And the Netflix bloodbath begins. Multiple execs fired, new shows canceled, anime studio slashed

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Netflix Officially Adding Commercials

It's the end of an era for Netflix. While the service has long been praised for its total lack of ads and commercials, Netflix is reversing its course on the matter. On Tuesday, Deadline reported that Netflix co-CEO Reed Hastings said that ads will soon be incorporated into the service.

Hastings' comments come shortly after Chief Product Officer Greg Peters acknowledged that there would be differences in pricing for subscriptions in different territories. Both Hastings and Peters discussed the current state of Netflix, and its future, during the company's first-quarter earnings call, which was posted to YouTube on Tuesday. During the interview, the CEO noted that they will begin to implement advertising on Netflix in the "next year or two."

"One way to increase the price spread is advertising on low-end plans and to have lower prices with advertising," Hastings said. "Those who have followed Netflix know that I've been against the complexity of advertising and a big fan of the simplicity of subscription." Even though he has been against the incorporation of advertising in the past, he acknowledged that this would be a necessary step for the streaming platform. He also said that this would be a positive for Netflix subscribers, as it will give them "consumer choice" and the ability to choose a cheaper subscription, albeit one with advertisements.

:hhh::mjlol::scust:
So that price bout to drop….right?:ufdup:

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734

It's the end of an era for Netflix. While the service has long been praised for its total lack of ads and commercials, Netflix is reversing its course on the matter. On Tuesday, Deadline reported that Netflix co-CEO Reed Hastings said that ads will soon be incorporated into the service.

Hastings' comments come shortly after Chief Product Officer Greg Peters acknowledged that there would be differences in pricing for subscriptions in different territories. Both Hastings and Peters discussed the current state of Netflix, and its future, during the company's first-quarter earnings call, which was posted to YouTube on Tuesday. During the interview, the CEO noted that they will begin to implement advertising on Netflix in the "next year or two."

"One way to increase the price spread is advertising on low-end plans and to have lower prices with advertising," Hastings said. "Those who have followed Netflix know that I've been against the complexity of advertising and a big fan of the simplicity of subscription." Even though he has been against the incorporation of advertising in the past, he acknowledged that this would be a necessary step for the streaming platform. He also said that this would be a positive for Netflix subscribers, as it will give them "consumer choice" and the ability to choose a cheaper subscription, albeit one with advertisements.

Got damn it's fukkin OVER FOR THEM

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall

The “Hulu” model I suppose
But even I’m tired of Hulu and it’s spotty service
Missed 30 minutes of the Warriors game last night because it magically stopped working:stopitslime:
And live tv with ads is some bullshyt too
Only reason I’m keeping it for right now is Disney+ is included
After I catch up on some movies I missed and Marvel shyt
Reconsidering my subscription

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
I mean who couldn't see this shyt happening. These kats were in incredible debt and were overpaying for shows, movies and standups for years.

They were trying to go the Amazon route in which they had years and even over a decade in debt hoping that it would payoff. Only thing is they didn't do an true analysis of the upcoming competition.

Netflix (and Uber) in for a rude awakening. Netflix talked all about how blockbuster fumbled the bag and they on their way to being another blockbuster if they don't clean up their act real quick.

They better get on that live sports wave quick. If I was them I would look into getting some professional or college sports or even high school sports live streams whether in the states or overseas. One easy thing they could do to get subscribers (though that boat probably sailed) was to get on that HBCU wave with sports. They probably could have got the rights to broadcast some of the games for cheap. Even gave certain packages to customer for like 5 to 8 bucks a month subscriptions to follow their basketball or football teams for a season.

They got to think outside the box. shyt I would even cover live cricket and ping pong for my India and Chinese subscribers.

Sports would absolutely be a money loser for them. What they need and have not been doing is finding projects that have merchandising potential. The reason Disney is so successful is they have multiple revenue streams, most notably their consumer products division which brings in over 35 billion dollars a year.

You need merchandise to supplement the ebbs and flows of content. Which means you need a new Simpsons, you need a new Star Wars, you need a new Transformers. They can be cartoons, but they to be something that could become a franchise. Too much agenda stuff and paying the above the line talent TOO MUCH MONEY.

Meryl Streep made 20 million for The Laundromat. Why? That is a film that could have been made for 25 million. Budgets are out of control for "name" talent. These people don't even have fanbases like that.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
It is going to be funny watching Telsa crash and burn.

I think a lot of companies in the last 20 years are build around getting money from investors and offloading the money elsewhere.

I feel that if you were to do a thorough analysis of the executives', you would find that they're not actually acting in the company's best interests.

Netflix is a company that has actually delivered on the services promised. The quality hasn't been great, the return on investment hasn't been great, but it is there.

I cannot say the same about Telsa. A lot of money has been invested in ideas which will not materialise.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Meryl Streep made 20 million for The Laundromat. Why? That is a film that could have been made for 25 million. Budgets are out of control for "name" talent. These people don't even have fanbases like that.

This is why a thorough investigation is required. They need to start looking at the people the executives are connected to as I wouldn't be surprised if they know producers, agents etc.

Imagine if you owned a company and someone signed off on paying Justin Timberlake 5 million to sing at a corporate event. You'd be thinking to yourself "Why not hire a DJ or some local act".

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
This is why a thorough investigation is required. They need to start looking at the people the executives are connected to as I wouldn't be surprised if they know producers, agents etc.

Imagine if you owned a company and someone signed off on paying Justin Timberlake 5 million to sing at a corporate event. You'd be thinking to yourself "Why not hire a DJ or some local act".

I talk about this with my buddy all the time, but the biggest issue is that even if Netflix was to fail, people like Reed Hastings and Ted Sarandos will still be billionaires or near billionaires. They are far too solidified for it to matter. At this point, they are just using the company as a piggy bank.

Netflix failing only hurts the creative community and the audience.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

Warner is trash refuse as well as netflix.
There is nuffin to watch on hbo max.
except the new countless relaunch of batman and zach Snyder's justice league.
A batman where again. They cast someone for batman.
who should be the joker.
Yet is cast as batman.

Case in point.

Michael keaton = beetle juice = joker but is batman
Val kilmer = iceman = joker but is batman[the best batman but still the joker]
George clooney = not a hero in any sense of the word = joker but cast as batman
Bale = american psycho = joker but is batman
New batman = villain drac vampire from twilight = joker but is batman
Ben affleck = villain pedo from mallrats to dazed and confused = joker but is cast as batman.

Make it make sense cause it does not.

Art Barr