Andrew Yang (Former 2020 Presidential Candidate): What's his future? #YangGang :lupe:

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Yang ain’t ready then neither is Beto or the gay mayor from Iowa. It’s easier to shyt on yang bc he isn’t a p*ssy and lists his policies on his page. No one else is doing that so you can’t shyt on them.

Bernie is done. If he’s on the 2020 ticket, Trump is winning again. Losers from precious elections don’t win again.
factually incorrect, Nixon won after losing

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bernie has 75% favorability amongst Dem voters in Morning Consult poll today. Just a couple points behind Biden.

If he’s the nominee he’s kicking Trump’s ass in the Midwest. I wouldn’t bet on him being the nominee. It’s provably gonna be Harris or Biden IMO.
ugh really? Biden ?! nah , i cant. I barely can stomach it being one of the fake progressive trio of harris/booker/gilenbrand, please no biden

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If Yang ain’t ready then neither is Beto or the gay mayor from Iowa. It’s easier to shyt on yang bc he isn’t a p*ssy and lists his policies on his page. No one else is doing that so you can’t shyt on them.

Bernie is done. If he’s on the 2020 ticket, Trump is winning again. Losers from precious elections don’t win again.
factually incorrect, Nixon won after losing

Reagan too. He was a distant third in 1968 and then just barely lost to Ford in 1976 before finally breaking through in 1980.

And George H.W. Bush as well. He went up against Reagan in 1980, beat him in Iowa but lost most of the following states and eventually dropped out of the race in May, then became his running mate and won the presidency himself in 1988.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Good critique!

I agree with the people who say that a lot of candidates could be criticized for a lot of ideas.

But that was a really necessary piece. Some of those ideas Yang has aren't just bad, they're dangerously bad, and they indicate a thought process that could go south in a lot of other ways too. There was Peter Thiel-type stuff in there, the sort of assumptions that tech and a business mindset are going to solve everything with a blindness to how tech and business mindsets are making the world worse at this very moment.

I hope Yang gets airtime so that certain good ideas of his (like UBI) become more and more mainstreamed. But I don't want him in the presidency. He's not just not ready, that piece exposed to me that he has a way of thinking quite incompatible with the direction I think the world needs to go.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I agree with the people who say that a lot of candidates could be criticized for a lot of ideas.

But that was a really necessary piece. Some of those ideas Yang has aren't just bad, they're dangerously bad, and they indicate a thought process that could go south in a lot of other ways too. There was Peter Thiel-type stuff in there, the sort of assumptions that tech and a business mindset are going to solve everything with a blindness to how tech and business mindsets are making the world worse at this very moment.

I hope Yang gets airtime so that certain good ideas of his (like UBI) become more and more mainstreamed. But I don't want him in the presidency. He's not just not ready, that piece exposed to me that he has a way of thinking quite incompatible with the direction I think the world needs to go.

tenor.gif

Got heads dismissing legitimate critiques as bias without bothering to reflect or attempt to refute what's being said (let's be honest because the critiques are pretty clear and accurate). Yang's ability to recognize and diagnose problems with our society is good, his solutions aren't particularly impressive and in some cases flat out bad.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
tenor.gif

Got heads dismissing legitimate critiques as bias without bothering to reflect or attempt to refute what's being said (let's be honest because the critiques are pretty clear and accurate). Yang's ability to recognize and diagnose problems with our society is good, his solutions aren't particularly impressive and in some cases flat out bad.
I feel like a lot of this criticism is the result of Yang's saying too much. There's a reasons why the career politicians give vague non-answers to most questions, and I think this kind of response is it. All the criticisms are valid, but to say he's dangerous or somehow acting in bad faith seems to be hyperbolic. Of the other front runners I haven't heard them say a single thing about automation. That, to me, is dangerous :manny: (admittedly, they may have positions on automation that I've missed)

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I feel like a lot of this criticism is the result of Yang's saying too much. There's a reasons why the career politicians give vague non-answers to most questions, and I think this kind of response is it. All the criticisms are valid, but to say he's dangerous or somehow acting in bad faith seems to be hyperbolic. Of the other front runners I haven't heard them say a single thing about automation. That, to me, is dangerous :manny: (admittedly, they may have positions on automation that I've missed)

I don't think he's acting in bad faith. Dangerous is probably hyperbole. But his platform and even his UBI model looks like fool's gold to me. Him being just as fooled by shoddy versions of good ideas as anyone else. I do appreciate his recognition of problems, I think that's valuable especially on a debate stage...but his ideas on how to resolve those issues look like a fail to me and not because they're too left or radical. Because they're not cohesive and there's a lot of libertarian babble mixed in.

Daps

Yang does not think tech and business are gonna “sort themselves out”, he’s saying the opposite of that. Putting him in the same category as Thiel is intellectually dishonest and inserting his name next to Yang is low hanging fruit.

To call yang’s policies dangerously bad is utterly ridiculous. Take the podcaster who wrote the article with a grain of salt like you would any writer.

Calling his policies dangerous is a complete headscratcher. It sounds like a buzz phrase created by DNC establishment or the media bc they wanna push mainstream, popular dem candidates like o’rourke, Harris or Biden.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yang does not think tech and business are gonna “sort themselves out”, he’s saying the opposite of that. Putting him in the same category as Thiel is intellectually dishonest and inserting his name next to Yang is low hanging fruit.

To call yang’s policies dangerously bad is utterly ridiculous. Take the podcaster who wrote the article with a grain of salt like you would any writer.

Calling his policies dangerous is a complete headscratcher. It sounds like a buzz phrase created by DNC establishment or the media bc they wanna push mainstream, popular dem candidates like o’rourke, Harris or Biden.

I didn't say that he thinks tech and business are going to sort themselves out, not only was that wrong but it was strange for you to put that like in quotes like those were my words. I said that he thinks a tech and business mindset are going to solve everything. You just did exactly what you were trying to accuse me of doing.

These are the sorts of things I was pulling that from:

Technology is advancing to the point where we should be able to get more done with fewer people, and studies show that fewer federal employees leave their jobs than their private counterparts and enjoy much higher pension benefits. At the same time, the federal workforce is aging and struggles to recruit and retain younger workers. If the top four tech companies can do as much as they do with fewer than 1 million workers, the federal government can find ways to do more with less.
Imagine an AI life coach with the voice of Oprah or Tom Hanks trying to help parents stay together or raise kids. Or a new Legion of Builders and Destroyers that install millions of solar panels across the country, upgrade our infrastructure and remove derelict buildings while also employing tens of thousands of workers. Or a digital personalized education subscription that is constantly giving you new material and grouping you with a few other people who are studying the same thing. Or a wearable device that monitors your vital signs and sends data to your doctor while recommending occasional behavior changes. Or voting securely in your local elections via your smartphone without any worry of fraud.
Invest in AI counselors and other technology that may be helpful in identifying and treating mental health issues across a broad population. The AI would refer issues to a human psychologist.
Promote the use of AI for social workers
Promote the use of AI and telecounseling for those who need a psychologist
Direct the IRS to invest in online courses and AI-based advisors to help people understand their options for personal finance
Invest heavily in carbon capture and geoengineering technologies designed to reverse the damage already done to the environment through a new Global Geoengineering Institute and invite international participation.
Invest in any idea that has the potential to reverse the damage done to the environment, for example cloud-seeding technology to increase the atmosphere’s reflectivity.

That to me shows a mindset of "the business world knows the right way to be doing things and we should be replacing a lot of human jobs with tech." Things like turning government functions over to AI, turning psychological interventions over to AI, using geoengineering to solve climate change rather than addressing resource use...those aren't just wrong to me, those suggest to me that he's internalized some really bad ideas from the tech sector.

So then I look at his resume, see he bounced from corporate law to celebrity philanthropy to test prep to startup incubation...that's not alleviating any fears. That all revolves around the same network of ideas that I distrust.

From what I've read I think that Andrew Yang is great at identifying the problems in our society. I agree with him almost across the board on what the issues are. But answers like those lead me to believe that he is overly trustful of the ability of technology and the business mindset to solve those problems.

I admit I probably overstated my case earlier, fueled by the cherry-picking nature of the review I had just read. When I expand more broadly the bad ideas tend to be side-by-side with good ones. But I still have concerns over the similarities in the nature of those bad ideas.