Amy Hennig - The Industry's Problem w/ Players Never Finishing Games

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Odyssey is the best example for this..great game which felt like a chore because the map was way too big and you had to do 3 activities 100 times. Either these games need to make it unique or make the game shorter.

I started playing Odyssey a few weeks ago and binged for a while. Had a great time. Then after about maybe 65% of the main story, I just kind of got indifferent and fell off :ld:. I think I just got burnt out on the core gameplay loop and while the story is decent, its not exactly driving me to finish the game. I definitely had fun with it and would recommend, but there's a pretty good chance I don't finish it if I'm keeping it real:yeshrug:

I started playing Spiderman right after which is kind of hitting the nail on the head for me at the moment. Great story and open world, but it doesn't feel too overwhelming in terms of things to do and it's really easy to level up just playing through the game at a steady pace. I have the GotY edition so I might just beat the main story, play something else and save the DLC as something to come back to.

There is something to be said though about absolutely loving a game and having an abundance of content to play. I've played games like Fallout 4, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Witcher 3: Complete Edition almost exclusively for months at a time and enjoyed every bit of it:banderas:

I been trying to take advantage of this quarantine and game my ass off because I know I'm not gonna have time like this once everything goes back to normal. It's hard to balance life in general, let alone deciding whether to keep your skills sharp for your competitive games or grinding out some huge 100+ hour game:skip:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
lmao you call that gameplay, seriously, she look like the cast the toad spell on her, and once you have all the equipment the game is way too easy, mix that in with the empty open world, worthless sidequest, and non interesting story, what do you have, a extremely mediocre game
This is a weird take.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Everybody tries to make a 50hour AAA blockbuster and they lace it with filler. I finished Ion Fury with a 20 hour first playthrough on nothing but good level design.

Nintendo was right in that the tech isn't the primary driver.

No, but it graciously helps tho when done right and impedes when slacked on. Which funny enough, ninty's on both spectrums of that with their tech.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
most of the games this gen felt soulless. The ps4 and Xbox one were both pretty weak looking back. Hopefully the new tech brings on innovation and a push away from the greedy monitization

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Everybody tries to make a 50hour AAA blockbuster and they lace it with filler. I finished Ion Fury with a 20 hour first playthrough on nothing but good level design.

Nintendo was right in that the tech isn't the primary driver.

Cause people have an expectation of how long a game should be. 50+ hours with a bunch of extensive sidequests or the game is a C. I've played 10 - 30 hour games that were much better than some of these lengthy of AAA titles. Games from the past (Skyrim,Witcher 3, ie) have created a weird expectation for what a modern game should be.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
most of the games this gen felt soulless. The ps4 and Xbox one were both pretty weak looking back. Hopefully the new tech brings on innovation and a push away from the greedy monitization

and of course and Xbot daps this....because they ain't had shyt all gen. :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
The thing is imo of course, it's not a problem of something being "cinematic", there's just the fact that there are:
  1. LOTS of other games out vying for our attention(every other week a big game drops for certain platforms)
  2. Other things people do outside of gaming(work, school, relationships, hobbies etc.)
  3. Filler in games that are there for purposes of padding the whole world thereby players getting bored halfway
  4. etc.(legitmately boring games)

When you say these "cinematic" games players aren't finishing, it's often in a thread about a specific PS4 exclusive implying that players are ONLY not finishing these games and that every other game outside of the cinematic games label are being finished in due time so cinematic games are inherently flawed/badly designed because gamers don't like that...

What is a cinematic game? A game with good cutscenes? RDR 2 has cinematics as does Gears 5, Quantam Break or Halo 5. Just because a game blends gameplay/cinematics effortlessly and looks so good doesn't mean it's somehow losing players. That's a myopic way of seeing things imo. Plus the video doesn't even mention "cinematic" games"

It basically presupposes that people are finishing your Assassin's Creeds, your Red Dead Redemptions, your Resident Evils, your Destiny 2s, Witcher 3 and other big AAA games because they're not quote unquote cinematic. That's somewhat untrue and there is data to back this up.

God of War for example, had over 50% of gamers finish it and it was a lengthy game. 50% of players finished Spider-Man(PS4). 34% of players finished Persona 5(A 100 hour JRPG).
More Than 50% of People Who Own God of War Have Completed the Game's Story

RDR2 and Assassin's Creed data reveals how few people complete games - GameRevolution

The biggest one is Detroit:Become Human which is what I'd call quite literally a CINEMATIC game had the BIGGEST completion rate(61%).

Contrary to that, Crash Bandicoot N sane Trilogy(A simple platformer) which is not a cinematic game shows only 12% completion. RDR2 only 22%. The takeaway from this is that people have too much games/things to compete with for their time and therefore it's only natural some games don't get finished by a lot of players. Does this mean they will never get finished? Do players not have backlogs? The main thing I'd disagree with from what I'm inferring from your posts(just from this post and past ones) is that somehow devs need to scrap/lessen single player "cinematic" experiences to cater towards multiplayer because that's something you may hang onto way longer. Or that cinematic games are a waste of dev time because players aren't finishing them. An argument can be made that players aren't reaching an arbitrary level in MP games and therefore don't even get to really see/experience weapons/skills as they only played for a few hours.

I don't think that's a smart option either as there's loads of games with MP that gets DROPPED heavy. Gears 5 active numbers DROPPED substantially compared to other shooters. Halo MCC numbers on Steam cratered after a week. At the end of the day, should devs not make a beautifully crafted experience because they can't get every single purchase to finish it? Does every book published gets read in full by each buyer?
That's just how things are going to be when it's consumable media for someone at the comfort of their home.

Plenty of shooters/MP games have big drops after a couple of weeks and someone could easily write up an article/make a video about how players don't stick to MP games and therefore what can be done about it. I don't agree with Amy Henning's proposal to make 6~8 hour games because it may be better for some players. It may be better for someone but it will be worse for another. Game too short? "wtf $60 for this!? Pass!" Game too long? "smh this game is padded to death" (looking at AC games).

I think if anything the big AAA open world games are the ones that are mostly not finished by gamers, not the God of Wars or TLOUs as you seem to want to imply(again from what I've seen you say on this before.)

I never finished GTA V, Witcher 3, most JRPGS I've started, a few short games like Wolfenstein all for different reasons. I did finish God of War, FFVIIR, Spider-Man, TLOU, UC4/UC LL, Persona 5, Detroit and a few others. I didn't finish Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank(got to the very end) and Horizon Zero Dawn. The three least cinematic games. Didn't finish Forza Horizon 4 either.

That's my thoughts.
nikka did u just write an essay on the coli?

:dahell: