And the Netflix bloodbath begins. Multiple execs fired, new shows canceled, anime studio slashed

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
No. That is not what they've been doing. Giving 70 million to Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson and Gal Gadot to make a heist movie is the opposite of that. There is no merchandising potential in a film like that. That movie can still be made for 50 million, but that means "names" have to take a haircut.

This is unsustainable. The Simpsons became its own ecosystem of revenue. Same with the Disney Princess series. The Pixar series, CARS, is a perfect example. The movies do meh at best. The merch sells 1000% more.

It’s exactly what they’ve been doing. Why do you think they keep churning out content? With a streaming services, you have to have new content 24/7 365 that appeals to ALL target demographics and have one show ready to replace the other. That merchandising shyt is fine, but how many shows or movies actually become that? Every animated is not going to be those type of hits and the majority of movies won’t be that either.

It’s not that easy making a hit show or movies these days. It’s just not. It’s why I say once again that the cable route was cheaper and more lucrative for these companies.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The problem is you don't know what's churning in a profit until it's out, a lot of these shows get cancelled before the first season has even aired

With streaming services, it’s hard to tell what is churning a profit and what isn’t. It’s why Disney and Black Widow had the right idea to make that true determination, but people said nah. That’s the only way you will really see how much they shows and movies are making.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yeah they attacking the wrong department.

They struggling because their library of older movies is complete trash and their shows are formulaic, unappealing, uninspired, and loaded with heavy handed topics written by people with no real life experience.

Also you said a word that a lot of people overlook. Library.

Netflix doesn't have a fukking library because they remove content constantly without warning. :hhh:

If they actually kept a consistent catalog that stayed in place they'd be in better shape.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so why havent they just paid for their own netflix account??? :dahell: and u set it up for them?
I consider it a personal accomplishment to teach my mom how to use a iPad and how to read emails
Also you said a word that a lot of people overlook. Library.

Netflix doesn't have a fukking library because they remove content constantly without warning. :hhh:

If they actually kept a consistent catalog that stayed in place they'd be in better shape.
they don’t own most of that content

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so why havent they just paid for their own netflix account??? :dahell: and u set it up for them?

My parents are broke af breh so it’s nothing to pay $100 for them to use various streaming services. I use it too but it’s always funny when I do because back in college, I pirated everything.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
With streaming services, it’s hard to tell what is churning a profit and what isn’t. It’s why Disney and Black Widow had the right idea to make that true determination, but people said nah. That’s the only way you will really see how much they shows and movies are making.

But that's another reason Netflix's business model doesn't work. Staying consistent and committed to projects, especially as a movie/TV programming business, is the move. Don't greenlight everything, greenlight shyt that you know you are going to dedicate to 2 to 3 seasons to so you can actually see what's getting acclaim and capitalize off that.

Hell, especially with shyt like animated properties, there's opportunities for toys, games, you can see youtube metrics, all that extracurricular shyt that comes with that to help you determine if it's a dud or not, and if it is, then move on. Cancelling shyt before it even has time to touch the ground, especially when you release every episode at once (also a bad business move), is a clear failure.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I consider it a personal accomplishment to teach my mom how to use a iPad and how to read emails

they don’t own most of that content

That's true, but when they were the only show in town, they proved that they didn't give a fukk about building a catalog, they should have been able to easily see what was making traction and what wasn't and when the rights expired, offer a big bag to keep that content longer.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
But that's another reason Netflix's business model doesn't work. Staying consistent and committed to projects, especially as a movie/TV programming business, is the move. Don't greenlight everything, greenlight shyt that you know you are going to dedicate to 2 to 3 seasons to so you can actually see what's getting acclaim and capitalize off that.

Hell, especially with shyt like animated properties, there's opportunities for toys, games, you can see youtube metrics, all that extracurricular shyt that comes with that to help you determine if it's a dud or not, and if it is, then move on. Cancelling shyt before it even has time to touch the ground, especially when you release every episode at once (also a bad business move), is a clear failure.

The entire streaming service model doesn’t work. It’s not just Netflix. I don’t think people realize just how much it costs to operate one. Disney is going to run into the same problem as at some point a lot of those Marvel shows will be too expensive to justify the cost from the viewership that they bring in. Merchandising from some shows isn’t going to change that.

It’s why we will eventually end back up at cable. Before you insist otherwise, why do you think cable was created in the first place.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
It’s exactly what they’ve been doing. Why do you think they keep churning out content? With a streaming services, you have to have new content 24/7 365 that appeals to ALL target demographics and have one show ready to replace the other. That merchandising shyt is fine, but how many shows or movies actually become that? Every animated is not going to be those type of hits and the majority of movies won’t be that either.

It’s not that easy making a hit show or movies these days. It’s just not. It’s why I say once again that the cable route was cheaper and more lucrative for these companies.

Breh, I work in entertainment. I know it's not easy to make franchises more than most. That's not the crux of my argument. You can't pay 300 million to Ryan Murphy to create worse shows than American Horror Story or Glee. 275 million to Adam Sandler and WME to create bad comedies, which is just to have the rights to make it. The film budgets are a separate cost. They are spending money on names and not content. The price point needs to come way down and more content needs to replace it to give them more chances to find hits. They also have a crappy consumer products division. They had zero Squid Games merchandise ready for Halloween.

You can't pay 3 actors 70+ million to do a heist film if that film isn't going to theatres or SVOD. You've just lost two ancillary streams of revenue. This is bad business.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Breh, I work in entertainment. I know it's not easy to make franchises more than most. That's not the crux of my argument. You can't pay 300 million to Ryan Murphy to create worse shows than American Horror Story or Glee. 275 million to Adam Sandler and WME to create bad comedies, which is just to have the rights to make it. The film budgets are a separate cost. They are spending money on names and not content. The price point needs to come way down and more content needs to replace it to give them more chances to find hits. They also have a crappy consumer products division. They had zero Squid Games merchandise ready for Halloween.

You can't pay 3 actors 70+ million to do a heist film if that film isn't going to theatres or SVOD. You've just lost two ancillary streams of revenue. This is bad business.

Which is exactly the reason why I said a previous post that eventually these streaming services are going to start putting certain movies and TV shows behind separate paywalls, which is exactly what Disney tried doing with Black Widow.

Disney laid out the blueprint and it’s only a matter of time before someone tries it again. It’s the only way to truly measure how much these movies are actually bringing in.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
The entire streaming service model doesn’t work. It’s not just Netflix. I don’t think people realize just how much it costs to operate one. Disney is going to run into the same problem as at some point a lot of those Marvel shows will be too expensive to justify the cost from the viewership that they bring in. Merchandising from some shows isn’t going to change that.

It’s why we will eventually end back up at cable. Before you insist otherwise, why do you think cable was created in the first place.

The thing is that disney, hbo, etc have other businesses to alleviate that cost, and largely even if they spend, say 30 M per project, they have other ways of getting that back, and they can use their services to supplement those businesses.

Encanto made more money after being on D+, it did ok before that, but it became a HIT after, theyre now banking on toys, clothes, music, and can make it an attraction at disneyland if they like. That's the difference

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

That's also where I was going with my post. It's not just the content and the watching of said content that makes money.