Another Sony Exclusive Franchise bites the dust: Spider-Man Remastered coming to PC on August 12, 2022 (Miles Morales coming November 18, 2022)

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
PC isn't a competing platform, console and PC have always been separate markets

that's why Xbox games always been on PC day one, and you never heard xbox stans complain, because they don't know nothing about PC anyway

Sony stans are mad because Xbox stans are throwing it in the face because they said it was no reason to have an xbox because all their games are on PC

I understand where you are coming, but I disagree.

Maybe you are too young or weren’t following the industry when it happened, but Xbox console gamers were not happy when Microsoft announced day and date games with PC.

The strategy started with Quantum Break in 2016 as a PlayAnywhere title. I remember Phil getting some slack and having to use the old line ‘why are people upset that more people get to play games’. People were upset. It was a move that Phil had to make since he was doing his best to convince the higher ups not to sell the brand.

Xbox One was doing poorly.

Understanding the position they were in and context of the time is important. Using Windows and Xbox to address a wider audience of gaming allows for a higher potential revenue/profit as Xbox was not doing well at all. It was a move that had to be made.

[Personal story: I took an L at that time. I bought an Xbox One in January 2016 because I was a Halo fan. Halo 5 came out the previous fall and me being the Halo fan that I was, I had to play it, so I jumped in. So I had Halo *and* the fact that Quantum Break looked promising, it was an Xbox exclusive so maybe Xbox is going to start hitting its stride now.

Within weeks of my purchase I realized that Halo 5 was trash and Phil comes out and delclares that Quantum Break was coming to PC day 1 and they planned on releasing all of their titles day 1 on PC.

I was one of those people that was mad.

You mean they couldn’t tell me that QB and other titles were coming to on PC day 1. By the time they announced it, it was releasing in less than 2 months so its not like the port came out of nowhere. It could’ve saved me $399. And it wasn’t even like this was an E3 annoucement where you expect companies to shake things up, it just came out of nowhere. It was from that moment that I told myself, I am never getting an Xbox console again, I will just game on PC.]

In addition, you and many others always erroneously state that PC isnt a competing platform to consoles. Of course it is. People who say that are either being disingenuous or don’t understand the market.

If you do a Venn diagram it won’t be a complete 1 to 1, but there is a lot of overlap.

Whether on this forum, in person, or if you have seen it online, I am sure you have heard of people either buying/upgrading their PC as opposed to buying a console. Or people looking at 3rd party games exclusive maps/characters or whatever to decide what platform they are going to play a game on.

If John Smith has an Xbox, PC and PlayStation and he buys Mass Effect 4 day 1 on PC, that is a lost sale and no revenue for Xbox or Playstation. They are all competing. In the past, the markets between PC and console were very different but in 2022, PC gaming is increasingly becoming more mainstream and accessible.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If I'm hyped for a game and it comes out I'm playing it then. Not trying to wait from 2018 to 2022 to play a game. At this point it's old news.

I guess people are weird like that. Somebody else paid for my PlayStation 5 for me so doesn't bother me.
You are the weird one. Lots of people play games well after release. That’s why a used game market exists. That’s why game sales exist, bundles, etc.

You goofys create this narrative that all gamers are just dying to play the few sony exclusives day one when that’s just not the case. There’s too many gaming options these days, no one or two or three games has people stressing over which platform they play on. When/if the games come people will play them.

Furthermore you are exaggerating the time frame. Miles Morales would be less than 2 years when it releases on PC. That timeframe will continue to shrink as sony gets their PC division together.

It’s not 2008 anymore. Don’t nobody care about “exclusives” but you weirdo sony stans.:smh:

Sony don’t even care about them anymore:mjlol:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If John Smith has an Xbox, PC and PlayStation and he buys Mass Effect 4 day 1 on PC, that is a lost sale and no revenue for Xbox or Playstation. They are all competing. In the past, the markets between PC and console were very different but in 2022, PC gaming is increasingly becoming more mainstream and accessible.
If John smith has an Xbox PC, and Playstation, then he’d have no reason to buy Mass Effect on console, don’t matter which exclusives are or are not on the consoles.

The John smiths of the world are PC gamers that will play a few exclusives on console.

If those exclusives now come out on PC and John smith doesn’t buy the consoles then he is no less a valuable customer to Xbox/playstation. Cause he’s still buying the few games he would have bought from them.

But also what happens is you make those games available to the millions of gamers who won’t buy a console.

This is why people say the two markets are not really competing.

The market of gamers who are now currently buying and playing most games on console, but will switch to buying and playing all their games on PC if a few select games come to PC is very small. For the most part console players and PC players are two separate markets.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

You are the weird one. Lots of people play games well after release. That’s why a used game market exists. That’s why game sales exist, bundles, etc.

You goofys create this narrative that all gamers are just dying to play the few sony exclusives day one when that’s just not the case. There’s too many gaming options these days, no one or two or three games has people stressing over which platform they play on. When/if the games come people will play them.

Furthermore you are exaggerating the time frame. Miles Morales would be less than 2 years when it releases on PC. That timeframe will continue to shrink as sony gets their PC division together.

It’s not 2008 anymore. Don’t nobody care about “exclusives” but you weirdo sony stans.:smh:

Sony don’t even care about them anymore:mjlol:
Lol you just be arguing to argue.

Nobody is dying to play these exclusives? If Spider-Man Miles Morales sold over 6 million units since launch, that's a VERY solid number especially on a heavily supply constrained console. Spider-Man and Miles has sold 33 million copies since release and he talking about ain't nobody really tryna play em :laff:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
the more games on a platform the better. it's not hard to understand

a lot of games "exclusive" to PC aren't really suited for consoles. but also a lot of popular genres, like battle-royal, started on PC

sure, some people prefer to only play brand new AAA games, but there's not many of those right now on any platform
Some form of exclusivity should always exist in the console space. Honestly I never want Sony to offer day in date to PC, that should be exclusive to those of us who decided to invest into the ecosystem.

I'm fine with a 2 year window for the games coming to PC tho.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If John smith has an Xbox PC, and Playstation, then he’d have no reason to buy Mass Effect on console, don’t matter which exclusives are or are not on the consoles.

The John smiths of the world are PC gamers that will play a few exclusives on console.

If those exclusives now come out on PC and John smith doesn’t buy the consoles then he is no less a valuable customer to Xbox/playstation. Cause he’s still buying the few games he would have bought from them.

But also what happens is you make those games available to the millions of gamers who won’t buy a console.

This is why people say the two markets are not really competing.

The market of gamers who are now currently buying and playing most games on console, but will switch to buying and playing all their games on PC if a few select games come to PC is very small. For the most part console players and PC players are two separate markets.

Without going into depth, having a console sale at $399 or $499 + the attachments (exclusive titles, sometimes 1 year of a sub) are much more valuable and better for revenue forecasts than selling $60 games on another companies platform while they take 30%. We don’t have to debate this and that is fine.

I guess our biggest debate here is that you say people who will drop consoles if all games come to PC is ‘very small’, and I say that its not small and will only grow over time.

We don’t have to agree on that either. As much as I like joining in on forum discussions about this stuff, I’m not paid by any of these guys to develop strategy so I will just watch and see how this all plays out.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Lol you just be arguing to argue.

Nobody is dying to play these exclusives? If Spider-Man Miles Morales sold over 6 million units since launch, that's a VERY solid number especially on a heavily supply constrained console. Spider-Man and Miles has sold 33 million copies since release and he talking about ain't nobody really tryna play em :laff:
I didn’t say nobody is dying to play spider-man specifically. I said nobody is basing their purchase decisions on the general idea of “exclusives”

6 million is a very small fraction of gamers worldwide. Hell it’s a small fraction of playstation specific gamers. These “exclusives” are not moving the needle the way you stans think/want them to. Even sony sees that, hence their push to become a multiplatform publisher.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Without going into depth, having a console sale at $399 or $499 + the attachments (exclusive titles, sometimes 1 year of a sub) are much more valuable and better for revenue forecasts than $60 selling games on another companies platform while they take 30%. We don’t have to debate this and that is fine.
Consoles are sold at cost or a loss. Sony/Xbox does not make any profit off console sales.

People still buy console peripherals for PC. Number one most used controller on PC is Xbox controllers.

No PC gamer is gonna pay for a subscription to play online when they can just play those games on PC for free.

What they will pay for is a game subscription service like gamepass.

There is no debate here, you are just wrong :manny:
I guess our biggest debate here is that you say people who will drop consoles if all games come to PC is ‘very small’, and I say that its not small and will only grow over time.

We don’t have to agree on that either. As much as I like hoping in forum discussions about this stuff, I’m not paid by any of these guys to develop strategy so I will just watch and see how this all plays out.
The top 15 most played/Most popular games are all multiplatform. If there was gonna be a mass exodus to PC it’s already happened.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn’t say nobody is dying to play spider-man specifically. I said nobody is basing their purchase decisions on the general idea of “exclusives”

6 million is a very small fraction of gamers worldwide. Hell it’s a small fraction of playstation specific gamers. These “exclusives” are not moving the needle the way you stans think/want them to. Even sony sees that, hence their push to become a multiplatform publisher.
That 6 million is through 8 months since launch. It's probably a hell of a lot more and that's for a "DLC" as you guys call it. TLOU 2 sold 4.4 million over a few days.

Regardless, a multitude of "exclusives" definitely tips the needle vs not having it at all on another platform. Sony porting games to PC isn't because they're not selling well which is a dumb statement. If anything, these PC ports are just some runners thrown out there.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That 6 million is through 8 months. It's probably a hell of a lot more and that's for a "DLC" as you guys call it.
[/QUOTE]
But in thought it was all about “Day One” you mean to tell me that people still keep buying a game well after release?????:ohhh:

There’s at least 100 million play still gamers alone. Apparently playstuon gamers are “dying” to play Miles morales :manny:

Regardless, a multitude of "exclusives" definitely tips the needle vs not having it at all.
That’s the narrative you goofys try to promote. But the numbers paint a very different reality.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So.....what exactly is the problem with it coming to pc that has some people upset in here?
They can’t make their number one console wars argument anymore :mjlol:

They view owning a playstation as some privilege or status symbol, so the idea of someone playing their games without a playstation diminishes their own feelings about their game consoles.

Sony stans got issues :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
MeachtheMonster said:
But in thought it was all about “Day One” you mean to tell me that people still keep buying a game well after release?????:ohhh:

There’s at least 100 million play still gamers alone. Apparently playstuon gamers are “dying” to play Miles morales :manny:

That’s the narrative you goofys try to promote. But the numbers paint a very different reality.
What are you even saying? :mjlol:

When did anyone ever say people don't buy games after release? WHAT?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What are you even saying? :mjlol:
We started out our back and forth about people “dying” to play playstation games day one.

You have now pivoted to talking about how much miles morales might have sold months or years after release.

Proving my point that the majority of gamers aren’t running out to buy hardware based on one or a few exclusives. People will play the game whenever it gets to them.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We started out our back and forth about people “dying” to play playstation games day one.

You have now pivoted to talking about how much miles morales might have sold months or years after release.

Proving my point that the majority of gamers aren’t running out to buy hardware based on one or a few exclusives. People will play the game whenever it gets to them.
So according to you, what is the metric for what makes someone "run out and buy hardware" then? Because no matter which way you spin it, ANY game would still sell within the same range of those exclusives you downplay as not having any hype for people to go out and buy a console for it.