invalid

Banned
Daps
Was reading a book recommended by @xoxodede, and ran into this passage. Immediately thought of this thread and post.
The numbers industry in Harlem.

"You did give me a couple of books to read. And helped me build the brothers. But I was your ticket out of a boring life......when your rich doctor daddy was making house calls at Harlem General.What's up with that? "

ninofatherinlaw.gif

just jokes
The "Boule" was getting it in.

Chapter was about Madame St. Clair, but it covered all the different communities that were involved in games of chance.

Timestamped.

Although very short discussion regarding numbers men and how they helped fund black politicians and the Civil Rights movement starts at 37:37.

The woman speaking is the sister of Denise Jefferson. Denise along with Judith Jamison became the directors of the Alvin Ailey School after Ailey’s death. I’ve talked about Margo in this thread already.

invalid

Banned
Daps
The definitive narrative of two of Harlem’s most noted addresses

I have to see where he lived.

My cousin, Dr. Binga Dismond, stayed at 245 west 139th street which was in Harlem’s Strivers Row section.

I wonder which Harlem neighborhood had the most black celebrities, Sugar Hill or Strivers Row?

Probably Sugar Hill. Whole movie named after it.

“This is the flavor that they savor up here naybor.” - Eddie Kang :mjlol:

Also the origin of the infamous “akata” to American audiences.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Thanks for the drop. I just saw this the other day.

I met her great great granddaughter A’Lelia at the Harlem Book Fair when she was promoting her book a few years back when I was living in New York. She struck me as being extremely humble but very intelligent. If I recall, she graduated at the top of her class at Radcliffe (now subsumed under Harvard).

alelia-bundles_photo-by-michael-cunningham_305px.jpg

I think now, by default, people recognize her as being part of this group (since that money and education is a couple of generations old now) but she makes it clear Madame C.J. Walker was viewed as being an “arriviste” among this group at the time. And I’m not sure if she participates in the Links or any other orgs but she is certainly respected.
Interview she did last year with Julianne Malveaux

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I’m not familiar with Aisha Tyler.
Was John Hancock the John Hancock that signed the Declaration of Independence?
The only one I know of this family is Charles Drew. And his daughters, Charlene Drew Jarvis and Bebe Drew Price are also very accomplished.

no....here he is below

640px-John_Hancock_Texas_politician_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

John Hancock (Texas politician) | Wikiwand

Legacy
On the eighth season of Who Do You Think You Are?, actress and comedian Aisha Tyler learned that Congressman John Hancock was her great-great-great-grandfather. Hancock fathered a child with one of his slaves producing a son, Hugh Hancock, through whom Tyler is descended. Hugh Hancock would become a prominent leader of the Austin African-American community. Active in the local Republican Party, Hugh ran a bar called the Black Elephant.

invalid

Banned
Daps
no....here he is below

Thanks.

It’s because of men like Hancock that we really need to challenge white people or anyone else who would like for us to not be so critical of ante-bellum or confederate whites because “slavery was just part of society” as if white people were just innocent bystanders.

There has always been white people - Quakers, Abolitionist, and men like Hancock that have opposed chattel slavery or a Confederacy and we need bring these people to the forefront and say “hey, these people used their conscious instead of allowing society to dictate what to think”. So why would we allow these other folks to get off scott free?

Civil War
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Hancock strongly believed that Texas should remain part of the Union. In 1860 he was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Unionist. After the secession of Texas in March 1861, he refused to take the oath of allegiance to the Confederate States of America and was expelled from the legislature. During the Civil War he practiced law in the state courts but refused to conduct business or recognize the authority in the Confederate courts. He refused to take part in military service during the war, and in 1864 he fled to Mexico to escape conscription for the Confederacy. After the end of the war he returned to Texas and took part in the restoration of order, including serving as a delegate to the state constitutional convention in 1866.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Gordon Davis

davis_gordon.jpg

Born in Chicago
Education: The Francis Parker School, Williams College, Columbia University, Harvard Law School
Founder of Gargoyle at Williams College and Harvard Law Schools's Black Law Students Association (BLSA) one of the first in the country.

Davis was a prominent leader in New York City's public, civic, and legal affairs for four decades. Davis was one of the first African Americans to become a partner in a major New York corporate law firm (Lord Day & Lord, 1983). He was Mayor Ed Koch's first New York City Parks Commissioner and is considered one of New York’s most successful parks commissioners. Since 2012, Davis has been a partner in the New York office of the law firm Venable LLP

Allison Stubbs Davis

AllisonDavis.JPG

Education: Cushing Academy, University of Chicago Laboratory School, Grinnell College, Northwestern University

After graduating from law school, Davis moved to Mali, where he worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development coordinating smallpox eradication efforts and vocational training for three years. After returning to Chicago in 1967, Davis accepted a legal position at the Metropolitan Housing and Planning Council. In 1969, Davis helped co-found the Chicago Council of Lawyers, a group focused on electing judges based on a merit system. In 1971, Davis co-founded Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland law firm in Chicago, focused on civil rights litigation. The firm hired Carol Moseley Braun, who went on to become the first African American female U.S. Senator and Barack Obama as a recent graduate of Harvard Law School.

Gordon and Allison Davis' parents are William Boyd Allison and Elizabeth Stubbs Davis

I remember seeing a interview with him on blackfilm.com (he was consulted on the movie: The Human Stain )

007.jpg

How about yourself? Did you let yourself pass in some situations because people didn’t know the difference?

AD: I’m trying to think if I were ever in a life threatening situation. My mother, who was fair-skinned, told me that when I went away to prep school and college to take photographs of my family, which is what I always did. People say things and depending on the context, take issue before I tell them who I am. I joined a country club that was all-white and I made sure that everyone knew who I was so that when they made their decision there was no confusion

When folks leave the theater after seeing "The Human Stain", what do you want them to walk away with?

AD: I have a different view than perhaps half or two-thirds of the people who will see the film, but the movie is about having confidence in your own self and the character Coleman Silk is a great classics scholar and he should have been comfortable in that achievement, in that persona. For some reason, he was insecure about that being sufficient carrying the day, so he made some choices. Rejecting your family is a pretty elementary choice and it’s a terrible thing so there are a lot of similarities in that film to my own family. My father (William Allison Davis) was a professor, a distinguished one, and was the first African American tenured professor at a major white university (University of Chicago) in this country so he went through the same debate. He wanted to teach English at Williams but they wouldn’t hire him. His first teaching job was at Hampton and then at Dillard. He made different choices and he had a different appearance then. No one would mistake him for being white if the option weren’t open but both of his siblings were very faired and both were academics and achievers on their own.

October 2003 | blackfilm.com | features | interviews | THE HUMAN STAIN An Interview with Allison Davis

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I'm mean, I don't think the Trumps would have started -

The United Negro College Fund
The National Association of the Advancement of Colored People
The Urban League
The National Association of Colored Women
The National Afro-American Council
The Congressional Black Caucus
Black Masonic Organizations
Black Greek Letter Organziations
Black Professional Associations (NABJ, NABA, NBA, NMA, NBMBA, NBSE)
Countless Abolition/Anti-Slavery Societies
Countless Burial Societies

I'm mean, negroes are hard to please. You won't find any other racial group where their elites have been this dedicated to the upliftment of their own people.

You can't say there hasn't been effort.

slide16-l.jpg

the-black-church-tah-grant-summer-2012-5-728.jpg

a few of his direct descendants + connected, extended family

j5CvugT.jpg

0l7Ysrd.jpg

Julian Francis Abele

Meet the Black Architect Who Designed Duke University 37 Years Before He Could Have Attended It

resolver_20_5_.0.jpeg

Drawing of Duke University campus courtesy of UPenn

In 1902, when Julian F. Abele graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in architecture, he was the school's first-ever black graduate. The debonair Philadelphia-born architect went on to design hundreds of elegant public institutions, Gilded Age mansions, and huge swathes of a prestigious then-whites-only university's campus. Yet the fact that an African-American architect worked on so many significant Beaux Arts-inspired buildings along the East Coast was virtually unknown until a political protest at Duke, the very university whose gracious campus he largely designed, was held in 1986.

Abele's contributions were not exactly hidden—during that era it was not customary to sign one's own designs— but neither were they publicized. When he died in 1950, after more than four decades as the chief designer at the prolific Philadelphia-based firm of Horace Trumbauer, very few people outside of local architectural circles were familiar with his name or his work. In 1942, when the long-practicing architect finally gained entry to the American Institute of Architects, the director of Philadelphia's Museum of Art, a building which Abele helped conceive in a classical Greek style, called him "one of the most sensitive designers anywhere in America."

The protests at Duke that ended up reviving his reputation had nothing to do with Abele's undeserved obscurity; they were protests against the racist regime in apartheid South Africa. Duke students were infuriated by the school's investments in the country, and built shanties in front of the university's winsome stone chapel, which was modeled after England's Canterbury Cathedral. One student (perhaps majoring in missing the point) wrote an editorial for the college paper complaining about the shacks, which she said violated "our rights as students to a beautiful campus."

Unbeknownst to even the university's administrators, Julian F. Abele's great-grandniece was a sophomore at the college in Durham, North Carolina. Knowing full well that her relative had designed the institution's neo-Gothic west campus and unified its Georgian east campus, Susan Cook wrote into the student newspaper contending that Abele would have supported the divestment rally in front of his beautiful chapel. Her great grand-uncle, who in addition to the chapel designed Duke's library, football stadium, gym, medical school, religion school, hospital, and faculty houses, "was a victim of apartheid in this country" yet the university itself was an example "of what a black man can create given the opportunity," she wrote. Cook asserted that Abele had created their splendid campus, but had never set foot on it due to the Jim Crow laws of the segregated South.

resolver_20_3_.0.jpeg

This was the first time that Abele's role in designing Duke, a whites-only university until 1961, had been acknowledged so publicly. Many school administrators were hearing about him for the very first time. Cook's claim that Abele had never even seen his masterwork up close was devastating. (Accounts differ, however. In 1989, Abele's closest friend from UPenn, the Hungarian Jewish architect Louis Magaziner, recalled being told by Abele that a Durham hotel had refused him a room when he was visiting the university. A prominent local businessman also remembered Abele coming to town).

Either way, the fact that by the 1980s most people had never even heard of the history-making architect, who designed an estimated 250 buildings while working at the well-known Trumbauer firm, including Harvard University's Widener Memorial library and Philadelphia's Free Library, was even more shocking. Cook's letter led to something of a reckoning. Today, there's a portrait of Abele hanging up at Duke, and the university is currently celebrating the 75th anniversary of the basketball arena he designed, the Cameron Indoor Stadium, which opened this week in 1940.

Raised in Philadelphia as the youngest of eight children of an accomplished family, Abele had excelled in school since early childhood, once winning $15 for his mathematical prowess. But Abele's years at UPenn—first as an undergraduate and then as the school's first black architecture student—took place in a climate that, while not as restrictive as the Jim Crow South, was still very racist. In addition to segregated seating in theaters and on transport, most campus gathering spots and sports teams were closed to African-Americans, and the dining hall and nearby restaurants refused to serve them.

resolver_20_4_.0.jpeg

It was an isolating atmosphere, and friendships could be hard to come by. "You spoke perfect English but no one spoke to you," wrote a woman of color who graduated from UPenn nearly two decades after Abele did. Yet, during his senior year at the university, Abele was elected president of the school's Architectural Society, and he also won student awards for his designs for a post office and a botany museum. His professors evidently thought highly of him: five years after Abele graduated, the head of the school's architecture program tried to lure him away from his firm for a job in California.

Abele's employer at that time, Horace Trumbauer, refused to let him go. He had become invaluable. Trumbauer had hired Abele in 1906 to be the assistant to the Philadelphia firm's chief designer, Frank Seeburger. When Seeburger departed in 1909, Abele ascended to his position. The young architect worked well with Trumbauer, who was self-conscious about his own lack of formal education—he learned the craft of architecture through apprenticeships and avid reading—and who built his firm by hiring very competent underlings.
Abele, a serious man who dressed in impeccable suits, spoke French fluently, and reveled in classical music, was exactly the technically gifted architect, proficient in Beaux Arts building styles, that Trumbauer needed for his team. "I, of course, would not want to lose Mr. Abele," Trumbauer brusquely replied when he was asked, in 1907, to release Abele from his contract. Many accounts describe the firm's artistic vision as Abele's, although dealing with clients and bringing in commissions fell to Trumbauer.

One such client was James Buchanan Duke, the tobacco millionaire who commissioned the Trumbauer firm to design vast residences in New York City and in Somerville, New Jersey for his family (and their 14 servants). The white-marble mansion in Manhattan was modeled on a 17th-century French château, and when it was completed in 1912, the New York Times declared it the "costliest home" on Fifth Avenue. By 1924, the Trumbauer firm was hired to transform and expand an existing college in Durham, North Carolina into a well-endowed university named after its patron.

Abele would spend the next two decades creating a magisterial campus for a university that he was not even allowed to attend. All his creations were done under the name of the firm. "The lines are all Mr. Trumbauer's," Abele once said. "But the shadows are all mine." But after his boss died of cirrhosis in 1938, the talented architect signed his name to one of his own designs for the very first time. It was for Duke's chapel, the same structure that played a part in reviving his reputation 48 years later.

Meet the Black Architect Who Designed Duke University 37 Years Before He Could Have Attended It

rHukMYl.jpg

Robert Jones “Bun” Abele

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
cont....

naoSkd3.jpg

---He was also the grandnephew of Julian F. Abele of Philadelphia, who designed Duke University, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Widener Library at Harvard, and other classic buildings.

Cook’s great great grandfather was John Francis Cook, a freed slave who along with other leaders founded the Columbian Harmony Cemetery, the 15th Street Presbyterian Church, and a school for freed slaves.---

Obituary: Julian Abele Cook Jr. > Macomb Legal News

8PX1dBa.jpg

--John F. Cook II, his great grandfather, became recorder of deeds in Washington, D.C. His great uncle, George F. T. Cook, became the first superintendent of colored D.C. public schools.--

John Francis Cook Jr. (September 1833 – January 20, 1910) was a prominent educator, politician, tax collector, businessman, community organizer, civil rights activist, and member of the African-American, Washingtonian elite of the late 19th century. Born into an established, middle-class family in Washington D.C., Cook was believed to be D.C.'s richest black resident in 1895 with a net worth of over two hundred thousand dollars.[1] As a civilian and in government, Cook championed civil rights causes aimed at uplifting D.C.'s black community, mainly through education, community engagement, and political activism. Cook was also a staunch opponent of Jim Crow laws, the Colonization movement, and other causes designed to put African Americans at the fringes of American life.

Legacy
John F. Cook Jr. dedicated his life to the advancement of the black community in Washington D.C. As an educator, politician, activist, and philanthropist, Cook promoted political and cultural causes, tasked with uplifting D.C.'s African American community, in addition to fighting racist and discriminatory policies and practices. And as a member of Washingtonian's black elite, Cook demonstrated living proof that a black man in 19th century United States could infiltrate the three main spheres of influence in American life: the political, the social, and the economic.[19]

Y6AaOTD.jpg

vsDge2J.jpg

E6rQQnu.jpg

Helen Appo Cook (July 21, 1837 – November 20, 1913) was a wealthy, prominent African-American community activist in Washington, D.C. and a leader in the women's club movement. Cook was a founder and president of the Colored Women's League, which consolidated with another organization in 1896 to become the National Association of Colored Women (NACW), an organization still active in the 21st century.[1] Cook supported voting rights and was a member of the Niagara Movement, which opposed racial segregation and African American disenfranchisement.[2] In 1898, Cook publicly rebuked Susan B. Anthony, president of the National Woman's Suffrage Association, and requested she support universal suffrage following Anthony's speech at a U.S. Congress House Committee on Judiciary hearing.[3][4]

--Julian Abele died at home in Philadelphia on April 23, 1950. His descendants have continued to gravitate toward architecture. His son Julian Abele, Jr., and his nephew Julian Abele Cook both became architects. Julian Abele Cook studied architecture at Penn with the Class of 1927; two of his grandchildren have continued the family tradition, Susan Cook as an architectural engineer and Peter Cook as an architect in Washington, D.C. Ironically, it was Susan Cook, while a student at Duke University during the 1986 student protests against apartheid in South Africa, who wrote the letter to the student newspaper which made public Julian Abele’s role in the creation of the Duke campus. His portrait now hangs in one of the buildings he designed, and the Duke University Web site proudly acknowledges his work.---

Julian Francis Abele

Peter-Cook-HGA-1024x684.jpg

Peter Cook

HGA announced that Peter D. Cook, AIA, NOMA, has joined the firm as design principal in the Washington, D.C. office. His design leadership, strategic planning and architectural expertise will enhance HGA’s growing East Coast presence.

Cook joins the firm with an outstanding portfolio of design leadership and award-winning projects throughout the United States—particularly in the D.C. area—encompassing museums, memorials, embassies, libraries, cultural and learning centers, and mixed-used corporate and neighborhood master planning. Among Cook’s high-profile projects are the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, Watha T. Daniel / Shaw Neighborhood Library, Embassy of South Africa and Saint Elizabeths East Gateway Pavilion.

That great-grand uncle was Julian F. Abele, one of the first and most prominent black architects in American history. Born in 1881, Abele excelled as an architect of whatever skin color: graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, studying at the École des Beaux-Arts, and then becoming chief designer of the renowned Philadelphia firm Horace Trumbauer. A Beaux Arts adherent and committed Francophile, Abele championed American revival architecture in a series of high-profile commissions that included the Free Library of Philadelphia, Harvard’s Widener Library, and the original campus of Duke University. But for the most part, he did so with Trumbauer’s imprimatur. “He was a shy and retiring person, he didn’t like being in front,” Cook says.

Peter Cook Joins HGA in Washington, DC - HGA

ZofRr7kZ_400x400.jpg

fiBQsBi.jpg

John Cook III

Specializing in criminal law, criminal procedure and evidence, Cook served for several years as an assistant U.S. attorney in Nevada and the District of Columbia. While a federal prosecutor and a member of the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, he was responsible for the handling of an array of criminal matters, including felony narcotic, white-collar and various arrest-generated cases during the trial and appellate stages. He also served as a judicial clerk for Judge Philip M. Pro of the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada.

Cook is the author or co-author of three books: Inside Adjudicative Criminal Procedure: What Matters and Why (Wolters Kluwer) (with A. Cook); Inside Investigative Criminal Procedure: What Matters and Why (Wolters Kluwer); and Trial Handbook for Georgia Lawyers (West) (with R. Carlson and M. Carlson). His articles and essays have been published (or are forthcoming) in the Brigham Young University Law Review, the Brooklyn Law Review, the Colorado Law Review, the Georgia Law Review, the Georgia Law Review Online, the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, the Notre Dame Law Review (twice), the Notre Dame Law Review Online, the Wake Forest Law Review and the Yale Journal of International Law.

Julian A. Cook III | www.law.uga.edu

• Dap
Reactions: boy

invalid

Banned
Daps
@IllmaticDelta Nooooo breh, why did you post the Jones Abele Cook Clan? They are literally connected to almost every family that we talked about in here - The Dibble - Cooks, the Wormleys, The Tanners, and the Davises whom I just spotlighted (and still have to finish). Real example of extreme black endogamy. I'll point out the connections a bit later.

I grew up Episcopalian. Black Episcopalians are known as the "spiritual sons" of Absalom Jones who founded our "mother church" - the African Protestant Episcopal Church of St. Thomas in Philadelphia, so we grew up always hearing about him and his family. Although the Episcopal denomination is predominantly white, there is basically a black episcopal church in every city that is a sister church to St. Thomas in Philly. In D.C. - there is St. Lukes Episcopal which was founded by Alexander Crummell ( another scion of a Washington dynasty), and was the church that most of the Washingtonian families attended. My family had ties to St. Edmund's in Chicago which certainly had a reputation that preceded it but St. Edmund's was a newer congregation that came out of St. Thomas. St. Thomas was where all of the old Chicago families attended who were contemporaries of the Jones-Abele-Cooks.

My grandmother's maternal side of the family were Episcopalians from Ohio. But her paternal side of the family were "AMEs" from Canada. Her paternal side were abolitionist who did work on the underground railroad in Ontario. It is on that side that I'm related to some of the other black abolitionist families that were in Canada including the Shadds, Whipper- Purnell, and Bingas. From that side, I'm a direct descendant of a colleague of Richard Allen, who took the AME Church to Canada. That colleague would go on to become the Bishop of the Canadian Province of the AME Church. While he was Bishop, he split from the AME Church and created the British Methodist Episcopal Church to reflect the churches Canadian idenity.

Funny enough, the "spiritual sons" of Richard Allen and Absalom Jones, the AME's and black Episcopalians, make up the corpus of what we know of as the "talented tenth".

Rep for the Julian Abele drop. I did not know that he designed Duke University. That's some true hidden black history.

Last edited:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
My cousin, Dr. Binga Dismond, stayed at 245 west 139th street which was in Harlem’s Strivers Row section.

I wonder which Harlem neighborhood had the most black celebrities, Sugar Hill or Strivers Row?

Probably Sugar Hill. Whole movie named after it.

“This is the flavor that they savor up here naybor.” - Eddie Kang :mjlol:

Also the origin of the infamous “akata” to American audiences.

High Key Sugar Hill was the movie.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta Nooooo breh, why did you post the Jones Abele Cook Clan? They are literally connected to almost every family that we talked about in here - The Dibble - Cooks, the Wormleys, The Tanners, and the Davises whom I just spotlighted (and still have to finish). Real example of extreme black endogamy. I'll point out the connections a bit later.

many of those surnames are found at

CEM104436_587e7acb-c618-42fb-9039-52e8b91b171f.jpeg

P2320931-1.jpg

I grew up Episcopalian. Black Episcopalians are known as the "spiritual sons" of Absalom Jones who founded our "mother church" - the African Protestant Episcopal Church of St. Thomas in Philadelphia, so we grew up always hearing about him and his family. Although the Episcopal denomination is predominantly white, there is basically a black episcopal church in every city that is a sister church to St. Thomas in Philly. In D.C. - there is St. Lukes Episcopal which was founded by Alexander Crummell ( another scion of a Washington dynasty), and was the church that most of the Washingtonian families attended. My family had ties to St. Edmund's in Chicago which certainly had a reputation that preceded it but St. Edmund's was a newer congregation that came out of St. Thomas. St. Thomas was where all of the old Chicago families attended who were contemporaries of the Jones-Abele-Cooks.

My grandmother's maternal side of the family were Episcopalians from Ohio. But her paternal side of the family were "AMEs" from Canada. Her paternal side were abolitionist who did work on the underground railroad in Ontario. It is on that side that I'm related to some of the other black abolitionist families that were in Canada including the Shadds, Whipper- Purnell, and Bingas. From that side, I'm a direct descendant of a colleague of Richard Allen, who took the AME Church to Canada. That colleague would go on to become the Bishop of the Canadian Province of the AME Church. While he was Bishop, he split from the AME Church and created the British Methodist Episcopal Church to reflect the churches Canadian idenity.

when you think about it, there should be quite a few afro-canadians who descend from many of the influential afroamericans who fled to canada; although, many of those aframs came back to the USA years/decades, later

Funny enough, the "spiritual sons" of Richard Allen and Absalom Jones, the AME's and black Episcopalians, make up the corpus of what we know of as the "talented tenth".

yup

Rep for the Julian Abele drop. I did not know that he designed Duke University. That's some true hidden black history.

no doubt:smugdraper:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
In the Face of What We Remember:Oral Histories of 409 and 555 Edgecombe Avenue

The definitive narrative of two of Harlem’s most noted addresses
(preview)

409 Edgecombe Avenue, NYC
729175-360-W.png

555 Edgecombe Avenue, NYC

237px-555_Edgecombe_Avenue_from_north.jpg

not surprised. People might think that building is the hood because of the immediate surrounding area but something about that building gave me a “old money” vibe to it.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Davis Family Part 2:

Lizzy's family is up there with the Jarrett-Dibble and Mossell Clans already featured, and possibly tops them.

Lizzy's grandmother was Alice Elizabeth "Liddie" Stubbs Davis.

Alice Elizabeth Stubbs Davis

Not much is documented on Elizabeth Stubbs Davis except some things in relation to her husband. However, it is known that she was very exceptional, and along with her husband was one of the first black anthropologist in the nation. She graduated from Mount Holyoke College and possibly both Harvard and the University of London and after marrying Allison Davis, assisted him on much of his research.

I will revisit Elizabeth as she connects the Davises to another black dynasty.

Alice Elizabeth "Liddie" Stubbs Davis was the daughter of Dr. J. Bacon Stubbs and Florence Blanche Williams

1583181165237.jpg

Dr. J. Bacon Stubbs

Dr. Jeannette Bacon Stubbs was a physician highly respected by blacks and whites in Wilmington, Delaware. He served on the city's Board of Health, owned vast amounts of real estate, and financed the mortgages for several black-owned buildings. Dr. JB Stubbs earned a B.A. from Virginia Normal and Industrial Fnstitute (now Virginia State University) in 1891 prior to earning a medical degree from Howard University in 1894. He had three children with his wife Blanche, Frederick Douglass Stubbs, Alice Elizabeth "Liddie" and Jeannette.

Florence Blanche Williams - Stubbs

Florence-Blanche-Williams-Stubbs-youthful-photo-from-Gordon-Fleming-468x624.jpg

Blanche Willams Stubbs (1872-1952) was an American civil rights activist and suffragette. Blanche Williams Stubbs was born in Wisconsin, on February 29, 1872. Blanche entered Howard University in Washington, D.C., graduating in 1892. Upon graduation, she settled in Wilmington, Delaware, to teach at The Howard School, which was by the 1890s, black-run and the only four-year high school for African-Americans in Delaware. In 1912, she joined with other African-American Wilmingtonians to found the Garrett Settlement House, named for the city’s famed abolitionist leader, Thomas Garrett. She was an early and consistent supporter of the Wilmington Branch of the NAACP, chartered in 1915. On June 3, 1920, one day after the Delaware State Legislature had refused to ratify the Nineteenth Amendment, she scheduled a public lecture at the settlement house on “The Equality of Men and Women.” During the 1920s, Blanche was active in Republican Party politics, both nationally and locally, and served as state chairman of the black-led National Republican Women’s Auxiliary Committee. As NAACP branch Vice-President, she worked with other leaders in the organization to mitigate the routine humiliations of segregation. She continued her work as director of the Garrett Settlement until it closed in 1949. Blanche died on March 11, 1952. She was eulogized as one of the most prominent women in Wilmington’s African-American community. For her work and contributions to the civic life of Wilmington, Blanche was honored by the Alumni Association at Howard University in June 1951.

Blanche Williams Stubbs was a cousin to Dr. Daniel Hale Williams of Chicago.

Dr. Daniel Hale Williams was the first doctor of any race to successfully perform open heart surgery.

Dr. Daniel Hale Williams - the black doctor who was the first man to perform a successful open-heart surgery and founder of Provident Hospital, the city's first black hospital, lived with the Joneses in his early years in Chicago. The Joneses were one of the earliest benefactors of Provident.

Dr. Dan Williams

Provident Hospital

Provident Hospital Nurses

The son of JB and Blanche William Stubbs and brother of Liddie Stubbs Davis was Dr. Frederick Douglass Stubbs.

Dr. Frederick Douglas Stubbs

from_phone_4_098_large.jpg

Dr. Frederick Douglass Stubbs was recognized as an extremely gifted chest surgeon and medical doctor. Dr. Stubbs was born in 1906 in Wilmington, Delaware, and attended Dartmouth University before graduating from Harvard University medical school. He became chief of the surgical departments at Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital and Mercy Hospital. He spent a year in residency in thoracic surgery at Sea View Hospital, which specialized in the treatment of tuberculosis, from 1937 to 1938. He was also acting chief surgeon of the Philadelphia General Hospital thoracic department. Dr. Stubbs was extremely active in the medical community as a member of organizations such as the American College of Surgeons, the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Board of Surgeons, as well as local organizations such as the Philadelphia Medical Society, Alpha Phi Alpha, Sigma Pi Phi, Alpha Boule Chapter, Pyramid Club, and the Community Chest.

Following a massive heart attack, Stubbs passed away on February 9, 1947. He was only forty years old. At the time of his death, he held the position of Acting Chief of the Division of Tuberculosis at Philadelphia General Hospital and had been invited to form and then head the Tuberculosis Division of Jefferson Medical School. In honor of his life and work, his peers within the Surgical Section of the National Medical Association renamed the Annual Lecture in Surgery “The Frederick Douglass Stubbs Surgical Lecture.” In a memorial piece, Dr. Charles R. Drew, called Stubbs’ early death, “the greatest tragedy and the severest loss to our medicine in my memory,” lamenting that, “…he saw the promise of our future and, stripped of all illusions, labored unceasingly to bring it to fruition.”

Dr. Frederick Douglas Stubbs was married to Marion Turner Stubbs Thomas

Marion Turner Stubbs Thomas

qux83wuc_large.jpg

Marion Turner Stubbs Thomas, born in 1910. She graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1930, attended the Sorbonne, and then received a music degree from Zeckwer Hahn Conservatory of Music. She was the daughter of Dr. John Patrick Turner and Mrs. Marion Turner, and married Dr. Frederick Douglass Stubbs on June 7, 1934. Together they had two daughters, Marion Patricia and Frederica Turner. She was a well-regarded concert pianist in the area, and also taught piano in Bordentown, NJ, both publicly and privately. After Dr. Stubbs passed away, she married Dr. Alfred Thomas of Detroit, with whom she had one daughter, Linda Thomas. In her later years, she worked as an equal employment opportunity counselor for the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

marion_turner_wedding_large.jpg

Marion Turner Stubbs Thomas was a socialite that was the founder of Jack and Jill of America, a social organization for families of the African American elite.

jackjill_logo_bug3.png

In January 1938, Marion Stubbs Thomas organized a group of twenty-one mothers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with the idea of establishing a social and cultural union for their children. From the beginning, this new club, Jack and Jill, focused on instilling values and leadership skills in their children and providing "all the opportunities possible for a normal and graceful approach to a beautiful adulthood." This group in Philadelphia quickly inspired others to found similar organizations. The second "chapter" of Jack and Jill was established in New York City in 1939, and a third in Washington, D.C. in 1940. The local group became an inter-city association, expanding to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Maryland, Boston, Buffalo, New York, Columbus, Ohio, Durham, North Carolina and Memphis, Tennessee between 1944 and June 1, 1946 -- the birth date of the national organization. Headquartered in Washington, DC, Jack and Jill of America, Inc. is divided into seven geographic regions for administrative purposes. Each region has a Director, Treasurer, Secretary and Foundation Member-at-Large, and is represented on a National Executive Board. At present, there are more than 230 Jack and Jill chapters in 35 states across the United States, with more than 10,000 mother members and 40,000 parents and children.

655b2cfcfb6a1e993f402c704ee9c090.jpg

Marion's father was Dr. John Patrick Turner

Dr. John Patrick Turner

039_large.jpg

Dr. John Patrick Turner was born November 1, 1885. He became a prominent and influential member of Philadelphia society, elected in 1935 as the first African American on the Philadelphia Board of Education, as well as achieving status as a respected physician and police surgeon. He obtained his medical degree at Shaw University, and later received an honorary Doctor of Law degree from Shaw. He also took a graduate course in surgery at the University of Pennsylvania. From 1912 to 1931 he served as medical inspector for the Philadelphia public schools. He was also chief surgeon of Frederick Douglass Hospital beginning in 1935, surgeon-emeritus at Mercy Douglass Hospital, and visiting surgeon at Wynnefield Hospital. He served as president of the National Medical Association in 1921 and remained active in the organization throughout his life. He was also very active with community organizations like the YMCA in Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Council of Boy Scouts. He died on September 14, 1958.

Last edited: