ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I can't even front like I don't feel like Bow sometimes. I don't have kids, but I have a little cousin who's going into high school and is one of the only 4 or 5 black kids in the entire school. 10 years ago I was in his shoes and I remember all the slick racist shut the white boys would try to say to me to get a reaction etc. I remember thinking as a teen, that I can't do all the dumb shyt they would do after school cause I knew as the black kid, I'd get in worse trouble than they would.

But my cousin, doesn't seem to have those thoughts or concerns. I remember his pops getting upset that "he thinks it's all good with these white boys" and I remember asking him what if it is though? What if it's not like it was when I was in school. Isn't this what we want? I didn't want to "crush his reality" so to speak. I did take him aside and told him to always watch himself and taught him all the "the rules are different for us" talk etc.

Yeah and I don't have kids either but I felt her on that. I know Anthony Anderson talked about before the episode aired, in how it's difficult as a parent to know how much to tell your kids and when to tell them stuff etc because you want them to be kids and feel free to be a kid. Now grant it, I didn't have the same experience as you growing up and I'm thankful I didn't but my parents still gave me that talk once I got to a certain age. Not for school but just situations outside of school. There's the balance of wanting to be real with your kids but also not wanting them to be too cynical and too jaded before they even get a chance to experience stuff for themselves. Life is rough enough.

I know cats in the coli think it's a sin to watch scandal, but some of the realist shyt I've heard on tv was in an episode of that when Olivia's dad reminded her that he always told her she needed to be twice as good to get half of what a white person has because she's black and because she's a woman.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yeah and I don't have kids either but I felt her on that. I know Anthony Anderson talked about before the episode aired, in how it's difficult as a parent to know how much to tell your kids and when to tell them stuff etc because you want them to be kids and feel free to be a kid. Now grant it, I didn't have the same experience as you growing up and I'm thankful I didn't but my parents still gave me that talk once I got to a certain age. Not for school but just situations outside of school. There's the balance of wanting to be real with your kids but also not wanting them to be too cynical and too jaded before they even get a chance to experience stuff for themselves. Life is rough enough.

I know cats in the coli think it's a sin to watch scandal, but some of the realist shyt I've heard on tv was in an episode of that when Olivia's dad reminded her that he always told her she needed to be twice as good to get half of what a white person has because she's black and because she's a woman.

Still remember the day my pops told me that. At like 8.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Im from the projects
I aint met a good cop my whole life

When i was 11 this fakkit pig stole my Mets hat
Took the shyt right off my head in front of my friends
I here you

I had a coach who was a cop. White guy, really nice. Every time I have been pulled over it's been smooth. But even though I have been lucky so far I don't project my personal experiences on others when I know what police are capable of.

Sorry about your hat:mjcry:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I here you

I had a coach who was a cop. White guy, really nice. Every time I have been pulled over it's been smooth. But even though I have been lucky so far I don't project my personal experiences on others when I know what police are capable of.

Sorry about your hat:mjcry:
The funny thing is
Because im from a place of just black and spanish folks
White police men were my FIRST experience of racism
Of course hispanics were on that shyt too but not as blatant
I been called ****** so many times by the cops
And we had NO black cops lol
None
This one guy used to steal my cigarettes
To the point where i didnt even being the shyts outside with me anymore :deadmanny:

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Wow.... the most recent episode is one of the best sitcom episodes I ever saw :wow: perfect blend of humor and social commentary. I'm usually not a fan of social commentary in sitcoms but I gotta give Black-ish there props for this one, the end of the episode kinda made me :mjcry:

Maybe I'm caught up in the moment, but this episode is up there with those classic Fresh Prince episodes where Uncle Phil went in on the cops who locked up Will & Calton and the "Why he don't want me! :damn: episode.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
what's his boss think about all this though? :jbhmm::lolbron:
:lupe:First episode we didn't get the white mans perspective.

Another reason I felt Bow was speaking for the white people in this episode. :comeon:
Bringing up OJ like that's supposed to compensate for all the racist killer cops that weren't charged/convicted. :pacspit:

Even Dre's mom was like:ufdup:after she said that.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:mindblown:First episode we didn't get the white mans perspective.

Another reason I felt Bow was speaking for the white people in this episode. :comeon:
Bringing up OJ like that's supposed to compensate for all the racist killer cops that weren't charged/convicted. :pacspit:

Breh, Anthony Anderson said this episode was specifically about how you talk to your kids about this kinda thing and how you deal with it as a family. The outside stuff wasn't important to what they were going for. just peep Kenya Barris' EW interview

'Black-ish' showrunner hopes police brutality episode 'motivates some change'

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Breh, Anthony Anderson said this episode was specifically about how you talk to your kids about this kinda thing and how you deal with it as a family. The outside stuff wasn't important to what they were going for. just peep Kenya Barris' EW interview

'Black-ish' showrunner hopes police brutality episode 'motivates some change'
:comeon:I'm sure he didn't write the whole episode breh. It's an ABC show. If you don't think there's subliminal marketing and messages in these prime time shows I feel kinda sorry for you.

Don't be naive breh. OJ. Really? I wonder why they brought his name up for:pachaha:.

Daps
Good episode, def not the strongest.

But this is an unfunny subject so it's tough to deal with without being being disrespectful. I thought they did that well. Zoey's moment was weak, and they had a bunch of corny jokes in attempt to lighten the mood (the whole Chipotle placement), but they also had some gems in there.

I'm surprised no one noted the subtle homage to Furious Styles when they did Dre's Malcolm X flashback:
98D6AWF.jpg

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
The FB comments :dead:

black-ish

One girl was slaying people left and right :heh:

Fresh Prince's Driving While Black Episode was def > This

And that episode came out in the 90's but at least was brave enough to take it there and put Will and Carlton in a cell and Phil confront the racist cops.

Blaskish played it a little too safe with the campy family sitting around the tv talking storyline.

Ending with the kids basically saying "I'm lost" "I'm confused" didn't serve the story any justice either.

And what court gives a verdict at night?

Episode would have been great if Jr actually went to go riot or we actually saw what Zoey was discussing online.

Then we have to see an ad for Oscar so white with Chris Rock pop up on some subliminal shyt during the episode.

Also, the obvious Chipotle advertising throughout the episode was just horrible. Try and sell black people virus laced Mexican food while touching on an important issue.

FOH

It's really apples and oranges when trying to compare the Fresh Prince episode to this one. The FP episode was dope but it came from a different/singular angle. You mostly got one side and perspective of the story and aside from the last 3 minutes when Phil snapped and got them out of jail and back to the house, it was mostly comedy.

Black-ish attempted to capture what's going on from a number of different angles from the way the media covers these types of cases to the differing perspectives on the bias in how black people are policed, to the effects of these problems on young kids who still have to grow up in this shyt.

The Trayvon Martin verdict (which directly correlates to this story) was announced on a Saturday night.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
The Trayvon Martin verdict (which directly correlates to this story) was announced on a Saturday night.

:ehh:I guess it happens in big trials. But I stand by my comments. FP took it there. Blackish didn't. Like the oscars they tippy toeing around the issue to cater to white America and ya'll feel it's catering to the younger generation. Naw. The younger generation isn't dumb. They don't need "Bow" talks that makes everything seem hunky dory. The young generation is on top of issues more than the old heads. They have a bigger voice than we did and are very aware of whats going on with police shooting blacks. They have the internet to tell them what's going on. Unless you got some dumb ass naive kids that you ain't parenting right. The kids know what's going on. I said my piece though. It is what it is.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:comeon:I'm sure he didn't write the whole episode breh. It's an ABC show. If you don't think there's subliminal marketing and messages in these prime time shows I feel kinda sorry for you.

Don't be naive breh. OJ. Really? I wonder why they brought his name up for:pachaha:.

Because, again, there are people, BLACK people ,who will say that breh. Maybe the shyt doesn't translate because you're not from this country so stuff like that has no impact but these are conversations black people in America have. My parents had these conversations. My grandparents did. My friends do. This shyt isn't new. And Kenya is speaking from his perspective and the perspective of his writers which he talks about and has talked about. I'm not going to be cynical like you breh, I'm not saying there's no value in it but that's now how I'm built or wired, especially when it comes to something like this that's important and was done well and I can relate to because I've experienced that shyt

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
One girl was slaying people left and right :heh:

It's really apples and oranges when trying to compare the Fresh Prince episode to this one. The FP episode was dope but it came from a different/singular angle. You mostly got one side and perspective of the story and aside from the last 3 minutes when Phil snapped and got them out of jail and back to the house, it was mostly comedy.

Black-ish attempted to capture what's going on from a number of different angles from the way the media covers these types of cases to the differing perspectives on the bias in how black people are policed, to the effects of these problems on young kids who still have to grow up in this shyt.

Exactly

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Because, again, there are people, BLACK people ,who will say that breh. Maybe the shyt doesn't translate because you're not from this country so stuff like that has no impact but these are conversations black people in America have. My parents had these conversations. My grandparents did. My friends do. This shyt isn't new. And Kenya is speaking from his perspective and the perspective of his writers which he talks about and has talked about. I'm not going to be cynical like you breh, I'm not saying there's no value in it but that's now how I'm built or wired, especially when it comes to something like this that's important and was done well and I can relate to because I've experienced that shyt
:huhldup:Your parents told you that you shouldn't worry about Black people taking all these loses cause OJ got off. You missing my point I think. The script was written by some white people I bet. Or edited by a white guy. No black person would compare OJ to white racist cops getting away with killing innocent unarmed black youth.