Another wave of layoffs at playstation

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All these developers laying off people while Nintendo in cut just chilling. Real talk though it seems like the industry is heading towards an burst…
Yup at the top of the year I said this
Yup, nikkas be giggling when I say stuff like the industry is currently in a bubble when it comes to Triple A titles but it's facts and should be common sense for people that actually pay attention to gaming news.

Triple A games are a huge risk most are hail Mary passion projects now.

Edit: or super by the metrics and numbers... meaning regurgitated trends that have shown to be profitable in recent years. Currently that's what most are.

The best games now are double A indie games.

Consolidation isn't happening because of XYZ, it's happening because stuff cost too much to make.

And on top of costing a ton, the industry is changing so you can't work people like you use to (which is good for employees but bad for gamers) games are taking longer and longer to come out and the gamers are so cynical and bougie now that a triple title that took 6 years to make can get negative press and reviews for any kind of problem.

Jim Ryan ain't just talking when he said they need COD revenue. They count on that to offset the cost of these games and deals.

Everything cost too much and takes to long to make, you essentially need some kind of GAAS or subscription for buffer time in between your triple A games, that or enough solid IP's to spread out through the years it takes to get the big triple A game out.

Currently triple A gaming is being kept a float by nostalgia remakes of legacy IP's, numbered sequels and spiritual successors.

I couldn't even tell you the last double A new IP that the next generation can build off.

The industry is literally

Indie game to triple A now, with almost no in between almost.

Gonna be interesting to see how things turn out

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Yup at the top of the year I said this

Everything cost too much and takes to long to make, you essentially need some kind of GAAS or subscription for buffer time in between your triple A games, that or enough solid IP's to spread out through the years it takes to get the big triple A game out.

Currently triple A gaming is being kept a float by nostalgia remakes of legacy IP's, numbered sequels and spiritual successors.

I couldn't even tell you the last double A new IP that the next generation can build off.

The industry is literally

Indie game to triple A now, with almost no in between almost.

Gonna be interesting to see how things turn out
Starfield is new IP that literally just came out... But I do get your point

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What makes the Bungie one confusing is that Sony increased employee salaries for retention. I guess it's safe to say nobody is safe in the industry because I didn't see this one coming

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Starfield is new IP that literally just came out... But I do get your point
Yeah there was wild hearts as well, it's just those type of new IPs as triple A games really don't get the love they once would have. People like to say elden Ring (which technically it is) but it's really just an open world dark souls sequel.

For all the hype starfield has if it was released by anyone else or another way the reviews could have really hurt it, same with wild hearts which was an amazing game( buggy on PC at release)

Brand new triple A IP's are risky business now.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I feel layoffs are one of the few things people shouldn't use as ammo for console wars. Times are hard out here for many in the tech industry

Facts. It’s speaks to the health of the industry too. We too often see gaming breaking records and think we’re in the good. I dunno how many layoffs and projects got bodied this year alone but it’s scary indicator where were heading.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Facts. It’s speaks to the health of the industry too. We too often see gaming breaking records and think we’re in the good. I dunno how many layoffs and projects got bodied this year alone but it’s scary indicator where were heading.
Some of us here have been talking about the unhealthy spending vs profit bubble the industry had been facing for a while.

Those record sales were always used to wave away concerns.

“If TLOU can sell 10 million copies then the rest of the industry just needs to do better”

Now we see that’s not enough. Spending has to come way down and/or publishers gotta find a way to take less risks.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
CDPR said AAA game development was hitting a wall, and the response was:

WVvim1F.jpg

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Know nothing about gaming or Playstation but one of the baddest women I ever went out with/liked works for PS, and I could see her getting cut.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
As a longtime Bungie fan, it’s hard not to feel like the acquisition fukked over the company :francis: Shortly afterwards Destiny was already dealing with a lot of issues (technical & community-wide) with resources being stretched thin for Marathon

Granted it’s still entirely possible that they could’ve experienced layoffs while independent, but getting bought out by a company that orders widespread layoffs just a little over a year after the buyout would have me sick if I worked there

This company has been burned by Microsoft, Activision, and Sony at this point :bryan: