Altered Carbon Season 1 Thread: You wanna live forever? :piff::wow:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Where do the sleeves come from? :patrice:

Are they grown or are they just people who get their stacks removed cause of crimes? Can sleeves have kids?

Sleeve is still a human body sometimes with perks. They can be grown and cloned. Sleeves can give birth. Everybody born gets a stack as infants.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
STUNNING visuals. Check.

Violence and Sex? Check

Chock full of eye candy? Although Ms. Prescott and Quell (who I imagine to be Michonne's greatx17 granddaughter) suffer from the same problem as Rachel from Justified: You want them on the screen, so they're on the screen less. Check.

Interesting story, concepts and an easily built upon world/universe? Check.

The thing, IMO, that kept me from seeing this show as "GREAT" as compared to "ehhh.... it's good. :ehh:" is that the characters are.... generic.

Takeshi, despite his backstory, is the generic sociopathic badass, stalking the streets, towering over "civilians" in his long trench coat. Smoking in no smoking areas and the like.

Ortega is generic "spicy" latina, angry and snappish, mixing spanish with her english, etc. Her mom is generic, doesn't speak english, shows up to cook and drop motherly wisdom

Bancroft is generic overly rich guy who's bored with life and has no morals cause money.

His wife is what you expect

His son is what you expect

The Hotel is what you expect....

yeah.

Somebody up there said ortega was just a walking trope, Really, they're all tropes. And that's not to say they got the characters wrong, but it does stand out against the....

Imagine you go to this fancy eatery and there's a full course spread prepared exquisitely by world class chefs. What's those baloney sandwiches doing there? It doesn't make you not enjoy your meal, you just enjoy everything else.

Overall, I'm giving it a 4/5. It juuuuuuust barely misses the 4.25.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
STUNNING visuals. Check.

Violence and Sex? Check

Chock full of eye candy? Although Ms. Prescott and Quell (who I imagine to be Michonne's greatx17 granddaughter) suffer from the same problem as Rachel from Justified: You want them on the screen, so they're on the screen less. Check.

Interesting story, concepts and an easily built upon world/universe? Check.

The thing, IMO, that kept me from seeing this show as "GREAT" as compared to "ehhh.... it's good. :ehh:" is that the characters are.... generic.

Takeshi, despite his backstory, is the generic sociopathic badass, stalking the streets, towering over "civilians" in his long trench coat. Smoking in no smoking areas and the like.

Ortega is generic "spicy" latina, angry and snappish, mixing spanish with her english, etc. Her mom is generic, doesn't speak english, shows up to cook and drop motherly wisdom

Bancroft is generic overly rich guy who's bored with life and has no morals cause money.

His wife is what you expect

His son is what you expect

The Hotel is what you expect....

yeah.

Somebody up there said ortega was just a walking trope, Really, they're all tropes. And that's not to say they got the characters wrong, but it does stand out against the....

Imagine you go to this fancy eatery and there's a full course spread prepared exquisitely by world class chefs. What's those baloney sandwiches doing there? It doesn't make you not enjoy your meal, you just enjoy everything else.

Overall, I'm giving it a 4/5. It juuuuuuust barely misses the 4.25.

Tak was born around 2085, and put on ice for around 250 years. So probably just her granddaughter.

Is it me or is was the editing weird. I couldn't understand anything they said a third of the time and had to rewind a lot.

The thing I love about this series is that I never knew how much I liked cyberpunk, nor how close we are to one.

Now, I could do with a live action cyber punk batman beyond but there's no way DC would make a film like this. Even if it was on a streaming platform.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Tak was born around 2085, and put on ice for around 250 years. So probably just her granddaughter.

Is it me or is was the editing weird. I couldn't understand anything they said a third of the time and had to rewind a lot.

The thing I love about this series is that I never knew how much I liked cyberpunk, nor how close we are to one.

Now, I could do with a live action cyber punk batman beyond but there's no way DC would make a film like this. Even if it was on a streaming platform.

I chalked it up to the fact that either almost everyone is somebody in another body or somebody pretending to be somebody in another body.

Sometimes convos got.... disjointled. You blink or turn away for a second, Takeshi is now pretending to be a woman or there's a mexican woman in an white biker's body, russian is asian, etc. That's without Takeshi's flashbacks and hallucinating.

And I feel you about Cyberpunk. This was my first superheavy duty tough dose of actual cyberpunk outside of stuff like Akira and the video game ShadowRun.

Meanwhile, we're subjected to FAR more Steampunk than we realize. The far more heavy and cynical Cyberpunk can be incredibly jolting.

edit:

Aaaaand finally, yeah. You're right. I don't know if I've ever talked about it here..... but back in the 1950s, Humanity was given two distinct visions of the future.

The IGY one, where all the major nations got together and decided to help one another and advance us as a species (click the link), and we'd first wind up with automated homes and 90 minute transcontinental travel and moving side walks, then a Jetson-like utopia, finally something akin to Star Trek.

And the George Orwell/Ray Bradbury/Ayn Rand type 1984/Fahrenheit 451/Atlas Shrugged future. "A boot stomping on a human face, forever."

We got the bad future. :francis:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I liked this mainly for the eye candy (Ortega is bad) but good god Joel Kinnaman is an awful actor. The way he delivers his lines just takes you out of every scene he's in. The world building interested me more than the actual story which was convoluted to say the least. Great concept just fell kind of flat on the execution.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

I kind of disagree with this one. It's interesting that he thought of himself as a "god", not just in the bad ways, but also in the good ways that he was giving food and medicine to the poor. Then, letting them see him die/resurrect to feed into his god complex. They also made a point that he DID have a code of honor that made him draw the line at causing Real Death (until he was drugged against his will).

I actually don't think he deserved to be arrested for murder at the end. Though with his money he'll probably be able to get out of it.

Aaaaand finally, yeah. You're right. I don't know if I've ever talked about it here..... but back in the 1950s, Humanity was given two distinct visions of the future.

The IGY one, where all the major nations got together and decided to help one another and advance us as a species (click the link), and we'd first wind up with automated homes and 90 minute transcontinental travel and moving side walks, then a Jetson-like utopia, finally something akin to Star Trek.

I always liked the "IGY" song from the 80's that I think you were referencing:

...but I think that song was meant to be ironic. It's actually describing a "Logan's Run"+'Brave New World"-type dystopia. It's talking about "just machines" making all of the decisions. A different type of future, but also bad.