Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania starring Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors, & Bill Murry Feb 17th, 2023

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everything other than Kang was trash

I always see people that say Phase 4 is the weakest get told that they’re just looking at phases 1 & 2 through rose tinted glasses because they were just as inconsistent, but I completely disagree, other than Shang Chi, Spiderman & Wakanda Forever this phase really has been ass

Edit: My bad just remembered this is the start of phase 5

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Snyder directed arguably the most disappointing comic book movie of all time. This isn’t about other directors, it’s about him flopping terribly running DCU or whatever they called it. I couldn’t think of many more uninspiring people to lead the future of the MCU
He could do a better thor movie the. That last guy. Action would be off the chain

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ironically, Kane being portrayed by a black man is causing you all to be overly critical of him. If he was played by a white actor it would be more of a just wait and see mindset. But because Majors has the role you all believe he was willfully sabotaged because he's black. It doesn't make sense. Why would they make Kang the multiversal threat, hire a black man to take on the role, then purposely sabotage and handicap their next major villain because he's a black man, whom THEY hired? :dahell:

Is this bad writing, yes. But that's nothing new for the MCU as of late. Is it willful sabotage, NO! Some of you all are as bad as those reactionary critics like The Drinker and Nerdrotic with ridiculously conspiratorial shyt takes. Majors has gotten nothing but nearly universal praise for his portrayal of Kang, overcoming a mediocre script like it's nothing and drawing SOMETHING out of this movie. No one is hating this movie because of Majors. People are just tired of the Marvel formula and they pissed away all of their goodwill with the dud that was Phase 4.

Kang is also going to be a different sort of villain than Thanos. They are going to ATTEMPT to write him differently, which they should. I just hope they can pull it off. Kang is immensely powerful but he's also just a man. His advantage is the mastery of time and space. If he's out of those elements there is a chance someone can get a fluke victory over him. Thing is, we don't even know if he's dead. The other Kangs say he is but of course they want to believe that; he was so bad he was excommunicated by a gang of psychopaths and murderers. :mjlol: I think we will see more of that variant again, or at least learn his story.

Taking from both sides of people cheering his portrayal and shytting on it im more in line with your thinking. Kang’s biggest advantage besides the futuristic tech is knowledge of whats to come. Focusing on just this movie it would be like yay threat neutralized and great villain one shotted roll credits but like u said they writing a different threat compared to Thanos who is more cerebral than brute power.

Kang is Time stone Dr strange on Fentynal so he knows how this all goes already so he probably knew the Council of kangs had eyes on him in the QR. they were even disappointed that he wasnt killed by one of them so that shows that he took a dive to plot his escape.

Thats why it was so uncharacteristic for him to sit back and let them foil his plan when it showed he was more than capable once he stepped out. He’s going to take them out quietly from the shadows instead of a full on war like before. This version of Kang is the one that eventually turns into “He Who Remains” so thats how he ends up right back where he started like he said in Loki.

This is chess not checkers nikkas

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I heard a podcast analyze the reception so far and its VERY on point, imo

in short

the reason this movie is getting killed on RT and other platforms is this:

we've given Marvel the benefit of the doubt for years. Heres how they lost it:

No way home :blessed:
Moon Knight - Okay...that was just...not good...but thats a tv show...so...i shouldn't consider it right? :scust:
Dr. Strange - well...marvel really isn't making PROGRESS :lupe: this wasn't abhorrent but very flawed but i should continue giving the benefit of the doubt right?
Ms. Marvel - :unimpressed: whats going on, marvel...
Thor - :dahell: wtf is this...i gave you A LOT OF PASSES...you need to deliver
She hulk - WTF IS THIS...i can't even give you the disney+ pass now
Black Panther - :patrice: i guess it was fine but this isn't hitting like the last package
Quantumania - OKAY. WE'RE DONE GIVING YOU A PASS...NOW we're gonna grade you NOT on the marvel scale, but on the regular scale as everything else. You're getting a C- now. AT BEST. 48%

I fully expect marvel movies other than the core avengers to be judged on a very 'regular' scale...they very well could deliver, but the benefit of the doubt we gave shyt like Black widow and shang chi ain't here anymore it seems...

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When all the marvels had a link even if it was 30 seconds after then movies it felt like a cohesive story being told with a.... Endgame *badum tss*
You could overlook a lot because of that, on top of that the characters themselves had 2 or 3 if movies if not more, plus cameo's to give you a feel of what they were about.

Since phase 4 all that is gone, and if it's one thing that phase 4 has shown to the world is marvel movies aren't really very good without a overarching plot. Especially these one where they feel they HAVE to do certain things.
Women hero that saves the day
"Hero of color" that does something semi important or very important.
Comedy
Get a PG13 Rating but not a PG or R.
Manage to not kill the big baddie but trap them or lock them away somewhere.

Marvel and DC movies need to meet somewhere in the middle. That would be the sweet spot...

The sad thing is marvel or disney double downed with the formula on Disney plus.

The next marvel movie is yet another comedy...
That makes Love & Thunder, she hulk, gotg special, Antman and the new GOTG movie all comedy base in a matter of half a year....
and all of them really not meaning to much overall to anything outside of antman.
Like why should I care about gotg when I know its not gonna tie to kang, and kang is the main bad guy? On top of kang is probably going to lead to secret wars which is probably going to reset all of this making these phase 4 and 5 movies super filler material.

At least if they let the character stop being one dimensional we could grow attached to them like truly before they get wiped away. Instead gamora is back! But not really.

smh.

You hate to see it happen.

Gives me absolutely zero hope for mutants and not want to even see them come to the big screen.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I enjoyed it, more than I thought would. Majors is HIM and I think 60 rating is spot on. The people who really care will like this more than someone who dips in and out. Those who keep up with all the pre-movie news and the online talk may praise it louder than those who maybe didn't watch all eight of the MCU shows. I pirated this, s/o @Tryna Makit for the linkaz. Cassie was so Gen Z, was that really the best design for MODOK? A lot of recycled bits (the guard with the prisoners, the helmet coming on and off, I'm a dikk joke was fine the one time) I legit forgot he could talk to ants until it was mentioned and even that decision was questionable. I honestly couldn't decide if this was a one or a three in my Letterboxd review and I may go back to change it by the weekend.

But my bigger question is this: What are the stakes at this point and I don't think I'll get an honest answer. Anything can happen from here and Kang will always return, so even if he's defeated than another variant will just pop up. It's just a constant cycle of variants from the council showing up to battle the next hero in line. Thanos was just one villain waiting to step on the court. Kang, IMO, will just be a 3-D player, who will just be bigger and better than the previous version until we get the final Kang (I'm assuming?) and as @Shogun said we have a DBZ type dilemma. Now I say this because we're just overloaded with Multiverse stuff and soon enough, I'll just stop caring and dip out.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
It’s definitely better than Thor. The actors all did a good job and kept it engaging…
Yeah outside of the daughter everyone did good with what they was given :yeshrug:

I dont think I ever seen that daughter in a movie but she legit may be one of the worst actresses Ive ever seen