get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You always come through with the video links. :lolbron:

I have seen bits and pieces of this but have been wanting to finish the whole thing and thought I would have to purchase from PBS if I couldn’t catch it on tv again. So rep for the post.
You're welcome. I was reluctant to post it for two reasons.
1)
First being that it's not completely in line with what the thread topic is. It covers some powerful Chicago names and families but it's not specifically about them

2)
31CNC9W0ctL.jpg

47LyZgV-show-poster2x3-6v3txfy.jpg.resize.200x300.jpg

Doc. came out when Obama was president, so naturally his name is one of the bookends of the title, the other is Dusable.
You, and people from that city understand why a project coming out then would use those 2 men as bookends for the title.

Everybody else would try to run me off the site for posting a doc about African American history with a Haitian and Kenyan on the cover.

just jokes....eheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehehh

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Now that you mention this, my family supported Caesar Mitchell and they are squarely within that Maynard Jackson/Herman J. Russell crowd. Caesar was a roommate of my cousins at Morehouse.

What’s the deal with Keisha?

She came from a poor background and got her jd from a non hbcu or Ivy League school.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Desiree Glapion Rogers
Obama's former Social Secretary

Former CEO of Johnson Publishing Company (Ebony & Jet Magazines)
Former CEO of People's Energy
Former CEO of the Illinois Lottery

Sits on many boards including Allstate, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Children's Museum and many more.

Graduated from Wellesley College

desiree.jpg

valeriedesiree.jpg

2A6742E000000578-0-image-m-109_1436529283242.jpg

Is a descendant of the famous New Orleans Voudou Priestess Marie Laveau Glapion

MarieLaveau_%28Frank_Schneider%29.png

picture-of-marie-laveau.jpg

Marie Laveau (1794–1881) was a Louisiana Creole: descended from the colonial white settlers, black slaves and free people of color of southern Louisiana. For several decades this ‘Voodoo Queen’ held New Orleans spellbound. She staged ceremonies in which participants became possessed by loas (Voodoo spirits); she dispensed charms and potions, even saving several condemned men from the gallows; told fortunes and healed the sick.

Marie Laveau | History of American Women

They say her magic continues beyond the grave. Her tomb is visited by visitors from all across the country.

a871qbx.jpg

Desiree is a former Queen of the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club

zulu_ball_101.jpg

Where her father Roy Glapion Jr., a New Orleans City Councilmen, was President of the Zulus.

84728328_132881762263.jpg

Krewe Zulu

REU-USA_-41.jpg

Checkout that black face :ohlawd:

Her brother, Roy Glapion III, is a noted businessman and Vice President of The Beta Group.

mkDKPk_j_400x400.jpg

Desiree married Chicago businessman John W. Rogers

jrogersjr.jpg

Who is founder and Chairman of Ariel Investments and is one of the richest black men in America.

Ariel-Investments.jpg

John-Rogers-Sr.-Street-Naming-020-4C.jpg

Mellody Hobson is his CEO

Bill+Cosby+Hosts+Gala+35th+Anniversary+Jackie+nGLLC-owpcpx.jpg

John Rogers is a descendant of Black Wall Street Millionaires

His great grandfather was JB Stradford

jb-stradford.jpg

Who owned the Stradford Hotel in Tulsa that was burned down by hating ass cacs.

BpOnJQhIIAAlM91.jpg

But this is a story for another time.

The thing is, they are probably better positioned to receive reparations than any of us. They all got detailed pedigrees and records that traces back to each and every one of their African ancestors. More than what most of us have.

John Rogers and his Stradford family has even traced their slave ancestors back to their Nigerian family. The Stradfords are descendants of Scipio Vaughan, a slave, who is of the same family of Lady Kofo Ademola, who was the first Nigerian woman to graduate from Oxford. And she’s from a royal family. Stradfors are essentially black American royalty with the African royal bloodline to back it up.

—————

Kofo was born to the family of the Lagos lawyer Omoba Eric Olawolu Moore, a member of an Egba royal family, and his wife Aida Arabella (née Vaughan), who descended from Scipio Vaughan (through whom she also had Cherokeeancestry).[6][7] She was a first cousin of Oyinkan, Lady Abayomi and a niece of Oloori Charlotte Obasa.[8] She spent half of her young life in Lagos and the other half in U.K.[9] Ademola was educated at C.M.S. Girls School, Lagos; Vassar College, New York;[10] Portway College, Reading and, from 1931 to 1935, St Hugh's College, Oxford. She earned a degree in education and English from Oxford, while at Oxford she wrote a 21-page autobiography at the insistence of Margery Perham to challenge British stereotypes about Africans, she wrote of her childhood as a mixture of western cultural orientation and African orientation.[9]

Kofoworola Ademola - Wikipedia

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

People are sleeping on the networks that K. Harris is plugged into. People throw the term "boule" around here like an all encompassing slur to mean Black people with wealth. There's a "fukk the boule" sentiment in some circles here. That's all fine and dandy.......................until you're trying to get something done.

The support behind Harris goes beyond pride in seeing fellow soror, BGLO, or HBCU member get on the national ticket. If Harris becomes POTUS, VP or even a cabinet member, she will have a hand in federal appointments and nominations. The circles of people mentioned in this thread are well educated, well accomplished people and certainly there are those among them well qualified for such positions. Harris in the White House would give them unprecedented access to those opportunities.

From what I've read, those types of positions have always held the ultimate weight in those circles. That is one of the reasons that this circle even acknowledged (outsider) Booker T. Washington.He was the U.S. govt.'s go-to Black person in that era, and keeping in his good graces was a good way to be suggested for an important govt. position.

To paraphrase the campaign slogan of her fellow Howard alum, Ras Baraka.....Harris' slogan with elite Black circles is "When I become President, We become President"
IMG_20140513_215345_t580.jpg

invalid

Banned
Daps
People are sleeping on the networks that K. Harris is plugged into. People throw the term "boule" around here like an all encompassing slur to mean Black people with wealth. There's a "fukk the boule" sentiment in some circles here. That's all fine and dandy.......................until you're trying to get something done.

The support behind Harris goes beyond pride in seeing fellow soror, BGLO, or HBCU member get on the national ticket. If Harris becomes POTUS, VP or even a cabinet member, she will have a hand in federal appointments and nominations. The circles of people mentioned in this thread are well educated, well accomplished people and certainly there are those among them well qualified for such positions. Harris in the White House would give them unprecedented access to those opportunities.

From what I've read, those types of positions have always held the ultimate weight in those circles. That is one of the reasons that this circle even acknowledged (outsider) Booker T. Washington.He was the U.S. govt.'s go-to Black person in that era, and keeping in his good graces was a good way to be suggested for an important govt. position.

To paraphrase the campaign slogan of her fellow Howard alum, Ras Baraka.....Harris' slogan with elite Black circles is "When I become President, We become President"

This is all facts. Look at all the folks Obama brought on with him, many of whom I’ve already highlighted in this thread.

But this election cycle will certainly be interesting for sure. For one, I think this is the first national election where the black vote will be splintered and rendered ineffective anyway.

But the critiques against Kamala are very fair and valid and so I’m personally split. I don’t feel as if she has been thoughtful in the way that she has addressed those critiques and that may inevitably be her own undoing.

invalid

Banned
Daps

And although I’m not too keen on her yet, it is very interesting how she tapped into all of these black networks which is like a cheat code and which is what I’m interested in highlighting for brehs on here hoping to make moves so they know where to look and who to go.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This is all facts. Look at all the folks Obama brought on with him, many of whom I’ve already highlighted in this thread.

But this election cycle will certainly be interesting for sure. For one, I think this is the first national election where the black vote will be splintered and rendered ineffective anyway.

But the critiques against Kamala are very fair and valid and so I’m personally split. I don’t feel as if she has been thoughtful in the way that she has addressed those critiques and that may inevitably be her own undoing.

Obama was an outsider, not being from Chicago or from that circle. He got plugged into the same Illinois Black political base and elite social circles that helped get Sen. Braun elected decades earlier. It seems as though Valerie Jarrett, among her other duties, was Obama's liaison to the national network of the elite families.

Harris seems to already be directly connected to those networks due to her group and college affiliations. That network has the experience of successfully helping get a person into the White House, and with the right breaks can help Harris get on the Dem. ticket.

I think that when the dust clears and there are only a handful of candidates for Dem. candidate, that the Black vote won't be splintered. Whoever is still in the race, Booker or Harris, will get a large % of the Black vote,and whichever Dem. candidate C.B., K.H. or somebody else, will get a large % of the Black vote. I think the climate in the country next year is going to make it impossible to sit out the election, despite what people are saying.

By putting the reparations bill(s) into play, I think the Dem.s have effectively neutralized that as an issue in the 2020 campaign. Despite the forums, meetings, yt videos ,etc taking place between now and the election, the ONLY thing else that can be done to move the issue forward is getting more votes for H.R. 40 and the companion bill introduced by Booker. People who are serious about getting things done have already come to that conclusion. Others will figure that out later. Like I said in earlier thread, "fukk the boule" allows people to vent & sounds good............................until you're trying to get things done.

Which critiques do you think Harris mishandled? Until the number of candidates goes down to a small number, I don't really pay attention to what they are saying.....so I missed everything except sound bytes and headlines.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Op I see what you were trying to do and appreciate the drop but, those mulattos have not represented black America probably since the 19th century.

They all look to be the descendants of negro bedwenches who benefited from zaddy opening doors for them denied other black people.

:dahell: people that look them were to be found/seen all over the 20th Century from the Harlem Renaissance-->Civil Rights era-->Black Power era

Try and fist bump one if them and get the GET OUT treatment of dude shaking your fist...

3595-004-CAB5427F.jpg

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

Kamala is a clown. Not many will eat.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

• Corner office

Mellody Hobson of Ariel Investments: ‘Capitalism Needs to Work for Everyone’
    As a child, she “was desperate to understand money.” Now, as one of the most senior black women in finance, she oversees billions.

CreditCreditGuerin Blask for The New York Times

By David Gelles
    • July 18, 2019

• Mellody Hobson was raised by a single mother and endured economic hardship as a child. The phone was shut off. The car was repossessed. Her family was evicted.

Today, Ms. Hobson is one of the most senior black women in finance. She serves on the boards of JPMorgan Chase and Starbucks, and this month was named co-chief executive of Ariel Investments, the largest minority-owned investment firm.

Many things contributed to Ms. Hobson’s remarkable rise through corporate America. Her mother’s grit, a rigorous education and a passion for finance all helped. But so did loyalty. Ms. Hobson started at Ariel straight out of college, and has been with the company for nearly 28 years.

“The average American has 11 jobs in their lifetime, and I’ve only had one,” she said.

When not shepherding Ariel, which manages some $13 billion, she is engaged in her board work and spending time with her husband, the filmmaker and “Star Wars” creator George Lucas.

Subscribe to With Interest
    Catch up and prep for the week ahead with this newsletter of the most important business insights, delivered Sundays.

This interview, which was condensed and edited for clarity, was conducted at Ariel’s offices in New York.

Tell me about your childhood.

I grew up in Chicago with a single mother. I’m the youngest of six kids, and my older siblings are much older than me. When your siblings are that much older, you never get to ride in the front seat of the car, you never get the chicken breast. Literally, you’re a child with a bunch of grown-ups.

What did your mother do for a living?

She was a real estate developer. She had big dreams for herself that fell short. We had a very up-and-down existence. A lot of times, we would just have really challenging times, getting evicted or our phone getting disconnected or our car getting repossessed. I always felt very insecure financially as a child. I was desperate to understand money as a child. I was desperate to be secure. Because I always felt like the rug could be pulled from under me.

What was your education like?

I went to the Ogden School, which was the first International Baccalaureate school in the United States. I.B. is a type of degree that started in Europe for diplomats’ kids to make sure that their education was consistent as the diplomats moved around the world. It was amazingly challenging, but it was great in a lot of ways.
    We were kids, but we were put through some pretty horrific exercises. We had a teacher once in seventh grade who ripped out pages of the phone book and told us to memorize the name, address and phone numbers of one column. It was literally to teach our brains how to find mnemonics to memorize, and it ended up being a great gift.

In eighth grade, one of our teachers gave us all rubber bands. She said, “You have until tomorrow to come up with an alternative use for this.” We were all stumped. The next day, we were just going to go in and say we couldn’t figure it out. And I’m sitting at my desk, and I start rubbing the rubber band against my paper, and I realize it’s an eraser.

What was your first job?

I worked in a storeroom that had no windows of a very fancy store in Chicago. I put the tags on the clothes. I honestly loved the job. I loved looking at the clothes. I loved the idea that I could make money. I told them I was 16, but I wasn’t. I was 15. I went there with bells on every single day. I would check the merchandise in so fast that I had nothing to do for the rest of the day, so they said to me, “Well, go help the bookkeeper.”

Then they asked me to start helping close out the register, because I was the one who could get it to balance. Once I was downstairs closing out a register, and a woman came in and she didn’t have anyone to help her, and I sold her thousands of dollars’ worth of clothes. I just thought it was the most amazing thing.

It was my first real example of making myself indispensable, which was one of the things my mom told me. She was like, “Just make it so you’re so good, you can’t get fired.”

What did you study in college?

I was in the Woodrow Wilson School of international relations and public policy at Princeton. You have to apply to get in, and I did not originally get in. I lobbied really hard and called many people. I just would not take no for an answer.

I spent a lot of my years in the Woodrow Wilson School studying systems that really oppress people. I wrote my senior thesis on South Africa, and specifically on how children ultimately led to the end of apartheid because of their uprisings.

How did you go from that to finance?

Finance was right for me because I was desperate to understand money. Money was, in my life, a debilitating topic. It was a source of great worry and anxiety. I thought, “Could I be in a position to help ease people’s burden when they think about money by teaching them?”

Because we don’t learn about money in school in America. In high school in America, you can take wood shop or auto, but not take investing. But who whittles in their spare time? No one cleans their own carburetor.

Money is a subject that is extraordinarily uncomfortable for a lot of people. Parents have been queried about their comfort level in speaking to children about money, and they say they are more comfortable talking about sex and drugs than money. That comes from their own money anxiety. And interestingly, we inherit our money anxiety. All of our money habits are inherited from our parents.

How did your mom talk about it with you?

In my life, money was a pervasive topic. My mother was very direct. When we didn’t have any, she told us. She would tell us when we were in trouble. She also made money a part of my everyday life in ways that were very helpful. For example, she always had me pay the check in a restaurant. I knew what things cost. My mother would have me look at bills. I knew what the phone bill was, what the light bill was.

What do you tell people who are starting on their financial journey, wherever they might be?

I start off by explaining to them that it’s never too late, literally never. I also think the most important thing you can learn about money, and Warren Buffett talks about this, is compound interest. It’s the eighth wonder of the world. If you understand compound interest, you understand money working for or against you.

We talk about long-term patient investing, and that idea that slow and steady does win the race, that time can be your best friend when it comes to investing. That’s why we have a turtle as a logo at Ariel.

Given your commitment to leveling the playing field for working families, do you advocate for their interests in your board work?

So let me start with just a fundamental point of view that I have is I believe in capitalism. It is the best system that has existed in the world. Show me a better one. I can’t find it. But I also believe that capitalism needs to work for everyone, and so I don’t begrudge those people who’ve done extraordinarily well in our society as long as it’s a fair fight.

It isn’t always a fair fight, though, and that’s what we need to fix. That could be anything from our tax bases and how that works, our tax rates, to other issues that occur in our society around fair opportunities for education.

I am a person of color who happens to be a woman as well, and I have firsthand dealt with inequality, despite having shown up with all of the credentials. I do not sit here believing that if you’ve just gone to a great school and this, that and the other, it’s all going to be fine. It just doesn’t work like that in our society. I think about those people who were like me and are like me. That goes into the boardrooms that I’m in. I also think about the people of color who are inside of those companies, making sure they get the same opportunity as those who are in the majority population.

What’s been bugging you lately?

I am deeply disturbed by children at the border being taken away from their parents. That is sitting on my soul and is very upsetting to me. This is on our watch, and it’s horrific. You’d have to kill me to take my child. Literally, literally kill me. And so the idea that thousands of children have been taken away … I feel like someone is standing on my chest, and I feel like it would be the equivalent of when there was the Japanese internment, or some of the other things that happened where you’re like, “How did that happen?”

I don’t want to become numb to it as a society. When people are seeking to escape the oppression that they’re under, whatever it is, economic, social, violence, whatever it is, there’s got to be a better way. This is just not right. It is not right.

Corner Office columnist and a business reporter. Follow him on LinkedIn and Twitter. @dgelles

A version of this article appears in print on July 21, 2019, Section BU, Page 4 of the New York edition with the headline: The Language of Money and Memory. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

invalid

Banned
Daps
Chicago's Quintin E. Primo III

Quintin-Primo-III.jpg

43308_slideshow_feature_4.jpg

Quintin E. Primo III is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Capri Investments and one of the wealthiest black men in America. Quintin is a graduate of Indiana University and Harvard Business School.

Capri Investment Group

His company has a strategy that includes making investments in black and brown communities both in the U.S., Africa, India, and Middle East.

From what I hear, he's lowkey a billionaire but the extent of his assets are underreported. His reported net worth is $300 million.

Here is a spotlight that Black Enterprise has done on his work:

Capri is responsible for purchasing and redeveloping Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza.

crenshaw.PNG

His wife is Diane Primo, CEO of IntraLink Global, a digital integrated communications company. Diane is a graduate of Smith College and Harvard Business School.

20120206DianePrimo320.jpg

She's also chairman of the Primo Center for Women and Children, a shelter for abused, battered and homeless women and their children in the west side "K" town neighborhood of Chicago.

Quintin's father was Quintin Ebenezer Primor, Jr. - The Suffragan Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, for whom the center is named after.

463af3785208253c22a3ec4874025915.jpg

9781892142023-us.jpg

I believe Quintin was the first black bishop of the Episcopal Church in Chicago.

The Primo's are known for an annual Gala - "The Red Hot Gala", that they host at their North Shore mansion in Lake Forest, to benefit their west side Women's Center.

blackgivesback: Chicago's Primo Center for Women and Children Hosts RedHot Diamonds and Denim Gala

The Primos support many causes within the greater black Chicago community.

20110921131022_00001+%25281%2529.jpg

The Primos were ranked as being one of Chicago's Top 5 Power Couples

Chicago's Top 5 Power Couples

I've achieved as much or more than a lot of these children to 'elite' black families and I'm just as unrefined hood nikka with no connections. Yet they look down on me because of my pedigree.

:mjlol:

Nobody really cares about that stuff anymore so what are you talking about “your pedigree”?

And you’re right, I spotlighted what is the most pedigreed of all Chicago families, the Jones/Purnell/Whippers, and one of the last living descendants is a struggling DJ.

So count your blessings.

Oh, and Quentin says hi. :lolbron:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Nobody really cares about that stuff anymore so what are you talking about “your pedigree”?

And you’re right, I spotlighted what is the most pedigreed of all Chicago families, the Jones/Purnell/Whippers, and one of the last living descendants is a struggling DJ.

So count your blessings.

I'm done being a hood nikka put me on breh

:mjcry::feedme: