After Sunday we need to decide what The Film Room’s GOAT prestige drama tv show is (poll ends FRIDAY)

Choose TWO. Your GOAT modern prestige drama series. (Tiers discussion below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
we need a poll for "prestige" comedy...not sure how we could even tackle it, but shyt like Veep and Curbed are just amazingly great shows
giphy.gif

4hw8xx.gif

:mjlol:

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
Ya'll underrating the hell out of the first prestige basic cable show , The shield. Way ahead of its time, won emmys,Great Cast , Had Kurt sutter involved but reigned in (the suttery :lolbron: ) by Shawn Ryans solid story telling also great guest appearances and antagonist , great ending and very re-watchable But to each its own :manny: so far im watching the americans and I only love the first 2 seasons its been a slow burn (way too slow) after that. Still got to finish the last season. IMHO The wire, Sopranos, The Shield are yearly rewatches and are shows that shaped what is prestige TV now a days. Shout out to BB and Better call Saul great shows with attention to detail. But the Holy Trinity I mentioned just had solid acting, Great Casts and story telling all around.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
What did you all think about The Borgias??
I remember starting it a couple years ago and liking it..........but never finished it for some reason. i need to check it out again.

the last season of The Wire is unwatchable. As much as I love 3 and 4 having 20% of a series being downright terrible is a stain .

I went with Succession and Game Of Thrones .

GOT had mid seasons as well but the highs were unmatched by any series .
Season 5 of the wire isnt even that bad, but using your logic season 7 and 8 of GoT are worse and 20% of the series. :dahell:
Those last 2 seasons of GoT also ruins a rewatch for a bunch of ppl on top of outright killing the IP.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
it’s a pure adrenaline rush type of show…comparable to the shield and yellowstone in that regard…definitely better than yellowstone imo which y’all have listed…I didn’t like it at first but I came across 2 fights scenes and decided to go back and watch the show and enjoyed it

@EzekelRAGE posted the MMA fight scene but this one too pushed me to give the series a second chance (I had bailed after the very first ep cuz some of the action in that first ep felt goofy and over the top but I had fun once I suspended disbelief and enjoyed the action)

Riding around the pasture in Yellowstone >>>>>>Banshee S4

Last edited:

daemonova

Daps
^^^

I want to watch “justified”…I had it queued when I subscribed to hulu…but 6 seasons is a lot and I’m worried about falling into the trap of watching it out of habit more so than bcuz I like it which is happening to me with this third season of “for all mankind”…sometimes a show wears out its welcome after 2-3 seasons but I’ll still watch it to finish it up…so I’m worried about that happening with “justified”
The first three seasons can compete with any show, including the ones that won the poll, fight me. :slapfight:

The first half of s4 is slow....

The second half is the best if the series, the pinnacle is the decoy episode.

S5 is the low point. S6 was better but couldn't make up from the sins of S5.

daemonova

Daps
Deadwood is elite to me. Way better than "Breaking Bad" which is nothing but "The Wire" in suburbia and sucked after Gus got IED'd. I'm tempted to put "Severance" in elite territory after one season.
On Deadwood rewatch, that got dayum pastor annoying af.

daemonova

Daps
If y'all open it up to Sci Fi, these were revolutionary to me
  • Utopia - The BBC version, not the Amazon bs
  • Black Mirror - The BBC episodes, not the Netflix BS
  • American Gods - Starz and Unfinished
It's a shame that Orphan Black was not that good of a show, despite having Tatiana. It could have had that X-Files, Rubicon, Millenium (which predates Mindhunter as a show about an FBI profiler) vibe. Instead it was more like Warehouse 13, not even Fringe.

And Hannibal (NBC) - that show was great...but same dude from Am. Gods didn't finish this either.

Good topic
If you talking about S3 of American gods, you didn't miss anything.

daemonova

Daps
Absolutely not. I'm curious why you think so tho.

I wish they didn't have to rush it, but it was by no means embarrassing like GoT's was. The next day nobody at the office even wanted to talk about GoT cause we were all embarrassed how much we invested in it. Dudes who bought House Stark hoodies hid that shyt in the back of their closet.
I can still watch classic episodes of Boardwalk and enjoy it. I haven't revisited GoT at all.

I'd add these to Pantheon/Elite:
- The Americans
- The Shield
- Halt and Catch Fire

And we gotta put Lost high up there. It paved the way for all this.
House Stark won the Game of Thrones, three Westerosi Kings/Queen, hurt feelings is one thing, but don't make stuff up.