invalid

Banned
Daps
CHARLOTTE HAWKINS BROWN AND PALMER MEMORIAL INSTITUTE​

I've heard accounts that she was a very mean person on top of being mad elitist.

She was the first black woman to serve on the national board of the Young Women’s Christian Association.

The YWCA has been a really progressive organization now that I think about it. I also know another black woman who served on the board of the YWCA. Her name is Dorri McWhorter.

She and I worked together at a public accounting firm. Dorri was a black partner at this all white accounting firm and sought me out as a senior for a number of her engagements even though I was not in her practice. To this day, Dorri is one of the nicest, most genuine, and most down to earth black execs I have ever met. She has no airs about herself and is always eager to put other black people on.

True definition of servant leader and great example of what upliftment is about.

Dori is now the CEO of YWCA in Chicago

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I've heard accounts that she was a very mean person on top of being mad elitist.
She was groomed and supported by the White New England Brahmin crowd, so I can see her buying into their brand of elitism.

Years ago, a group of us and our ladies watched a special about Motown. They brought up Maxine Powell and the etiquette class she taught to the artists.

I remember one of the women mentioning Black finishing schools that used to exist. We agreed that there existed a need for modern version, for women and men. Unfortunately, many people equate grace and manners with "white".

It's a backwards mentality that comes from our communities. It's also promoted by white media gatekeepers as a way of mocking Black people. Part of the repertoire of old minstrel shows was the mocking of high falutin, uppity Blacks. I can tell that many Black folks have bought into that propaganda.

The YWCA has been a really progressive organization now that I think about it. I also know another black woman who served on the board of the YWCA. Her name is Dorri McWhorter.

She and I worked together at a public accounting firm. Dorri was a black partner at this all white accounting firm and sought me out as a senior for a number of her engagements even though I was not in her practice. To this day, Dorri is one of the nicest, most genuine, and most down to earth black execs I have ever met. She has no airs about herself and is always eager to put other black people on.

True definition of servant leader and great example of what upliftment is about.

Dori is now the CEO of YWCA in Chicago

Yes, the YWCA seems to have been a progressive organization. It comes up in stories about prominent Blacks across the country.

Good to hear about Ms. McWhorter's spirit and actions.
I think you've done a good job of giving a 3 dimensional look into this segment of AA culture and history...and showing these figures as individuals (as well as part of families and networks). This thread and members of this community stepping out and speaking for themselves helps counter the misconceptions and propaganda.

I brought up Motown earlier in this post. Why does her man look like Berry Gordy?
and why does Ms. McWhorter look just like the lead singer for The Jets?
dmheaitu8aalttr-e1566051009338.jpg

Is Dorri related to John McWhorter, the professor?

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Chicago is weird it could of been like ATL but I think the gang culture, mafia (Irish mafia) is what's stopping it from ever becoming a black city.tge lgbtq had took over the city imo boule ain't really got muscle no mo Hyde Park is being hella gentrified

invalid

Banned
Daps

Also,

Desiree Rogers buys Fashion Fair
Former Johnson CEO Rogers has bought the cosmetics company out of bankruptcy with former Johnson executive Cheryl Mayberry McKissack and Magnetar's Alec Litowitz.
DALTON BARKER

Bloomberg
Desiree Rogers

The Fashion Fair beauty line is now owned by a set of familiar faces.

Desiree Rogers and Cheryl Mayberry McKissack, former CEO and COO respectively of Johnson Publishing, along with Alec Litowitz's hedge fund Magnetar, recently acquired Fashion Fair out of bankruptcy for $1.85 million.

The iconic cosmetics brand designed for women of color was created in 1973 to specifically serve African American women and was owned by the publishing company. At one point, it was the largest black-owned cosmetics company in the world and sold skin, hair and fragrance products in department stores and online.

"Fashion Fair is just too valuable for our community to lose," Rogers said in an emailed statement. "We plan to modernize the brand and products, but will remain true to the company's roots, which was to create prestige products focused on women of color."

Earlier in April of this year, the 77-year-old Johnson Publishing, founded by John Johnson, filed in federal Bankruptcy Court for Chapter 7 liquidation after exhausting efforts to restructure, refinance or sell its operations, the company said.

The publishing company struggled in recent years to keep Fashion Fair items stocked in department stores. After the founder’s death in 2005, his daughter, Linda Johnson Rice, took full control of the company and appointed a series of overseers, including former White House social secretary Rogers as CEO in 2010. While Rogers tried to revive the struggling Fashion Fair brand with new colors and marketing, inventory snafus mounted and she left in 2017.

Rogers, Litowitz and Cheryl Mayberry McKissack also own Black Opal, another beauty line specifically for women of color, which was started in 1994.

Desiree Rogers buys Fashion Fair

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Great clip.
It illustrates why white people and corporate interests resent the conscious element of the Black elite, and tries to keep them at arm's length. Easier to deal with a person who doesn't care about the empowerment of Black people and wants them to become dependent on those interests.
Neither Desiree , nor her husband John Rogers are here for the photo-op and to just grin while being handed an oversized check.

What she's talking about here is the cornerstone for the empowerment of any group; education, opportunity, and investment. That will sustain a community long after the media has moved on to another story.
The people who know what power is and what it looks like are not going for the okeydoke.
I mentioned in a previous post that the outsider fueled caricatures of successful Blacks have been believed and adopted by segments of our communities. The indifference to, or justification of , the destruction of Black owned businesses during the 2020 riots is an extension of that. Couldn't have happened without a latent resentment of Black business owners. Besides random people on the internet doing it, I saw some writers/academics do it also. I will go to my grave not understanding how Black people could cosign the elimination of businesses that either employed or were owned by Black people.

Those Black people in the communities are now dependent on outsiders for resources and services....more dependent than before.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
book came out a few weeks ago, May 2020

9781469655857.jpg

Aaron McDuffie Moore
An African American Physician, Educator, and Founder of Durham's Black Wall Street

Below is an old article about his family doing the research for the book .
WelchStory.jpg

In Search of Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore

Eileen Welch is up-close-and-personal with the Shaw University Archives, housed on campus in the foyer of the James E. Cheek Learning Resource Center. Open to faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community for research and scholarship, the Shaw Archives holds historical, legal, fiscal and administrative records dating back to the school’s founding in 1865 as the south’s first black college.

Welch, however, is on the hunt for one name: Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore, her maternal great-grandfather. Moore is an 1888 graduate of the second class of Shaw’s Leonard Medical School; the first African-American doctor to practice medicine in Durham, NC; founder of Lincoln Hospital and Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing; founder of the Durham Colored Library, Inc.,co-founder of N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Company, and Mechanics and Farmers Bank (now known as M&F Bank).

EileenWelch.jpg
Much of Moore’s legacy as an accomplished physician, entrepreneur, and champion of education and equal access is well-documented through generations of Welch’s family’s oral history. Plus, Welch has a cache of information about Moore’s place in the history of medicine that was collected until his death by Welch’s father, Charles D. Watts, MD who was the first board certified surgeon in North Carolina. It’s the undocumented layers of Moore’s life that unveil his compassion as an advocate, activist and philanthropist and entrepreneur that Welch hopes to uncover and weave into a biography about Moore, her mother’s grandfather, whose impact on the health, education and social services otherwise would remain blurry side-notes in the margins of family history.

“Very little is written about him, and there’s almost nothing written about his early life,” Welch said. “He did so much; he was driven. But the general public knows very little about where he came from or what made him the kind of person who was driven to help others have better lives.” While Welch researches here on the East Coast, the book is being written by her niece, Blake Hill-Saya, a professional opera singer in Los Angeles who owns a gift for writing and shares interest in her great-great-grandfather’s contributions to African-American – and American – history. For research in Shaw’s Archives, Welch has a check-list of what she hopes to find:

• Moore’s name listed among Leonard’s 1888 graduating class.
  • Correspondence between Moore and Shaw’s founder and first president, Henry M. Tupper; possibly in reference to Moore’s role with three other student advocates in starting the Old North State Medical Society, one of the country’s oldest medical associations for African-American physicians now renamed and a division of the National Association.
  • Correspondence between Moore and Shaw’s second president, Charles F. Meserve; possibly providing evidence of Moore’s campaign to save Leonard under the 1910 Flexner Report, which deemed black people inferior and black medical schools inadequate, and transformed medical education in the United States and Canada. Only two black medical schools survived: Howard University and Meharry Medical College. Leonard, the south’s first four-year medical school to train black doctors and pharmacists, closed in 1918.
“Aaron Moore fought that closing,” Welch said. “He wrote letters and tried to salvage Leonard because he knew from his own studies that Leonard did teach the science and students were well prepared. He believed that, and we’ve seen evidence of this in reports about the medical school.” Welch said Moore never wavered in his dedication and belief in Shaw. When he died (1923), Moore bequeathed to Shaw an impressive $5,000, Welch said.

So far, Welch has gingerly thumbed through “page by page” of delicately-thin onion-skin paper tucked in inches-thick binders in Shaw’s Archives to find:

• Moore’s name on a list of 1888 Leonard Medical School graduates, including reference to “the fact that he took the state medical exam…and was the second-highest scorer among a multi-ethnic group taught at any school, anywhere,” she said.
  • A three sentence, job recommendation letter for Moore, signed by then President Meserve. “Dr. Moore stands very high as a physician and a citizen, and has the confidence of the Colored People of this state,” reads the letter found in correspondence from the President’s Office dated 1895, 1897, 1898.
“It was rewarding to have come to the Shaw Archives and to have found at least something,” Welch said. “It gives me hope.”

The biography of Moore is the second project of DCL, which Moore started by donating his own books and those of NCCU founder James E. Shepard’s to loan to members of White Rock Baptist Church. The library’s first project was the Merrick/Washington Magazine published for the visually impaired; originally in braille. Welch currently helps oversee the non-profit named Durham Colored Library, Inc. (DCL, Inc.) whose board from 1918 – 1967 managed the lending library before the Durham County Library system integrated. The DCL, Inc. continues to function as a non-profit, with a mission to lift upstories of African American figures, both current and historical, to create amore comprehensive picture of the American experience. Welch, having been recruited by her mother, Constance Merrick Watts, when she returned to Durham in 1996 for a career at Duke University now serves as volunteer president and chair of the board.

The biography explores Moore’s early life, born in 1863 as the 9th of 10 children to free yeoman farmers in Columbus County. It also delves into land ownership passed on even in colonial times through generations of black families like Moore’s; the values, character and upward mobility of African-American families in that era; and how Moore was raised and educated at home, in the church, through the Normal schools of that time, and studied at Shaw’s Leonard Medical School. Welch also includes in her research stories she recalls about her great-grandfather seeing patients on his home’s back porch, which ultimately led to Lincoln Hospital – where both she (her three siblings) and her mother were born – which first opened in a clapboard house on Proctor Street and later in a multi-story brick building on Fayetteville Road. She also calls on stories about a great-grandfather who was a visionary in understanding the connection between health and education, simultaneously providing healthcare to families and working to improve rural schools by helping to inspire the opening of 80 Rosenwald Schools in North Carolina, more than in any other state.

“That’s what my value is: I’ve been able to bring these memories to light. The people who lived through those times aren’t here anymore,” Welch said of how her research extends beyond archives into her own memory and audio tapes of her grandmother telling these stories. When shared with Hill-Saya as she writes. “Together, we’re bringing back Aaron Moore’s life and the way they lived at that time.”

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
book came out a few weeks ago, May 2020

9781469655857.jpg

Aaron McDuffie Moore
An African American Physician, Educator, and Founder of Durham's Black Wall Street

WelchStory.jpg

In Search of Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore

Eileen Welch is up-close-and-personal with the Shaw University Archives, housed on campus in the foyer of the James E. Cheek Learning Resource Center. Open to faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community for research and scholarship, the Shaw Archives holds historical, legal, fiscal and administrative records dating back to the school’s founding in 1865 as the south’s first black college.

Welch, however, is on the hunt for one name: Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore, her maternal great-grandfather. Moore is an 1888 graduate of the second class of Shaw’s Leonard Medical School; the first African-American doctor to practice medicine in Durham, NC; founder of Lincoln Hospital and Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing; founder of the Durham Colored Library, Inc.,co-founder of N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Company, and Mechanics and Farmers Bank (now known as M&F Bank).

Stedman is related to him/from that same stock.

The Benjamin and Edith Spaulding Descendants are a large extended family whose roots lead back to Colonial America.

Benjamin Spaulding (1773-1862) was of mixed-race background, born into slavery in Duplin County, NC. His wife Edith Delphia Freeman Spaulding (1786-1871) was a Native-American of Waccamaw and Cape Fear Indian ancestry from Bladen County, NC. The couple had nine children: William, Emanuel, Armstead, John, Iver, Ann Eliza, Benjamin Jr., David and Henry.

Benjamin was legally freed in 1825 by manumission papers filed in Columbus County, NC courts. Earlier census records and land deeds in indicate Benjamin was considered free for many years before that date.

Benjamin and Edith acquired land and a mill in Farmers Union, NC becoming skilled farmers and turpentine distillers. With their extended families the couple helped establish a free, independent and self-sustaining community with a school and church on their land prior to the U.S. Civil War. Post-Civil War the family entered politics as well, with their son John Spaulding (1817-1894) elected as the first county commissioner of color in Bladen County, NC in 1868.

Benjamin and Edith’s nine children raised 76 grandchildren and many extended family members as well. Step-grandson George Henry White (1852-1918) was elected to U.S. Congress in 1897 serving two terms as the sole African-American congressman of that era. After being forced out of his seat due to implementation of discriminatory "Jim Crow" laws in North Carolina, Congressman White relocated to Philadelphia becoming a prominent business leader. In 1901 he founded the town of Whitesboro, NJ as a place for settlers to have an even chance for opportunities and success. Many of our family members relocated to Whitesboro successfully replicating traditions of self-sufficiency and achievement. New York, Washington, DC and Los Angeles became additional early 20th century nexus points where Spaulding descendants made their mark.

Grandson Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore (1862-1923), with his nephew Charles Clinton Spaulding (1874-1952) and business partner John Merrick (1859-1919), created unparalleled opportunities for people of color in Durham, NC. Together they co-founded North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co., Mechanics & Farmers Bank, Lincoln Hospital and other entities forming “Black Wall Street” in Durham, the preeminent African-American business center of the mid-20th century. C.C. Spaulding also had a significant role in the founding of North Carolina Central University at Durham in 1909, while Dr. A.M. Moore spearheaded the establishment of numerous Rosenwald Fund elementary schools in rural African-American communities throughout the Carolinas.

Great-grandson Rev. William Luther Moore (1857-1930) left a profound legacy within the Native-American community as a renowned educator and religious leader among the Lumbee Tribe. He founded the Croatan Normal School in 1887, now the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Rev. W.L. Moore also initiated the ongoing effort for federal tribal recognition of the Lumbee by the U.S. Government in the 1890s. Spaulding descendants continue to maintain a proud and significant presence in the modern Lumbee and Waccamaw-Siouan Indian communities in North Carolina.

Spaulding descendants have pioneered in many key areas. Their achievements in education, finance, public service, arts, agriculture, and invention have been truly remarkable.

Today some nine generations since Benjamin and Edith have come into existence with more than 5,000 descendants. Bi-annual Reunions connect cousins from all over the country, with annual events additionally held by our regional committees. Our family association (BESDA, Inc.) and non-profit foundation (BESDF, Inc.) now support many beneficial projects among our extended family.

raTy4UF.jpg

Tl7Lotv.jpg

Alot of that same stock out there identifying as Lumbee Indians along with various other Eastern Indian identified, subgroups:hhh:

invalid

Banned
Daps

Noticed this after I read the article. I was confused for a sec cause I was like how are they researching when the book is finished? :mjlol:

Never had heard of him. And didn't know Durham had a black wall street.

The only person I know from Durham was one of two black professors I had in my college and her father was president of North Carolina Central University.

Alot of that same stock out there identifying as Lumbee Indians along with various other Eastern Indian identified, subgroups:hhh:

:lolbron:

We've always wondered about Stedman.

Oh them Lumbees.:snoop: My grandmother's maternal side was from Ohio and had "lumbee" stock from Virginia. Actually, they didn't refer to them as that, they claimed they had "Blackfoot" blood. The actual Blackfoot tribe was somewhere around the border of Montana and Canada so I knew off rip that couldn't have been true. Did some research some years ago and found out "Blackfoot" was another nickname given to the Lumbees.:mjlol:

Family has done numerous DNA test on that side. Stories have been passed down that we had indian in us going all the way back to the early 1800s. In fact, I had a 4th great grand aunt named "Sarah Ann Brown 'Charokee' Surname" - the "Charokee" given to her because of the supposed Indian blood we had and in each successive generation of my family, some woman has carried the name of "Charokee" as tradition because of the oral history. Multiple DNA test came back on that side of the family and determined that was all a lie and confirmed what all the articles have said about the so called "Lumbees" to be true.:pachaha:

Family members been traumatized.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

We've always wondered about Stedman.

Oh them Lumbees.:snoop: My grandmother's maternal side was from Ohio and had "lumbee" stock from Virginia. Actually, they didn't refer to them as that, they claimed they had "Blackfoot" blood. The actual Blackfoot tribe was somewhere around the border of Montana and Canada so I knew off rip that couldn't have been true. Did some research some years ago and found out "Blackfoot" was another nickname given to the Lumbees.:mjlol:

Family has done numerous DNA test on that side. Stories have been passed down that we had indian in us going all the way back to the early 1800s. In fact, I had a 4th great grand aunt named "Sarah Ann Brown 'Charokee' Surname" - the "Charokee" given to her because of the supposed Indian blood we had and in each successive generation of my family, some woman has carried the name of "Charokee" as tradition because of the oral history. Multiple DNA test came back on that side of the family and determined that was all a lie and confirmed what all the articles have said about the so called "Lumbees" to be true.:pachaha:

Family members been traumatized.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Oh! Stunted she did!

Her house - Villa Lewaro in the Hudson Valley town of Irvington, NY

141022_blog-photo_villa-lewaro_group-in-front.gif

home-design.jpg

c2d1e191-77b9-4174-ad1a-07a22d6c7f99-Model_T.jpg

something related to that mansion

oRmg7U5.jpg

BepNK5l.jpg

Tom Eblen: Freed slave left his mark all over Lexington, and you can still see it today

Jw2IQ5R.jpg

Business partners Henry Tandy and Albert Byrd, two black bricklayers in Lexington during the
late 1800s and early 1900s, did the brick work on many notable local buildings. One of Tandy &
Byrd's biggest jobs was the Fayette County Courthouse. Herald-Leader
Henry A. Tandy was one of many newly freed slaves who moved to Lexington at the end of the
Civil War. He would leave marks on this city that are still visible, and his son would do the
same in New York.

Tandy was born in Kentucky, but it isn't known exactly when or where. He came to Lexington in
1865 at about age 15 and made a name for himself as a craftsman, business executive and
entrepreneur.
After two years as a photographer's assistant, Tandy went to work in 1867 as a laborer for G.D.
Wilgus, one of Lexington's largest building contractors. Within a few years he was a skilled
bricklayer and a foreman, according to architectural historian Rebecca Lawin McCarley, who
researched his life and wrote about it in 2006 for the journal Kentucky Places & Spaces.
Tandy saved money and, after marrying Emma Brice in 1874, bought his first real estate from
George Kinkead, an anti-slavery lawyer whose mansion is now the Living Arts & Science Center.
Tandy built the only two-story brick house in Kinkeadtown, a black settlement now part of the
East End.

By the time their son, Vertner, was born in 1885, the Tandys had sold their home in Kinkeadtown
for a profit and moved in with her parents at 642 West Main Street. Tandy is thought to have
built the brick house there, and he lived in it for the rest of his life.
In the 1880s, Tandy began buying investment lots around town. He built and rented some of the
best houses in Lexington's "black" neighborhoods at the time.
Among the Wilgus projects that Tandy worked on were the Opera House, St. Paul Catholic Church
and First Presbyterian Church. When Wilgus' health deteriorated in the 1880s, Tandy took over
many of his duties. It was then unheard of for a black man to run a white man's business.
When Wilgus died in 1893, Tandy and another black bricklayer, Albert Byrd, formed their own
company, Tandy & Byrd. It became one of Lexington's largest brick contractors, with as many as
50 workers.
Tandy & Byrd's biggest project was the old Fayette County Court House. Others that remain
standing include the First National Bank building on Short Street, Miller Hall at the
University of Kentucky and the Merrick Lodge Building, where The Jax restaurant is now at Short
and Limestone streets.
Tandy & Byrd also built the annex for the Protestant Infirmary at East Short Street and Elm
Tree Lane. The infirmary was the forerunner of Good Samaritan Hospital. Until recently, the
annex housed Hurst Office Furniture.
Tandy & Byrd constructed the Ades Dry Goods building on East Main Street, which now houses
Thomas & King's offices and Portofino restaurant. The partners did a lot of brick work for
Combs Lumber Co., which built many turn-of-the-century Lexington homes (including mine).
Tandy was one of 49 people profiled in W.D. Johnson's 1897 book, Biographical Sketches of
Prominent Negro Men and Women of Kentucky.
"Opportunity came to him, and he seized it," Johnson wrote of Tandy. "Through his indefatigable
efforts a large force of Negro laborers have found steady employment, and thereby obtained
comfortable homes for their families."
Tandy was prominent in the black community, with leadership roles in the "colored" YMCA, the
A.M.E. Church, black fraternal organizations and the Colored Fair Association, which organized
Kentucky's largest annual exposition for blacks. He was active in the National Negro Business
League and spoke at its national convention in 1902.
Byrd died in 1909, and Tandy retired in 1911 after finishing Roark and Sullivan halls at
Eastern Kentucky University. But he continued dabbling in real estate and got into the livery
and undertaking business. Tandy died in 1918, and he has one of the biggest monuments at Cove
Haven Cemetery.
Although Tandy got little formal education, he made sure his son did.
Vertner Woodson Tandy studied under Booker T. Washington at Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. He
finished his studies at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., where he was one of seven founders
of Alpha Phi Alpha, the first black college fraternity. He was the first black to pass the
military commissioning exam, and he eventually became a major in the New York National Guard.
Tandy would become New York's first black registered architect, and the first black member of
the American Institute of Architects. Among many buildings he designed was St. Philip's
Episcopal Church in Harlem and two mansions for America's first black woman millionaire, the
hair-care products pioneer Madam C.J. Walker.
The Villa Lewaro mansion Tandy designed for Walker in exclusive Irvington-on-Hudson, N.Y., was
restored in the 1990s by Harold Doley, the first black to buy an individual seat on the New
York Stock Exchange.
Tandy designed one building in Lexington that still stands: Webster Hall, which housed teachers
at Chandler Normal School for blacks on Georgetown Street, which he had attended.
Vertner Tandy died in 1949 at age 64. A state historical marker honoring him stands beside the
family home on West Main Street, which is now used for offices.
Read more here:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/tom-
eblen/article44471772.html#storylink=cpy

his more known son (the one who designed that mansion for walker)

59735abcd02413ea1c4358a87f19b3cb.png

Black%2BHistory%2Bmonth%2Bscreen%2B%25232.jpg

Vertner Woodson Tandy

(May 17, 1885 – November 7, 1949) was an American architect.[1] He was one of the seven founders (commonly referred to as "The Seven Jewels") of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity at Cornell University in 1906. He was the first African American registered architect in New York State. Tandy served as the first treasurer of the Alpha chapter and the designer of the fraternity pin.[2] The fraternity became incorporated under his auspices.

Sgxjkwb.jpg

RTMDm09.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

They are going to digitize and make it accessible to the public

Frederick Douglass, Seen Up Close
Yale has acquired a renowned private collection relating to the abolitionist and orator, including rarely seen family scrapbooks that offer a window onto his complicated private life.

merlin_174152952_c8a78053-c16b-406e-9562-b983255275ba-articleLarge.jpg

The newly acquired Frederick Douglass collection includes rare family scrapbooks, letters, manuscripts, ephemera and photographs, like this 1894 portrait of Douglass with his grandson Joseph.Credit...Corbis/Corbis, via Getty Images

• July 3, 2020
In 2006, the historian David Blight had just given a talk about Frederick Douglass in Savannah, Ga., when he was introduced to Walter Evans, a retired surgeon and collector. Dr. Evans invited him to stop by the house and see his Douglass collection. Dr. Blight was cautiously intrigued.

But later, as Dr. Evans began laying out some carefully rebound scrapbooks on his dining room table, he was stunned to see page after page of newspaper clippings, letters and personal reminiscences of the escaped slave who became one of the most famous men in 19th century America.

They were the Douglass family scrapbooks, carefully assembled and annotated by Douglass’s sons — and all but unknown to scholars.

“I was astonished,” Dr. Blight recalled in an interview. “I’m not even sure I knew what I was seeing at first.”

“Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom.” And now, it has been acquired by Yale’s Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, where it will sit alongside materials from African-American artists, writers and activism in its James Weldon Johnson Memorial Collection.

Interest in Douglass (along with prices for Douglass materials) has surged in recent years, in part because of Dr. Blight’s biography, which is being adapted for the screen for Netflix by Barack and Michelle Obama’s production company. Melissa Barton, the Beinecke’s curator of American prose and poetry, called Dr. Evans’s collection the most important known to have remained in private hands.

merlin_174132270_80fc3fe0-9e76-4f1e-9e71-5c33e14dc80a-articleLarge.jpg

The collection includes nine oversized scrapbooks created by Douglass’s sons, which track both his public career and his complicated family life.Credit...Savannah College of Art and Design
“Every few years, you will see small groups of Douglass letters come up at auction,” she said. “But something of this size and scope is really unheard-of.”

The collection includes manuscripts or typescripts of some of Douglass’s most famous orations, including his 1852 speech “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July” and his 1879 eulogy for the white abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison, a mentor with whom he later broke.

There are also photographs, account books, ephemera and letters, including more than 40 from his son Lewis to Lewis’s wife, Amelia, some written while he was at the front with the famed Massachusetts 54th, one of the first Black regiments to fight in the Civil War.

But perhaps the richest and most revealing items, Dr. Blight said, are the family scrapbooks, which track both Douglass’s sprawling public career in the years after the war and his complicated and sometimes scandalous private life.

“If people know anything about Douglass, they know the young Douglass, the heroic former slave who escapes and makes himself into a spectacular orator,” Dr. Blight said. “But this is a window onto the older Douglass — the patriarch, the former radical outsider who is now a kind of political insider. We’ve never known much about that Douglass.”

Over a decade of work on the biography, Dr. Blight made regular visits to Dr. Evans’s dining room, which became an informal reading room for him and other scholars who got wind of Dr. Evans’s collections, which also include material relating to Zora Neale Hurston, Malcolm X, Toussaint L’Ouverture.

merlin_174132312_f290dfa8-c1a1-4906-a9de-ea61ff6bba60-articleLarge.jpg

The historian David Blight, right, began work on his 2018 biography of Frederick Douglass after a chance meeting with Walter Evans, left, whose extensive Douglass collection has been acquired by Yale.Credit...Linda J. Evans

Dr. Evans, also a leading collector of African-American art, acquired the bulk of the Douglass collection in the 1980s from a dealer. He described his historic house in Savannah as so crammed with an estimated 100,000 rare books and manuscripts that even his wife never entered some rooms.

On one visit, after Dr. Blight recalled once meeting Jacob Lawrence, Dr. Evans took him to a closet where the artist’s print series “The Legend of John Brown” was stacked against a wall. On another, Dr. Blight mentioned a previous book project relating to James Baldwin.

“Walter said, ‘Oh, Jimmy? Go back in the TV room on the right. I have about 100 Baldwin letters,” he said.

The Beinecke acquired the Baldwin letters in 2013. The Douglass acquisition, Dr. Blight said, was the result of “a long courtship” (with no shortage of suitors, Dr. Evans noted).

The Beinecke, citing library policy, would not disclose any financial terms of the Douglass acquisition. But the library did note that it was also receiving roughly 200 drawings by the pioneering 20th-century African-American political cartoonist Oliver Wendell Harrington from Dr. Evans by donation.

Dr. Barton, the curator, said the scrapbooks — made during the 19th-century heyday of scrapbooking — are particularly rich and rare, giving a glimpse not just of Douglass’s public and private life, but of the way it was curated by his family. “Their self-consciousness about their role in history is fascinating,” she said.

In one, letters from prominent figures like Sen. Charles Sumner, the African-American abolitionist Martin Delaney and the poet John Greenleaf Whittier are pasted in. There are also handwritten personal narratives by two of his sons, including one called “Some Incidents of the Home Life of Frederick Douglass.” They offer insights not just into Douglass, Dr. Blight said, but also into his 44-year marriage to Anna Murray, a free Black woman who helped him escape from slavery in 1838.

merlin_174132273_47152b9c-f86b-4c74-bc87-f81a3be04b86-articleLarge.jpg

Archivists at Yale’s Beinecke Library unpack a copy of Frederick Douglass’s Paper, part of the Evans collection.Credit...Tubyez Cropper/Beinecke Library
Thousands of newspaper clippings record his public career, which included serving as consul general to Haiti and as superintendent of Washington, D.C. But the scrapbooks don’t just record his triumphs. They also record the public interest in the more complicated parts of his life as patriarch to a large and sometimes difficult extended clan — in its day, “the Black first family of Washington,” as Dr. Blight put it.

One scrapbook is dedicated mostly to the public controversy over his second marriage to Helen Pitts, a white woman 20 years his junior. Other clippings document his sometimes intense rivalries with other Black leaders like John Mercer Langston.

In 1888, Douglass opposed Langston’s bid to become the first Black congressman from Virginia, on the grounds that he was insufficiently loyal to the Republican Party. Instead, he supported Langston’s white opponent, a former Confederate, prompting one editorialist to charge Douglass with “a vain sacrifice of race to the fetish of party and personal pique.”

“Man, the D.C. press got all over that,” Dr. Blight said. “And if one of his sons gets into bankruptcy trouble, that’s in there too.”

Douglass, who died in 1895, was the most photographed American of the 19th century, but his voice was never recorded. Still, it’s his soaring oratory that most vividly endures.

a reading of both the Declaration of Independence and of Douglass’s famous Fourth of July oration of 1852. (This year, it will be online.) Douglass begins with a searing critique of American hypocrisy before offering his white audience a vision of an America that might yet live up to its ideals.

“He rips the throats out of his audience, before lifting them up at the end,” Dr. Blight said. “He says ‘It’s not quite too late. Your nation is still young, still malleable. It’s still possible to save yourselves.’”

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
Post a family that fits your definition of black. I’m interested.

Your opening post already started out wrong. It should have started with this.

Founded by William Jefferson White in 1867. Reconstruction Acts, U.S. legislation enacted in 1867–68 that outlined the conditions under which the Southern states would be readmitted to the Union following the American Civil War (1861–65).

Morehouse College | Morehouse Legacy

220px-W_J_White.jpg

invalid

Banned
Daps
Your opening post already started out wrong. It should have started with this.

Founded by William Jefferson White in 1867. Reconstruction Acts, U.S. legislation enacted in 1867–68 that outlined the conditions under which the Southern states would be readmitted to the Union following the American Civil War (1861–65).

Morehouse College | Morehouse Legacy

220px-W_J_White.jpg

How is Morehouse or the Reconstruction Act germane to my first post?:what: