Andrew Yang (Former 2020 Presidential Candidate): What's his future? #YangGang :lupe:

---

Superstar
Daps

Good critique!

No, it isn't a good critique at all!

1. Let's go through his critiques. 15% cut is more than adequate. The same numbers he uses to show the highest number of employees from pass administration till now have been cut by an order of magnitude greater than 15%.

At the same time, it's like me saying that I have cut and saved 15% off total expenditures in my own companies but I need to stop because cutting more would save me too much money. Haha, I actually laughed out loud reading that.

2. Measure the effectiveness of a law is somehow silly how? So the author believes that quantifying the effectiveness of a law is harmful. The notion that indicator will be used as a measure to stop bills from passing only is not only a bald-faced lie it makes this author seems like he has an agenda. There is nothing wrong with trying to quantify the effectiveness of the law. How in the world is that dangerous?

3. Again why is bad to make things more efficient. If AI in some sense can cut cost, and reduce inefficiency they why in the world is that a bad thing.

4. The name for the new department does suck but nowhere does it say that the person charge will have control over local and state laws. Any time an author uses dictator to describe something he doesn't like warning signs all over.

As for UBI so tired of people using these dumb unemployment numbers to justify how well America is doing. If I hear another person say the economy is doing well I will slap them. :yayo:The economy is doing well for assets holders in the equities markets. The economy is not working for wage earners. 90% of new jobs are contract jobs. That are low paying jobs. Wage growth has not moved in decades.:facepalm:

If the author thinks technology unemployment isn't a real thing I would love for him to explain how productivity has decoupled from the employment market.

technologocical-unemployment-labour-prod-768x691.png

The article is a hack job at best!

Last edited:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
No, it isn't a good critique at all!

1. Let's go through his critiques. 15% cut is more than adequate. The same numbers he uses to show the highest number of employees from pass administration till now have been cut by an order of magnitude greater than 15%.
Uh, since it's literally not possible to cut your employees by an order of magnitude greater than 15%, I really have no idea what claim you're trying to make here. Can you restate what you mean? It

2. Measure the effectiveness of a law is somehow silly how? So the author believes that quantifying the effectiveness of a law is harmful. The notion that indicator will be used as a measure to stop bills from passing only is not only a bald-faced lie it makes this author seems like he has an agenda. There is nothing wrong with trying to quantify the effectiveness of the law. How in the world is that dangerous?
Read Weapons of Math Destruction. In short, attempts to mathematically quantify things that are normally quantified often create perverse incentives and runaway systemic bias.

3. Again why is bad to make things more efficient. If AI in some sense can cut cost, and reduce inefficiency they why in the world is that a bad thing.
Because our experience of the last 300 years is that the more you remove humanity from the equation, the uglier life gets and the more power accumulates towards the top. I mean seriously, AI counselors, AI mental health professionals? Those are the EXACT professions where the human touch is most essential. The fact that he's advocating AI so often, and especially in fields like those, is a bad look that suggests he doesn't understand AI's disadvantages.

The criticisms may not be being given in correct proportion to the good things, but they are legit criticisms.

---

Superstar
Daps
Uh, since it's literally not possible to cut your employees by an order of magnitude greater than 15%, I really have no idea what claim you're trying to make here. Can you restate what you mean? It

Read Weapons of Math Destruction. In short, attempts to mathematically quantify things that are normally quantified often create perverse incentives and runaway systemic bias.

Because our experience of the last 300 years is that the more you remove humanity from the equation, the uglier life gets and the more power accumulates towards the top. I mean seriously, AI counsellors, AI mental health professionals? Those are the EXACT professions where the human touch is most essential. The fact that he's advocating AI so often, and especially in fields like those, is a bad look that suggests he doesn't understand AI's disadvantages.

The criticisms may not be being given in correct proportion to the good things, but they are legit criticisms.

1) From a previous administration say Clinton to Bush the drop in the workforce was greater than 15%. Just not one administration. If you can cut employees and save money you do it. In my business, if we starting cutting employees we don't stop until a certain number we cut more and save more. There isn't such a thing as understaffed, there is do more with less. The federal government even with the lowest amount of current federal employees still can be cut by more than 15%. As the next administration will probably bring the number down even lower.

2) I'll read the book thanks. If it's like every other quantifying is bad book I will probably only skim through it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to quantify the effectiveness of anything. Accountability for dollars spent is what government should do especially when the sole purpose of government is to balance the excessive in the market place.

3) Automation is here and honestly can't be stopped and will continue to move forward. Luddites have been screaming against it for years and we are here carrying on perfectly as species. The only problem now is the slope has changed dramatically so a bigger displacement in the workplace is coming. With that being said we should incorporate some automation process into the government.

The public sector would handle the implementation of automation the exact same way the private sector does when implementing a new process. Test it out, see where it fits and when it is less buggy let it do the work on its own.

The criticisms are fair but not enough to distract someone who wants the best for the country. Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited: