All the guilt-trip marketing for “a wrinkle in time” failed

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
you find Ava duvernay attractive?

951.gif

Hell yeah. I'm smashing like an angry bumper car...

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
fukk this movie.

And Ava let us down.

She took her opportunity for a big budget blockbuster...and gave a black child a white father and (apparently) a white love interest.

She's just another authority figure telling our girls that our boys aren't good enough for them. "Marry white" etc. This shyt is going to have such a horrible effect on us...our young boys are being brought up to believe the worst about themselves....

If she wanted black support, she should have actually cast a black family.

Make a film for young black kids that can't go run back to their half-white privilege and maybe we'll support better.

After Lupita and Chadwick I ain't here for this wenchery.

If a Wench in Time fails, this gives motivation for production companies to NOT support black female directors in future events. Notice that Disney is featuring both BP and Wench in Time back to back? They will always throw this movie as a litmus test to say “see, negroes won’t support this movie even though it’s made by one of your own” while ignoring the success of BP.

Should’ve had an all black family instead of half-Assing it and maybe your target audience would’ve support it more :manny:

Great point. I've been thinking about this recently.

I personally think that Hollywood said this : We're putting Black Panther, A Wench In Time, and Pacific Rim 2 all within a month of each other. If they flop, no more black movies.

These two months were meant to be like do or die for black movies. After all the OscarsSoWhite and years of diversity complaints....these same whites congratulating BP probably secretly wanted it to underperform.

I'm proud that Coogler pulled through for us, he had a tough balancing act. No that doesn't mean I'm jumping for joy, and I recognize that ownership > all. Nevertheless, I think that complete black marginalization in film was fought off for a bit longer.

Last edited:

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If a Wench in Time fails, this gives motivation for production companies to NOT support black female directors in future events. Notice that Disney is featuring both BP and Wench in Time back to back? They will always throw this movie as a litmus test to say “see, negroes won’t support this movie even though it’s made by one of your own” while ignoring the success of BP.

Should’ve had an all black family instead of half-Assing it and maybe your target audience would’ve support it more :manny:

They do the interracial family to try to get the black audience and the white audience but it just ends up alienating both.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
The marketing and trailers have been utterly abysmal, they almost play like a parody of those sort of movies.

If it does flop I wonder what Ava Duvernay will do? Remember she was originally tapped to direct Black Panther.

|r|e|a|d|

Hail!!
Daps
Reppin
PJ's to the Burbs

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
A wench in time :laff::laff:

Edit: just saw the trailer for the first time and the name fits. A black mammy wench in oprah, that Hindu wench and a mixed race girl seeking white father(obviously) This is like a wench dream come true. Are there even any black men in this movie? :mjgrin:
A film about a bunch brown woman chasing after their white savior
giphy.gif

tumblr_ot7ot3VlFL1vwdnnpo3_540.gif

rs_680x284-170715113608-a-wrinkle-in-time-5.gif

and they expected us to put on dashiki's and roll to this in mass on some African unity type shyt.
:dead: