ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:huhldup:Your parents told you that you shouldn't worry about Black people taken all these loses cause OJ got off. You missing my point I think. It is what it is. The script was written by some white people I bet. Or edited by a white guy. No black person would bring up OJ when comparing to white racist cops getting away with killing innocent unarmed black youth.

No my parents didn't tell me that breh but I've HEARD people say that which is the point I'm making. Again, this shyt isn't new. I've heard black people cite OJ when they talk about "hey, we got that one" whether it's on the news, in interviews, or just old footage or even discussions with people my age when we were in college. It happens, it has happened, and it will continue to happen

When I talk about the discussions my parents had and family had I'm talking about the episode in general. This episode was about how this specific family is dealing with racism. The other shyt, like how his boss feels is inconsequential and missing the point of the episode entirely.

Okay well do this. Go to IMDB, check out the stats on the episode. Look at the producers, the writers, the editors, etc and then we can have that discussion.

Last edited:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
:ehh:I guess it happens in big trials. But I stand by my comments. FP took it there. Blackish didn't. Like the oscars they tippy toeing around the issue to cater to white America and ya'll feel it's catering to the younger generation. Naw. The younger generation isn't dumb. They don't need "Bow" talks that makes everything seem hunky dory. The young generation is on top of issues more than the old heads. They have a bigger voice than we did and are very aware of whats going on with police shooting blacks. They have the internet to tell them what's going on. Unless you got some dumb ass naive kids that you ain't parenting right. The kids know what's going on. I said my piece though. It is what it is.

I see what you mean though I don't necessarily agree them executing the episode in the way you wanted. I don't think they could have necessarily gotten a better episode while still covering the breadth of topics like they did by going the FP route of making it right in your face. Like @MartyMcFly said, they represented a real cross section of the opinions of the black community. I've literally heard every one of the things they mentioned on there (down to the "Chipotle again?") all from people who look just like me. Everyone isn't on the same wave with regards to what the real problem is (and the extent of said problem's existence) and how to arrive at the correct solution.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Dudes really came in here and complained about the miniscule chipotle references after one of the deeper sitcom episodes in modern era:scust:

AA monologue on Barack and Michelle getting out that limo

ws07sj.gif

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
No my parents didn't tell me that breh but I've HEARD people say that which is the point I'm making. Again, this shyt isn't new. I've heard black people cite OJ when they talk about "hey, we got that one" whether it's on the news, in interviews, or just old footage or even discussions with people my age when we were in college. It happens, it has happened, and it will continue to happen

When I talk about the discussions my parents had and family had I'm talking about the episode in general. This episode was about how this specific family is dealing with racism. The other shyt, like how his boss feels is inconsequential and missing the point of the episode entirely.

Okay well do this. Go to IMDB, check out the stats on the episode. Look at the producers, the writers, the editors, etc and then we can have that discussion.
Again breh you missing my point. I said COMPARING OJ to racist white killer cops getting off. They ain't even going to trail breh. NO CHARGES. What black person you know has compared those? Naw breh. I don't see it. They are completely different and irrelevant events, but Blackish decided to compare them. That's my point. Let's just leave it at that though. You right on most of the stuff you said.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see what you mean though I don't necessarily agree them executing the episode in the way you wanted. I don't think they could have necessarily gotten a better episode while still covering the breadth of topics like they did by going the FP route of making it right in your face. Like @MartyMcFly said, they represented a real cross section of the opinions of the black community. I've literally heard every one of the things they mentioned on there (down to the "Chipotle again?") all from people who look just like me. Everyone isn't on the same wave with regards to what the real problem is (and the extent of said problem's existence) and how to arrive at the correct solution.

Exactly. We, at least in this country, aren't monolithic. We don't all have the same opinions and Kenya said this whole thing stemmed from a conversation he had with his son during the Ferguson riots, trying to explain to his son what the deal was but being torn on how much of his values to implant on his son, which is what @RickyGQ said about his cousin. These are conversations that i recognize because I've been a part of them in high school, in college, and now as an adult with friends, family, and classmates

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
:huhldup:Your parents told you that you shouldn't worry about Black people taking all these loses cause OJ got off. You missing my point I think. The script was written by some white people I bet. Or edited by a white guy. No black person would compare OJ to white racist cops getting away with killing innocent unarmed black youth.

The context of that discussion on the episode was MUCH different than you are describing. They never said don't worry because OJ got off. They said that it was ridiculous that black folks have gotten the short end of the stick for so long in this country that they felt the need to embrace the verdict of the OJ trial as one of the rare times black people have won. It was a tangent used in his monologue to describe the feelings of blacks in this country not as a band-aid for said feelings.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
The context of that discussion on the episode was MUCH different than you are describing. They never said don't worry because OJ got off. They said that it was ridiculous that black folks have gotten the short end of the stick for so long in this country that they felt the need to embrace the verdict of the OJ trial as one of the rare times black people have won.
Dre said when are we gonna get a win (after going over all the killer cops getting off). Bow said We got OJ. How is that much different?

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
Dre said when are we gonna get a win (after going over all the killer cops getting off). Bow said We got OJ. How is that much different?

So you ignore Dre's response (which is what I stated above) that completely showed how stupid Bow's "we got OJ" opinion was? It didn't even give the viewer the opportunity to accept that BS before he addressed and refuted the validity of it. I could see if she said we got OJ then they laughed and moved on, but it was obvious that was not the takeaway from that discussion. That would be like taking Carlton's opinion of their police treatment as the message of the FP episode you brought up earlier.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
So you ignore Dre's response (which is what I stated above) that completely showed how stupid Bow's "we got OJ" opinion was? It didn't even give the viewer the opportunity to accept that BS before he addressed and refuted the validity of it. I could see if she said we got OJ then they laughed and moved on, but it was obvious that was not the takeaway from that discussion.
Yea I'm not disagreeing with that. My whole point was that Bow was speaking for white people in this episode. Hence the OJ remark. Dre was solid breh. I almost shed a tear during his end speech too. Don't get me wrong. I loved it. But Like @MartyMcFly said, I'm still a cynic and look for shyt like the hidden Chipotle commercial and Bow's pandering to white America throughout. Everything else was black excellence.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yea I'm not disagreeing with that. My whole point was that Bow was speaking for white people in this episode. Hence the OJ remark. Dre was solid breh. I almost shed a tear during his end speech too. Don't get me wrong. I loved it. But Like @MartyMcFly said, I'm still a cynic and look for shyt like the hidden Chipotle commercial and Bow's pandering to white America throughout. Everything else was black excellence.

And they called her on her being half white so while i wouldn't say it's a stretch, I also wouldn't say that her opinions are native to white people which i think is what me and other cats in here have been saying. But, again, you being from the great white north and since everyone you know feels the same, you aren't privy to the same conversations that the rest of us have or have had. Or the fact that Chipotle has the following of an AME church in the states. Or that they shot this episode in January and the chipotle shyt popped off in February

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps

I see where you're coming from. But if you feel like Bow represents people who think/feel that way, she really didn't even go far enough. I've seen people go harder in FB comment sections than that.

As far as the Chipotle stuff, I even went :leon: when I heard them mention it. It was obvious though realistic.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
But, again, you being from the great white north and since everyone you know feels the same, you aren't privy to the same conversations that the rest of us have or have had.
:ufdup:What are we having right now though breh? Internet opens conversation across all borders. I have family in NJ I discuss this shyt with on FB.
Or the fact that Chipotle has the following of an AME church in the states. Or that they shot this episode in January and the chipotle shyt popped off in February
more:duck:...
Largest Multistate Food Poisoning Outbreaks 2015: #5 Chipotle E. coli

:shaq:shyt popped off last year. Chipotle is tryna bounce back right now. Hence the hidden commercial to the following of an AME church they tryna keep eating their food.
You are naive.:snoop:

Last edited: