ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I feel that. Nonetheless, books on it and whatnot are still a good thing overall.

Most definitely. Knowledge is always a good thing. But there are cats who act as if that knowledge can only come from one person or one specific source and then there's the propensity of some cats to take it as Gospel. As illustrated with the Malcolm X/Furious Styles flashback

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
You guys go in on CACS but support a show that degrades your culture and your People:russ:

And BtW fukk this show

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Dope dope episode. Ham fisted with how shyt was thrown in but what was thrown in was on point. It didn't go for the easy hook, it portrayed everything in a complex nuanced way and Anthony Anderson's speech to Bo was incredible. Especially because I remember feeling the same exact way. Almost made me tear up. But aside from how powerful it was, it was also funny
Loved the episode. I love how any topic they bring up they at least try to throw in consenting opinions. AA killed it. Zoey's tantrum was horrible and I wasn't totally feeling the sitcom wrap up of them going to protest but overall love them tackling topics like this while still having plenty of comedy still. I ended up spitting up some food at Jack's "of course he had no weapon, he had no arms".

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I like this show...but this one was too corny to enjoy. This is clearly for those who are asleep. This was overly hamfisted.

Good effort though. I'm a fan of the show regardless.

Fresh Prince's Driving While Black Episode was def > This

And that episode came out in the 90's but at least was brave enough to take it there and put Will and Carlton in a cell and Phil confront the racist cops.

Blaskish played it a little too safe with the campy family sitting around the tv talking storyline.

Ending with the kids basically saying "I'm lost" "I'm confused" didn't serve the story any justice either.

And what court gives a verdict at night?

Episode would have been great if Jr actually went to go riot or we actually saw what Zoey was discussing online.

Then we have to see an ad for Oscar so white with Chris Rock pop up on some subliminal shyt during the episode.

Also, the obvious Chipotle advertising throughout the episode was just horrible. Try and sell black people virus laced Mexican food while touching on an important issue.

FOH

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Fresh Prince's Driving While Black Episode >>> This

And that episode came out in the 90's but at least was brave enough to take it there and put Will and Carlton in a cell and Phil confront the racist cops.

Blaskish played it a little too safe with the campy family sitting around the tv talking storyline.

Ending with the kids basically saying "I'm lost" "I'm confused" didn't serve the story any justice either.

And what court gives a verdict at night?

Episode would have been great if Jr actually went to go riot or we actually saw what Zoey was discussing online.

Then we have to see an ad for Oscar so white with Chris Rock pop up on some subliminal shyt during the episode.

Also, the obvious Chipotle advertising throughout the episode was just horrible. Try and sell black people virus laced Mexican food while touching on an important issue.

FOH

I think it did serve the story well breh because not everyone knows the right answer with regards to how you should be with cops or with the us government or anything. Every person has to have that answer for themselves. No book can tell you, no parent can tell you or no wife or husband. And for a bunch of kids in high school it's probably not easy for cats those age to know exactly what to do or how to feel. Everyone processs shyt differently

And lol calm down with the chipotle breh. They more than likely shot this way before the chipotle shyt went down and idk about Canada but in this country, at least in the DC area, chipotle was like church.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I think it did serve the story well breh because not everyone knows the right answer with regards to how you should be with cops or with the us government or anything. Every person has to have that answer for themselves. No book can tell you, no parent can tell you or no wife or husband. And for a bunch of kids in high school it's probably not easy for cats those age to know exactly what to do or how to feel. Everyone processs shyt differently

And lol calm down with the chipotle breh. They more than likely shot this way before the chipotle shyt went down and idk about Canada but in this country, at least in the DC area, chipotle was like church.
I found the Chipotle shyt a little too obvious. They been in the news for the last few months, now it's fukk getting sushi, chinese, fried chicken. I want Chipotle. FOH. How much did they pay Blackish to say that shyt to do damage control on the brand. lol

Also, I can pick almost any black sitcom from the 80's 90's that have done better episodes about racism and police brutality. This shyt felt almost like a commercial with all the convenient "facts" and "numbers" they were throwing around. Tryna make it seem like if you have a weapon on you you can expect to get shot by police. FOH. What about all the white folks that walk around with guns. Why aren't they getting shot up in America? ABC really made it seem like half of the black population is for Black Lives Matters and the other half is on Bow's side. We may not know the true numbers, but she was really speaking for white people throughout the whole episode. Dre had to give that speech, and even the whole Obama walking on the street reference was a reach from what they were actually debating. WTF does that have to do with innocent black kids getting shot and killed. They only brought that shyt up cause it's an election year and they wanna remind people that even after a Black President, nothing has changed so don't vote black again. I really felt like there was a lot of subliminal messages to white america in this episode. Black people ate it up, but white people felt a lot better about themselves after they watched it I bet.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I found the Chipotle shyt a little too obvious. They been in the news for the last few months, now it's fukk getting sushi, chinese, fried chicken. I want Chipotle. FOH. How much did they pay Blackish to say that shyt to do damage control on the brand. lol

Also, I can pick almost any black sitcom from the 80's 90's that have done better episodes about racism and police brutality. This shyt felt almost like a commercial with all the convenient "facts" and "numbers" they were throwing around. Tryna make it seem like if you have a weapon on you you can expect to get shot by police. FOH. What about all the white folks that walk around with guns. Why aren't they getting shot up in America? ABC really made it seem like half of the black population is for Black Lives Matters and the other half is on Bow's side. We may not know the true numbers, but she was really speaking for white people throughout the whole episode. Dre had to give that speech, and even the whole Obama walking on the street reference was a reach from what they were actually debating. WTF does that have to do with innocent black kids getting shot and killed. They only brought that shyt up cause it's an election year and they wanna remind people that even after a Black President, nothing has changed so don't vote black again. I really felt like there was a lot of subliminal messages to white america in this episode. Black people ate it up, but white people felt a lot better about themselves after they watched it I bet.

The Obama thing has a lot to do with it. He was talking about the state of the country not just innocent people being killed. He mentioned it to talk about the fear that he and Bo had and that I fukkin had during the inauguration and its something that we shouldn't have. It's not just about police brutality it's about systemic racism and how systemic racism makes you feel or makes you think. The episode was about more than just someone being killed for no reason. It was about the history of race in this country, which black ish has always talked about and putting this incident in a larger context. No person should feel like their president will be shot during an inauguration or that one race won't let another race have this W without snatching it from them. That's our country.

And to say she's speaking for white people is also reductive because these are conversations that I've had with my black friends or family members and everyone has different opinions. What Bo was saying isn't new to me because I've heard it, I've discussed it and I've been on both sides of it. That's why I can't knock the episode or look it at the way you do because I've had these same talks with African American people I love and we've had long long talks about this shyt. That's why I said not everyone in the community feels the same. Everyone knows there is a problem but not everyone wants to solve it the same way. That's nothing different from the civil rights era where different factions and groups all knew what the issue was but had different ways to achieve the same goal. So to portray it as a monolith like @wire28 said, would've been incredibly false.

And again I can't speak for you and yours breh but I know many a black person in this part of the country who can relate to "fukk we're having chipotle again, aren't we?"

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Fair enough. I still think they was slipping in subliminals but thats just me since I tend to see things differently. Also I'm not American so if theres a large black number that feels like Bow I havent witnessed that. Most if not all black people I speak to in Canada feel exactly how Dre feels regarding police shooting black people in America. Bow making too many excuses imo. Murder is murder. Cops are murdering blacks. Point blank. That is an issue in itself. That was the only issue I was really concerned bout watching this episode. That Obama shyt was just cause of the elections this year imo. They were subliminally saying that Obama's mission for change and hope failed since they still fear the racist system. They dont even want him to nominate a new Supreme court judge. smh. Thats how I took it. Blackish has addressed racism in other episodes better than this though. It all just seemed forced with no actual message or moral. Unless the moral was give up hope. I'll watch it again though. fukk Chipotle too. We eat Burrito Boyz in Canada. pause.

Last edited: