All the guilt-trip marketing for “a wrinkle in time” failed

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Read the book as a kid and liked it...but I have no idea why they decided to make this a "black movie." The characters in the book are white. Shoehorning it into a "love letter for black girls" as Ava calls it doesn't make sense to me when there are so many great YA (young adult) fiction books to adapt that feature black themes or characters.

The book is basically Narnia with some math and science thrown in. It's not what I'd call a surefire hit movie idea. The trailers basically look like a bloated blockbuster with more focus on costumes and fantasy CGI design than an entertaining or easily understandable plot.

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
If Ava lets me smash then gives me a free ticket, then I will go see the movie... :lolbron:

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
From what I've seen, a lot of black women were already not feeling this film. Some who read it as kids weren't even interested. Outside of shea butter twitter - and their pet bloggers - I have't seen much guilt tripping. In fact, I've been seeing the trailer being clowned all up and down my tl by women.

But for the few bytches who ARE complaining, you've got to be a special kind of dumb to think a movie based on a YA series, marketed mainly to children and early teens is going to do the same numbers as a full fledged superhero movie geared more toward an adult audience.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
I don't know why but for some reason I just hate seeing Mindy Kaling. ANYTHING she is present in just sticks out like a sore thumb and I get irritated real quick. Like I remember she was in the Family Feud music video and most people wouldn't have cared about her in it but it just got so annoying to see her that the whole music video was trash to me.
And now there's a whole movie with her :why: I don't think I'd be able to watch it fully with my sanity intact.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A wench in time :laff::laff:

Edit: just saw the trailer for the first time and the name fits. A black mammy wench in oprah, that Hindu wench and a mixed race girl seeking white father(obviously) This is like a wench dream come true. Are there even any black men in this movie? :mjgrin:

Last edited:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t know the first thing about the content of the movie but At the end of the day a black director was given a big budget to lead an ambitious project. Off GP it should be supported because black people winning today can open opportunities for tomorrow.

This movie isn’t Black Panther but if she fails with this project, she’s not gonna have the opportunity to make her own Black Panther in the future if she wanted to. Support her black ass.:yeshrug:
Support anti black male wenching brehs

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
If Ava lets me smash then gives me a free ticket, then I will go see the movie... :lolbron:

you find Ava duvernay attractive?

951.gif

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I don’t know the first thing about the content of the movie but At the end of the day a black director was given a big budget to lead an ambitious project. Off GP it should be supported because black people winning today can open opportunities for tomorrow.

This movie isn’t Black Panther but if she fails with this project, she’s not gonna have the opportunity to make her own Black Panther in the future if she wanted to. Support her black ass.:yeshrug:
This is a bunch of bullshyt and it’s low key c00n talk. If you want to see the movie then go see it because you want to see it. Don’t pretend as if you’re practicing black empowerment by going to see it tho. I went to see black panther because I wanted to see it, not because it’s black empowerment. It’s 2018 and it’s long passed the point that we let go of this “we got to support black people who got a seat at the white man’s table so maybe more of us can get a seat” mentality. We’ve been playing that game since intergration and we haven’t moved anywhere. Supporting blacks who are put in charge of managing white projects just maintains the status quo. It’s only black empowerment when we’re supporting those of us trying to create their/our own table. Again, I’m not saying don’t go see the movie if it’s a movie that you want to see. Just don’t pretend as if you’re doing it for the cause.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love

It would only enforce the notion that black films need white financiers and support to do well. Our success as blacks is not contingent on what white people will let us have.

What black entertainers need, are more black owned production studios to make movies.....the reason that Tyler Perry can continue to put out content whenever the fukk he wants, is cause he owns all his own shyt.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
A wench in time :laff::laff:

Edit: just saw the trailer for the first time and the name fits. A black mammy wench in oprah, that Hindu wench and a mixed race girl seeking white father(obviously) This is like a wench dream come true. Are there even any black men in this movie? :mjgrin:

Only as the following:
Janitor
Security Guard
Fast Food Worker
A Voodoo Priest
Criminal

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
:rudy: so you're telling me, that we need to spend 20 sum odd dollars, to sit in the dark staring at some shyt we don't wanna see for at least 2 hours, all in the name of support?

and you expect me to believe that YOU'RE gonna do that!?! :camby:

Support anti black male wenching brehs

This is a bunch of bullshyt and it’s low key c00n talk. If you want to see the movie then go see it because you want to see it. Don’t pretend as if you’re practicing black empowerment by going to see it tho. I went to see black panther because I wanted to see it, not because it’s black empowerment. It’s 2018 and it’s long passed the point that we let go of this “we got to support black people who got a seat at the white man’s table so maybe more of us can get a seat” mentality. We’ve been playing that game since intergration and we haven’t moved anywhere. Supporting blacks who are put in charge of managing white projects just maintains the status quo. It’s only black empowerment when we’re supporting those of us trying to create their/our own table. Again, I’m not saying don’t go see the movie if it’s a movie that you want to see. Just don’t pretend as if you’re doing it for the cause.

It would only enforce the notion that black films need white financiers and support to do well. Our success as blacks is not contingent on what white people will let us have.

What black entertainers need, are more black owned production studios to make movies.....the reason that Tyler Perry can continue to put out content whenever the fukk he wants, is cause he owns all his own shyt.
Black owned is great and should be first priority... but black people simply getting jobs (especially elite ones) is good too. It’s not one or the other.

Nobody is obligated to support this movie for black empowerment purposes. If you’re not interested in this kind of project, don’t watch or support it. But don’t paint yourself as being too ‘woke’ to support something that could very well empower your people in ways you’re too myopic to foresee.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat and there’s more than one way to empower. Having a narrow-minded strategy makes it easy for your enemies to figure you out.