"All BAD Things Must Come to an End" - Breaking Bad Season 5: Part 2 Official Thread (SPOILERS)

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm just saying the writers have never really been ones for realism.
Really not care for realism? Well they took the time to put this in show.
FEDAabP.jpg

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Im a huge fan as you know, but train robbing scene is imo very unrealistic.

first of all the braking (no pun) right where they want is pretty much impossible.
second of all, this whole heist goes bad if anyone from train comes out and looks back on it before time is right, which is impossible to predict

Francis White

Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
the magnet shyt was unbelievable, as was the train robbery -- but walt surviving 4-5 yrs when he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in the first episode is a bit much. the pacing is perfect IMO, make the cancer aspect realistic atleast
are you watching the same show as everyone else? 4-5 years? Where you getting this from? It has been about 16 months since the pilot take place in the show time. He had surgery that put the cancer in remission and he took his medicine regularly , how is that real to live 2 years with proper treatment and surgery? The train robbery well look at the this map, notice New Mexico is one of the hot spots? These robberies happen more than you think? MSNBC did a whole show on bank robberies, there is a video of guys steals flat screens TV's and they only got them was because of a CI.
train14.jpg

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
are you watching the same show as everyone else? 4-5 years? Where you getting this from? It has been about 16 months since the pilot take place in the show time. He had surgery that put the cancer in remission and he took his medicine regularly , how is that real to live 2 years with proper treatment and surgery? The train robbery well look at the this map, notice New Mexico is one of the hot spots? These robberies happen more than you think? MSNBC did a whole show on bank robberies, there is a video of guys steals flat screens TV's and they only got them was because of a CI.
train14.jpg

are you even reading what i'm responding to? people are saying the show should be paced 4-5 yrs in BB time instead of 14 months. now i don't know about you guys, but i've had 2 relatives die from lung cancer. none of them survived over 2 yrs after diagnosed, and this wasn't stage 3 cancer either. also, im not saying train thefts are unrealistic. just that particular scene with them stealing all that methylamine was a bit much. just like them destroying the evidence room with magnets, it's like, come on nikka :comeon:

Francis White

Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
LOL at thinking Mike woulda snitched, GTFO
He was the perfect candidate too talk, elder family man who was an ex-cop, now involved the drug game, A DA would kill to get to a guy like that, they could put him in gen pop and spread a rumor he ratted out cartel men and was instrumental in bring down 1, He is basically a Sammie the bull, he could get a full pardon to talk.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
are you even reading what i'm responding to? people are saying the show should be paced 4-5 yrs in BB time instead of 14 months. now i don't know about you guys, but i've had 2 relatives die from lung cancer. none of them survived over 2 yrs after diagnosed, and this wasn't stage 3 cancer either. also, im not saying train thefts are unrealistic. just that particular scene with them stealing all that methylamine was a bit much. just like them destroying the evidence room with magnets, it's like, come on nikka :comeon:

First off there is no set time for stage 3 lung cancer. If we're talking 5+ years the survival rate drops to 15% if the cancer wasn't diagnosed until a late stage. 3-4 years is completely realistic.

Also keep in mind "stage 3" doesn't mean anything by itself. There is Stage 3A and Stage 3B. Stage 3A has an up to 30% survival rate after 5 years. As far as I know the show didn't specify which he had.

Lastly, and I need to emphasize this, methylamine ain't like diamonds or gold. Depending on where you live there is probably trucks transporting it around your city, as we speak. The worth comes from making it into meth. So someone could easily steal a fukk ton of methylamine, but it's useless by itself. The show made a dramatic train heist because it is far more entertaining. It's not as if you need to be some kind of genius to do anything they did....they used a real train, a real pump, and real liquid in both the cargo car and the buried plastic barrels. None of this took any kind of special training for the actors. They showed exactly how they did it in the season 5 Blu-Ray.

So I'm not seeing how it's unrealistic. The magnet shyt, I understand being :what:

But even scientists couldn't say 100% for sure that's impossible:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/breaking-bad-magnets-how-do-they-work/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407192,00.asp

But for the sake of argument let's assume it is impossible. :manny:

Fred.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
So I'm not seeing how it's unrealistic. The magnet shyt, I understand being :what:
a freight train moving at full speed needs like 2 miles of stopping distance. basically theres no way to calculate the exact spot on the bridge where it stops like they did, because of reaction time of the driver is a variable that changes the distance.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
First off there is no set time for stage 3 lung cancer. If we're talking 5+ years the survival rate drops to 15% if the cancer wasn't diagnosed until a late stage. 3-4 years is completely realistic.

Also keep in mind "stage 3" doesn't mean anything by itself. There is Stage 3A and Stage 3B. Stage 3A has an up to 30% survival rate after 5 years. As far as I know the show didn't specify which he had.

Lastly, and I need to emphasize this, methylamine ain't like diamonds or gold. Depending on where you live there is probably trucks transporting it around your city, as we speak. The worth comes from making it into meth. So someone could easily steal a fukk ton of methylamine, but it's useless by itself. The show made a dramatic train heist because it is far more entertaining. It's not as if you need to be some kind of genius to do anything they did....they used a real train, a real pump, and real liquid in both the cargo car and the buried plastic barrels. None of this took any kind of special training for the actors. They showed exactly how they did it in the season 5 Blu-Ray.

But even scientists couldn't say 100% for sure that's impossible:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/breaking-bad-magnets-how-do-they-work/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407192,00.asp

But for the sake of argument let's assume it is impossible. :manny:

Fred.

breh, are you vince gilligan? im not saying this stuff is impossible, im just saying it's unrealistic. i also did a rewatch, it's definitely stage 3 lung cancer. not a doctor obviously, just going off my experiences -- but i've had family members die from lung cancer within 2 yrs. the odds of walt battling lung cancer for 4-5 yrs is ridiculous. i'll tell you exactly what's going to happen. it's going to spread to his brain and he's going to end up having hallucinations because of it. hell, i already think he's got brain cancer due to jesses story about his aunt and the possum. i felt like it was foreshadowing with the fly walt kept seeing. not to mentioning that ear ringing sound fx they always put on the show, another symptom of brain tumor.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
a freight train moving at full speed needs like 2 miles of stopping distance. basically theres no way to calculate the exact spot on the bridge where it stops like they did, because of reaction time of the driver is a variable that changes the distance.

An average size commercial train going 55 mph (and keep in mind they had insight into every aspect of the train, from Lydia) would take a mile to stop. Worst case scenario it hits his truck and stops....same as trains in real life do when they're robbed. Only in this case it was a dump truck, not shopping carts. They placed the truck exactly where they'd need it to be for the methylamine car to line up with the bridge. Remember Lydia told them the exactly where the cargo car would be.

Whether or not it stopped before it hit the truck had no bearing on their plan.

The fact that it did stop probably has more to do with AMC not wanting to pay for a dump truck, and fixing a train. :manny:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
breh, are you vince gilligan? im not saying this stuff is impossible, im just saying it's unrealistic. i also did a rewatch, it's definitely stage 3 lung cancer. not a doctor obviously, just going off my experiences -- but i've had family members die from lung cancer within 2 yrs. the odds of walt battling lung cancer for 4-5 yrs is ridiculous. i'll tell you exactly what's going to happen. it's going to spread to his brain and he's going to end up having hallucinations because of it. hell, i already think he's got brain cancer due to jesses story about his aunt and the possum. i felt like it was foreshadowing with the fly walt kept seeing. not to mentioning that ear ringing sound fx they always put on the show, another symptom of brain tumor.

Of course it's unrealistic. A nerdy high school chemistry teacher walked into a drug lord's den and jacked him for $50,000 using fulminated mercury in season 1. If that wasn't a big ass clue that the series would be unrealistic, I dunno what is.

And like I said, yeah it's stage 3 but it could be A or B. As far as I know they never specified so we don't have a concrete time line, which is what me and gator_king were talking about.

I'm just saying out of all the wild shyt in this show, his life expectancy based on a cancer diagnosis we don't know much about, ain't one of them IMO.

Fred.