Altered Carbon Season 1 Thread: You wanna live forever? :piff::wow:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I always liked the "IGY" song from the 80's that I think you were referencing:

...but I think that song was meant to be ironic. It's actually describing a "Logan's Run"+'Brave New World"-type dystopia. It's talking about "just machines" making all of the decisions. A different type of future, but also bad.

You may be right, but the entire theme of The Nightfly album is a slice of life from the 1950's. IGY fits the optimistic non-communist tint view of the 50's, as opposed to New Frontier, where they're partying and plotting life after nuclear winter "in case The Reds decide to push the button down".

BUT..... It's Donald Fagen we're talking about here. So you could be right.

The Nightfly is one of my GOAT albums, as written and composed by one of my GOAT songwriters/composers, btw. So +reps for getting the reference.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
You may be right, but the entire theme of The Nightfly album is a slice of life from the 1950's. IGY fits the optimistic non-communist tint view of the 50's, as opposed to New Frontier, where they're partying and plotting life after nuclear winter "in case The Reds decide to push the button down".

BUT..... It's Donald Fagen we're talking about here. So you could be right.

The Nightfly is one of my GOAT albums, as written and composed by one of my GOAT songwriters/composers, btw. So +reps for getting the reference.

I'm just basing if off of these lines

A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

Maybe that would have sounded utopian to a person in the 50's, but from the perspective of the late 70's/Early 80's, there's no way that was meant to sound good. Plus that stuff about Spandex jackets for everyone.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
STUNNING visuals. Check.

Violence and Sex? Check

Chock full of eye candy? Although Ms. Prescott and Quell (who I imagine to be Michonne's greatx17 granddaughter) suffer from the same problem as Rachel from Justified: You want them on the screen, so they're on the screen less. Check.

Interesting story, concepts and an easily built upon world/universe? Check.

The thing, IMO, that kept me from seeing this show as "GREAT" as compared to "ehhh.... it's good. :ehh:" is that the characters are.... generic.

Takeshi, despite his backstory, is the generic sociopathic badass, stalking the streets, towering over "civilians" in his long trench coat. Smoking in no smoking areas and the like.

Ortega is generic "spicy" latina, angry and snappish, mixing spanish with her english, etc. Her mom is generic, doesn't speak english, shows up to cook and drop motherly wisdom

Bancroft is generic overly rich guy who's bored with life and has no morals cause money.

His wife is what you expect

His son is what you expect

The Hotel is what you expect....

yeah.

Somebody up there said ortega was just a walking trope, Really, they're all tropes. And that's not to say they got the characters wrong, but it does stand out against the....

Imagine you go to this fancy eatery and there's a full course spread prepared exquisitely by world class chefs. What's those baloney sandwiches doing there? It doesn't make you not enjoy your meal, you just enjoy everything else.

Overall, I'm giving it a 4/5. It juuuuuuust barely misses the 4.25.

To be fair, the entire cyberpunk/harboiled genre, is "generic", that's what makes its so splendid to watch. Because while the tropes are the same, its presented in a new way. The re-introduced "shells" and "ghosts" with sleeves and stacks. Tak is Asian (duh) as is Major Kusanagi. He's an envoy = trained assassin who was in a losing war. If that didn't reek of Cowboy Bebop and or Firefly, I don't know anything else that could.

The show is a callback to Noir, Cyberpunk, and of course the hardboiled genre's, and it succeeds at that. Asking for anything "unique" per say, is silly. The show delivered on the acting, action, story, and visuals. Made me want to run on blades. :win:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Going to watch this twice. I'm probably going to enjoy it more the second round.

What should I check out that's great in rela,tin to this.

I just thought of another comparison:
The backstory to "Continuum" is kind of similar to this. Its about a terrorist group similar to the Envoys that comes back in time to present-day Vancouver from a future ruled by a oligarchy of Mega-corporations (as opposed to an oligarchy of Meths on Altered Carbon). I don't know if I would call it "great", but its good.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
peeped the thread and decided to watch and ended up binging it. The coli is back because this was some heat.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Just finished this :patrice:

I think it was a solid 3/5. I think the writing and fighting choreography could’ve been better.

The Black dude in this was even more useless than Finn:wow:

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I called it first episode that the dude killed himself

The way they described how tight the security system was that was the only scenario

My original thought was somebody put some kind of malware in his brain that made him want to kill himself

Instead, dude offed himself because he was a psychopath

I should become a detective :wow: