no debt over 100 k and up with some med school, graduate school, law school, college debt?? i dont know about that one. 55 k is ok. but your earning potential is low. 3 years from now. youll be making around what 56 k?

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
so you'd rather make 55 k with no debt over 100 k and up with some med school, graduate school, law school, college debt?? i dont know about that one. 55 k is ok. but your earning potential is low. 3 years from now. youll be making around what 56 k?

I doubt it. Maybe if I stay at my current gig. But who does that nowdays? Next gig, next year… salary req will be at least 65-70k. And I’m sure I’ll get it. :youngsabo:

As I proved over and over again, degrees means nothing to someone like me. Experience is everything. I feel sorry for anyone who goes up agaisnt me during an interview. I’ve been accruing exp at two different gigs in finance simutaneously for almost ten years. If I get an interview, the hot fire I spit > a degree. It’s no contest. Also, Here's the thing about me. I may be alone in this, but I don’t like to owe anyone anything. I don’t want loans. I don’t want debt. I don’t want monthly payments. EVER. I don’t want the annoyances that come with corporate america when you make 100k. Sheeeittt I don’t even need 100k. I’m past the life of flossing. Give me 75k and relaxing days and I’ll be straight for life.

Med school, graduate school, law school. I’m not passionate about that. That’s monkey work to me. I’m not passionate about one day being able to throw my hat in the air like the last few moments of the different world intro, only to go home seeing that debt look at me in my face all like :shaq:

I’m passionate about life and my side projects like podcasting. I’m so debt averse it’s god damn ridiculous. I damn near have to stop the 30 year old, 14 degree havin' baristas at starbucks from crying into my coffee every morning.

Not knocking the degree at all, props to everyone who put in that work. I think it’s excellent that you’ve all graduated and I wish you well. But I know I could never find the time or desire to go down that road again at 28. I can and will find a different way. If I don’t, I’ll just perish. And that’s not an option. :whew:

a murda

I love my wife brehs
Daps
Reppin
Reppin Chi-City Southside
I doubt it. Maybe if I stay at my current gig. But who does that nowdays? Next gig, next year… salary req will be at least 65-70k. And I’m sure I’ll get it. :youngsabo:

As I proved over and over again, degrees means nothing to someone like me. Experience is everything. I feel sorry for anyone who goes up agaisnt me during an interview. I’ve been accruing exp at two different gigs in finance simutaneously for almost ten years. If I get an interview, the hot fire I spit > a degree. It’s no contest. Also, Here's the thing about me. I may be alone in this, but I don’t like to owe anyone anything. I don’t want loans. I don’t want debt. I don’t want monthly payments. EVER. I don’t want the annoyances that come with corporate america when you make 100k. Sheeeittt I don’t even need 100k. I’m past the life of flossing. Give me 75k and relaxing days and I’ll be straight for life.

Med school, graduate school, law school. I’m not passionate about that. That’s monkey work to me. I’m not passionate about one day being able to throw my hat in the air like the last few moments of the different world intro, only to go home seeing that debt look at me in my face all like :shaq:

I’m passionate about life and my side projects like podcasting. I’m so debt averse it’s god damn ridiculous. I damn near have to stop the 30 year old, 14 degree havin' baristas at starbucks from crying into my coffee every morning.

Not knocking the degree at all, props to everyone who put in that work. I think it’s excellent that you’ve all graduated and I wish you well. But I know I could never find the time or desire to go down that road again at 28. I can and will find a different way. If I don’t, I’ll just perish. And that’s not an option. :whew:

:wow: breh yo confidence is :ohlawd:

:salute: respect i need this motivation

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day

That's understandable.

Yall always start off good and then... it's :comeon:

People who go to med and law school aren't struggling to pay off debts. Just grad school? Yeah, maybe if they didn't pick the right subject to get a degree in. But ultimately, the people who succeed without going to college have to have a lot of drive and passion (like you) and most of the people asking "do I HAVE to go to college?" are just lazy and wouldn't succeed either way.

I think you're an exception. A great exception but an exception all the same.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is absolutely nothing you can do without a degree that you can't do with one...

But there are plenty of things you will never be able to do if you don't got a degree.

sm0ke

Lin Kuei
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
I damn near have to stop the 30 year old, 14 degree havin' baristas at starbucks from crying into my coffee every morning.

This made me laugh.

To the OP, you need to explore. I took some quarters off from community college, working manual labor and as a cashier. Both jobs were shytty in different ways, and I passed up a job that I might have enjoyed (game tester at Nintendo) due to a long ass commute. But I went back to college, got my AA, and I'll have my BA in a few months' time. I could still go get that game tester job if I wanted to, but now I have more options. There are jobs that won't even consider you if you don't have a bachelor's. The way the job market is now, employers have all of the leverage, and they can be as picky as they want (even to the point that they'll go without filling a position for some time).

But, with that said, there are opportunities for those without a degree, just not as many. It's a cost-benefit analysis that you have to figure out. If your heart's not in it at the moment, you can take a break -- there's no harm in that. Get a job and see what that's like. Or bum out and be lazy, see what that's like.

Basically, do you.

FLASH

Banned
Daps
Reppin
CHIRAQ
[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgTtPKrWb0]Floyd 'Money' Mayweather - Ugly People Hate Success - YouTube[/ame]

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Culinary arts. There is money in that. I'm not in that but my friend went to school for it telling me chefs at nice spots make 6 figures no problem.

You can start a dishwasher at 16 and be a sous chef at 19-20 (maybe even earlier, depends on your work ethic)

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
There is absolutely nothing you can do without a degree that you can't do with one...

But there are plenty of things you will never be able to do if you don't got a degree.

:yes:
U can go overseas and do a shyt load of jobs w/ a Degree. It has GLOBAL VISIBILITY. :whoo:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
First I was a mechanic for a while, now I drive trucks.

I am aware that if i did finish school or go to college, I'd probably wouldn't have to result to physical jobs. At the same time, I couldn't spend my days behind a desk without going crazy.
im planning on getting my cdl soon and getting into this field. wat kinda truck driving do you do?? wat are the pros and cons?