African Immigirants Most educated groups in the US.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Neither of my parents had money/were 'elite' when they came to America. My dad drove taxis and worked in restaurants to pay for his graduate school education. I understand what you're saying about the comparing apples to apple though. It would be interesting to compare 1st generation Africans to 1st generation Asians and see how the numbers compare. However, I think it's presumptuous of you to assume that wealth is what is driving these high rates of education among Africans. From my experience, the thing that a lot of 1st generation Africans in America have in common with each other is the amount of struggle our parents had to go through when they first came here to give us (their children) the opportunity to take advantage of what this country has to offer, namely a quality education.

:ahh::boss:

Daps
Why do immigrants think this is unique? My grandfathers worked double shifts for like 30 years in dirty ass US STEEL..so my parents got degrees...my great grand parents were sharecroppers

This thread and the celebratory cosigns underscore the fact that many africans have a true disdain for black americans that built this land and fought :ufdup: for THEIR rights, and you all claim our culture and people, and sell it out when convenient.

Middle passage material >>>>>>>>

Ok, so if black Americans have a longer lineage of people who broke their backs in this country so that future generations will have it easier in life, etc etc., why are the statistics regarding education, income, quality of life, etc dismal in this group of people? Does the practice of instilling work ethic in your children dilute from generation to generation?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
The only thing I agree with in this post is the conflict of interest between the parent and their child regarding their education. African parents pretty much think that the only way to be successful in this country is to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.:comeon: So being the obedient children that we are, we try to appease them. If it works out, cool. If not, then there is going to be turmoil in the family until you start making money doing what you love doing.:yeshrug: That's what I'm going through right now. Yea, it ends up being a waste of time/resources, but it is what is it. At least the values we have are there, I suppose.:ld:

That's the truth if you want to live comfortable financially.

Most careers outside of that you have an average ceiling of about 60K... Not enough if you plan on helping some family members or even if you start having kids.

Don't give me the "my friend got a liberal arts degree and is making 20 figures" :rudy:

you know that's an anomaly

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Ok, so if black Americans have a longer lineage of people who broke their backs in this country so that future generations will have it easier in life, etc etc., why are the statistics regarding education, income, quality of life, etc dismal in this group of people? Does the practice of instilling work ethic in your children dilute from generation to generation?

:ufdup: First of all, my family tree is dispora originated black excellence full of Drs, teachers, bankers, millitary officers, and police chiefs, federal agents, lawyers, chemists, and pilots. So, i dont apply nor does my family.

With that said...you are assuming that the education gap (of which i question the validity of knowing the somalis in this area) is because of a lack of work ethic. I would think youre knowledgable enough to know that the breakdown of family, and prevelant drug use during the past 40 years (one often causing the other) is a bigger issue than 'work ethic'. Neither are excuses but theyre explainations, of which african immigrants have not had to deal with.

Btw, why did you not name yourself akwardafricangirl? :sitdown:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
:ufdup: First of all, my family tree is dispora originated black excellence full of Drs, teachers, bankers, millitary officers, and police chiefs, federal agents, lawyers, chemists, and pilots. So, i dont apply nor does my family.

With that said...you are assuming that the education gap (of which i question the validity of knowing the somalis in this area) is because of a lack of work ethic. I would think youre knowledgable enough to know that the breakdown of family, and prevelant drug use during the past 40 years (one often causing the other) is a bigger issue than 'work ethic'. Neither are excuses but theyre explainations, of which african immigrants have not had to deal with.

Here we go with the blame the white man arguments again :snoop:

And the cycle of failure of enormous proportions continue....

Daps
That's the truth if you want to live comfortable financially.

Most careers outside of that you have an average ceiling of about 60K... Not enough if you plan on helping some family members or even if you start having kids.

Don't give me the "my friend got a liberal arts degree and is making 20 figures" :rudy:

you know that's an anomaly

I guess we have different view points on what financial comfort means.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Here we go with the blame the white man arguments again :snoop:

And the cycle of failure of enormous proportions continue....

I gave no blame or suggested its white peoples fault black people did drugs fukking up a generation. I even said it was an explaination and not an excuse.

I've already outlined the greatness of my family, i know what it takes in america to succeed.

Daps

Why wasn't your family affected by the overall break down of the black family and the prevelent drug use of the last 40 years? Why is your situation the exception and not the rule?

The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl is the name of the webseries of which my username was inspired.::snooze:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Why wasn't your family affected by the overall break down of the black family and the prevelent drug use of the last 40 years? Why is your situation the exception and not the rule?

The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl is the name of the webseries of which my username was inspired.::snooze:

Idk how to answer that, other than that we valued family, marraige, education, and avoiding jail at all costs more than most (all races).

Daps
Idk how to answer that, other than that we valued family, marraige, education, and avoiding jail at all costs more than most (all races).

Well, obviously there is something about your family that was able to dodge the obstacles that black families typically succumb to. Your family, as well as other black families who have found some type of success in this country, are outliers. While having parents who worked their butts off for us is not unique, what is unique is the difference in outcomes of their children. Children of black parents aren't as well off as children of immigrants.