get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
=============================================================
Netflix Sets Premiere Date For ‘Self Made: Inspired By The Life Of Madam C.J. Walker’, Unveils First Look At Octavia Spencer Limited Series
mcjw_102_unit_01582rc.jpg

Netflix has unveiled the official title and premiere date for their previously announced C.J. Walker project starring Octavia Spencer. The four-part limited series Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker will debut on the streaming platform March 20. Netflix also released the first look at Spencer as the iconic figure in history.

Debut tonight.

invalid

Banned
Daps
when you think about it, there should be quite a few afro-canadians who descend from many of the influential afroamericans who fled to canada; although, many of those aframs came back to the USA years/decades, later

Yep you’re right. Lots of afro-Canadian descendants of influential American families still up there. All of my Shreve cousins who are descendants of the Shadd - Purnells are all still in Ontario around Buxton, Windsor, Chatham and Amherstberg and Detroit. Lots of other relatives of abolitionist families stayed as well.

My grandmother and her sisters all have dual Canadian citizenship because of their father who was born in Chatham-Kent, Ontario. But my family branch left for Detroit and Chicago.

This is my 3rd great grand uncle.

Abraham Doras Shadd was born in Wilmington, Delaware on March 2, 1801. He was the grandson of a Hans Shadd and a free Black woman, Elizabeth Jackson. In 1775, Hans came to the United States from Hesse Kassel, Germany, as a soldier in the Hessian troops hired by King George III to reinforce the British troops in the French Indian War. He was wounded at Chads Ford and was nursed back to health at the home of Elizabeth Jackson. Hans married her daughter, also named Elizabeth. They had two sons, Hans and Jeremiah. Jeremiah was the father of Abraham Shadd.

Abraham Doras Shadd

James Purnell was married to Julia Ann Shadd, the cousin of the remarkable Mary Ann Shadd Cary.

Mary Ann Shadd Cary of Wilmington and Chatham was a teacher, journalist, and leader of the black Canadian emigration movement of the 1850s. Mary was the daughter of Abraham and Harriett Parnell Shadd, who were prosperous abolitionist from Wilmington, Deleware. After moving their family to Chatham, Ontario, they took up many anti-slavery causes. Mary graduated from Howard Law School, returning to Chatham to teach the children of escaped slaves. Following the steps of her activist family, she began to write of the hypocrisy of the United States, which had identified as a democracy, yet supported slavery. She eventually abandoned teaching and turned to journalism, taking over the Provincial Freeman in Windsor, Ontario in 1853. As the primary editor of the Freeman, Shadd traveled throughout Ontario and parts of the United States writing essays about her travels, revealing her support for sex and race equality.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yep you’re right. Lots of afro-Canadian descendants of influential American families still up there. All of my Shreve cousins who are descendants of the Shadd - Purnells are all still in Ontario around Buxton, Windsor, Chatham and Amherstberg and Detroit. Lots of other relatives of abolitionist families stayed as well.

related

Family Histories | Amherstburg Freedom Museum

My grandmother and her sisters all have dual Canadian citizenship because of their father who was born in Chatham-Kent, Ontario. But my family branch left for Detroit and Chicago.

Are you connected to the Bingas? They did the South->Canada->South and/or Chicago and Detroit route too

PEkUTDg.jpg

BingaMarker.jpg

But baseball isn’t the only cultural sphere in which William H. Binga plays a part. He’s also a member of an extended family tree that has had an enormous impact not only in Detroit antiquity, but also in the rich tradition of African-American dissent, resistance, and self-reliance.

That genealogy includes a father and son, both abolitionists and ministers, who fled slavery in antebellum Kentucky, traveled north to Michigan via the Underground Railroad, and initially laid roots in Detroit. In addition, the family tree includes Jesse Binga, one of the first successful, self-made black bankers in the country, as well as H. Binga Dismond, a record-breaking track star-turned groundbreaking physician.

Also part of the Binga legacy is current Detroit native C. Rae White, a living Binga descendant and a distant relative of Negro Leagues star William Binga. White, an educator and blogger who has done extensive research into her ancestors, has also diligently worked to place the talented baseball player into the context of her influential family.

“I’m totally proud and happy that William H. Binga followed his dreams, becoming a noted player in the Negro Leagues,” she says. “The black athletes who pioneered and persevered within the segregated sport of baseball are to be revered and honored, and I am so proud to have an ancestor who fought for his right to play ball.

The story of the Binga family begins in late September 1836, when Anthony Binga Sr. and his siblings — all first cousins to C. Rae White’s third great-grandfather — escaped from slavery in Campbell County, Ky. and headed north to freedom.

Many of those freedom seekers, including Anthony Binga Sr. and Jr., relocated to Amherstburg, Ontario. In Detroit, other branches of the Binga family were busy establishing self-contained communities. One of those locales was Binga Row, a group of tenement apartments near Ohio and Hastings streets owned by William W. Binga and C. Rae White’s third great-grandfather, and administered by his wife, Adelphia.

He's No Longer Forgotten - Hour Detroit Magazine

invalid

Banned
Daps
@IllmaticDelta

You inadvertently just knocked on the front doors steps of my family. :merchant:

Ah.. fukk it.

I'm putting all of these other folks business out there, I would be a hypocrite to feign privacy.

Don't do too much research though, you gonna find all of our skeletons. :hubie:

I mentioned on here before that two branches of my family were at the "center" of black society in two cities. One is Atlanta and the other is Detroit. Members of my family are mentioned in every book written about the black elite.

Detroit

This is my cousin Barbara Kay.

Dr. Barbara Hughes-Smith | Amherstburg Freedom Museum

Her mother and my great grandfather (whom I mentioned was born in Canada) are first cousins.

Her mother - Roberta Hughes Wright

Roberta Hughes Wright, widow of museum founder, dies

Roberta's husband was Dr. Charles H. Wright.

Yes, that Dr. Charles H. Wright.

DKLUllaUEAA_4-b.png

Roberta was the Chairman of the museum but unfortunately just passed away last year.

Barbara Kay was/is Vice Chairman of the Charles H. Wright Musuem but is also the Director of the Amherstberg Freedom Fighter Musuem.

An uncle of Roberta and my great grandfather married a woman from the Stubb family whom I just highlighted a few post above.

Are you connected to the Bingas? They did the South->Canada->South and/or Chicago and Detroit route too

Yes. "C. Rae White" is my cousin Claudia. She does most of the research on our Binga line.

If you look at the Binga link listed on the Amherstberg site that you posted above, you will see a detailed history of the Bingas.

:hubie:

The Harlem Renaissance was a pivotal moment in the history of black culture. I got interested in its history when researching a relative of mine, Dr. Binga Dismond, who was a Harlem doctor at the time and entertained many of these individuals. I wanted to know about the lives of those that pushed the culture during this period and in researching you will come upon this information. All of this is common knowledge so I am not sure how this has went over folks heads.

My cousin, Dr. Binga Dismond, stayed at 245 west 139th street which was in Harlem’s Strivers Row section.

Wilbur Hughes was the grandson of Hannah Binga and Samuel Hughes. Hannah Binga was the daughter of Rev. Anthony Binga.
Wilbur Hughes is the father of my cousin Barbara K. Hughes Smith and the first husband of my cousin Roberta Hughes Wright.

I'm a direct descendant of a Binga as well but I am not going to say because it would be very easy to find out who I am. :lolbron:

Jesse Binga of Chicago became the wealthiest black man in the country when he founded Binga State Bank.
Coincidentally, I also work in banking.
Jesse gifted my great grandfather with a grand piano on his 5th birthday. My great grandfather went on to become a classically trained pianist.
Although Jesse became the wealthiest black man in Chicago, he was not accepted as "our kind of people" - well especially his wife Eudora whom the black elites hated. Her brother was a famous policy king - John "Mushmouth" Johnson.
He left Eudora a fortune when he died.

My cousin Binga Dismond was a son of William Binga who was the brother of the Binga for whom I descend and the uncle of Anthony Binga.

Binga Dismond was a notable Harlem Doctor.

Dismond went out to East Hampton and founded what became a historic summer community of the black elite, Sag Harbor.

@SourPowerStraws This is why I know alot about the Hamptons, fyi.

B. Smith had a summer home in Sag Harbor.

image.JPG

BN-RW985_0202SM_M_20170131153617.jpg

Binga Dismond's wife - Geraldyn Hodges Dismond Major aka Gerri Major authored Black Society

518tHloHNdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Black Society was the original Our Kind of People.

It has really great history of the black elites and include pedigrees and very detailed info on, for instance, the family of Absalom Jones - the Abeles and their connection to what was called the "Washingtonian Triumvirate" - the Cook - Wormley - Syphax families.

If you don't have it try to get it.

Difference between Black Society and OKOP is that Black Society spotlighted the Old Antebellum Black Aristocracy whereas OKOP spotlighted the newer elites post-Great Depression/Great Migrations.

All of these folks are my grandmother's father's people.
Her maternal side were Free People of Color from Ohio.

I can really go more into detail but I've given enough information where if you dig a little further you could find out who I am and I would like to stay anonymous on this board, at least, because I wild out.......sometimes-lol.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta

You inadvertently just knocked on the front doors steps of my family. :merchant:

Ah.. fukk it.

I'm putting all of these other folks business out there, I would be a hypocrite to feign privacy.

Don't do too much research though, you gonna find all of our skeletons. :hubie:

:pachaha:

I mentioned on here before that two branches of my family were at the "center" of black society in two cities. One is Atlanta and the other is Detroit. Members of my family are mentioned in every book written about the black elite.

Detroit

This is my cousin Barbara Kay.

Dr. Barbara Hughes-Smith | Amherstburg Freedom Museum

Her mother and my great grandfather (whom I mentioned was born in Canada) are first cousins.

Her mother - Roberta Hughes Wright

Roberta Hughes Wright, widow of museum founder, dies

Roberta's husband was Dr. Charles H. Wright.

Yes, that Dr. Charles H. Wright.

DKLUllaUEAA_4-b.png

Roberta was the Chairman of the museum but unfortunately just passed away last year.

Barbara Kay was/is Vice Chairman of the Charles H. Wright Musuem but is also the Director of the Amherstberg Freedom Fighter Musuem.

An uncle of Roberta and my great grandfather married a woman from the Stubb family whom I just highlighted a few post above.

Yes. "C. Rae White" is my cousin Claudia. She does most of the research on our Binga line.

If you look at the Binga link listed on the Amherstberg site that you posted above, you will see a detailed history of the Bingas.

Wilbur Hughes was the grandson of Hannah Binga and Samuel Hughes. Hannah Binga was the daughter of Rev. Anthony Binga.
Wilbur Hughes is the father of my cousin Barbara K. Hughes Smith and the first husband of my cousin Roberta Hughes Wright.

I'm a direct descendant of a Binga as well but I am not going to say because it would be very easy to find out who I am. :lolbron:

Jesse Binga of Chicago became the wealthiest black man in the country when he founded Binga State Bank.
Coincidentally, I also work in banking.
Jesse gifted my great grandfather with a grand piano on his 5th birthday. My great grandfather went on to become a classically trained pianist.
Although Jesse became the wealthiest black man in Chicago, he was not accepted as "our kind of people" - well especially his wife Eudora whom the black elites hated. Her brother was a famous policy king - John "Mushmouth" Johnson.
He left Eudora a fortune when he died.

My cousin Binga Dismond was a son of William Binga who was the brother of the Binga for whom I descend and the uncle of Anthony Binga.

Binga Dismond was a notable Harlem Doctor.

Dismond went out to East Hampton and founded what became a historic summer community of the black elite, Sag Harbor.

@SourPowerStraws This is why I know alot about the Hamptons, fyi.

B. Smith had a summer home in Sag Harbor.

image.JPG

BN-RW985_0202SM_M_20170131153617.jpg

Binga Dismond's wife - Geraldyn Hodges Dismond Major aka Gerri Major authored Black Society

:ehh::lawd:

518tHloHNdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Black Society was the original Our Kind of People.

It has really great history of the black elites and include pedigrees and very detailed info on, for instance, the family of Absalom Jones - the Abeles and their connection to what was called the "Washingtonian Triumvirate" - the Cook - Wormley - Syphax families.

If you don't have it try to get it.

Difference between Black Society and OKOP is that Black Society spotlighted the Old Antebellum Black Aristocracy whereas OKOP spotlighted the newer elites post-Great Depression/Great Migrations.

All of these folks are my grandmother's father's people.
Her maternal side were Free People of Color from Ohio.

I saw a book with a similar theme from the 1800s but I can't remember the name right now

I can really go more into detail but I've given enough information where if you dig a little further you could find out who I am and I would like to stay anonymous on this board, at least, because I wild out.......sometimes-lol.

:russ:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
What did you think of it?

It looks like the reviews are too favorable on here...
Thanks to your posts here about their family + the general info I had about her, I was familiar with the details of her story. I say that because they took some creative license with some of those details, as most biopics do. Caused a bit of controversy, which always helps to promote shows/films. Ms. Bundles had to actually address the controversies.
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/mad...lixx-series-controversy.769293/#post-37074719

The last post in the thread reinforces one of the themes of this thread; how these Black families are connected. The director of that doc. from the link is one of the most acclaimed documentary makers in the country(AND a descendant of F.B. Ransom, the attorney for Madam Walker's company) That was his first film project.

I enjoyed the mini series. They were smart to cast Butler and Underwood. Both of them were outstanding and helped to elevate a weak script and directing.The "villain" was a composite character, who was supposed to represent her rival and the snobby elite set who never accepted Walker. I thought they could have used a less heavy handed approach to convey that she was viewed as an outsider, but like you paraphrased Ms Bundles "that set never let her forget that they viewed her as "new" and a washerwoman."

Won't spoil it if you haven't watched it, but as far as the "creative license"..it's 2020 and in this era you already know what's going to be added to the storyline. hehehe

Would like to hear your take once you've seen it.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
CHARLOTTE HAWKINS BROWN AND PALMER MEMORIAL INSTITUTE​

charlotte-hawkins-brown_photo-by-butler-studio-ny_courtesy-of-schlesinger-library_305px.jpg

The granddaughter of former slaves, Brown was born in North Carolina and moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts, when she was five. During her senior year at English High School, she met Alice Freeman Palmer, a former president of Wellesley College. Palmer urged Brown to attend the State Normal School at Salem and provided financial assistance.

After a year in college, Brown accepted a teaching job at a one-room school in rural North Carolina. That was the school she eventually transformed—with the help of many supporters—into an accredited junior college. She renamed the school the Alice Freeman Palmer Memorial Institute (PMI) in honor of her benefactor.

PMI, located in Sedalia, North Carolina, near Greensboro, became a school for upper-class African Americans. Brown raised money for it from Boston-area philanthropists, who formed a “Sedalia Club.” By 1916 the campus contained four buildings.

More than a thousand students attended the school from 1902 to 1970, when it closed. Brown became a nationally recognized educator and received honorary doctorates from Howard, Tuskegee, and other universities. She was the first black woman to serve on the national board of the Young Women’s Christian Association. She died of heart failure in Greensboro in 1961.
museum.jpg

Today the Charlotte Hawkins Brown Museum is housed in the buildings of the Palmer Memorial Institute. The museum links Brown and the school she founded to larger themes in African American history.

Ebony article from 1947 about PMI

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: boy

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I didn’t realize Paul Robeson was connected to the Mossells and Tanners.
You mentioned this family a few times. Who are they? Forgive me if i missed it.

The Walker’s Harlem Residence known as “The Dark Tower”.

Dark%20Tower_exterior_cr%20Byron%20Company%20(New%20York,%20N.Y.)%20%20Museum%20of%20the%20City%20of%20New%20York.%2093.1.1.10838_orig.jpg

A’lelia Walker -

home-design.jpg
My mom was just telling me that her father sort of knew Alelia. He was a chef and had a black Cary Grant vibe about himself that got him into a lot of doors, a regular guy who owned tuxedos. Anyway, when the clubs shut down for the night, she'd invite ppl home to after party. So my grandfather used to chill in that house on occasion.

My family isn't important (that i know of), but a combination of factors puts us in contact with these fancy negroes every generation. In my case, i went to school with them. I know the children of several mentioned in this thread. My bff coming up lived on strivers row. They had a maid. We spent whole summers running back and forth from my house to her's. Her family was amazing and very kind to me, the poor kid who lived in section 8. Others, not so much.

I won't lie, my family has been helped by our associations. But when my mother sent me to school with them, she told me explicitly, ain't gone be no Imitation of Life shyt in here. Go to school with them, socialize, shine, but never come to look down on your own. And even though my head was filled with notions of the talented tenth, when i got to know them, i saw exactly what she meant. That's why i didn't pledge or choose a mate from their circles. My cousin (columbia md) pledged and married into the Atlanta set and basically disappeared from my family.

I think my perspective, and that of my family, is important in understanding the tone of the first few pgs of the thread. It's not just that theyre ls. It's that they've maintained a monopoly on black success and actively exclude those not of their 'set'. Bp expect better of other bp.

Further, they no longer utilize whatever power they've accumulated on behalf of bp. The talented tenth is no longer functional. To underline that point, i could argue that their most visible members are actively working against the 90%, ie valerie jarett, operating very much like a buffer class. Unfortunate bc, as a youngin, i really did believe in the theory.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You mentioned this family a few times. Who are they? Forgive me if i missed it.

The Mossells were the first Uni of Penn graduates of Law and Medicine who were blood relatives to Sadie Tanner Mossell + part of Paul Robeson's extended family

sadie-tanner-mossell-alexander-was-the-first-african-american-woman-to-15676462.png

n0rKahI.jpg

the family were from baltimore, fled to canada, and would later become prominent in pennsylvania

pfAPaKI.jpg

402eB86.jpg

WEWwOdQ.jpg

7uUVlgQ.jpg

Last edited:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
the family were from baltimore, fled to canada, and would later become prominent in pennsylvania
That's interesting. I have some 'Mozelle' family on my father's side. Im not sure of the details, either we keep marrying in or they're a branch, but they like the name enough to occasionally use it as a first name too. I think they might be in the dmv area too. I'll ask.