America's Reverse Migration- Black Americans leaving West Coast for the South

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
@Thomas @KidStranglehold @Barnett @Poitier @CashmereEsquire @bdizzle @Raymond Burrr @AVXL

How do you all think we can make sure the south can become a black mecca for our grand children's grandchildren & beyond? What are some of the key steps we need to make (especially 80's & 90's babies) to not fall for the same mistakes our parents & grandparents made? What industries do you feel we need to steer our children towards to build our power?

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@Thomas @KidStranglehold @Barnett @Poitier @CashmereEsquire

How do you all think we can make sure the south can become a black mecca for our grand children's grandchildren & beyond? What are some of the key steps we need to make (especially 80's & 90's babies) to not fall for the same mistakes our parents & grandparents made?

First we need to change the political setting of the south. At least make some of the states "purple states." Blacks in my opinion will still not reach our full potential if the states we live in are still controlled by conservative right wing whites who want to milk all the resources for themselves. This is one of the main problems I keep hearing about Atlanta. Yes, while Atlanta is a "black mecca", I keep hearing from people from there in real life and on here that the mayor of Atlanta can't get certain stuff passed for the city due to the conservative government of Georgia basically blockading any progressive plans for Atlanta that would greatly benefit blacks.

So in my opinion if blacks do move to the south in large numbers, we need to at least first change the political landscape in our favor and get stuff passed that would benefit us. This COULD happen naturally.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
First we need to change the political setting of the south. At least make some of the states "purple states." Blacks in my opinion will still not reach our full potential if the states we live in are still controlled by conservative right wing whites who want to milk all the resources for themselves. This is one of the main problems I keep hearing about Atlanta. Yes, while Atlanta is a "black mecca", I keep hearing from people from there in real life and on here that the mayor of Atlanta can't get certain stuff passed for the city due to the conservative government of Georgia basically blockading any progressive plans for Atlanta that would greatly benefit blacks.

So in my opinion if blacks do move to the south in large numbers, we need to at least first change the political landscape in our favor and get stuff passed that would benefit us. This COULD happen naturally.

:jbhmm:
I see this in Jackson also. Mayor Chokwe Lumumba (RIP the Gawd, he was a righteous man) had set a solid plan to increase the tax 1 penny to build up the infrastructure. He passed before he could completely set it in motion and the city elected a certified c00n who is known for being sheisty as hell.

This nikka can't seem to follow through with the blueprint already laid out for him, yet you can always see him eating lobster and steak in the nicest restaurants
:martin:
The fukked up part about it is Chokwe's son was running for the same position but the older black folks didn't vote for him because he's "too radical" and they voted for Yarber because he's "known in the church"
:francis:
And you already know the under 35 crowd barely showed up to vote... Now we have more potholes than ever and the governor Phil Bryant who's house is in the heart of the city feels bold enough to make a confederate history month with no consequences.
:snoop::mindblown::mjcry:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@Thomas @KidStranglehold @Barnett @Poitier @CashmereEsquire @bdizzle @Raymond Burrr @AVXL

How do you all think we can make sure the south can become a black mecca for our grand children's grandchildren & beyond? What are some of the key steps we need to make (especially 80's & 90's babies) to not fall for the same mistakes our parents & grandparents made? What industries do you feel we need to steer our children towards to build our power?

1. You're never going to "Save all the Blacks" so emphasis should not be on even concentrating EVERYONE to one region, You just need "enough" people who are actually worth a damn in "hubs". While having a "black neighborhood" is ideal so you can have neighbors who look like you, and y'all watch each others back, you dont really need a city full of blacks per say.

2. Blacks that are worth a damn need to Consolidate existing institutions. For Example We have 100+ HBCUS when we really only need like 5-8. Have Blacks ONLY support these schools so they can actually compete globally instead of spreading ourselves thin trying to save every school especially under performing ones. These Universities should serve as pipelines to create the talent pools for Black Hospitals,Law Firms,Politicians, IT companies etc.

I have a lot of other thoughts, but this isn't really the place for it and I dont feel like typing all that stuff.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
I'm not leaving the West coast for the south point blank. You don't have to live within 20 minutes of the beach folks...

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
My fathers side was part of the great migration to NYC by way of Mississippi and Louisiana. The way it's trending, we'd probably move back. I'm the only one in the family living up north, the cost of living is too much and it's highly segregated up here as well.

I never knew you lived in NY...

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
My fathers side was part of the great migration to NYC by way of Mississippi and Louisiana. The way it's trending, we'd probably move back. I'm the only one in the family living up north, the cost of living is too much and it's highly segregated up here as well.

The North is significantly more segregated in reality.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I never knew you lived in NY...
I was born/raised there but I don't live there now. I'm in Boston cause I never left after graduate school, dated my husband on/off until we got married. I don't think it's a good place for kids besides opportunities post secondary.

Especially Boston, now they're gentrifying though.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Blacks in the North and West are like Black kids who go to PWIs because they want "Diversity", get to school see what time it is and spend their time only with Black students and join the Black Student Association :lolbron:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Blacks in the North and West are like Black kids who go to PWIs because they want "Diversity", get to school see what time it is and spend their time only with Black students and join the Black Student Association :lolbron:
I don't know any black kids who choose a college for the reason of "diversity"

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:what:

You have to go where you can find work and affordable housing

No disrespect, if you were AA you would understand this, our families left the South for that reason

We're now returning to the south because it's cheap and there's better job opportunities

Most blacks never left the south by the way too

:what:

There's a lot of Africans in the south

Especially places like Houston where's there plenty of Nigerians

Atlanta has a lot of Nigerians too. I threw the East coast to the bushes and moved down south and it was the best decision I ever made. Big house with land and low real estate prices :noah: