Anybody living comfortably without college?

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
breh, complete the electrical engineering degree

a graduate with a college degree makes more than a person with just a high school diploma.

unless you have a great, successful business idea then dropout knowingly.

if you circumstance, prevent college thats another thing.

but if you are dropping college just to live a life of mediocrity, dont, instead continue to step it up and get that college degree.

Good advice. Strongly considering taking a break at least, but in the event I don't want to go back, I wanna know if ill be straight. That's pretty much where I'm at now

Kid Coli

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was a College Dropout and it made life a lot harder than it needed to be.

I've had so many different jobs and the money has been mostly average.

I know MANY less intelligent, lazier people than me with college degrees earning so much more money than I do.

You can live comfortably without one but you can live so much better with one.

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
I've always been under the impression that people without college degrees have to have like twice the drive and ambition of those with them.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Get a CDL

Pick up a trade like Electician; AC repair, carpentry, etc

Drop about $400 to get TEFL(live in a foreign country teaching English)

Go to w3schools or/and codeacademy and pick up some Programming skills for FREE, apply for programming jobs or try to build your own site/app.

Any of these things will provide you with a decent life, that or utilize your talents to make some money.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
I'm 24 and a mailman (45K/year). I rent a house (fcuk a mortgage) and own a car but materialistic stuff aside; my definition of living comfortably is having options. Options to move up in a trade or to a different trade altogether. I did graphic design at a company without a degree (self taught) for 2 years which was really fun. I still do it except instead of working for another company I started my own. I also have a couple of IT certs that I picked up.

So right now I have a few options to go to if I wanted to or needed to.

But like @Captain_Crunch said pick up a trade. You don't have to spend 4 years in college. The first 2 years is mostly General Education requirement courses. Which I always had a problem with. I mean from k-12 is General Education right?

Last edited by a moderator:

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
like i said it depends on your city. if you live in a southern state unions arnt as big and harder to come across. in the northeast, mid atlantic and a lot of the west coast unions are big.

your best bet is to try enter an apprentice program. they usually last 2-4 years and then you become a journeyman

type in google your city and what field your interested in and "union". construction unions are called 'locals". in Boston the electricians is Local 103 roofers are local 33 etc

-Electriction(great job your always inside so no rain days plus its probably the most elite trade and hardest)
-plumber(great job you dont plug shyt all day you install new pipes)
-pipe fitter(good job you install big pipes in huge buildings)
-bricklayer/waterproofer(good job alittle tough but your outside all day and they get paid some of the highest)
-painter/glazer(they get paid the less but its easy work)
-iron worker(very hard and demanding but high as fukk pay)
-roofer(suck job and you miss time because of weather)

theres more but overall construction is not as hard and shytty as people make it out to be. sure theres tough days but i have easy days too. your always on the move and you work with dudes joking around all day. plus i smoke weed and go to work so im always blazed just laughing at shyt like random guys breaking there ankles i see or when i have to shyt destroying the porta potty and watching from a distance of some guy after me going in and seeing shyt inside the place where you piss and running out lol

This sounds perfect for me :steviej:
What do you recommend my best bet for what to get into when I stay in LA??

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
breh in 2013 you can have a good life w/o a degree.

BUT you have to be ambitious.
If you want to coast through life w/ some regular ass job than just get a degree.
Dont get it twisted though, people w/ degrees arent living that great.
Those numbers people always put up that say people w/ degrees make more money are skewed, because if you take out Doctors, lawyers etc... the numbers arent that great.

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
This sounds perfect for me :steviej:
What do you recommend my best bet for what to get into when I stay in LA??

well from what ive read and heard LA and southern California in general is horrible for construction unless your Mexican and willing to work for half the pay. SoCal and Southern Floridas trade markets are hurting because of immigration and labor costs. in Cali your best bet for union trade work is the bay area

i really dont know if id get into construction in those areas unless i had my own small operation or if your really lucky get with a company that only deals with HUGE commercial jobs like 40 story buildings because your basic small jobs even small office buildings are dominated by smaller cheap labor companies

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
did 2 years of uni...dropped out to go to college (in canada uni is treated as "higher" than college)....:snoop:

then did 1 year of college...dropped out to work :snoop:

wasted about $15K for nothing :damn:

work at one of the big 5 canadian banks as an analyst making $65K a year :ehh:

what could have been? :ohhh:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm a college dropout and I'm doing good.

Graduating college is the easy part. If you want to excel in whatever career you choose, you're gonna have to work hard at it. I've spend more time studying outside of college in one year than I did the entire time I was enrolled.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
one of my boys, his younger brother came to school with us after he had graduated. anyways, the younger brother ended up dropping out, but he was able to find a job with the railroad and has been doing that shyt for damn near the last 10 years. he getting paid well tho.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
do a trade. if your in the right city you can get into a union with all benefits, good pay and good hours and you will have something when you retire

youll never be rich but you will live a good life and basically a borderline balling life if your single with no kids and debt.

guys stress too much about money and always chasing the buck trying to get rich, dont do that. if you can get a decent pay and life with a clear coneshundseshes with no stress you will live longer and feel better

chances are you are never going to be rich so why live and breath it just live a normal life. you ever see dudes who spend every second worrying about their career? they die on the inside and dont have chance to stop and look around and take it all in

Your strive for mediocrity is inspiring breh :whoo:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
my response to this is that its not the same as it was 14-15 years ago and the IT field is increasingly competitive and outsourced. you also have the military experience that helps people get direction

:russ: maybe to nikkas at the bottom, but where I'm at, not even remotely close. On average I get maybe 50+ emails/voice mails from recruiters per week.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
We gonna act like dude don't have a point :mjpls:

Would you rather be the millionaire who has no free time, always stressed out, etc

Or the middle class nikka who is straight chillin

I'd rather be the millionaire who's straight chillin :stopitslime:

I only know one millionaire, and his life is the definition of coasting and relaxing :ahh:

But I know tons of middle class people who are miserable, hate their jobs, and wish they didn't have to deal with bosses, traffic, and the shyt the rest of gotta deal with when it comes to being an employee.

The more money I make, the happier I get, and everyone I know with money says the same thing.