Ancestry DNA Matches from Africa - Are These Questions Ok to Ask Them or Nah?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
@Akan I need your help again - if you don't mind and whenever you have time. I know you are great with DNA results. :smile:

Yesterday - I uploaded my Ancestry DNA Raw Data to 23andMe - as they had a special for 4 free reports. And I just got my results this AM. Now, I am kinda confused. As I have different results than Ancestry.

Ancestry DNA: 83% SS African

9PsreCp.png

23&Me: 80.2% SS African

Nn3pK5l.png

Y2w2XHy.png

A8abEHR.png

23andMe does seem more comprehensive than Ancestry DNA - but Cabo Verde and Liberia threw me off.

Questions:

-- 23&Me doesn't show Mali and Benin/Togo like AncestryDNA. Would those two countries tie into Ghana and Nigeria with 23andMe - as you explained yesterday about
the Migrations into Ivory Coast and Ghana?

Or

-- Would my Ancestry DNA Mali and Benin/Togo be translated to my Capo Verde on 23&Me? See:Cape Verdean Results

-- How does Liberia come into play? Could it be due to Capo-Verde? Or does it just mean I share DNA markers with natives in the area/country that became known as Liberia?
The Pepper Coast, also known as the Grain Coast, has been inhabited by indigenous peoples of Africa at least as far back as the 12th century. Mende-speaking people expanded westward from the Sudan, forcing many smaller ethnic groups southward toward the Atlantic Ocean. The Dei, Bassa, Kru, Gola and Kissi were some of the earliest documented peoples in the area.[15]

This influx of these groups was compounded by the decline of the Western Sudanic Mali Empire in 1375 and the Songhai Empire in 1591. Liberia was a part of the Kingdom of Koya from 1450 to 1898. As inland regions underwent desertification, inhabitants moved to the wetter coast. These new inhabitants brought skills such as cotton spinning, cloth weaving, iron smelting, rice and sorghum cultivation, and social and political institutions from the Mali and Songhai empires.[15] Shortly after the Mane conquered the region, the Vai people of the former Mali Empire immigrated into the Grand Cape Mount County region. The ethnic Kru opposed the influx of Vai, forming an alliance with the Mane to stop further influx of Vai.[16]

People along the coast built canoes and traded with other West Africans from Cap-Vert to the Gold Coast. Arab traders entered the region from the north, and a long-established slave trade took captives to north and east Africa.
Liberia - Wikipedia
Have you tried the one for Black folks. That one is suppose to be more specific.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
When I went to Montego Bay, so many had Igbo names even to this day. It was unique. They knew directly where they had a grandmother from Igboland. I believe them because a crook was trying to kidnap my wife's grandfather in the early 1900s. So it's not far removed. He just died a couple of years ago. He remembered it very well.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
African Ancestry is owned by African Americans. As for being inaccurate how can DNA that is used to identify people that committed crimes and to identify maternity and paternity in child support and adoption matters; be inaccurate?

So the tests themselves are not inaccurate. The inaccuracies likely goes back to the reference populations from which the samples are taken and the true ethnic backgrounds of the people tested; and I question how the regions are labeled. People should just take the time to learn what is actually being tested; the number of reference samples that each uses and populations that they focus on. Of course the more samples a company has the more accurate they will be. African Ancestry has the most African samples (they have over 33,000 African samples), but people need to understand that they are only testing the specific direct line of your mother and father. The importance of that is that is for people that want to know the ethnic group/tribes that their mother and family came from, however that may only be about 2%-5% of your actual DNA.

AncestryDNA; 23andme; National Geographic Genonome, etc., are doing autosomonal testing; which means that they are looking at all of a person's DNA. They all have fewer samples, which means that there may be ethnic groups in regions that they don't have samples for. So if you don't match a sample that they have; then they will likely assign you to a group that your DNA looks the most like. Those companies are constantly updating their database as they get more samples from different regions. So of course they are not as accurate as African Ancestry nor do they pretend to be.
My issue with you is you refuse to look at the data beyond the numbers. The state of Louisiana and many others mentioned that when women were being brought over, not everyone could procreate while some tribes of women could a lot more. Your data points on Senegalese always fall short because their women were the main ones having issues with procreation via the writings of the evil/captures.

You seem to leave out that major point when it comes to the data.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
When I went to Montego Bay, so many had Igbo names even to this day. It was unique. They knew directly where they had a grandmother from Igboland. I believe them because a crook was trying to kidnap my wife's grandfather in the early 1900s. So it's not far removed. He just died a couple of years ago. He remembered it very well.
that's a crazy story dang. Defintely a lot of Nigerian and Ghanaian ancestry in Jamaica.

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi
My parents are Nigerian (Igbo), got my Ancestry results, 99% Nigerian :mjlol:. But it's been interesting seeing my 4th-8th cousins on Ancestry, the vast majority ADOS. I've reconnected with one already on Facebook.:ehh:

@xoxodede

The interesting thing, I think in order to be able to pinpoint more specifically on where someone who is ADOS lineage lies down to the village, it is pertinent that Africans participate. I always wondered why its more heavily promoted to Americans. If Africans participated you will come to find a long lost relative in the diaspora.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I looked at that shyt a couple days ago and it said Ethiopia/horn of Africa:mjlol: I only recommend them for their dna communities at this point.

Right! I love their Thrulines and Communities -- but the DNA estimates changing every few months is a pure mess.

I won't even comment on my Momma's new results. :mjlol:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Ancestry just updated again. I don't know what to believe. It's a joke to me at this point.

xp9cKrf.png
another update? alright let me check. I feel similarly about this service as you and instead have been trying to trace family oral history/records.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ancestry just updated again. I don't know what to believe. It's a joke to me at this point.

xp9cKrf.png

Exactly.

I have been saying it for a long while now; Ancestry.com and 23andme do not have nearly enough samples for anyone to be relying on their estimates for West Africa. Both companies clearly do not have nearly enough samples from West African populations, especially in places like Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Ivory Coast or Guinea Conakry. If they were to actually get more samples from those areas then most African American ancestry results should shift dramatically more to the West, which would be in line with the historical records of the wars and raids that occurred in places like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Northern Ghana, Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso which resulted in so many people ending up in slavery in British North America.

Ancestry DNA probably does not even have 2,000 samples for all of West Africa; which is still 1,100 more samples than 23andme admits to having for West Africa. The absurdity is that West Africa has almost 400 million people, but AncestryDNA and 23andme actually want people to believe that they can accurately capture West African Ancestry with less than 2,000 samples which is why both companies keep having these bullshyt dramatic updates of DNA. Clearly both companies are using Nigeria as the defacto region, but historical records do not support the notion that Nigeria was the major area for African Americans. Those companies even have ridiculous results for Benin and Togo, which which are teeny tiny countries with few people. Completely absurd.

Your results look like something that would be expected for someone from the Caribbean or South America, because those are the areas that had the major influx of Nigerian and Central Africans. An African American test result should in theory be heavily weighted towards Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Guinea and Liberia, with lesser results for Congo, Nigeria and Angola.

I would highly recommend African Ancestry though, because even if they don't get your exact tribe correct I am confident that they will at least put people in the correct ethnic group. I don't know if I am actually paternally Bissa as African Ancestry states, but I am confident that my paternal ancestry is definitely from one of the Mande tribes in either Mali or Burkina Faso.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Exactly.

I have been saying it for a long while now; Ancestry.com and 23andme do not have nearly enough samples for anyone to be relying on their estimates for West Africa. Both companies clearly do not have nearly enough samples from West African populations, especially in places like Burkina Faso, Mali, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Ivory Coast or Guinea Conakry. If they were to actually get more samples from those areas then most African American ancestry results should shift dramatically more to the West, which would be in line with the historical records of the wars and raids that occurred in places like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Northern Ghana, Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso which resulted in so many people ending up in slavery in British North America.

Ancestry DNA probably does not even have 2,000 samples for all of West Africa; which is still 1,100 more samples than 23andme admits to having for West Africa. The absurdity is that West Africa has almost 400 million people, but AncestryDNA and 23andme actually want people to believe that they can accurately capture West African Ancestry with less than 2,000 samples which is why both companies keep having these bullshyt dramatic updates of DNA. Clearly both companies are using Nigeria as the defacto region, but historical records do not support the notion that Nigeria was the major area for African Americans. Those companies even have ridiculous results for Benin and Togo, which which are teeny tiny countries with few people. Completely absurd.

Your results look like something that would be expected for someone from the Caribbean or South America, because those are the areas that had the major influx of Nigerian and Central Africans. An African American test result should in theory be heavily weighted towards Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Guinea and Liberia, with lesser results for Congo, Nigeria and Angola.

I would highly recommend African Ancestry though, because even if they don't get your exact tribe correct I am confident that they will at least put people in the correct ethnic group. I don't know if I am actually paternally Bissa as African Ancestry states, but I am confident that my paternal ancestry is definitely from one of the Mande tribes in either Mali or Burkina Faso.
You're correct.

Tracing African Roots does great break downs. Benin/Togo can also be proxies for Nigerian or Ghanaian ancestry for example. Ghana can be a proxy for Liberian or Burkinabe ancestry as well.

i also wouldn't downplay Nigerian ancestry in African Americans (or any Afro-diasporic group really), Nigerian groups such as the Igbo, with documented histories of those groups being prominent in different parts of the South (particularly Virginia).

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're correct.

Tracing African Roots does great break downs. Benin/Togo can also be proxies for Nigerian or Ghanaian ancestry for example. Ghana can be a proxy for Liberian or Burkinabe ancestry as well.

i also wouldn't downplay Nigerian ancestry in African Americans (or any Afro-diasporic group really), Nigerian groups such as the Igbo, with documented histories of those groups being prominent in different parts of the South (particularly Virginia).

I think the Nigerian DNA is grossly overstated in African Americans by these DNA companies and at this point those companies are basically engaging in confirmation bias, which is based upon them only going to Nigeria or Ghana to get samples and squeezing all of their customers into one of those two groups. Literally 559 of 23andme 717 samples from West Africa come from Ghana and Nigeria. I am not joking. It is right on their website:

West African

Nigerian
Nigerian, Yoruba, Esan
Ghanaian, Liberian & Sierra Leonean
Ivorian, Ghanaian, Liberian, Mende, Temne, Limba, Sierra Leonean

The other 158 samples covers a huge region from Senegal, Gambia and Guinea.
Senegambian & Guinean

Gambian, Guinean, Bissau-Guinean, Mandenka, Senegalese

There is nothing for Mali or Burkina Faso. So basically 23andme is using 717 samples as proxy for 400 million people in West Africa. Meanwhile they have over 1,000 samples for England by itself. :comeon:

As bad as 23andme is; Ancestry.com is just a flat out joke at this point. I don't even know where they are getting their samples from, but their data is worse now then it was 10 years ago.

You should know that it is confirmation bias, because as I stated we don't even see any samples for places like Burkina Faso which was a major area that contributed slaves to the USA due to the annual tribute payments in slaves that the Dagomba people (and their relatives the Mamprussi and Mossi) had to pay to the Ashanti. There were also other groups there like the Hausa and various tribes from Niger and Ivory Coast that raided villages in Northern Ghana and Burkina Faso for people. That is why the modern governments of Ghana knows where many African Americans are from because they know who captured their ancestors and who sold them and they know who they sold those people to (the British).

I am inclined to believe that what these researchers are attributing as Nigerian DNA is likely from neighboring regions to the North and West (like Burkina Faso and Mali). The researchers are clearly just lumping them all together and calling it Nigeria, even though the people to the North and West were largely Fulani, Mande and Ga people that lived in and around Mali. If you a notice that in all of these updates as they get more samples from places like Togo and Benin; the Nigerian DNA is lessening in people and the Togo and Benin results are growing which shows that they are slowly getting more samples from the Northern and western regions. I am positive that if more samples are gotten from regions like Burkina Faso, Northern Ghana, Northern Ivory Coast, Mali and then areas along the rice coast; that we are going to see an even more dramatic shift for African Americans towards the West, especially if the samples come from Mande and Fulani groups in those regions.

On a side note if you look at charts of where people were brought from then you would see that Nigeria was not a major area for the USA, because initially America was growing specialized crops like rice. That meant that America would have to take slaves from specialized groups along the Rice Coast, which is that area a between Senegal to Liberia and over into neighboring Ivory Coast. Oddly enough that is exactly where slaving records stated that most of the slaves originated from specifically places like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Gambia, Guinea and Senegal. Congo was another area that they took quite a few slaves from, because they were mixing people in the USA to lessen the likelihood of slave revolts. In any event most African Americans ancestors came to the USA between 1720-1780. So the groups were already in place and historical records were very clear on that. To make things even clearer. The USA likely received only 4 percent of all slaves. So very few people actually came to the USA and then they basically stopped importing people from Africa in early 1800. Culturally it is pretty clear where African Americans are predominantly from, because they exhibit a blues based musical tradition and their Christian churches have very strong underlying Islamic influences which is what you would expect from people that lived along the Rice Coast in modern day Burkina Faso and Northern Ghana.

Some Nigerians did come to the USA, but not in nearly the numbers that people keep overstating. Most Nigerians were taken to the Caribbean and South America, which is shown by their cultural impact in places like Cuba. What we now call Nigeria did not enter wholesale slaving until after the mid to late 1700s mostly through the Oyo people, Aro Confederacy and the Islamic leader Usman Dan Fodio. Due to unreported slave revolts like the Stono Rebellion in South Carolina, the USA had by and large stop taking slaves directly from Africa when the Nigerians were just kicking into full drive. So Nigerian DNA results look to be grossly overstated in African American by 23andme and Ancestry.com. I have slowly come to the realization that African Ancestry results are probably the most accurate, simply because they have more samples. Like I stated I don't know if they can pinpoint a specific tribe within an ethnic group, but I think that they identify the correct overall ethnic group.

Last edited: