Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I mean... even Jay Z hasn't had an album in what 4 or 5 years now?

Nas went years without an album and then started just forcing himself to pump out music.

I get where Dre is coming from.

He's not hungry anymore.
If you listen to any of Nas albums and think he's "forcing" himself to make them you're insane.

Jay has settled into his "Features" era but i'd bet anything we'll get at least 1-2 more solo albums out of him before its all said and done.

Dre doesn't have to be hungry and I respect the fact he's not faking the funk and being honest about where he is creatively and artistically, but just because he's tapped out on rap doesn't mean the likes of Nas, Jay, BIG BOI, Common, Black Thought, and Lupe Fiasco aren't easily negating this myth that rap has an age limit, or mainstream rap has some sort of creative ceiling.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Man fck his artistic integrity. He can rap about anything. He can make a concept album.

Truth is, he aint into rap like that anymore . And thats ok :yeshrug:
Facts, it's perfectly fine and he should be comfortable saying it.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Andre 3000 is another one of those artists that people consider the goat because it's just known as a general truth. Nobody listens to his old music

:yeshrug:

Most of these people that claim he is one of the greatest can't even recite one of his verses outside of Int'l Players Anthem. He is one of the most overrated rappers we have seen and he doesn't even rap.
Wild takes. So because you were never a fan you think other people are just going along with him being crowned goat? Nah we actually listened. I can recite his lyrics on many songs. We not about to pretend he didn't have memorable verses cuz you didn't listen. Not Andre :usure:

Mwrex

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wouldn't want a rap album from an artist whose heart isn't into it. There's stuff I still want to do, but it just doesn't feel the way it use to :sadcam:

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Wild takes. So because you were never a fan you think other people are just going along with him being crowned goat? Nah we actually listened. I can recite his lyrics on many songs. We not about to pretend he didn't have memorable verses cuz you didn't listen. Not Andre :usure:

Lol dudes just be saying anything

parallax

Superstar
Daps
He just worried people will say he no longer has "it" anymore.

He could rap about the state of the world

He could rap about questioning his role as a father as his kids grow up and don't need him in the same ways.

He could rap about how he feels about getting older and seeing where his legacy has lead.

Honestly, if he only has one more in the tank, I'd like it to be a continuation to a life in the day.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Weak ass excuses. Get this cold feet ass nikka outta here man :camby:
Why would he need excuses? Every time he do actually drop a verse it's fire. So what if he has cold feet. I think rap fans are so used to fake machismo and fronts that they just can't handle people who are open and vulnerable.

Every time Andre speaks in public the reactions are full of angry entitlement. Like people are genuinely mad he isn't doing what they want him to do. Instead of understanding him as a human being and where he is coming from. it's more like he owes y'all something. shyt is weird to me. Probably the most unproblematic dude in the culture and folks hate him for it on some "just stfu and entertain me" clown shyt

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
If he releasing music and not rapping, shyt is going triple wood.

No one is trying to hear this dude play the flute like a leprechaun

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Shows how one dimensional he is a rapper. I think the game is missing mature rap; family, health, aging, etc.

I don't think "One Dimensional" is the word. I think when it comes to rap he's more creatively stunted.

I think he erroneously sees RAP as one dimensional, or rather he sees the fanbase as so. And maybe as a fanbase we've had something to do with that. It's been said several times by Andre himself and us as fans that Andre was only able to be the artist he became because Big Boi acted as the "grounding force" so that Outkast didn't become too weird or too abstract. Andre said he's heard all the criticism about him and I think he's been internalizing that criticism all of his career, and maybe perhaps holding onto it. First it was Southern Rap was wack and they were getting booed at the Source Awards, then it was they switched up their style too much, then it was "why the wigs and pink boots"? Then it was "Why all the singing"? The man has been doubted at every point in his career, even a close friend told him that Hey Ya was going to end his career. But through it all he's been, not just successful, but EXTREMELY successful. I can see how constantly proving everybody wrong could make someone a little jaded towards the genre. And how you could look at that genre and say "Ya'll need to grow up", and kind not fukk with it a little.

But thats Andre's mindstate and decision making, not every MC. Some MC's use doubt as fuel like Nas. Some choose to immerse themselves in the acclaim they get and double down on it like Jay-Z. Some do it because they feel DRIVEN to do it like KRS-One.