Ancestry DNA Matches from Africa - Are These Questions Ok to Ask Them or Nah?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Which service did you use to end up finding people in Africa? I’ve done 23andme but heard ancestry is better for this type of thing

anyway, what brought me to bump this thread was the timeline feature in 23andme. The direct overlap of my most recent Congolese/Angolan line with British and the similar percentages I have of each hit me hard because I can basically deduct when my ancestor was raped. Disgusting ass white people, as if slavery weren’t enough

Ancestry Matches. :smile:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
trying to find if i have an African matches. so far all i've found is i have some distant cousin from Cuba lol

EDIT: and Mexico :ehh:

EDIT2: found a person with a Ghanaian surname :ehh::ehh:very distant cousin tho

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
You have to put in all the African countries - that link to your results. That's how I found mine.

Try different locations in those specific countries as well.
thanks; i just ran some searches. most results/matches are for Ghana, then Nigeria, then Angola, and one for Senegal

found AA cousins too

Daps
trying to find if i have an African matches. so far all i've found is i have some distant cousin from Cuba lol

EDIT: and Mexico :ehh:

EDIT2: found a person with a Ghanaian surname :ehh::ehh:very distant cousin tho
Any known ancestry in those areas? Or was it a surprise?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Any known ancestry in those areas? Or was it a surprise?
wasn't completely sure but family oral history indicated we have a Mandingo ancestor and from Ghana (i have Jamaican Maroon ancestry) and considering where my family is from no real surprises

Daps
wasn't completely sure but family oral history indicated we have a Mandingo ancestor and from Ghana (i have Jamaican Maroon ancestry) and considering where my family is from no real surprises
Sounds like you have roots either in the east coast or gulf coast. Especially since a sizable amount of slaves came from the caribbean even more so in the Chesapeake area, ny,nj,penn, Maryland, louisiana, east texas,etc. My paternal side largely descends from Jamaica, with haiti, Dominica, and distant connections to saint Lucia, Barbados, trinidad, cuba and guadeloupe. They all settled in those areas of the US(nola,baton rouge,east texas,philly,bmore,dc)and parts of Canada (nova scotia)during the late 17th through the early 19th centuries. I found some 4th cousins from PR as well.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Sounds like you have roots either in the east coast or gulf coast. Especially since a sizable amount of slaves came from the caribbean even more so in the Chesapeake area, ny,nj,penn, Maryland, louisiana, east texas,etc. My paternal side largely descends from Jamaica, with haiti, Dominica, and distant connections to saint Lucia, Barbados, trinidad, cuba and guadeloupe. They all settled in those areas of the US(nola,baton rouge,east texas,philly,bmore,dc)and parts of Canada (nova scotia)during the late 17th through the early 19th centuries. I found some 4th cousins from PR as well.
I’m from the east coast but My family is from the Caribbean (Jamaica Haiti South America etc.)

just goes to show how much migration took place

Daps
I’m from the east coast but My family is from the Caribbean (Jamaica Haiti South America etc.)

just goes to show how much migration took place
exactly. Also when you take into account inter island migration

• Dap
Reactions: Dip