invalid

Banned
Daps
I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu with this current election cycle.

This was an interesting thread here regarding Keisha Lance Bottoms endorsing Joe Biden.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/atlanta’s-black-mayor-keisha-lance-bottoms-officially-endorses-joe-biden-for-president.717534/

This is strangely reminiscent to the devout support the black establishment initially put behind Hilary out of loyalty to Bill (see Roland Martin). It was only until Valerie Jarrett stepped in that we started to see a mass exodus of support from Clinton to Obama among the establishment. It's important to note that Valerie Jarrett's uncle, Vernon Jordan, was Clinton's right hand man, and one of the most powerful men in Washington DC.

And I think out of loyalty to Obama, many are putting their weight behind Biden.

Desiree Rogers, even though working alongside Biden in the Obama Administration, just came out in support of Harris and I gather much of the Chicago Obama camp is rallying behind her as well.

Unlike the Coli, for many, there seems to be no question with respect to Kamala's loyalty to the black community because she has embraced many of the "accoutrements" of "blackness" deemed as "important" among the black establishment.

In addition to choosing to attend Howard University, she chose to pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.

Kamala is in the top row, fourth from left with the shades on.
190124171524-14-kamala-harris-aka-on-the-yard-sp-1986-super-169.jpg

190124171116-04-kamala-harris-aka-charter-super-169.jpg

That would be enough for many of these folks.

But she was also inducted into the Links, Inc.

And if anyone knows anything about the Links, they would not have inducted her if her blackness and service to the black community was not the top most priority.

So I also think her induction sealed the deal for many people.

1-Kamala-Harris-and-Links-Officers-700x589.jpg

2-LA-Chapter-Links-700x525.jpg

Also, we can't forget that there were rumors that Obama and Harris had a "thing".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4efed2475354

At an event to benefit the Democratic National Committee earlier in the day, Obama said Harris is “brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough,” adding that “she also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country.”

Imagine commenting on another woman's good looks standing next to your wife Michelle Obama. :jbhmm:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

This was an interesting thread here regarding Keisha Lance Bottoms endorsing Joe Biden.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/atlanta’s-black-mayor-keisha-lance-bottoms-officially-endorses-joe-biden-for-president.717534/

This is strangely reminiscent to the devout support the black establishment initially put behind Hilary out of loyalty to Bill (see Roland Martin). It was only until Valerie Jarrett stepped in that we started to see a mass exodus of support from Clinton to Obama among the establishment. It's important to note that Valerie Jarrett's uncle, Vernon Jordan, was Clinton's right hand man, and one of the most powerful men in Washington DC.

And I think out of loyalty to Obama, many are putting their weight behind Biden.

Desiree Rogers, even though working alongside Biden in the Obama Administration, just came out in support of Harris and I gather much of the Chicago Obama camp is rallying behind her as well.

Unlike the Coli, for many, there seems to be no question with respect to Kamala's loyalty to the black community because she has embraced many of the "accoutrements" of "blackness" deemed as "important" among the black establishment.

In addition to choosing to attend Howard University, she chose to pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.

And if anyone knows anything about the Links, they would not have inducted her if her blackness and service to the black community was not the top most priority.

Also, we can't forget that there were rumors that Obama and Harris had a "thing".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4efed2475354

At an event to benefit the Democratic National Committee earlier in the day, Obama said Harris is “brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough,” adding that “she also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country.”

Imagine commenting on another woman's good looks standing next to your wife Michelle Obama. :jbhmm:

She's the first woman I've seen in the Links that was married to a White man, but I'd imagine that's also becoming more common :yeshrug:
The father was/is a Jamaican-American professor at Stanford, the sister Maya Harris is a prominent lawyer in California, married to the current General Counsel of Uber, before that GC of PepsiCo and the Associate Attorney General of the US
220px-TonyWest-Official_DOJ_Portrait.jpg

Their daughter is a corporate lawyer already, so I can see a recurring pattern coming in terms of prominent Black family members emerging.

invalid

Banned
Daps
She's the first woman I've seen in the Links that was married to a White man, but I'd imagine that's also becoming more common :yeshrug:
The father was/is a Jamaican-American professor at Stanford, the sister Maya Harris is a prominent lawyer in California, married to the current General Counsel of Uber, before that GC of PepsiCo and the Associate Attorney General of the US
220px-TonyWest-Official_DOJ_Portrait.jpg

Their daughter is a corporate lawyer already, so I can see a recurring pattern coming in terms of prominent Black family members emerging.

I know two Links members here in my own city married to white men. I also know one member of Sigma Pi Phi married to a white woman. As you said, it's just becoming more common.

Maya looks more Indian to me but she has a good looking family.

And her daughter, Meena, is white as shyt, so her father couldn't possibly be Tony West.

Her daughter is married to a brother though. :ehh:

1549552305_893_Meena-Harris-Married-Husband-Children-Spouse-Net-Worth-Wiki-Bio.jpg

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I know two Links members here in my own city married to white men. I also know one member of Sigma Pi Phi married to a white woman. As you said, it's just becoming more common.

And her daughter, Meena, is white as shyt, so her father couldn't possibly be Tony West.

1549552305_893_Meena-Harris-Married-Husband-Children-Spouse-Net-Worth-Wiki-Bio.jpg

That’s gotta be up north or out west. Idk any links or sigma pi phi members married to white ppl here in the south

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I didn't even realise until I checked, she's also 35, which means her mother had her in high school?

Its common societally, but I've found that class usually holds some control over teen pregnancy. Interesting to see.
Tony and Maya: Partners in Public Service | Stanford Law School

And I enjoyed their keeping up a non-White inclusion policy in the organizations. What a shame.

invalid

Banned
Daps
That’s gotta be up north or out west. Idk any links or sigma pi phi members married to white ppl here in the south

And I enjoyed their keeping up a non-White inclusion policy in the organizations. What a shame.
Look through the Boule Journal at the various Boule Christmas parties around the country.

I quickly saw white wives in the Texas, Miami, and North Atlanta chapters among the white wives in northern and western chapters. Times are certainly changing.

https://www.sigmapiphi.org/home/assets/weidner/files/The_Boule_Journal_CFA_821.pdf

Edit: I actually see 3 white women in the Chicagoland Area Chapters (It's 3 chapters represented at their Christmas party photo). You have to be careful too because some of these "white women" may actually be black. But I think I see 3. One of them I know personally, so I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps

I think the big debate now is Jack and Jill.

Most people assume that it's a childrens organization.

It's actually a black mothers organization so I think some chapters are grappling with accepting white mothers of biracial children. I'm assuming the white women may be married to Boule members. I don't see them accepting white women married to non-substantial black men who can't pull weight.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It was the mixed children of house slaves that primarily made up the black bourgeoisie. The children of both freemen and freedmen (there was a distinction) made up a smaller contingent. So Booker T sprang squarely from that mixed race slave ranks.

Thanks for the correction on the distinction between freemen and freedmen. I believe a social pecking order was in place. Freemen, though smaller in number, occupied some sort of higher status than freedmen. I guess the more of your ancestors who had been born free placed you higher. And I guess among those who were enslaved, the role your ancestors played on the plantation (house slave or carriage driver) put your higher than the children of field hands.

Slavery ended in practice in the North two or three generations before the end of the Civil War, so I think there was a pool of Black elite, relatively speaking, separate from the mixed children born into slavery in the South. I figure that they were the leaders of the Black elite circle post slavery. I hear and agree with your overall point, though.

This is closer to the truth. I remember reading that Josephine Willson Bruce, the wife of Senator Blanche Bruce, went down to teach at Tuskeegee for a stint. At the time, she and her husband had become the "it" couple among blacks in Washington DC. And she mentioned in numerous correspondence to her husband that Booker T had no tolerance for her at all. Any other school, for instance, Howard, would have paid deference to her.

DC played an important role in that circle and other cities and families paid homage and deference to the families from there, but BTW had national influence and controlled purse strings. He didn't have to play those games.
[I've read Leading the Race(history of DC's Black Elite), and have glanced at it again because of this thread]

This is where I see the value of a classical education for certain demographics in the black community. Booker T operated with this very linear way of thinking not understanding that different forms of education can be useful and/or play a hand in advancing us economically. It was from a pool of classically trained blacks that put Tuskeegee on the map if we're keeping it a buck. It was like Howard in that regard, which also attracted a large swath of black Ivy League talent. So to have the belief that classical education holds no value is pretty rich considering your school's reputation was built on the backs of those that had classical education. Like his "five fingers" speech, there is a way that we can integrate all to form the whole.

He had the blinders on to some extent, Though, I think he saw that the true value of that kind of education was in being able to use it to ELEVATE and educate other Black people . Not to just get the education as a status symbol to show off to others in your social circle.
There's a lack of respect for formal education that exists in our communities, which I HATE and will never understand or cosign. HOWEVER, I think the roots of some of it here and throughout the diaspora , is how some of the people who had access to it early used it.
Interesting parts of the book that detail the lengths that Howard instructors went to NOT become industrial schools like Hampton and Tuskegee were at the time.
Like I said, BTW had the blinders on,but I think some of the Black elite did too. I don't think some of them understood the limitations of classical education for the economic realities of the masses of Black people at the time.

This is true. But remember he sprang from that mixed race slave contingent so he wasn't all the way an outsider. His marriages certainly codified his place within the ranks.

It's just odd to me that for all of the dislike of the black bourgeoisie, he not only associated with but transformed his family into the very thing that he did not like, the black bourgeoisie-lol.

This is a good point . An even harsher critic of the Black bourgeoisie ,Malcolm X, would be turning over in his grave, to see that his children grew up in Jack N Jill, heheheeheh. I read the auto bio once a year and the chapter about the "Hill Negroes" of Roxbury is brutal.
I'd be interested to know what BTW's descendants are about, though. Whether they still identify with, and promote the interests of the masses of Black folks.Not just having foundations and non profits, but actually identifying with the average person.

I'm not that familiar with Marcus Garvey but it appears his convictions were enough to where they diverged from any type of intersection with this group.

He famously feuded with BTW's rival, Dubois. He spoke directly to the masses and shared some of BTW's views about integration, and strengthening the Black economic base.[/QUOTE]

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Keisha did that for Stacy Abrams.

Keisha is probably the first real black Atlanta mayor that wasn’t truly accepted by the elites until she became mayor.

Politically most black politicians are becoming silent members of the boule like Obama did.

Obama was 100% put on initially by the black elites.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

At the next big event he spoke at, Obama addressed his earlier quote.

cued

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

i went to school with meena, her dad is white.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Some might ask if Johnson was really that jealous of Lewis essentially overtaking him in wealth and the truth of the matter is yes. LOG talked about it in his book. Chicago blacks have HNIC syndrome. They don’t like their spots at the top to be encroached upon. And when you look at Johnson, in relation to others like Jordan and Oprah, they were all blacks at the top of their respective industries nationwide. That’s for what black Chicago was known.

Not a single lie was told. This documentary features all famous / accomplished Chicagoans....and you weren't kidding about people at the top of their industries.

Emmy Award winning film, "From Dusable to Obama-Chicago's Black Metropolis" is an epic story of struggle and triumph. Spanning more than two hundred years of African-American history, including the Chicago's founding, the Civil War, the Great Migration, the Civil Rights movement, the Black Arts Movement and the successful building of an African-American political base leading to the election of Barack Obama.Narration is combined with interviews of more than forty leading citizens, scholars, artists, politicians, and business leaders to create the impression of single voice telling a rich and complex story. Archival prints, engravings, drawings, letters, historical documents, photographs, film and TV footage are used to bring to life the evolving intimate relationship between a people and a city in a changing America.
==============================================================

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Keisha did that for Stacy Abrams.

Keisha is probably the first real black Atlanta mayor that wasn’t truly accepted by the elites until she became mayor.

Now that you mention this, my family supported Caesar Mitchell and they are squarely within that Maynard Jackson/Herman J. Russell crowd. Caesar was a roommate of my cousins at Morehouse.

What’s the deal with Keisha?

invalid

Banned
Daps
Not a single lie was told. This documentary features all famous / accomplished Chicagoans....and you weren't kidding about people at the top of their industries.

Emmy Award winning film, "From Dusable to Obama-Chicago's Black Metropolis" is an epic story of struggle and triumph. Spanning more than two hundred years of African-American history, including the Chicago's founding, the Civil War, the Great Migration, the Civil Rights movement, the Black Arts Movement and the successful building of an African-American political base leading to the election of Barack Obama.Narration is combined with interviews of more than forty leading citizens, scholars, artists, politicians, and business leaders to create the impression of single voice telling a rich and complex story. Archival prints, engravings, drawings, letters, historical documents, photographs, film and TV footage are used to bring to life the evolving intimate relationship between a people and a city in a changing America.
==============================================================

You always come through with the video links. :lolbron:

I have seen bits and pieces of this but have been wanting to finish the whole thing and thought I would have to purchase from PBS if I couldn’t catch it on tv again. So rep for the post.