Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've achieved as much or more than a lot of these children to 'elite' black families and I'm just as unrefined hood nikka with no connections. Yet they look down on me because of my pedigree.

:mjlol:

I mean if I was their kid and all I had to do was sit on my ass and go to the occasional dinner once in a while. I could give a shyt about pedigree

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Aisha Tyler

giphy.gif

is from one of these families

The story of the first American generation of the Mahomet family, and of the life of this family in Madagascar, was further refined by my mother's second cousin, Jeremiah Mahammitt, in 1987, who managed to remember many words in Malagasy. We traced the vocabulary and the pronounciation to the Majunga - Maravoy area. Other stories of dances, music, living conditions and ceremonies helped to confirm this geographic area of origin. Visit other sites dealing with the Gregory family: T.M. Gregory, for James Monroe Gregory. The site of one of his great-great-grandsons, Ernest James Wilson, can be visited, as well as the site of Robin Gregory, another of his grandaughters. Her daughter, Aisha, can be found on cable TV on the show "Alphabet Soup."

Aisha’s maternal grandparents were Eugene Chandler Gregory (the son of Thomas Montgomery Gregory and Hugh Ella “Huella” Hancock) and Elaine Graham. Thomas Montgomery Gregory was a dramatist, educator, activist, and social philosopher; he was the son of James Monroe Gregory, a Professor of Latin and Dean at Howard University, whose grandparents were free blacks; and of Fannie Emma Hagan. Aisha’s great-grandmother Hugh was the daughter of Hugh Berry Hancock and Susie E. James.

Aisha’s great-great-grandmother Fannie Hagan’s mother, Margaret A. Mahammitt, was said to be the daughter of Jeremiah/Ali Mahomet, from Madagascar.

Aisha’s episode of Who Do You Think You Are? (2016) stated that her great-great-great-grandfather was John Hancock, who was a member of the Texas House of Representatives (1860-1861), and served as a U.S. Congressman from Texas, from 1871 to 1877, and from 1883 to 1885. John was white, and had English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry.

9d6jSzt.jpg

N2MQXfT.jpg

4WdxXFh.jpg

James Monroe Gregory (January 23, 1849 – December 17, 1915)

was a Professor of Latin and Dean at Howard University. During the American Civil War, he
worked in Cleveland for the education and aid of escaped slaves. He initially attended Oberlin
University. He transferred to Howard and was the valedictorian of Howard's first graduating
class in 1872. He then became a member of faculty, where he served until the late 1880s. During
that time he was active in civil rights, particularly related to the education of African
American children. He fought to desegregate Washington D.C. schools in the early 1880s and
participated in the Colored Conventions Movement and was a delegate to the 1892 Republican
National Convention. In 1890 he founded the American Association of Educators of Colored Youth.
In 1893 he published a biography of Frederick Douglass. In 1897 he was removed at Howard and
moved to New Jersey where he became principal of Bordentown Industrial and Manual Training
School.

his son below

Sld86jM.jpg

Thomas Montgomery Gregory (August 31, 1887 – November 21, 1971)

was a dramatist, educator, social philosopher and activist, historian and a leading
figure in the National Negro Theatre Movement.

8RoXd5z.jpg

utwLB4t.jpg

Frederick Gregory was born on January 7, 1941, in Washington, D.C.. His father was Francis A. Gregory, an educator who was assistant superintendent for D.C. Public Schools as well as the first black president of the D.C. Public Library Board of Trustees. His father has a public library named after him in the Ward 7/Hillcrest neighborhood. His mother was Nora Drew Gregory, a lifelong educator as well as public library advocate. She was also the sister of noted African-American physician, surgeon and researcher Dr. Charles Drew, who developed improved techniques for blood storage, and applied his expert knowledge in developing large-scale blood banks early in World War II, saving thousands of Allied lives. Gregory's great-grandfather was educator James Monroe Gregory.[1]

Charles Drew was his uncle

Charles Richard Drew (June 3, 1904 – April 1, 1950)

was an American surgeon and medical researcher. He researched in the field of blood transfusions, developing improved techniques for blood storage, and applied his expert knowledge to developing large-scale blood banks early in World War II. This allowed medics to save thousands of lives of the Allied forces.[1] As the most prominent African American in the field, Drew protested against the practice of racial segregation in the donation of blood, as it lacked scientific foundation, and resigned his position with the American Red Cross, which maintained the policy until 1950.[2]

sINuzUP.jpg

Hugh Hancock

On the eighth season of Who Do You Think You Are?, actress and comedian Aisha Tyler learned that Congressman John Hancock was her great-great-great-grandfather. Hancock fathered a child with one of his slaves producing a son, Hugh Hancock, through whom Tyler is descended. Hugh Hancock would become a prominent leader of the Austin African-American community. Active in the local Republican Party, Hugh ran a bar called the Black Elephant.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'll go first and start with a family from my own city.

Chicago

It was always said by my people that the most powerful black woman in America was from Chicago. In fact, her family may be the most powerful black family in all of America.

Cool fact: Her name isn't Oprah.

ValerieJarrettObamas_0418.jpg

127447-004-8F4F4BB0.jpg

Word around town is that Valerie Bowman Jarrett, leveraging both her personal and family's network got Barack Obama into the White House. Which is why Obama, knowing her value, appointed her Senior Advisor to the President. She was the longest serving advisor to Obama. Many Washingtonians were jealous of her access and power. She was essentially the "power behind the throne."
Valerie-Jarrett-book_840x840.jpg

Decent interview though I cringed that she had the gall to use the phrase "I struggled as a single mother".
hehehehe

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@ab.aspectus

How familiar are you with what Madame CJ Walker's family is up to these days? I expect them to be firmly embedded in the circles being discussed in the thread. Netflix series about Walker is coming soon.
In the tradition of who she was, and how the people you featured in this thread operated...the project was EXECUTIVE produced primarily by a team of powerful Black people.

=============================================================
Netflix Sets Premiere Date For ‘Self Made: Inspired By The Life Of Madam C.J. Walker’, Unveils First Look At Octavia Spencer Limited Series
mcjw_102_unit_01582rc.jpg

Netflix has unveiled the official title and premiere date for their previously announced C.J. Walker project starring Octavia Spencer. The four-part limited series Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker will debut on the streaming platform March 20. Netflix also released the first look at Spencer as the iconic figure in history.

In the series, Oscar-winning actress Spencer stars as Sarah Breedlove, known as Madam C.J. Walker, the black hair care pioneer and mogul who overcame hostile turn-of-the-century America, epic rivalries, tumultuous marriages and family challenges to become America’s first black, female self-made millionaire.

The series is inspired by the book, On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C. J. Walker by Walker’s great-great-granddaughter A’Lelia Bundles. Walker overcame post-slavery racial and gender biases, personal betrayals, and business rivalries to build a ground-breaking brand that revolutionized black haircare, as she simultaneously fought for social change.

Self Made also stars Blair Underwood as her husband C.J. Walker, Tiffany Haddish as her daughter Lelia, Carmen Ejogo as Walker’s business rival Addie Munroe, Garrett Morris as Walker’s father-in-law, Kevin Carroll as her longtime lawyer Freeman Ransom and Bill Bellamy as Ransom’s cousin Sweetness.

The limited series is produced by SpringHill Entertainment and Wonder Street in association with Warner Bros. Television is helmed by co-showrunners Elle Johnson & Janine Sherman Barrois, along with writer and co-executive producer Nicole Jefferson Asher, directed by Kasi Lemmons and DeMane Davis, and executive produced by Janine Sherman Barrois, Elle Johnson, Maverick Carter, LeBron James, Octavia Spencer, Mark Holder, Christine Holder, Kasi Lemmons, and Jamal Henderson.

invalid

Banned
Daps
@ab.aspectus

How familiar are you with what Madame CJ Walker's family is up to these days? I expect them to be firmly embedded in the circles being discussed in the thread. Netflix series about Walker is coming soon.
In the tradition of who she was, and how the people you featured in this thread operated...the project was EXECUTIVE produced primarily by a team of powerful Black people.

Netflix Sets Premiere Date For ‘Self Made: Inspired By The Life Of Madam C.J. Walker’, Unveils First Look At Octavia Spencer Limited Series

Netflix has unveiled the official title and premiere date for their previously announced C.J. Walker project starring Octavia Spencer. The four-part limited series Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker will debut on the streaming platform March 20. Netflix also released the first look at Spencer as the iconic figure in history.

In the series, Oscar-winning actress Spencer stars as Sarah Breedlove, known as Madam C.J. Walker, the black hair care pioneer and mogul who overcame hostile turn-of-the-century America, epic rivalries, tumultuous marriages and family challenges to become America’s first black, female self-made millionaire.

The series is inspired by the book, On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C. J. Walker by Walker’s great-great-granddaughter A’Lelia Bundles. Walker overcame post-slavery racial and gender biases, personal betrayals, and business rivalries to build a ground-breaking brand that revolutionized black haircare, as she simultaneously fought for social change.

Self Made also stars Blair Underwood as her husband C.J. Walker, Tiffany Haddish as her daughter Lelia, Carmen Ejogo as Walker’s business rival Addie Munroe, Garrett Morris as Walker’s father-in-law, Kevin Carroll as her longtime lawyer Freeman Ransom and Bill Bellamy as Ransom’s cousin Sweetness.

The limited series is produced by SpringHill Entertainment and Wonder Street in association with Warner Bros. Television is helmed by co-showrunners Elle Johnson & Janine Sherman Barrois, along with writer and co-executive producer Nicole Jefferson Asher, directed by Kasi Lemmons and DeMane Davis, and executive produced by Janine Sherman Barrois, Elle Johnson, Maverick Carter, LeBron James, Octavia Spencer, Mark Holder, Christine Holder, Kasi Lemmons, and Jamal Henderson.

Thanks for the drop. I just saw this the other day.

I met her great great granddaughter A’Lelia at the Harlem Book Fair when she was promoting her book a few years back when I was living in New York. She struck me as being extremely humble but very intelligent. If I recall, she graduated at the top of her class at Radcliffe (now subsumed under Harvard).

alelia-bundles_photo-by-michael-cunningham_305px.jpg

I think now, by default, people recognize her as being part of this group (since that money and education is a couple of generations old now) but she makes it clear Madame C.J. Walker was viewed as being an “arriviste” among this group at the time. And I’m not sure if she participates in the Links or any other orgs but she is certainly respected.

'Very silly'

Bundles, a retired network news executive, is the great-great-granddaughter of Madam C.J. Walker, the former laundrywoman whose hair care products made her the richest woman — black or white — of the early 20th century.

Walker and her daughter, A'Lelia Walker, were featured heavily in the first book.

But Bundles, who wrote "On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C. J. Walker," says that in a parallel to some blacks today who have recently become rich, Walker was shunned by some wealthy blacks who saw her as nothing more than a washwoman.

"Who is Lawrence Otis Graham to make these delineations? Who made him the arbiter?" Bundles asked. "There are a lot of really wealthy black people who aren't going around saying they hope to get in this book. None of them care. It is very silly."

invalid

Banned
Daps
Aisha Tyler

giphy.gif

is from one of these families

9d6jSzt.jpg

N2MQXfT.jpg

4WdxXFh.jpg

James Monroe Gregory (January 23, 1849 – December 17, 1915)

his son below

Sld86jM.jpg

Thomas Montgomery Gregory (August 31, 1887 – November 21, 1971)

8RoXd5z.jpg

utwLB4t.jpg

Charles Drew was his uncle

Charles Richard Drew (June 3, 1904 – April 1, 1950)

sINuzUP.jpg

Hugh Hancock

I’m not familiar with Aisha Tyler.
Was John Hancock the John Hancock that signed the Declaration of Independence?
The only one I know of this family is Charles Drew. And his daughters, Charlene Drew Jarvis and Bebe Drew Price are also very accomplished.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Thanks for the drop. I just saw this the other day.

I met her great great granddaughter A’Lelia at the Harlem Book Fair when she was promoting her book a few years back when I was living in New York. She struck me as being extremely humble but very intelligent. If I recall, she graduated at the top of her class at Radcliffe (now subsumed under Harvard).

alelia-bundles_photo-by-michael-cunningham_305px.jpg

I think now, by default, people recognize her as being part of this group (since that money and education is a couple of generations old now) but she makes it clear Madame C.J. Walker was viewed as being an “arriviste” among this group at the time. And I’m not sure if she participates in the Links or any other orgs but she is certainly respected.
Thanks. As was the case with John Johnson decades later, it must have BURNED the souls of some in that group that an "outsider" rose above them in terms of earnings. Black press back then was probably covering Walker's success every week. I also bet that Walker stunted on them every chance she got.

Glad to hear that this descendant didn't buy into the elitism .

Now, we all know the real reason Walker was kept at arm's length, right?

those gotdamned hair straightening products let some people with bad hair sneak into those circles.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

CHEAT CODE FOR THE COMB TEST

nykanctl00044_1_1.jpg

I'm sure they hired a hitman to kill the maker of skin lightening products too.For fukking up that other test.

79800_HKKRE8oe.jpg

just jokes

invalid

Banned
Daps
Thanks. As was the case with John Johnson decades later, it must have BURNED the souls of some in that group that an "outsider" rose above them in terms of earnings. Black press back then was probably covering Walker's success every week. I also bet that Walker stunted on them every chance she got.

Glad to hear that this descendant didn't buy into the elitism .

Now, we all know the real reason Walker was kept at arm's length, right?

those gotdamned hair straightening products let some people with bad hair sneak into those circles.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

CHEAT CODE FOR THE COMB TEST

nykanctl00044_1_1.jpg

I'm sure they hired a hitman to kill the maker of skin lightening products too.For fukking up that other test.

79800_HKKRE8oe.jpg

just jokes

Oh! Stunted she did!

Her house - Villa Lewaro in the Hudson Valley town of Irvington, NY

141022_blog-photo_villa-lewaro_group-in-front.gif

home-design.jpg

c2d1e191-77b9-4174-ad1a-07a22d6c7f99-Model_T.jpg

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@ab.aspectus

Netflix is doing a series with Madame Walker !!!?? That’s Blair Underwood- this is big.. exciting to see. I want to read that book from her g-granddaughter.

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great thread it's no coincidence when you see certain ppl get put on compared to others with natural god given talent as well I came across this podcast after listening to Cam'ron interview n it all made sense alot of these Industry & political ppl are born into money and resources. Alot if ppl don't understand the politics behind the scenes that's why it's so easy for ppl to get caught up in the hype