invalid

Banned
Daps
Is this the home that the Shea Moisture founder bought? I also see that one of the APhiA founders was the architect of the home.

Yep, that’s the guy that acquired the estate. Previously, it was owned by Harold Doley, who was founder of the oldest African American investment bank and was the first and only African American to buy a seat on the New York Stock Exchange. He graduated from Xavier University of Louisiana and Harvard.

madam-walkers-villa-irvington-usa-shutterstock-editorial-6498272b.jpg

Doley was also Ambassador to South Africa and has done a lot to assist in various African economic and infrastructure projects.

images

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Great thread it's no coincidence when you see certain ppl get put on compared to others with natural god given talent as well I came across this podcast after listening to Cam'ron interview n it all made sense alot of these Industry & political ppl are born into money and resources. Alot if ppl don't understand the politics behind the scenes that's why it's so easy for ppl to get caught up in the hype

This all goes back to the old adage- it’s who you know, not always what you know, and who you’re connected to. That’s why I have a lot of respect for people who strive from the ground up because they appreciate where they came from and know the time/effort it took to get where they are. I also respect people who had access through networking and connections that don’t feel entitled by helping those who may not have the same options by extending their circle, without making people feel like outsiders.

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This all goes back to the old adage- it’s who you know, not always what you know, and who you’re connected to. That’s why I have a lot of respect for people who strive from the ground up because they appreciate where they came from and know the time/effort it took to get where they are. I also respect people who had access through networking and connections that don’t feel entitled by helping those who may not have the same options by extending their circle, without making people feel like outsiders.
So true I had an epiphany back in September n i had to put my ego to the side n start back reaching out to ppl in high positions to help me get to where I wanna be but it's not bout me but I'm trying to help some individuals I know that has the talent and I'm trying to help them get away from the streets. It's crazy but God puts us in certain circumstances for a reason and we see the shyt early at young ages sometimes we gotta go through shyt to get to where we dreamed of being. That's why it's very important who you interact with build relationships with because they come n go in your life for a reason alot of us are blessed to get 2nd & 3rd chances in life can't take things for granted you gotta use ppl for who they are you don't have to personally like a person to do business with them but I understand we all have threshold when it comes to integrity and dignity:salute:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Oh! Stunted she did!

Her house - Villa Lewaro in the Hudson Valley town of Irvington, NY

141022_blog-photo_villa-lewaro_group-in-front.gif

home-design.jpg

c2d1e191-77b9-4174-ad1a-07a22d6c7f99-Model_T.jpg

The Walker’s Harlem Residence known as “The Dark Tower”.

Dark%20Tower_exterior_cr%20Byron%20Company%20(New%20York,%20N.Y.)%20%20Museum%20of%20the%20City%20of%20New%20York.%2093.1.1.10838_orig.jpg

In 1920s Harlem, everyone clamored for an invitation to one place: a grand townhouse on West 136th Street.

There, in what was known as the Dark Tower, arts patron A’Lelia Walker threw lavish parties attended by poets and writers and artists and musicians and activists of the Harlem Renaissance: Countee Cullen (whose poem “From the Dark Tower” inspired the eventual name for Walker’s space), Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, W.E.B. Du Bois, Muriel Draper, Nora ****, Witter Bynner, Andy Razaf, Taylor Gordon, Carl Van Vechten, Clarence Darrow, Alberta Hunter, James Weldon Johnson.

Langston Hughes called Walker “the joy goddess of Harlem’s 1920s.” He wrote in his 1940 autobiography The Big Sea:

“A’Lelia Walker had an apartment that held perhaps a hundred people. She would usually issue several hundred invitations to each party. Unless you went early there was no possible way of getting in. Her parties were as crowded as the New York subway at the rush hour—entrance, lobby, steps, hallway, and apartment a milling crush of guests, with everybody seeming to enjoy the crowding.”

Indeed, these salon-like parties helped to shape the Harlem Renaissance. And Walker—with her seemingly endless generosity, charisma, and fashion-forward sensibilities—was a perfect host. She brought people together. She created a supportive, welcoming environment for artists to gather.

A’lelia Walker -

home-design.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The Walker’s Harlem Residence known as “The Dark Tower”.

Dark%20Tower_exterior_cr%20Byron%20Company%20(New%20York,%20N.Y.)%20%20Museum%20of%20the%20City%20of%20New%20York.%2093.1.1.10838_orig.jpg

A’lelia Walker -

home-design.jpg
Good post. Harlem Renaissance is usually written about as being completely funded by white patrons. I bought into that line of thinking before.

So, the woman you met carries her great grandmother's name. It's a beautiful name. The fact that she carries a non traditional name..is a bit of a testament to Walker's family not buying into elite rules.

On the low, the fact that she carries MCJW's physical traits four generations later is a testament to that too.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
This thread has been a meaty read, from start to finish! Have truly learned a lot...mostly that I don’t know much lol.

It is truly a small world.

For close to a month now, I’ve had the name “Ann Dibble Jordan” scribbled on the whiteboard in my room. I wrote it there a few weeks ago as part of some notes I was taking after watching a video of someone I am researching. I have seen that name on my board each day since and paid it no mind.

Before today and reading this thread, all I knew of this Jordan person was that she did undergrad and graduated from the same school around the same time as the elder I’m currently researching and trying to ask out to interview myself. I had planned to ask said elder about who this Jordan person was and what their experiences together had been like...

Then I come on here and learn she is a part of an American Black elite family ...I swear, sometimes I really glean some gems on this site.

invalid

Banned
Daps
is a bit of a testament to Walker's family not buying into elite rules.

On the low, the fact that she carries MCJW's physical traits four generations later is a testament to that too.

Well, not exactly......
A’lelia Walker married three times but was not able to bear children. Her daughter, Mae Walker Perry, was adopted.

545f06f03895a62a10a393b34931a9b9.jpg

I had always heard that she was picked on the basis of her looks because she could serve in helping sell the Walker product. There was some truth to that.

A’lelia says -

My late mother, A’Lelia Mae Perry Bundles, was a long time executive of the Walker Company and the fourth woman in her family to serve as a company officer and estate trustee. Her mother, Mae Walker Perry–who was legally adopted by A’Lelia Walker–traveled with Madam Walker as a model, whose very long hair became an advertisement for Walker’s “Wonderful Hair Grower.”

In any event, she was fully recognized as A’lelia’s daughter who threw for her the “million dollar” wedding of the century after she graduated from Spelman Institute.

9fc5bc9305ceed0d7080f37b4fbe7d5d.jpg

mae-w-wedding-party2.jpg

mae-w-wedding-party1.jpg

Mae Walker Perry’s only daughter was A’lelia Mae Perry Bundles, who is A’lelia Bundle’s mother. This is her with her husband - S. Henry Bundles.

1957-SHB-and-AMB-Walker-Building-circa-222x300.jpeg

A 1948 graduate of Indiana University, he is believed to be the first black student to earn a degree from IU’s School of Journalism. It was a sign of the times that despite this degree and his experience as a photographer and reporter during his stint in the Navy during World War II no Indianapolis daily newspapers would hire him in an editorial position because he was Black. Undeterred, he became a circulation manager and learned the business side of journalism while mentoring and managing the young Attucks students who delivered papers.

He married A’Lelia Mae Perry Bundles in June 1950. A few years later, he became sales and advertising manager for the Madam C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company, the firm founded by her great-grandmother. He was so successful at sales and business development that he was hired as president and CEO of Summit Laboratories, an international hair care company that he led to regular rankings on the Black Enterprise 100.

Henry Bundles was a long-time community leader who broke barriers on many boards and organizations as a director of the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association and of the Indianapolis 500 Festival. He was a founding director of Midwest National Bank and advocated for minority businesses as chairman of the Indianapolis Business Development Foundation. Henry was a co-founder of IU’s Neal-Marshall Alumni Club created to increase African American alumni participation and remained devoted to his alma mater.

After A’Lelia Mae Perry Bundles died in 1976, Henry helped launch Center for Leadership Development (CLD), an organization designed to prepare youth of color to become professional, business and community leaders. When he retired in 2000, he and his team had mentored more than 5,000 Central Indiana students including more than 80% who went on to college. When he was honored at CLD’s fortieth anniversary celebration in 2017, the organization had grown to serve more than 2,000 students each year. It is a testament to the institution he helped build that CLD recently awarded more than $5 million in scholarships at its 2019 annual Minority Achievers Awards and Scholarship Gala.

Henry also pledged the Alpha Chapter of KAPsi at Indiana.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Then I come on here and learn she is a part of an American Black elite family ...I swear, sometimes I really glean some gems on this site.

Yep. Jordan at one point was one of the most powerful women in Washington and still has loads of clout.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Well, not exactly......
A’lelia Walker married three times but was not able to bear children. Her daughter, Mae Walker Perry, was adopted.

545f06f03895a62a10a393b34931a9b9.jpg

I had always heard that she was picked on the basis of her looks because she could serve in helping sell the Walker product. There was some truth to that.

A’lelia says -

In any event, she was fully recognized as A’lelia’s daughter who threw for her the “million dollar” wedding of the century after she graduated from Spelman Institute.

9fc5bc9305ceed0d7080f37b4fbe7d5d.jpg

mae-w-wedding-party2.jpg

mae-w-wedding-party1.jpg

Mae Walker Perry’s only daughter was A’lelia Mae Perry Bundles, who is A’lelia Bundle’s mother. This is her with her husband - S. Henry Bundles.

1957-SHB-and-AMB-Walker-Building-circa-222x300.jpeg

Henry also pledged the Alpha Chapter of KAPsi at Indiana.
Thanks

This is the second time I've made comments about children and physical features in these circles, only to be foiled/corrected by the adoption reveal.
The first time it was about LOG's son, now it's about MCJW's great great grandaughter.

giphy.gif

Kenwins01

Pro
Daps
I'm going to stop here cause this family is very extensive and literally every person has some high ranking position and high academic pedigree.

Most Americans don't know of this very powerful black dynasty that has had its hand in Ambassadorships, Wall Street Law and Investment Banking Firms, Medicine, and the White House. Just absolute generation after generation of black excellence.

Hopefully, folks can add on to this thread. May need to get moved to the Root.
Good shyt op

invalid

Banned
Daps
I was cleaning out a cabinet of files and came upon an old Goodman Theatre playbill that featured actress Lizzy Cooper Davis. I know Lizzy as an acquaintance but she is really close to the family of my best friend. Lizzy, from what I gathered, is brilliant - extremely educated, and very gracious. And I knew she came from a talented family but not exactly to what extent. From what I've found out, I may have to revise the original premise of this thread. Lizzy's family is up there with the Jarrett-Dibble and Mossell Clans already featured, and possibly tops them.

cooper-davis-lizzy.jpg

Lizzy has a B.A. from Brown University, an A.M. from Harvard University, an M.A. from New York University, and a Ph.D. from Harvard University

Lizzy Cooper Davis is Assistant Professor of Applied Theater at Emerson College. She is an artist and scholar interested in how the arts can facilitate community conversation, resistance, and change. Particularly focused on black freedom movements, she has conducted research in Cuba, Brazil, and New Orleans, and her current project examines the cultural workers of the civil rights era. She has performed nationally as an actor in such theaters as Second Stage, The Public Theater, The Long Wharf, Berkeley Rep, and The American Repertory Theater and with such directors as Liesl Tommy, Anne Bogart, and Mary Zimmerman. She has also worked in television, film, and radio.

Lizzy's parents are Gordon and Peggy Cooper Davis.

Gordon Davis

davis_gordon.jpg

Born in Chicago
Education: The Francis Parker School, Williams College, Columbia University, Harvard Law School
Founder of Gargoyle at Williams College and Harvard Law Schools's Black Law Students Association (BLSA) one of the first in the country.

Davis was a prominent leader in New York City's public, civic, and legal affairs for four decades. Davis was one of the first African Americans to become a partner in a major New York corporate law firm (Lord Day & Lord, 1983). He was Mayor Ed Koch's first New York City Parks Commissioner and is considered one of New York’s most successful parks commissioners. Since 2012, Davis has been a partner in the New York office of the law firm Venable LLP

Peggy Cooper Davis

2008fac_Davis_portrait_300high.jpg

Education: Western College for Women, Barnard College, Harvard Law School

Davis became the first African American female professor at Rutgers University School of Law in 1977, where she taught criminal procedure and civil rights law. Davis worked as the deputy criminal justice coordinator for the City of New York in 1978, before serving as judge of the Family Court of the State of New York from 1980 to 1983. In September of 1983, Davis joined the New York University School of Law faculty, where she taught lawyering, evidence, and family law. In 1986, she obtained a full time professorship, and was named the John S. R. Shad Professor of Lawyering and Ethics at New York University School of Law in 1992.

Lizzy's uncle and the brother of Gordon Davis is Allison Stubbs Davis

Allison Stubbs Davis

AllisonDavis.JPG

Education: Cushing Academy, University of Chicago Laboratory School, Grinnell College, Northwestern University

After graduating from law school, Davis moved to Mali, where he worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development coordinating smallpox eradication efforts and vocational training for three years. After returning to Chicago in 1967, Davis accepted a legal position at the Metropolitan Housing and Planning Council. In 1969, Davis helped co-found the Chicago Council of Lawyers, a group focused on electing judges based on a merit system. In 1971, Davis co-founded Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland law firm in Chicago, focused on civil rights litigation. The firm hired Carol Moseley Braun, who went on to become the first African American female U.S. Senator and Barack Obama as a recent graduate of Harvard Law School.

Gordon and Allison Davis' parents are William Boyd Allison and Elizabeth Stubbs Davis

William Boyd Allison Davis

Lost-Black-Scholar-Larger-Cover.jpg

4178b03dc74131fb73859560a9f3599b.jpg

An educator, anthropologist, writer, researcher, and scholar, William Boyd Allison Davis was considered one of the most promising black scholars of his generation. He became the first African-American to hold a full faculty position at a major white university when he joined the staff of the University of Chicago in 1942, where he would spend the balance of his academic life. Among his students during his tenure at the University of Chicago were anthropologist St. Clair Drake and sociologist Nathan Hare. Davis, who has been honored with a commemorative postage stamp by the United States Postal Service, is best remembered for his pioneering anthropology research on southern race and class during the 1930s, his research on intelligence quotient in the 1940s and 50’s, and his support of “compensatory education” that contributed to the intellectual genesis of the federal program Head Start.
  • 1942 Social Anthropology Ph.D.; University of Chicago
  • 1925 BA English; Harvard University
  • Anthropology; London School of Economics
  • 1924 BA summa cum laude English; William College
  • Dissertation: The Relation between Color Caste and Economic Stratification in Two Black Plantation Counties.
  • Areas of research interest: acculturation, race and social class, child development, personality and intelligence
  • Awarded Julian Rosenwald Fellowships in Anthropology 1932, 1939, 1940.
  • Professor of Anthropology, Head of the Division of Social Studies, Dillard University 1935-1940.
  • Professor in the Department of Education, University of Chicago 1942 (first Black professor); Full Professor in 1948; John Dewey Distinguished Service Professor of Education, 1970.
  • First educator to become a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
  • Selected Publications: Children of Bondage: The Personality Development of Negro Youth in the Urban South (1940, co-authored with John Dollard), Deep South: A Social Anthropological Study of Caste and Class (1941, co-authored with Burleigh and Mary Gardner), Intelligence and Cultural Differences: A Study of Cultural Learning and Problem-solving (1951, co-authored with Kenneth Eells, Robert Havighurst, Virgil Herrick, and Ralph Tyler)

Alice Elizabeth Stubbs Davis

rut36xuz_large.jpg

Not much is documented on Elizabeth Stubbs Davis except some things in relation to her husband. However, it is known that she was very exceptional, and along with her husband was one of the first black anthropologist in the nation. She graduated from Mount Holyoke College and possibly both Harvard and the University of London and after marrying Allison Davis, assisted him on much of his research.

I will revisit Elizabeth as she connects the Davises to another black dynasty.

William Boyd Allison Davis’ brother was John Aubrey Davis whom was married to Mavis Wormley Davis.

John Aubrey Davis

davis_j_a_large.jpg

Educator and civil rights advocate John A. Davis Sr. began his career in activism in the 1930s as leader of the New Negro Alliance, which pressured businesses to hire black employees. Two decades later he assisted with the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court case. He also was chairman of the department of political science at City College of New York.

He graduated from Williams College in 1933 and received an M.A. from the University of Wisconsin the following year. In 1936 he received a Rosenwald Foundation fellowship to complete his doctoral work at Columbia University, earning his Ph.D. in 1949.

He taught political science at Howard University, and in 1935 became a full professor at Lincoln University. In 1953 he joined the political science department at City College of New York as associate professor, becoming one of only about two dozen black faculty at predominately white institutions in the United States. He eventually became chair of the department. He retired in 1980.

Mavis Elizabeth Wormley Davis

Mavis_W_Davis_large.jpg

Like her sister-in-law, Elizabeth Stubbs Davis, not much is written up on Mavis. However, it is also known that she was exceptional as well. She was a library scientist as well as a published scholar and assisted her husband on many of his published works.

Like Elizabeth, I will revisit Mavis as she also connects the Davises to another powerful black dynasty.

W.B. Allison and John Aubrey’s father was John Abraham Davis.

John Abraham Davis

24davis1web-articleLarge.jpg

J. Abraham Davis and Family. John is seated in the middle.

24davis2web-jumbo.jpg

John seated at far left with the white men that he supervised.

Here is a NYT article that Gordon Davis, Lizzy’s father, wrote about his grandfather John Abraham and is a great case for reparations due to their family.

Opinion | What Woodrow Wilson Cost My Grandfather

OVER the last week, a growing number of students at Princeton have demanded that the university confront the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson, who served as its president before becoming New Jersey’s governor and the 28th president of the United States. Among other things, the students are demanding that Wilson’s name be removed from university facilities.

Wilson, a Virginia-born Democrat, is mostly remembered as a progressive, internationalist statesman, a benign and wise leader, a father of modern American political science and one of our nation’s great presidents.

But he was also an avowed racist. And unlike many of his predecessors and successors in the White House, he put that racism into action through public policy. Most notably, his administration oversaw the segregation of the federal government, destroying the careers of thousands of talented and accomplished black civil servants — including John Abraham Davis, my paternal grandfather.

An African-American born in 1862 to a prominent white Washington lawyer and his black “housekeeper,” my grandfather was a smart, ambitious and handsome young black man. He emulated his idol, Theodore Roosevelt, in style and dress. He walked away from whatever assistance his father might have offered to his unacknowledged black offspring and graduated at the top of his class from Washington’s M Street High School (later the renowned all-black Dunbar High School.

Even as the strictures of Jim Crow segregation began to harden in the South, Washington, and the federal Civil Service, offered African-Americans real opportunity for employment and advancement. Thousands passed the civil-service exam to gain coveted spots in government agencies and departments. In 1882, soon after graduating from high school, the young John Davis secured a job at the Government Printing Office.

Over a long career, he rose through the ranks from laborer to a position in midlevel management. He supervised an office in which many of his employees were white men. He had a farm in Virginia and a home in Washington. By 1908, he was earning the considerable salary — for an African-American — of $1,400 per year.

But only months after Woodrow Wilson was sworn in as president in 1913, my grandfather was demoted. He was shuttled from department to department in various menial jobs, and eventually became a messenger in the War Department, where he made only $720 a year.......

See above link for full article.

Gonna stop here with the direct Davis line and explore Elizabeth Stubbs Davis and Mavis Wormley Davis, both of whom come from equally substantial families with top notch pedigrees that jettison out in every direction.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I’m not sure who these folks are but it’s well known that many of the most snobbish black families got their start running numbers or selling booze and then purchased a business or real estate to clean up the money. It be the families that be trying to hard.

Was reading a book recommended by @xoxodede, and ran into this passage. Immediately thought of this thread and post.
The numbers industry in Harlem.

"You did give me a couple of books to read. And helped me build the brothers. But I was your ticket out of a boring life......when your rich doctor daddy was making house calls at Harlem General.What's up with that? "

just jokes

The "Boule" was getting it in.

Chapter was about Madame St. Clair, but it covered all the different communities that were involved in games of chance.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
In the Face of What We Remember:Oral Histories of 409 and 555 Edgecombe Avenue

The definitive narrative of two of Harlem’s most noted addresses
(preview)

409 Edgecombe Avenue, NYC
729175-360-W.png

555 Edgecombe Avenue, NYC

237px-555_Edgecombe_Avenue_from_north.jpg

Have these buildings been kept up? I would presume that they may be overrun by whites by now, with gentrification and such?

I have a cousin that became a well-regarded Harlem doctor during the Harlem Renaissance even though he wasn’t originally from NYC . I have to see where he lived.

Last edited: